• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
It is a continuation of Wind Waker, in a way. They said that this new zelda is set after WW (they didn't say how long after, so I am guessing a hundred or so years)

The entire Reign of Sorrows theory that was spreading around, although almost 100% fake, accually grew more popularity from this trailer.

For those who dont know it (if it was posted earlier, sorry), the Reign of Sorrow theory was that early on, Link would rescure a horse from a flood. The horse was a powerfull spirit named Poiseden, who decided to help Link for saving him. Poiseden wore the Reigns of Sorrow (Reign, as in what it put on horses to steer them), which would let him turn into diffrent animals to help link. The animals listed were Eagle, and Wolf, and some say boar, though I think that they added that after trailer (the wolf was always in there, though).

Oh, and one thing I am really hoping for in this next game is harder difficulty. The enemies in Zelda (3d ones) have always been wimps, and easily beaten. In WW, most of the enemies would only take 1/4 of a heart. If you only had 5 hearts, they would have to hit you 20 times to kill. Thats pretty sad. Even worse is that you usually have around 15-20 hearts. Even the main boss, Gannon, only took 4 hearts. He would have had to hit you 5 times to kill you, which isn't that bad, except that you have 4 bottles with fairies, which means he would have to hit you 20 times to kill you. And Gannon was a pretty easy main boss. The only thing in that game that was difficult for me was Puppet Gannon, and the mirror puzzle (I think in Earth Temple).

I know the game is mainly about puzzles, but puzzles dont kill you. If the new puzzles had a chance to kill you (not stuff like went wrong path, you fall down, go the next way next time procces of elimination crap), then the combat wouldn't really matter that much. But doing that would make it harder for all the mini bosses and main bosses, since that is also combat.

Oh, and although this is pretty random, that Boar is way too big for link to have hijacked it. No boar that we have seen is anywhere near that big. I think its his, or some mini-game.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Call me boring, but I really hope that this game isn't too much different to OoT...in fact, I wouldn't mind at all if it was an exact carbon copy with better graphics...but that's just me...watching that new video I saw new things that seem kinda different...like the super realism and that wolf thing at the end...that whole image doesn't fit with the zelda theme to me...for some reason, I'm a but worried that it'll be really different...kinda like how battlefield vietnam was kinda missing the battlefield 1942 element, simply because the levels were all swampy with a lot more vegetation...as long as nintendo sticks to the theme, it should be kickass...

DukieMan1223

Smash Lord
Does anyone find it odd that the shield next to Link in the artwork on the last page is the same shield from A Link to the Past. Possibility of a connection between the two games?

And I don't like this animal business. I just don't think a mighty morphin critter fits in very well with the Zelda series.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Fierce Deity Vegeta
Call me boring, but I really hope that this game isn't too much different to OoT...in fact, I wouldn't mind at all if it was an exact carbon copy with better graphics...but that's just me...watching that new video I saw new things that seem kinda different...like the super realism and that wolf thing at the end...that whole image doesn't fit with the zelda theme to me...for some reason, I'm a but worried that it'll be really different...kinda like how battlefield vietnam was kinda missing the battlefield 1942 element, simply because the levels were all swampy with a lot more vegetation...as long as nintendo sticks to the theme, it should be kickass...
Am I the only one who doesn't think this game looks super realistic? I mean, sure, it looks great, but it doesn't look realistic. Link's movements are a bit cartoonish, and everything just doesn't move like they do in real life. Although, if Nintendo is trying to make this game scary or something (which I kind of hope they don't), they better get some better undead things. Those things look so silly xD But they look Zelda, so here's hoping it's not the main focus of the game.

I don't know, I rather like the Reigns of Sorrow idea, but whatever. Really though, while I don't want them to deviate too far from OoT, I don't just want a clone of it. OoT was awesome at all, but having two OoT would kind of be... ********.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
DukieMan1223, I doubt it; the shield Link is carrying is the Hylian Shield used only in OoT and that strikes me as quite a bit more significant than anyone seems to be considering. Then again, maybe they just got sick of the Hero's Shield... Who knows. Besides, call me cynical, but MK's cried wolf (or Reigns, to be precise) a little too much in the last few pages for me to trust that image is authentic without a source. Sorry MK, you're gonna have to earn this one...
JediMasterYoda98, I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree with you on this one, other than to say this; it's not too realistic. I mean, I really don't think Link would work as a hyper realistic character. I don't ever want to see blood in a Zelda game. Conversely I didn't think he worked as a complete cartoon. I cannot tell you how much I despised Link's leaping butt-grab reaction to lava in WW. I guess you could say that I prefer him to be somewhere in the middle, leaning a bit more to the realistic side. However, I note that exageration is a part of many good video game characters, including Link.
Personally, I like this whole darker, creepier feel so far. Not to say that I think all Zelda games should be like this, or that it should be taken to extremes (blood dripping zombies, decapitated ghosts, what have you...), but I think the games could take a few steps in the less bright and cheerful direction. Additionally, I'd really hate to see this game lose its sense of humor. If there is no animal (preferably chickens, but I suppose cats will do) which I can abuse to the point of being savagely attacked by millions of them, I will be very dissapointed indeed.
I think that's all I want to say for now... 99th post... Two years, and its only my 99th post... wow...

hero_oftime333

Smash Cadet
Five words. Most beautiful thing I saw. T_T Why can't they release it sooner?!! This is #1 on my wishlist.

Night Strife

Banned via Administration
Well the name is The Reins of Sorrow, I forget if thats offical or still a rumor. Well there is suppose to be morphing horse or something, that he rides. I'm probably wrong, so I'd wait till somewho knoews what there talking about comes along.....or if you have time, read the rest of the 30 pages ^_^

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by hero_oftime333
Five words. Most beautiful thing I saw. T_T Why can't they release it sooner?!! This is #1 on my wishlist.
Cause then we'd have another Star Fox Assault....

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by Cashed
Star Fox Assault was in development for over two years.
And sadly it was still rushed near the end.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Originally posted by Night Strife
Well the name is The Reins of Sorrow, I forget if thats offical or still a rumor. Well there is suppose to be morphing horse or something, that he rides. I'm probably wrong, so I'd wait till somewho knoews what there talking about comes along.....or if you have time, read the rest of the 30 pages ^_^
That is the first post on this page. And it is still a rumor.

Smashman

Smash Champion
Portland, Connecticut, U.S.A., Earth, Milky Way Ga
I just hope this makes up for The Wind Waker. Man, that game was disappointing. Very, very good, but very, very disappointing. It was short, easy, rushed, and monotonous.

Ocarina of Time, however, is a classic and the best game of all-time, along with A Link to the Past.

I just hope this lives up to both of them.

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've heard rumors that when you pre-order this game you will get a re-make of wind waker done with the new, realistic graphics. It will also have two dungeons that were cut out of the original because its length was "too difficult" for people of "all ages."

Someone said they saw it in a magazine. Hopefully not just a rumor.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Because Nintendo would rather waste time to re-create an old game in a new graphics engine for $10 a pop, then finish the new one.

Smashman

Smash Champion
Portland, Connecticut, U.S.A., Earth, Milky Way Ga
Ocarina of Time is not only my the best Zelda game, but the best game ever. Period.

Let's compare it to The Wind Waker.

The Wind Waker was short, easy, rushed, and monotonous. It had no variety what-so-ever. It had sea, occasional island, sea... There were only 2 temples in the game (Earth and Wind), with 2 earlier dungeons, and one mid-game one. The entire game just felt rushed and incomplete. A half-Zelda, if you will. Most of the items were cheesy, and I never wanted to collect EVERYTHING. The places- I never felt compelled to explore. The game was incredibly short, and did not live up to OoT at all. 6/10.

Ocarina of Time, on the other hand, is simply a classic, and is the best game ever, IMHO. It was very long, challenging, it felt rushed and complete, and it had great variety. I mean it had forests, plains, castles, towns, mountains, rivers, caverns, lakes, deserts. There were 5 superb, varying temples (Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Spirit), and three superb earlier dungeons, plus the final Ganon's dungeon. Most of the items were useful, and had their own specific purpose. I actually WANTED to explore every nook and cranny to find EVERYTHING, unlike tWW where I just went after stuff for no other reason than to get it. I WANTED to collect EVERYTHING. I loved OoT's world so much, but tWW's felt desolate. I would rate the game 10/10, and is the ONLY game I would rate 10/10.

All right. Enough of my ranting. Let's just hope that this new one lives up to Ocarina of Time. :)

DukieMan1223

Smash Lord
We all know that OoT is a great game, but does every single person have to hold it as what all Zelda games should be like. I thought WW worked just fine because it was different from anything everdone. It offered something completely new and different from every other game in the market with its massive exploration. I still have fun traveling the waters, visiting my favorite islands.

I can't wait til Zelda 05 comes out, people will still gripe about how it doesn't measure up to OoT.

I want a fresh new game not OoT all over again.

