• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
You are in the right area for PM/Melee then. Basically dead square in the middle of the Melee scene.

Citrus

Smash Apprentice
yeah brs where it at for melee
our crew is the most active and we try to get together once a week or so at taylors house(taylorhj on the boards) and im sure hed be cool with someone new cominig over
My number is 7723803 just text me yours and ill let you know when were playing

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Melee + PM only tourney. Pretty much the biggest melee/p:m events in LA and one is happening soon.
If New Orleans keeps coming to Open World events, then the melee event will be just as big. I was really shocked (in a good way) at how many melee players from NOLA showed up. I got to meet a lot of new and very cool people.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
MilkTea's article is a good read. Makes me wonder if there's any girls who play melee, and if so, why don't they join us guys at events?

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
MilkTea's article is a good read. Makes me wonder if there's any girls who play melee, and if so, why don't they join us guys at events?
I play Melee but have never gone to events for it. It was my first Smash and I've played it since I was 10, however the skill curve to play well competitively is too high for me. No personal transportation + college means I basically don't even play P:M anymore.

In other words, girls have johns too.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
these are important questions I'm asking
who came up with the ******** distinction of including LA in the abbreviation of New Orleans when there's only one New Orleans

Last edited:

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Just calm down brah, it's just a thing brah. It's just shorter so they can put it on tshirts and say I <3 NOLA. You can't say I <3 New Orleans. You just can't. Plus northern Louisiana implies that there is a norther part to that boot. It's max southern mang.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I was under the impression that NOLA was North LA, much like cali has Socal and Norcal
someone unconfuse me
LOL THIS GUY

"North LA" is shreveport nerd

NOLA/Nola is new orleans and it has always been new orleans. people around the country use nola, which is why the LA is included at the end

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Everybody stop correcting each other, it's just New Orleans. You can call it NOLA or LANO, don't really care but is Rainbow Cruise legal?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
You can't call it lano who are you

Rainbow cruise should be legal.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Ah "should", well guys I start my job next month, during the summer I'll come to attend my first ever tournament. Oh, and when the next school year starts, I'm saving my days and I want to try to attend APEX.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Me and the marksville guys don't have rides either. And school and work.
#nojohns
Yes, but you are also, well, guys. You can get around safer (in general) and parents are often more lax. Girls can often have more restrictions from the parents, for obvious reasons. There are some families that are exceptions to this rule, but mine is not.

Ok, mine's less of an exception and more of an extreme in that I've never lived on campus for college and have basically been mostly sheltered. Only time I didn't have someone constantly keeping tabs on me was in Memphis for like 3 days

But mostly, I think girls would play Melee a lot more if they could be transitioned into it from Brawl, or ideally P:M. "Hey girls, this is the game that made it all happen!"

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Yes, but you are also, well, guys. You can get around safer (in general) and parents are often more lax. Girls can often have more restrictions from the parents, for obvious reasons. There are some families that are exceptions to this rule, but mine is not.

Ok, mine's less of an exception and more of an extreme in that I've never lived on campus for college and have basically been mostly sheltered. Only time I didn't have someone constantly keeping tabs on me was in Memphis for like 3 days

But mostly, I think girls would play Melee a lot more if they could be transitioned into it from Brawl, or ideally P:M. "Hey girls, this is the game that made it all happen!"
I apologize for your extreme situation. As an upcoming adult I hope the freedom comes soon, if not real world is gonna suck hard.

I'm not sure what the story is now as far as Brawl players go, I do think some have transitioned to Melee while others have tried P:M. But I do believe that most casuals do tend to want to stick with Brawl over Melee so trying to transition them along with any others would be nice..trying to show them how amazing a community can be regardless of the game you play would be the more ideal way to look at it.

Also new to the term NOLA as well, though I have heard norleans quite a bit in person so it makes sense. LAMEO~ however sounds like punch in throat bait rofl

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I apologize for your extreme situation. As an upcoming adult I hope the freedom comes soon, if not real world is gonna suck hard.

I'm not sure what the story is now as far as Brawl players go, I do think some have transitioned to Melee while others have tried P:M. But I do believe that most casuals do tend to want to stick with Brawl over Melee so trying to transition them along with any others would be nice..trying to show them how amazing a community can be regardless of the game you play would be the more ideal way to look at it.

Also new to the term NOLA as well, though I have heard norleans quite a bit in person so it makes sense. LAMEO~ however sounds like punch in throat bait rofl
Thanks, and freedom will come soon. I've been noticing them being more lax and I'm moving out in a few months. My biggest worry is that they'll cut off my monetary support due to seeing the move as me becoming independent and thus not wanting me to depend on their money anymore. I've been told by other family members that my parents will still help me out, but it's hard to believe for me... my mom's emphasized before that she won't let me be a dependent to her when I'm on my own. We'll see though...

I'm glad some have gotten into PM and Melee from Brawl. The scenes could make more of an effort in general to introduce new players to the scene to all 3 major games (and 64 too honestly)

As far as NOLA goes, I'm fairly sure the term started so people weren't confused about just "NO"

like, "Hey guys, you want to meet up for smash? If so, where?"
"NO"
"...ok then, dude, sorry"

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Thanks, and freedom will come soon. I've been noticing them being more lax and I'm moving out in a few months. My biggest worry is that they'll cut off my monetary support due to seeing the move as me becoming independent and thus not wanting me to depend on their money anymore. I've been told by other family members that my parents will still help me out, but it's hard to believe for me... my mom's emphasized before that she won't let me be a dependent to her when I'm on my own. We'll see though...
If family is able financially they'll do something for you if stuff hits the fan, but it'd be better to keep the mindset that they cannot so that it's not relied on and what not~ But yeah with time, and gl once more. I'm sure the scene looks forward to playing smash with you and others in the future and if you need a great person to reassure you, I still believe Ran- is plenty active in the community. Cheers :3

When Murica has YES, LA says NO. +1

Bomber7

Smash Hero

As far as NOLA goes, I'm fairly sure the term started so people weren't confused about just "NO"

like, "Hey guys, you want to meet up for smash? If so, where?"
"NO"
"...ok then, dude, sorry"
I was waiting for this as I was reading down through the posts. Thank you so much Saph! But seriously, this reason saves a wall of text.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
If family is able financially they'll do something for you if stuff hits the fan, but it'd be better to keep the mindset that they cannot so that it's not relied on and what not~ But yeah with time, and gl once more. I'm sure the scene looks forward to playing smash with you and others in the future and if you need a great person to reassure you, I still believe Ran- is plenty active in the community. Cheers :3
Yeah, that's what I've thought about it too. Thanks! Ran is indeed a great person, he rescued my Lugia plush I brought to a tourney once that I had hanging on my belt. I dropped it in the crowd and didn't realize it until it was sitting on a table near the laptop with bracket setups. He's a hero.

No need to worry about reassuring me though, I have the best man in the world and his name is Sudai. :)

Top Bottom