• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Entreri

Smash Cadet
i didnt mean you were skilled ken. just that you were big into playing. lol. just kidding. or am i?

-taylor

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Lol. Oh, you gamers. You and your graphics, stories, etc. Video books, right? Video movies? No, no, video games. Nintendo totally left out the hardcore gamers this time around, but the people that still play games for what they were intended to be (fun. You do remember fun, don't you?) are having a ****in blast. WarioWare, Brawl, the Wii Sports and Wii Play (Tanks! What?), etc, etc, are ****in awesome if you stop sippin your Haterade. I'm not knockin the PS3 or the 360, of course not. Just sayin when I'm stuck in a lightsaber battle with Darth Krayt while y'all are still usin the 'x' button to slash people, we'll see who's taint deserves to be licked. Flame away.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
You've got a point. But when you find out that you can st down and twitch the wii remote, the game gets a lot less interesting.

Samus_Hats

Smash Apprentice
I would love to contribute, but I only own three systems. A DS, a Gamecube, and an N64.

I sold my Xbox 1, PS2, and gave away my 360.

Buuut that being said, it really isn't any secret that Nintendo pretty much abandoned their hardcore fans.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
That's what you're bringin to the table? Really? I also forgot Okami. And RE4.
With the sales they're getting, and the joy the system (systems, if you count the DS) is bringing to people, I don't think Nintendo will even pretend to worry about the hardcore fans. http://www.vgchartz.com/

'V'

Smash Lord
I have to agree with Iceman. People are getting spoiled from the newfound graphics and stuff, when that's not even what half of gaming is about. And like it or not now, we all had a fun time with Brawl AT SOME POINT. Most of us more so towards the beginning of its lifetime.

And you can be just as hardcore with Wii games as you can with the other systems. You just have to be creative.

And TvC is a good fighting game that's Wii exclusive. Too bad it's not very popular here in LA.

Edit: Poker Night got moved to Tuesdays for the Summer. I'm also still in the process of job hunting.

Sudai

Stuff here
Most Wii games are too easy, too kid orientated, or just plain boring, gameplay wise. It has nothing to do with graphics. No idea where you guys got that from. Funny part about it, though, graphics ARE important. I'd take a game with a good story and good graphics any day over a game with an awesome story and **** hole graphics. It's about the whole package, not the parts that make up the whole.

'V'

Smash Lord
Most likely not. When I played Maverick Hunter X, the PSP remake of Mega Man X with anime cutscenes and updated graphics, it didn't feel any different.

And I know for certain I didn't like the later Mega Man X's that they made for PS2, 7 and 8. Graphics were new and decent to Mega Man, but the gameplay was horrid.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
The difficulty, age-orientation, and 'funness' of a game is subjective, especially that last one. I can't argue that with you, there's nothing to argue. The Wii isn't leading in sales (by a lot) because the games are boring.

Edit: Posted before I read the previous question. I don't wanna say the addition of unnecessary graphics usually **** up a good game, but you can't tell me it doesn't happen. Here's a better question for you: would you sacrifice gameplay for story and/or graphics? Cuz some games are guilty of that.

Sudai

Stuff here
I'll leave the subjective stuff aside, no need to rehash that.

I never asked anyone to sacrifice game play. Vaughn, I'm not saying new mega man games with updated graphics. I mean the same ones you've played already. When you mentioned MHX, you said 'it didn't feel any different.' Well no duh, it's not supposed to feel different. It's supposed to LOOK different. You're 100% lying to yourself if you say that something that is the exact same as something in every way except for better graphics isn't better than the original.

'V'

Smash Lord
LOL what? It's Mega Man. All it is is just running to the right an shooting robots. Why do you think I went crazy over Mega Man's 9 and 10? Or why do you think I played the Parallel Worlds ROM hack as much as I did? They gave me that nostalgic feel of when I used to play those games as a kid.

No **** it's supposed to look different. What I was implying earlier was that graphics is the last thing I think about when rating a game. Gameplay is most of what matters to me, then music, then story, then graphics.

Better graphics =/= better game or better satisfaction. At least for some anyway.

Why do you enjoy Melee more than Brawl if that wasn't the case?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Here's a better question for you: would you sacrifice gameplay for story and/or graphics? Cuz some games are guilty of that.
i would not. story is the opposite of what i want in games that arent rpgs/platformers for the most part. example, i am a big fan of halo. (1, 2, 3, odst, and soon reach) campaign sucks. my balls. multiplayer was the only fun part. if the gameplay sucked, and the story was good, i wouldnt have had fun. the story/gameplay tradeoff depends on the type of game.

one thing, though. i cant think of a game with ****ty gameplay and a really good story that i would play. sacrificing gameplay is acceptable somewhat, but you cant completely forget about gameplay. hell, make a movie, dammit.

eet

Smash Ace
No one ever said we want to sacrifice gameplay. In fact, I much prefer to play Melee - and Brawl was the definition of less gameplay mechanics and better graphics.