:starman: Two thizzousand, *****es :starman:

The rAt

Smash Ace
DukieMan1223, the thing is that different does not mean good. I mean, they could have made Link a stick figure and it sure would have been different, but it wouldn't have been good. I see what you mean, that they can't just rehash the same exact stuff over and over again, and this new Zelda should not just be the same old OoT on steroids. But this new Zelda is the next step in the evolution of the Zelda series. It just makes sense to go this direction after OoT and MM, wherease WW was about four steps in a completely different direction than it was heading, one which just didn't seem to make sense. I liken it to a cartoony Final Fantasy game. Something I hope never to see, btw. In any case, I don't exactly agree with your oppinion, but i respect it.
(How is it this topic always digresses to a either a debate about WW vs. OoT or a timeline/continuity debate? Oh well, sorry for doing my part to further this...)

One thing I hope for in this game is new, interesting, original characters. It would be really nice to see some memorable characters in this game; aside from the boat, the fish, and whatever that little root's name was (we always called him Beano), there really weren't many new memorable or colorful characters. I wanna see new characters of the quality of Darmani, the Windmill Man, and the Happy Mask Salesman, the kind of quirky unique characters you remember after you're done playing the game.
Oh... hey, I'm not a noob anymore. Nice. It only took me a couple years. I feel so... accomplished.
Anyways, that's my two cents worth...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by The rAt
DukieMan1223, the thing is that different does not mean good.
The you must love having the same president. And still being involved in a war. Different can be good and bad. Just because you didn't like it, doesn't mean it was bad overall. It was a great story, great gameplay. Just looked diferent.

*Continues to wait for Zelda*

The rAt

Smash Ace
mic_128, as I stated in my previous post, I may not agree with Dukie's oppinion, but I still respect it, a courtesy you apparently are not extending to me.
First of all, whether or not Wind Waker was all, partially, or not, bad is entirely a matter of oppinion, which I was stating mine, and arguing why I hold it. Or do oppinions only count when they agree with yours? I didn't like Wind Waker much. I disagree with Dukie, you disagree with me, end of story. If you want to tell me why you disagree with me, then by all means, go for it. But if you want to dismiss me as wrong simply because I disagree with you, isn't that what you're implying I'm doing?
Secondly, yes change can be good or bad. In the case I was refering to, as far as I'm concerned, it was bad. If you disagree with me, fine. If you think that's going to change my oppinion, well I'm afraid you are mistaken.
Thirdly, don't bring politics into this. You don't like our president? You don't like this war? Fine. But don't attack the intelligence of those who hold the opposing view as you. First of all, it shows you haven't bothered to consider the other side of the issue. Second of all, it shows you are attempting to attack me personally, by trying to demonstrate how I don't know what I'm talking about. Do I disagree with you? You know, it doesn't matter, because there are intelligent arguements on both sides of the fence, and only an idiot or a sheep can't acknowledge that.

I'm sorry if I'm being harsh, but what you said was quite antagonistic. I have valid oppinions, regaurdless of whether or not you agree with them, as I'm sure you do as well. If you want a less harsh responce, try a less harsh approach, eh? In any case, how about returning to the topic at hand? Say the new Zelda game?

DukieMan1223

Smash Lord
In any case, how about returning to the topic at hand? Say the new Zelda game?
Good idea. Let's discuss the tons of rumors already surrounding this game. These will be quick because I don't feel like writing a lot.

Man in the moon? Majora's Mask 2? I think there's actually a more clear face all the way on the left side.

Bomb arrow pretty much confirmed.

Lens of Truth activated?

And the most popular these days, that Link will be able to turn into a wolf. Sounds crazy, but it just might fit with the significance of the wolf at the end of the trailer.

The rAt

Smash Ace
Dukie (I hope you don't mind me typing your name in shorthand, but i really am lazy sometimes), good eye!
I can see what you mean about Majora's face, but it kinda looks to me like a wolf face, with the thing in the middle being the nose (kinda like its looking off to the left a little). In any case, I definetely think you are right that the wolf is significant. I'm not sure if I buy either the idea that Link or his horse can turn into a wolf, though. I guess we'll see.
Also good eye on the ghost thing, I would not be at all surprised about it being an effect of the lense of truth. Question is who are the ghosts? Knights of Hyrule? New enemies? Random dead guys who have nothing better to do than follow Link around? I'm interested in what role they will play, any speculations?
That's all i got for now...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Rat, Forgive me for not quoting your post, but I can't be bothered quoting all that for a few sentances.

