• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well, the whip you do a whipping action (as what you will be doing in the game) And the bomb once equipped, you raise it above your head and throw it or roll it (Like what you actually will be doing in the game). I see no need for an ISS here.

The bottle you "could" do a bottle snagging motion (idk what you will be doing in the game)

But some of the other ones you mentioned I can see how it might be a problem. Maybe if they do some items without the ISS that work that would be a step in the right direction.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't know what you mean by "won". We both expressed and clarified our different viewpoints and came to a solution that is effectively "middle of the road". Debating isn't about "winning". Well, not to me at least.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Wow.

I don't think I've ever seen anybody actually win an argument on a forum before. That's a first.
You only say that because you saw LT actually accept someone else's opinion, whereas he has never before and probably never will submit to you.

finalark

SNORLAX
You only say that because you saw LT actually accept someone else's opinion, whereas he has never before and probably never will submit to you.
LT actually accept someone else's opinion,
I step out for a few days and suddenly the impossible happens. I'm going to have to go back a few pages and read that debate.

EDIT: That was an interesting little read. I actually kind of like the idea of just doing a motion to use your stuff.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Well, we recently got a few "new" screenshots:

It appears that there has been a palette change in order to make the game look darker and less colorful. For the fans of the new colorful, impressionist style, I don't know if you'll appreciate this change. IMO, though, I think there is a possibility that the developers made this change to Hyrule and not Skyloft, and it's actually symbolism, since Hyrule is supposedly evil, whereas Skyloft is good and peaceful.

Tacel

Smash Lord
From Zelda Universe.
I thought that it was pretty cool.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
It looks like the graphics are getting a bit better in my opinion. Almost bought Wiimote plus for this...but they're making the remote with it inside of the remote, so...

finalark

SNORLAX
I think the only reason why they made it darker was everyone *****ing about it not being "mature" enough or some similar bull****.

But that's just me.

Ct.O.B.

Smash Apprentice
I like it. My only concern is that there won't be enough color to fit with the bright environments (mushrooms, trees, blue skies... this side-note could go in a Mario thread!)

Tinnitus

Smash Apprentice
I like the change, not that its more "mature", but it just looks more fitting to the games appearing style.

Wait, they are making Wiimotes with motion plus inside them now? Nintendo, get your s*** together and decide what you wanna do! lol

Spire

III
BRoomer
I don't like the change. It doesn't feel as unique and wholesome anymore. Though, it's apparent that they upped the quality of textures on trees and such, so that's good.

IYM!

Smash Lord
this new game seems more a fairytale than a story of legend.
the mushroom in the forests are ridiculously childish, and take away the saga seriously. the enemies are caricatured and they are not even able to intimidate a 10 year old boy (at 11 I remove the fear by ReDead).

after the great atwork than nintendo reveled before (Link with the blue girl) I thought the new Zelda was going to look better, more serious, as was OoT.

But before see the SWS trailer... well, Nintendo is ruining the Zelda reputation.
With the release of OoT, the Zelda series has acquired a unique reputation, everone know about the Zelda. but after WW, all went down. Del:

the only ones who still follow the saga are the Fans, we wait with cravings every game, and dont Judging from or criticize, just say the game is good, no matter the appearance.

But, let's be honest, do you really prefer to explore a place like this?

With a Link like this?

With enemies like this?

Or prefer to explore a place like this?

with daunting enemies

(for the time, their appearance and difficulty were spectacular and dark)

With a Link like this?

not take this comment the wrong way, it's just that I can not stand to read the comments, which compliment the graphic quality, Is good, But color is not something that matches the depth of the history of Zelda games. Is OK for a Mario or DK game, but dont maches with a Zelda game

kupo15

Smash Hero
Im a little disappointed in the way link looks and I agree about the enemies. Heck, I remember asking my mom if I could get OOT and she asked the rating, I thought of the Skeletons and said "M." I srsly thought it was lol But I soon found out it wasn't and got it :)

For me, I actually have more qualms about the controls even though I agree with you. But who knows, maybe there is a dark realistic version of the game that they just haven't shown yet. Like the light and dark world. I hear there is something similar in this game?

Spire

III
BRoomer
There's Skyloft and Hyrule. Seeing as how all the screenshots we've seen thus far are from Hyrule, don't count on some super dark setting.

@IYM! - I think Ninty screwed the pooch when they released that concept art at E3 2009, hyping everyone up to a darker, more realistic Zelda, and then come E3 2010, delivered something almost entirely different. I was honestly disappointed at first, but everything Skyward Sword has grown on me. The style feels like a 3D ALttP, which is awesome.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Oh really? Its all hyrule? How do you know? I guess they pulled another WW on us. Now that I think about it, that enemy screenshot looks like a 3d version of the LoZ enemies.

IYM!

Smash Lord
The style feels like a 3D ALttP, which is awesome.
i disagree with you in this part, maybe ALttP was a little little little little Little childish, almost anything, but that was for the graphics limitations in that time, the ALttP was very dark, and the story and events was sudden and gave it a special respite to the Zelda series. SWS, looks like a WW, the story was good (sadly) but the cell shader stlyle kill all the seriously.

no matter what arguments i hear, nintendo disappointed me to change the look of a mature Zelda for a colorful and childish.

We will not realize, when we see Link dress like a plumber, jumping mushrooms and rescuing a helpless princess from a grotesque pig, out of a bedtime story

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
i disagree with you in this part, maybe ALttP was a little little little little Little childish, almost anything, but that was for the graphics limitations in that time, the ALttP was very dark, and the story and events was sudden and gave it a special respite to the Zelda series. SWS, looks like a WW, the story was good (sadly) but the cell shader stlyle kill all the seriously.

no matter what arguments i hear, nintendo disappointed me to change the look of a mature Zelda for a colorful and childish.

We will not realize, when we see Link dress like a plumber, jumping mushrooms and rescuing a helpless princess from a grotesque pig, out of a bedtime story
LttP wasn't very dark. You turn into a cute pink bunny halfway through for goodness sake.

And Zelda remains to be an incredibly profitable franchise, no matter how much you think a more whimsical art-style has "killed it"

It's fine to be disappointed with a more colorful and bright art style (it's dumb, but fine) but think about it...You complain about the game looking like a fairy tale, when from the very beginning the concept of Zelda is "a fairy kid killing things with a sword and exploring the world". It's fantastical, and it should be. Why do you want some grim, depressing, uninspiring world? That TP screen you posted is incredibly dull looking. Don't you have enough grit and "maturity" with the endless military FPS's and RPG games like Fallout 3, or even "brutal" fantasy like God of War?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Just wanna say something.

In OoT, the parts I enjoyed the most were parts like daytime Hyrule field with the cheerful music playing and the bright colors. The dungeons weren't too fun.

Same goes for TP, I loved Ordon village, Hyrule Field, Kakakrkakakriaiko village (never been able to spell it), and the like because of it's bright atmosphere and I disliked the twilight areas.

I simply enjoy brighter areas.

But what I DON'T enjoy are the Windwaker-esque enemies making a comeback. I want OoT and TP enemies, not pigs with earrings.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I don't mind the art style because in the end, the gameplay is what its all about to me.

Yea, I don't care for the pigs and Tbh, I even don't like how the deku's do the tongue smacking thing since WW

My question is why did they decide to just now make the combat more complicated with the deku shrubs and stuff? Put this game in the OOT controls and you can go through the game just fine.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Because this is the wii, a system whose main unique function is motion control. It would be a complete waste if Zelda didn't make extensive use of the motion control/motion+

so, they built the game around the motion sensing. It's about time, I'm sick of OoT style.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
this new game seems more a fairytale than a story of legend.
the mushroom in the forests are ridiculously childish, and take away the saga seriously. the enemies are caricatured and they are not even able to intimidate a 10 year old boy (at 11 I remove the fear by ReDead).

after the great atwork than nintendo reveled before (Link with the blue girl) I thought the new Zelda was going to look better, more serious, as was OoT.

But before see the SWS trailer... well, Nintendo is ruining the Zelda reputation.
With the release of OoT, the Zelda series has acquired a unique reputation, everone know about the Zelda. but after WW, all went down. Del:

the only ones who still follow the saga are the Fans, we wait with cravings every game, and dont Judging from or criticize, just say the game is good, no matter the appearance.

But, let's be honest, do you really prefer to explore a place like this?

With a Link like this?

With enemies like this?

Or prefer to explore a place like this?

with daunting enemies

(for the time, their appearance and difficulty were spectacular and dark)

With a Link like this?

not take this comment the wrong way, it's just that I can not stand to read the comments, which compliment the graphic quality, Is good, But color is not something that matches the depth of the history of Zelda games. Is OK for a Mario or DK game, but dont maches with a Zelda game
So you claim that Zelda is a "story of legend" and not a fairytale? Define "story of legend". What evidence presented in Zelda games supports your interpretation of Zelda in the sense that it is not a fairytale? Hyrule is a fantastical world that consists of magical fairies, castles, goddesses, forest children that never grow into adulthood, massive talking trees, fire-breathing dragons, and many more aspects that render the Zelda series as a definite fairytale.

Also, you used the words "ridiculously childish". If you pay close attention to the manner in which past Zelda games have been designed, you should find that many titles of the Zelda series have been designed especially for children. OoT is an excellent example. It presents the feeling that the player is Link and emulates the childish emotions of fear, timidity, wonder, and curiosity, while establishing the fascination and marvel of growing up.

What also bugs me is that you compared OoT's art style to that of TP in a manner that portrays them to be identical, when they clearly are not. They are both fantastical but in different ways; OoT's art style exhibits more of a magical, fairytale atmosphere while TP's art style is more epic and medieval-styled.

And finally, I prefer exploring a world in the fantastical style of SS to the medieval-styled atmosphere of TP because I greatly appreciate the fairytale-styled universe that has so long represented my favorite video game series.

Near²

Banned via Warnings
I like how IYM posted a screenshot of TP to make his point about a better landscape and then posts a screenshot of a beta version of OoT to demonstrate better enemies lol.

I personally don't like the current art direction SW is going at, though.

IYM!

Smash Lord
Apparently most of the fans here are old school, I'm fond of the game through Ocarina of Time, and all I ask is that the next Zelda game was back to being as ocarina.

@Luigitoilet: LoL, I forgot the rabbit, but overall, the game was not as colorful and bright as SWS, about your argument, you are right, the originals Zeldas are more like a fairy tale, with dragons an those kind of stuff, but the truth, I would like to see this series, turned into something more serious, such as achievement at its ocarina of time.

With regard to the environments, I disagree with you, hyrule fields seen in TP were not boring, even more, were very pleasing to the eye, were beautiful and not exaggerated the use of flowers and other colorful things.

Another point, which I think you misunderstood me was my comment about a darker Zelda, I never asked for a extremely dark Zelda or a emo Zelda. I just want to see plot twists in the story that leave the player without words, and, aided by more serious atmosphere, that the scene will be even more memorable.

Of course not, I would like to see my favorite saga turned into an extremely violent game like God of War. The truth, imagining Link, cutting the head of Ganon and exive on the balcony of the castle, is a scene that would never see. That kind of violence does not fit into the Zelda series.

@Phantom 7: You have reason, originally in OoT, the history was looking like more a fairy-tale. But with the time and the plot drafts, this one could transform in a history with great more depth. And without the serious appearance that OoT was presenting, these plot drafts would not have been so striking.

@Near²: LoL,about the picture, well I could not find one better :laugh:

kupo15

Smash Hero
Because this is the wii, a system whose main unique function is motion control. It would be a complete waste if Zelda didn't make extensive use of the motion control/motion+

so, they built the game around the motion sensing. It's about time, I'm sick of OoT style.
So you'd rather have your arm tired? I'm not. I wish I could at least have the option

Ayatsuri_Rinku

Smash Cadet
i just gotta come in and say, if you think skyward sword looks childish and dumb, you're not a very good zelda fan. half of them are childish looking.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I'm going to be so deep into the game that I won't care how much my arm hurts - if it even begins hurting at all.

@Ayatsuri Rinku: You are absolutely right. The only Zelda game that is not childish looking at all is TP, and SS honestly isn't nearly as childish looking as the cel-shaded games (Don't take this the wrong way, though, I actually really like the cel-shaded style).

Ayatsuri_Rinku

Smash Cadet
I'm going to be so deep into the game that I won't care how much my arm hurts - if it even begins hurting at all.

@Ayatsuri Rinku: You are absolutely right. The only Zelda game that is not childish looking at all is TP, and SS honestly isn't nearly as childish looking as the cel-shaded games (Don't take this the wrong way, though, I actually really like the cel-shaded style).
yea I love the cel shadedness. i dont see why people would be complaining about the way Skyward Sword looks. it's as colourful as OoT. TP was really, the first realistically looking zelda game (although I guess OoT looked dark when it first came out). so why are people having problems with the way SS looks when zelda games have looked like this all along?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
OoT wasn't even particularly dark except in the appropriate areas. I feel its lack of vibrant colors and exuberance were because of the graphical limitations of the N64, not a true stylistic choice.

Ayatsuri_Rinku

Smash Cadet
OoT wasn't even particularly dark except in the appropriate areas. I feel its lack of vibrant colors and exuberance were because of the graphical limitations of the N64, not a true stylistic choice.
true, if it were on the gamecube they probably would have made it look like TP.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I think OoT would probably have a SS-esque theme to it rather than TP would it have come out on the GCN.

Top Bottom