All I'm sayin is while Nintendo has good game mechanics and level design, it just looks like they barely try when it comes to innovation in graphics, online play/internet or any real level of depth in story (Ill give Zelda a few points here).

Im not hatin, I play every Zelda that comes out on a console and enjoy the whole thing lol, but these are just things Ive noticed and think Nintendo should do for its fans in the next gen (yeah its almost next gen speculation time) .

look at us..talkin about stuff.

But yeah the truth is, maybe Im just getting old, I didnt really have much fun with the Wii. Zelda and Mario Galaxy were the two games I enjoyed. I think I played Warioware and Wii Sports when I was really drunk a couple times and it was funny. Its not a bad system, I just think it could be way better lol. The innovation was in the controller but they never used it for it's potential imo.

Sudai

Stuff here
Gameplay is most of what matters to me, then music, then story, then graphics.
So you admit graphics do play a role. That's all I was saying, not that Graphics should precede anything. lrn2rdngcmprhnsn

Better graphics =/= better game or better satisfaction. At least for some anyway.
That is 100% incorrect. If EVERYTHING ELSE IS EXACTLY THE SAME!! then the game with 'better' graphics is 'better.'

Why do you enjoy Melee more than Brawl if that wasn't the case?
I would enjoy Melee with Brawl's graphics more than either. Once again, the point I've been trying to make, and I've stated I've been trying to make...yet you seem to not get it?

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
That is 100% incorrect. If EVERYTHING ELSE IS EXACTLY THE SAME!! then the game with 'better' graphics is 'better.'

I would enjoy Melee with Brawl's graphics more than either. Once again, the point I've been trying to make, and I've stated I've been trying to make...yet you seem to not get it?
The problem with that first statement is that sometimes everything else is not exactly the same. Sometimes the game mechanics don't fit. Sometimes the controls are ********. Sometimes the game just runs slow. But the graphics are ballin. Don't matter, gimme a quick, easy to play game over one I'm just gonna curse at for weeks.

And I believe Vaughn was tryin to say (not puttin words in his mouth, just interpreting the way I read it) is that there are two games, one with ****tier graphics but better gameplay and one with better graphics but ****tier gameplay. You're playing the former. In some perfect world, yes, the two games would make sweet, dirty love and 9 months later bring forth into the world the greatest Smash game of all. But we're not talkin about hypotheticals.
Surely you're not trying to say that childish (notice I did not say "children's") games aren't fun. I watched you play a game where you were a hedgehog growing eggs so that one day they would fight. That's not exactly the plot of Bioshock 2 or Red Dead Redemption.

'V'

Smash Lord
Sudai just likes to argue with me to see my reaction. He's admitted this to me before in the past and very recently. Obvious troll is obvious, but I digress.

My point still stands. If I were playing two different versions of Sonic 2, one with the same graphics and one with better graphics, it wouldn't matter to me. It's the same game.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
everything is subjective. people can have different tastes in playstyle, music, and even graphics. some people love cel-shading, other people love 8-bit. it can be w/e is asthetically pleasing to that person.

personally, i have a pet peeve when i see something 2-d in a 3d game (the trees in mario 64, for example), but i forgive it =]

eet

Smash Ace
The hilarious thing is I'm not trying to troll you this time Vaughn.

Everyone seems to be missing my point entirely though. I've only been trying to say that graphics do improve quality of a game, not that graphics improve quality more than other aspects... -_-

-Sudai

Awstin

Smash Rookie
But how does one measure the "quality" of a game in their own opinion. You and Vaughan may both like the same exact side-scrolling game, but one version may be in 2-D and the other in 3-D. If you both like the opposite version, it means it's a matter of opinion and personal preference. Graphics=art. Art=subjective. I=awesome. Butthole=good.

'V'

Smash Lord
And we're telling you that that isn't necessarily the case when it comes to people's opinions. Some people like the old graphics. That's a lot of the reason why people went crazy over Mega Man 9 when it was first announced.

Edit: Austin probably put it in better terms.

eet

Smash Ace
Vaughn, you're silly. If you prefer the old graphics, then you consider those graphics better. My point stands.

Arcrazia, Mabinogi. Play on Alexina and I'll PL you.

-Sudai

Arcadia

Smash Apprentice
DnD. You could totally get into that one, Arc.
Not a fan.

Play..... Runescape.
Been there done that.

Vaughn, you're silly. If you prefer the old graphics, then you consider those graphics better. My point stands.

Arcrazia, Mabinogi. Play on Alexina and I'll PL you.

-Sudai
If it runs ok on this **** for a cpu, I'll give it a shot.........

.............. BUT IT'S NEXON!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom