• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Parents got a free cruise randomly so they took us along, but WiFi onboard is hella expensive
I found WiFi at a resort in Cozumel Mexico during an off-ship excursion
I felt so helpless without internet access
I'm never going on an offshore vacation again

D

Deleted member

i dont understand why people support smashcon. i also dont understand why winter and summercon get the most entrants of all current LA tournaments. they over charge venue fees, and make money off the players, and people still want to go. the fees dont matter much for me, because in the past i ran tournaments so it didnt effect me, and i make money off of it anyway with my placement, but for the other players that dont win; they come, spend $20-40 to play in games they want, and lose. perhaps it's because other people make a lot of money, get money from their parents, or just dont care how much money they spend they are going to any tournament available, but it just doesnt make sense to me. this isnt meant to be a flame post, as much as it is a real question.
i just dont understand it.

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
i dont understand why people support smashcon. i also dont understand why winter and summercon get the most entrants of all current LA tournaments. they over charge venue fees, and make money off the players, and people still want to go. the fees dont matter much for me, because in the past i ran tournaments so it didnt effect me, and i make money off of it anyway with my placement, but for the other players that dont win; they come, spend $20-40 to play in games they want, and lose. perhaps it's because other people make a lot of money, get money from their parents, or just dont care how much money they spend they are going to any tournament available, but it just doesnt make sense to me. this isnt meant to be a flame post, as much as it is a real question.
For me personally, because I know it's going to be a large turnout, and I can't make a large number of tournaments, I go to it. At this point I go to Tha Shrimp series, smashcon stuff, and some Texas stuff. I jump at the opportunity to play different players. As for peeps that live down south, I have no idea.
Also when's that shrimp date gonna grace our ears? Gotta haggle for time off

D

Deleted member

im anticipating thursday, june 19th but that isnt final.
i also think a better answer to attending a large tournament you dont agree with just because its big, is to create a better, big tournament. and i think justin is trying to do just that. i would if i had the time. (and i do have the time for like 3 months during the summer, but it just isnt enough.)

D

Deleted member

seems like that would be the perfect date for those wanting to go to both...?

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
Nah there are already too many employees at my job taking vacation during that time, so to make one I was just gonna bs a sickness since I have never called in once in a year and a half.
But for every other smasher it's hella convenient. Go for it lol

Bomber7

Smash Hero
From what I've seen, people enjoy themselves at Smashcon. Players want an experience. They want to see how well they will do in a large scale tournament that is full of competition. For some, it's also a networking opportunity. Just as Magi stated, we all just want to play videogames and Smashcon gives people an oppotunity to do so, but on a much larger stage. I know you've always had concerns about prices but here's how I look at it: If people had that much of a problem with our prices, then they don't have to come, even if there was a minor problem with the prices, then it's the player's responsibility to contol how much money they spend. If they want to spend $20-$40 dont tournaments, then let them, that's their personal choice. You have your concerns about people spending that much money just to lose; many people do that anyway when they go to tournaments large and small. It's nice to walk into a tournament being confident enough to feel like you're going to take first prize, but it's bad sportsmanship to lose, feel, salty about it, and feel like it was a ripoff (in that combination). I don't know why it's such a huge difference for people coming to smashcon and people going to APEX or EVO (where by the way, people spend so much more money for those events than at smashcon). If anything, you can use your same arguments against them. Granted, Smashcon isn't to the calibur of APEX or EVO yet, but it is what we are working towards.

D

Deleted member

Comparing prices of smashcon to apex is ********. And I'm not interested in how you think players feel. I'm interested in actual player opinions.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Comparing prices of smashcon to apex is ********. And I'm not interested in how you think players feel. I'm interested in actual player opinions.
Well, I have talked with players at smashcon, believe it or not, and what they've expressed will back up what I said. Also comparing prices of Smashcon to Apex is not retarted if you are going to be complaining about how charging money for events is a bad thing.

D

Deleted member

Over charging for a poorly run tournament so a select few can profit. If you think that is the same as complaining that charging money for events is is a bad thing then you have once again proven yourself as stupid. I've talked to people at and about smashcon too that think everything you guys do is dumb. But that doesn't speak for everyone just like the people you talked to. Like I said I'm trying to find individual opinions.

D

Deleted member

And no matter how you look at it you cannot compare smashcon apex. Running a multiple day tournament with around 2000 players is not the same as calling a venue and showing up with a few set ups and having players run events for free while you profit at at a tournament of around what, 150 people?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Seems like you are only looking for individual opinions which confirm what you think, while ignoring that despite criticisms, Smashcon can actually do something right or else people wouldn't show up.

Also Taylor, nothing in this world comes free. We charge venue fees to pay for the venue fee and put towards pot bonuses. If we lowered the prices of entry fee, then some people wouldn't come because for the percieved size of Smashcon, people are expecting a $10 entry fee for something like smash, otherwise, we've been told people wouldn't take us seriously. If you can find a way to provide a tournament that has an awesome venue and can draw 150+ people all for free (or for cheaper than smashcon) while running it flawlessly without problems, then by all means, do it, because you do a lot of talk but no show.

As far as set-ups go. I find it assinine of you to continue to blame us for insufficient set-ups. Are you expecting a hand-out for doing what you should be doing in the first place? What kind of player are you if you complain a tournament sucks because of lack of set-ups, if you know people who can bring set-ups don't? We've both seen people complaining about the inefficiencies about tournament hosting, some of it due to inexperience, others due to lack of set-ups. The first can be fixed with hosting tournaments, and the community giving feedback, the latter can be easily be fixed with players actually supporting events by bringing set-ups and helping TO's help them.

It's gotten to the point where I can't get salty with you Taylor because you just can never be pleased with what we do. I'll admit that there are some things you say which are valid, which I and the rest of the smashcon staff take into consideration, because we do want to become as organized as APEX, but it is going to take some time, and it's going to take community effort to reach there. However it pretty boils down to, I see you do a lot of talk, but no show.

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
Never been to summer or wintercon but I am interested in going solely due to its size and the fact that it's a BR tourney, despite the criticism the events have recieved

D

Deleted member

If I was only looking for the opinions of people who agree with me I wouldn't be asking on an open forum. People show up because they want to play at all costs. Not because they agree with you. I did not plan for this to be a discussion between me and you. I want to know other people's opinion. I could **** talk you and smashcon all day but that's not not why I'm here. I never said anything about you needing needing to provide set ups. I was comparing what smashcon does to what apex does. I wouldn't care if you didn't provide any set ups. Because guess what, it's a regional where people can bring set ups. Not apex. But when all the "tos" do is set up a venue and collect money while volunteers run everything, it's fraud.

'V'

Smash Lord
My opinion is that venue fee could be cheaper, considering that the LAST series had a $5 one and the BR Monthlies had a $2 one. $10 just seems to be a bit much for a small regional when LAST had more people.

TO's should be the ones running brackets as well, not the volunteers. Setups, however, should always be brought by the players. TO's can only bring so much.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Seems like you are only looking for individual opinions which confirm what you think, while ignoring that despite criticisms, Smashcon can actually do something right or else people wouldn't show up.
Hello kettle, I'd like to introduce you to my friend, the pot.

I'm not as familiar with Smashcon (or any con) as most people here, so I will only speak to tournies in general. A venue fee is supposed to pay for the venue. I know that sounds obvious, but to charge more and then spend the venue fee on anything other than the venue is not only asinine but it's lying to the consumer as well. Otherwise you're charging a cover charge (like a bar) to play video games.

That said, I think I understand what's going on here. Some people (certainly not me) believe that because something costs more it's better, regardless of the actual quality.

Edit: I guess it would help to know how much the venue is charging to run an event there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom