• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

D

Deleted member

idk about the new smash but in melee and especially PM characters like fox and falco are glass cannons. they can kill easily and die easily just the same. that being said fox up smash will only kill a floaty on pkmn and yoshi at 90% (while its strong on any stage)

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
I really only play the games for fun and do competitive pokemon stuff on simulators. But gimme a 4/5iv fletchling with tailwind or a 4/5 magikarp and it's cool

Also whys everyone calling it brawl 2.0?
Definitely looking like brawl beta.

Last edited:

Samsora

Smash Apprentice
Im going to play regardless, but they took the edge game our so Peach is most prob not a option for me

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So who else is going to the Best Buy in Harvey today? Not sure how early I'll be there as I'm going to be shopping for clothes in the area.

As for my thoughts on the changes, as someone who hasn't played competitive Smash, I need to feel the changes myself. From what I saw last night, the game looks to be a lot of fun. The changes I've seen listed in articles tell me this is going to be more ground based with movement made riskier. If dashing's going to be riskier, watch foxtrotting become an important skill.

I don't know what to make of the DI changes, but I believe that not every move needs to have DI properties.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Guys, it's looking like they cancelled the one in BR. I don't know what's going on but there's rumors that they cancelled a ton of Best Buys across the country at literally the last minute and sent no official notice.

Harvey however is still on the official site, on the map at the bottom of the page when you enter your zip http://e3.nintendo.com/smashfest/

Both BR and Harvey are still on Best Buy's site, but... can someone still call them first please? The number for BR's Best Buy is 225-761-8032.

I need to eat right now so I'm not calling but someone needs to check.

'V'

Smash Lord
Nah, she was indeed justified in her worrying. I checked out the main site for myself and the map only worked for the one in Harvey just like she said. Some random Best Buys are cancelling their events too.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
The one in BR is still happening. Just called them.
Thanks so much for checking, V. <3

Others in the Smash 4 social have also confirmed their locations are still going. So, it's just a bug somewhere on Nintendo's site, I guess. Very relieved now. :)

Sapphire dragon tryin to trick the competition so she can have the demo all to herself
Heh, not quite:
http://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-4-wii-u-3ds-topic-2-0.347937/page-758#post-16878910

http://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-4-wii-u-3ds-topic-2-0.347937/page-758#post-16879112

thoughthatwouldbesuperlegitsinceI'dgettotestpikachualldai

Magi_

Smash Apprentice
Didn't get to play, line was too damn long.

Watched it, got what I expected, Brawl that was slightly less floaty and maybe a little bit sped up.

but holy **** link's upair had me rolling.

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
I feel like I should be start posting again here and being active again... I don't know why, we'll see how it goes. >.>

'V'

Smash Lord
Just got back from Best Buy Smashfest. That was probably the worst smash game I've ever played in my life. If there are any changes that are gonna be made to the game before release, they need to be done soon. That game needs a serious makeover.

Edit: Also, @ Captain Zack Captain Zack , Zelda is hella nerfed in Smash 4. She can't double b-air anymore (can't even autocancel a single b-air or any aerial for that matter), dins's fire is slower and only goes 1/3 of it's original distance and can't even vertically control it very well, Nayru's has a smaller hitbox, and the phantom is terrible. U-Smash hitbox is smaller and F-Smash does considerably less knockback. Worst version of Zelda I've seen yet.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just got back from Best Buy Smashfest. That was probably the worst smash game I've ever played in my life. If there are any changes that are gonna be made to the game before release, they need to be done soon. That game needs a serious makeover.
Why, Vaughn?

I liked what I played. Is this about the change made to aerials?

'V'

Smash Lord
Why, Vaughn?

I liked what I played. Is this about the change made to aerials?
There's a lot of things bad about it, but I worked with Chkn with his notebook, so I imagine he'll post all of his stuff soon when he gets back.

But pretty much all of this and more:

http://meleeiton.me/2014/06/10/invitational-impressions/

Edit: Many other players (mostly Brawl players here) didn't like it either. Risk and I were the only 2 Melee players trying it out.

Last edited:

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
It's funny, but I think I saw some insight on why Zelda got the nerf bat so hard in the face.

I was watching the Nintendo stream when I got home and they were playing smash. And one of the yoohoos on there said something to the effect of "Whenever I see a Zelda player, I know you're a dirty player." I tilted my head at the notion, because in Brawl, she was absolutely awful. Then I realized (duh moment here for most I know). He's nerfing based off non-competitive people.

If casuals around him ***** that the heel is OP, then it's OP in their eyes. Is it really? No, but they don't know any better.

TL;DR, stick with Melee and Project:M kids. However, I'll play Smash4 online and for drinking parties. Bottoms up me hearties.