1. I respect all peoples opinion, but I mean, sayng "the thing is that different does not mean good" without adding "Doesn't mean bad either" seems a bit one sided.

2. I'm sorry for my comments on US politics, but they were the first things to come to mind that was universal. I mean, the name Edie McGuire has no effect on you does it? (He's an Australian moron. Apparently TV studios like him despite his biased opinions on football teams that he owns....but I disgress) I was just giving examples, not meaning to offend.

Oh yeah. Baaa. ;)

Aaaanyway.....

I personally don't think Link will be able to transform. They already did that in MAjoras Mask, and if it's one thing that Zelda is known for, is nexer using the same thing twice. Season control, Masks, Wind...the only thing that has been used a few times was time travel. (Ages, MM, OoT...) But they all did i diferently. Link traveled backwards and forwards through 2 periods in 7 years. MM you went back 3 days. I don't know about Ages as I never played it, but I assume it's diferent.

Gasp...gasp....too much writing.....

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Rat, Forgive me for not quoting your post, but I can't be bothered quoting all that for a few sentances.

1. I respect all peoples opinion, but I mean, sayng "the thing is that different does not mean good" without adding "Doesn't mean bad either" seems a bit one sided.

2. I'm sorry for my comments on US politics, but they were the first things to come to mind that was universal. I mean, the name Edie McGuire has no effect on you does it? (He's an Australian moron. Apparently TV studios like him despite his biased opinions on football teams that he owns....but I disgress) I was just giving examples, not meaning to offend.
Mic, you don't need to apologize to douchebags.

The rAt

Smash Ace
Mic_128,
1. You are totally right that I needed to clarify that different can be good or bad. I thought I had done this, but apparently I did not, and I'll do my best to be more careful next time.
2. You are right, politics are more universal, but they are also a touchy subject for most people, and it is rather frusterating to feel that a certain political stance is being attacked in a thread that has nothing to do with politics. In retrospect, its not your fault for bringing up politics, because you were trying to make a point. However, my frusteration was with HOW you did so, as I felt it made me look stupid for disagreeing with your political views.
In any case, I overreacted, and I appologize.

In any case, mic_128, I agree that I do not think Link will be transforming, but my issue is what else could the wolf mean? Possibly a new enemy? This brings up an interesting point; who is Link's foe in this game? I hold that it will most likely not be Gannon/Gannondorf, as this seems to fit the pattern I've observed in Zelda games. Could this wolf be a hint as to who Link will be clashing blades with this time?

Mediocre, if that's what you think of me, you know what? Go for it. I really don't care, and that comment was obviously an attempt to insight more of a fight, which I have no interest in. So why don't we save the cheapshots and get back to Zelda topic like everyone else in this thread is attempting to to?

That's enough for now...

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Dukie (I hope you don't mind me typing your name in shorthand, but i really am lazy sometimes)
So lazy that you wrote a whole sentence excusing yourself... :p

I really have nothing else to say...so I'll make stuff up...

I really don't think link will be able to transform into a wolf...it's just too wierd...I don't think it will be a new enemy, unless it is a boss or a main character; we already have those wolfos things or whatever they're called, AND they even come in two varieties: normal and arctic, as well as 5 different hip colours...:******:

I can't wait for E3...

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
I agree that I do not think Link will be transforming, but my issue is what else could the wolf mean? Possibly a new enemy?
Gah, I was kind of hoping for the whole transformation thing to be true. I'm sick of the wolf always needing to be the bad guy in everything :(

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Of course...it could be.....a NORMAL wolf. Just....howling.....

The rAt

Smash Ace
GameAngel64, you're right wolves get a bad rep these days. I'd have suggested that the wolf was a new ally, except that he's already got his animal friend (horse), so that would seem to support the theory that he gets a shapeshifting animal, which I don't really like. I'm not exactly certain why I don't like that idea except to say that doing so would most likely make you dependent on the animal to get to certain places, and I think I'd hate that for three reasons. First, it has the potential to make me sit on an animal's back for long periods of time just to get where I want to do, instead of running around exploring like I want to be. Now I'm not saying that's how it will undoubtedly be, but I am saying that's how I'd expect it to be, and therefore am not relishing the idea. Secondly, I don't want to have to keep track of an animal more than a convienient secondary form of transportation. I want to use the horse when its convienent, not all the time. I have enough trouble keeping track of where I am, where I've been and where I want to go without having to employ the use of an animal, which I will have no other choice but to find to get where I'm going. I have my equipment on me, but my horse I have to find. Now of course they'd likely impliment some calling device such as Epona's song. So, I'm certain it wouldn't ruin the game, I'd just prefer them not to go that route; it is at the very least, perceptually more convienient for me. Finally, I don't like the idea of Poisedon over Epona. I liked the concept of bringing back Epona, because its an element that Links (sorry for the pun) some of the Zelda games together so that they do not feel so disconnected. Obviously there is no problem with omitting Epona, because she's only been in a few games. However, to alter Epona seems to ruin the point of including her at all. Its like adding in the Happy Mask Salesman, only to make him a redead.
Anyways, that's just how I see it, and of course there are plenty of pluses to going the shapeshifting route, I just see them as being tough to attain.

Oh, and I liked that joke about the wolf, Mic... :p

That's my two cents, you can take them or leave them, but either way... they won't buy much

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Meh, good wolf, bad wolf (hoping for good), it's still Zelda, and I've already got a full-paid reservation for it at my local Gamestop. You all, do the same!

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Originally posted by mic_128
Of course...it could be.....a NORMAL wolf. Just....howling.....
A normal wolf...a normal wolf?...A NORMAL WOLF?! Are you mad, boy?!

I don't think they would bother showing a cut scene (assuming that's what it is) of a wolf if it didn't have some sort of significance...

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Fierce Deity Vegeta
A normal wolf...a normal wolf?...A NORMAL WOLF?! Are you mad, boy?!

I don't think they would bother showing a cut scene (assuming that's what it is) of a wolf if it didn't have some sort of significance...
Maybe it's like Starwolf and he's the enemy. Hey, it could happen.

(still awaiting ridiculous RPG featuring Link, Mario, and Starfox as 3 main characters)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The main character of a game is a giant ship? Pfft.

FDV: We could just be reading too much into the wolf....

EDIT: Sorry about my starfox comment. I was beat last night and thought you said GreatFox. WTF?

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by JediMasterYoda98
Maybe Ganondorf turned Zelda into a wolf and Link has to turn her back :O

Yes I'm joking.
20 years from now, when games lose their touch and have no significance, I can actually see this as a possible story.

TSA

Smash Rookie
Mic - It's Ganon/Ganondorf, not Gannon/Gannondorf.

I just hope there is a boss battle on horseback, and that the fighting system is severely overhauled from The Wind Waker, which had crappy controls and a broken fighting system. I saw evidence in the new trailer of a complex "AI" for Link...in which he auto-****s his "targeting" to counter attacks when multiple enemies apepar. That would make up for the rediculousness in TWW in which you L-Target one enemy, and Link completely ignores all other enemies in his sight...even if they attack. TWW's system was very limiting unless you played around without using the targeting system.

I'm most looking forward to more dungeons and a new fighting system, and tigher controls. As for Link changing into animals, I don't know and don't care. I don't like to know anything about the story before I play a new Zelda game. I just want gameplay info...so I guess turning into a wolf counts as gameplay, but that's a bit of a story element as well.

I just want to know if Princess Zelda will be in it, and Ganondorf in some form. As well as the Triforce. I'm getting tired of the latter two elements...it's time for Zelda to move on without frickin Ganondorf. It's obvious now he never is going to win...

The rAt

Smash Ace
I think we should just call him Big G-Daddy...

TSA,
I agree with you that I don't want to know much about the story before I play a game. However, I don't mind speculating about it. I dunno, maybe I'm setting myself up for a fall, maybe I expect too much, but hey, what else am I going to do until the game comes out? Besides, right now it would be very tough to ruin this game in my eyes (tough, not impossible, but tough).
In any case I'll have to disagree with you on Gannondorf and the triforce. I think they, as much as Link and Zelda link the games together. Its not like Mario where Bowser really has no reason to keep chasing Peach, its a thousand year old grudge where Gannondorf wants to keep coming back and hurting Link's ancestors as much as he can, even if he can't truly win. I think he's an interesting character, and especially after Wind Waker, he's a very human character. But I do agree that they can overdo it and he shouldn't be in every game.
Have you noticed how he's only in every other game? LoZ, LttP, OoT, WW, I've got some interesting theories on why that is, and I've posted them on the continuity thread awhile back. Its interesting to think about some of the characters thematically. In any case, as I've said before, I do not believe Gannon/Gannondorf (Gannon? Ganon? Gannnananon? I forget spelling, but you know who i mean...) will be in this game, as he was in Wind Waker. Guess we'll see eh?
When is am i finally gonna get a penny for my thoughts?

Top Bottom