Edit: What V said. His analysis plus the professionals at the tournament last night make this to sound a not good game.

Also for icey:

Attachments

Last edited:

'V'

Smash Lord
Good to see you back, Nick.

Sakurai is a giant troll. Seriously...

Can't wait for MetaKnight to destroy everyone for the 2nd game in a row. (You all know it's coming).

Last edited:

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
"First, how do you satisfy the core while still expanding appeal? And second, how do you leverage your strengths against entirely untapped audiences--to the so-called "blue oceans" in popular marketing speak? ... Provide a new product that actually underperforms on an established industry metric for "progress," and substitute an alternative that typically is smaller, less expensive and easier to use. Initially, the "core" of any industry will scoff. But if the product is right, enough new users will be attracted to form an alternative definition for progress"
This was Nintendo's marketing strategy for the Wii prior to its release, which is why they didn't care that the graphics, online capabilities, etc, didn't stack up to the other consoles. It also sounds like the exact reason that Brawl wasn't Melee, and Smash 4 probably won't be better than Brawl competitively, and not even close to Melee. Melee seems to have been an awesome game by mistake. All that being said, can the Wii U be hacked for a P:M 2?
TL;DR **** us, right?

Sudai

Stuff here
<3 Nik! Keep coming! :D

Vaughn is right.

Villiager's recovery is absolutely insane. He can ride his Side-B a battle field length at least and then up with an up-b that puts him off the top of the screen if you use the whole thing from on stage.

My biggest take from the 2 games I played and 4-6 I watched: Recoveries are ****ing broken. On-Stage edge guarding will exist even less than in Brawl and that's saying something. Even off-stage edge guarding is gonna be a joke.

As for P:M 2, it can be done. Any electronic can be hacked.

Last edited:

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
Good to be back V. :) And <3 Sudai! :3 I need a new profile pic, I'll remedy that in a moment...

Also if you want a good lulz, Conan O'Brian will be playing Smash Wii U tonight around 10pm or so (18 minutes...). Honestly, let's just take it as a cute party game and leave it at that.

Edit: Oh right. I used to post funny things in every post. Here ya go! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCHUR2nUsgY

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
When devs hear we want it "faster", I highly doubt they know what we mean. They'll probably do something like making running an dodge rolls faster, when "faster" isn't even really the most accurate word to describe it.

Last edited:

ChKn

Smash Ace
I invited a Nintendo rep to the facebook page for smash. She is definitely interested in helping the community and is allowing us to advertise for Louisiana Smash on Saturday. She's going to what she can to help us out so this is a big opportunity for us. Curlz is going to be in constant contact with her. I'm very optimistic about the future for our scene.

I also have 4 pages of notes and 30 mins of video, so I'll have that tomorrow afternoon. I'm pretty close to passing out and I have to get up in 8 hours lol.

Shoutouts to everyone that went to the BR Best Buy. This had to have been one of the better experiences in my smash career.

Last edited:

NiTEZ

Smash Apprentice
What I learned about Smash 4:
  • Not to use a Wii U Pro controller (layout confused me)
  • Has some hitstun and is a little faster
  • Yoshi may actually be viable
  • Little Mac is a dominant force on the ground/he's straight ass in the air
  • I enjoyed Rosalina, my Greninja experience was not good due to the controller confusion
  • Despite enjoyment of the character, controlling Luma is still a mystery
  • It's not Brawl, it's not Melee, it's of a different breed, but still needs work
  • Ground game > Aerial game
  • Combos are seemingly possible at low percents depending on moves used
  • Either knockback or gravity changes would create for a more enjoyable experience
  • I'd be satisfied with more follow up options, which is the only thing I found to be annoying
  • I don't hate/dislike the game, but I'm not overwhelmingly excited about what I played. I do have my worries and doubts if this is truly close to what the final product will be like and if this is the case, I'll try it out for a little, but this may prevent me from returning
  • "All of the previous games have had years to develop, too many people are expecting to break it down on day one. Look at SSBM or SSBB a year in. Look at them now. Give time for things to develop, people are making tier lists from a beta."
Aside from that, seeing the scene again was awesome, can't wait for Summercon. Time to pass out...
Edit: My friend did bring up an idea I thought would be good/experimental. Seeing as how Nintendo is using Amiibos with Smash 4 and the customization of its style(how it fights/stats/etc.) and level is dependent on the owner, this could provide for a fun side tourney experience of Amiibo tournaments.

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
20XX, tournaments are just amiibo fighters. It appears that luma and rosalina are like ice climbers, just always linked. Luma never ignores inputs to try to get back to you like nana.

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
I'm glad Zelda is terrible actually. I love taking totally trash characters and turning them into something wonderful.

I have found out from my friend that Olimar is as powerful as ever and can still do Dthrow to Up smash.

'V'

Smash Lord
Well, good luck to you then. Seriously... -_-;;;

I most likely won't even be playing the game except for like parties with all items/stages or something.

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
From what I've seen, at low percents Zelda can chain her up tilt, and Up B.............KOs......dkasldjioasjfisdbn

AfroSkull

Smash Cadet
We are working on the wiiU hack right now, for those of you that are worried I am a lot better at programming/reverse engineering than am I playing smash.. I say six moths after we get the official game we will have an alpha pm version built. // Nintendo drops patches on us very other day, sucks.

ChKn

Smash Ace
As a quick disclaimer, I played Marth three times, Greninja once, and Sonic once. The rest of the characters that I have listed were achieved from other members of the local competitive community. We could only use the classic controller pro. I'm just going to give bullet points, since I have 4 pages of notes.I'll make a separate post with all the videos that I have.

Mechanics:
-Airdodge landing produces a bit of lag
-Dash -> Grab confirmed
-Pivot Grab confirmed (Note: I was only able to do this successfully with Greninja and it looks like it has decent range)
-Shield depletion seems to take longer than in Brawl (assuming no contact)
-Shield stun is higher than Brawl
-No reflection off of powershielding
-SDI might be possible: seems completely negligible though
-C-Stick up while shielding = grab. (Did not drop-down shield to smash)
-Brawl's Dash Dance
-Rolls seem to go farther
-Non-existent momentum cancel
-No Double Jump Cancel (tried with Yoshi - 3DS)
-Long Tether Recoveries (Samus and TL)
-You have an available jump after getting bumped off the ledge. I did not see if you are invincible after bumping someone off more than once. You get pushed up and away from the stage after getting bumped off the ledge. Did not see how tether recoveries factor into this mechanic.

Marth:
-Dash cooldown seems somewhat faster than in Brawl
-I couldn't do the instant regrab for his up-b, it may

have been a controller issue though.
-Feels a tad bit slower than Brawl
-Dancing Blade's timing seems to be tighter and somewhat slower.
-Bair feels great lol
-Range of Fair is slightly longer

WFT:
-Down-B: Deep Breathing
-Neutral-B: Sun Salutation
-Up-B: Hula Hoop -> Slow
-Can crouch, can't crawl
-Side-B: Volleyball
--on ground, she can jump and spike
--not good for up close
--did not confirm if you can catch the ball

Greninja:
-Fast
-High Jumping Ability
-I really like his up-smash lol
-The rest I'll have to amend after looking at my videos

Mario:
-Same as Brawl

Little Mac:
-Can wall jump
-Will be edited in the future

Zelda:
-Din's Fire has a shorter range
-Neutral-B: Hit box is shorter
-Phantom is out for about 1.5 sec (not sure if fully charged or not)
--Easily destroyed

ZSS:
-Highly similar to brawl
-High Jump Distance
-Divekick dair
-Faster grab

Villager:
-Upair/Dair - Turnips
-Fair/Bair - Slingshot - Seems like a decent projectile
-Fsmash - Bowling Ball
-Can swing Axe after planting tree
-Repeated B to Fly after Up-Bing

Kirby:
-I conducted an interview with Facey. I have to get the video from another person before editing this.

Rosalina:
-Roll is Teleport
--Did not confirm what spotdoge is

Olimar:
-Super Armor on Whistle (not confirmed - penciled in as a maybe)

DK:
-Cargo -> Up-Throw -> Up-Air as a possbile combo (assuming low percent)

Pit:
-Have to finish questioning before adding on

Yoshi (3DS):
-Can jump OOS
-Has a new down smash
-Dair is faster and seems like it has an extra hit. From what I saw, the last hit is responsible for the opponent going upwards
-New Dash attack
-Up-Smash like Fox's

Luigi (3DS):
-New Final Smash
-Pretty much the same from Brawl
-No confirmation of misfire mechanics

Sheik (3DS):
-Vanish travels further
-Up-tilt is slower
-Grenade sucks in opponent before exploding (has a

gravity field)
--Bounces on contact with opponent
-Same sex-kick
-I have one note about Bouncing Fish, but I can't read the last word ;.;
-Extra kick on u-air -> extra damage
-Needles go full screen
-Sliding up-smash is good

Toon Link (3DS):
-Doesn't bounce after contact from dair
-Long tether recovery -- tether falls incredibly low after getting the ledge
-Can regrab items

Mega Man:
-Blade can be placed on ground
--No contact damage from it's being placed on the groun
-D-throw->Up-air possible
-Need to get more info

Stages:

I don't know how I feel about the walk-off stages just yet. The pilotwings stage should probably be a counterpick.

Arena Ferox:
-Statues can be destroyed

My notes from without looking at vids. I don't know if I'll get to that today.

Top Bottom