• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Yee, I'll show up when everyone else gets there lol I gotta watch the world cup though babbyyyyyy

Kalzar

Smash Cadet
so what time are people planning on going to dibbz ive mostly seen times after 7pm

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Thanks guys. I saw a video of Clash Tournaments interviewing many players and most of them shed some justice for low tiers. What I mean by this is they said they want to see more low tiers. They stated that the potential to them is not yet known, and sadly Lord HDL dropped Link so he's going to be my main in Melee.

I plan on playing smash for many many more years, and I do think I slightly focus more on Melee than Brawl. Not a bad thing but it is my goal to show Link's potential.

Kalzar

Smash Cadet
GG everyone at dibbz, had a pretty good time (apart from locking my keys in my car).
Sars-pirate 5$ MM next time we get a chance to play

'V'

Smash Lord
Good games to those that came out to Dibbz tonight. It was nice to see Sars again. Hope to go out there more often in the future.

Logz

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys. I saw a video of Clash Tournaments interviewing many players and most of them shed some justice for low tiers. What I mean by this is they said they want to see more low tiers. They stated that the potential to them is not yet known, and sadly Lord HDL dropped Link so he's going to be my main in Melee.

I plan on playing smash for many many more years, and I do think I slightly focus more on Melee than Brawl. Not a bad thing but it is my goal to show Link's potential.
What? Who is Lord HDL using now? And yeah, I would love to see more low tiers. Link is very fun to play as. I'd like to learn some link in the future if I ever get really good at Melee.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
GGs to everyone! Thanks for coming yall, and let me know if any future gatherings will be in place! I'll try to make it to whatever lol

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
What? Who is Lord HDL using now? And yeah, I would love to see more low tiers. Link is very fun to play as. I'd like to learn some link in the future if I ever get really good at Melee.
Lord HDL plays Marth now I believe.

Sneakh

Smash Rookie
Yo, so I need to get good at this melee game I keep hearing about. Going to this LAGG tournament in BR on the 9th. I need someone to train with.

I'm in Natchitoches, so that puts me about an hour from Alex, shreveport, and leesville/fort polk. 2 hours from Lafayette. I have one setup (31" CRT) so you don't have to bring anything. If you need help with gas or whatever, it's fine. Also, free pizza. I also play brawl but I'd like to focus on melee...

'V'

Smash Lord
I have a feeling that a lot of the veterans are gonna get crapped on by all of the new fighters and crazily buffed characters. Everyone might wanna start picking new characters to rep for a while.

I'm pretty hyped for Lucina and Robin. Also, CAPTAIN FALCON!!!

Last edited:

Logz

Smash Cadet
Not gonna make it to The People's Tournament. Gotta leave for Memphis Sunday morning :((((((((((((((((

Profound sadness
Damn :\. Well, thanks for considering it man. The LSU Crew should be coming out for your tourney this weekend though (well, some of us to my knowledge.) Can't wait.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Yo, so I need to get good at this melee game I keep hearing about. Going to this LAGG tournament in BR on the 9th. I need someone to train with.

I'm in Natchitoches, so that puts me about an hour from Alex, shreveport, and leesville/fort polk. 2 hours from Lafayette. I have one setup (31" CRT) so you don't have to bring anything. If you need help with gas or whatever, it's fine. Also, free pizza. I also play brawl but I'd like to focus on melee...
You going to school there or just happen to live there? I was going to school there for a few years ending this past spring, but now I'm back in Anacoco (next to Leesville). I have a friend who lives in shreveport that'll be going to school at NSU, so this next semester I'd probably be down to come up there and smash with you guys. I also pretty regularly drive down to pineville to play with @ RuslinJimmies RuslinJimmies since there are no other players In my area, I think we can def work something out.
Thing is though, we mostly play Project M, only occasionally Melee. Are you familiar with PM at all?
I've been trying to get into Melee as well now since my little bro enjoys both, since and I'm trying to really encourage his interest in the scene, so It's not out of the question or anything; PM just happens to be what RJ, Andrew (Shreveport friend), and I enjoy most.

Last edited:

Sneakh

Smash Rookie
You going to school there or just happen to live there? I was going to school there for a few years ending this past spring, but now I'm back in Anacoco (next to Leesville). I have a friend who lives in shreveport that'll be going to school at NSU, so this next semester I'd probably be down to come up there and smash with you guys. I also pretty regularly drive down to pineville to play with @ RuslinJimmies RuslinJimmies since there are no other players In my area, I think we can def work something out.
This is though, we mostly play Project M, only occasionally Melee. Are you familiar with PM at all?
I'm trying to get into Melee more Since my little bro enjoys both and I'm trying really hard to encourage his interest in the scene, so It's not out of the question or anything, it just happens to be what RJ, Andrew (Shreveport friend) and I enjoy most.

To be honest, I enjoy PM a LOT more than I do melee- I learned to play smash with Brawl, and the PM team incorporated a lot of the movement options that were introduced with brawl - running pivot grabs, running c-stick upsmash, Reverse Air Rush Bairs, etc. Not to mention easier L-cancel timings. Buuut.. It seems like the tournament scene is leaning a lot towards Melee. Tournaments are fun. Honestly though, I love all versions of the game so I'll take what I can get.

I used to go to school here and I might be going back in the fall. But for now, I just work full time.

I'm down to drive somewhere if needed, but I have my own apartment (I share with a roommate, he doesn't care) with a decent setup, brawl, melee, pm. I'm free 99% of weekends. Let me know.

ChKn

Smash Ace
Trying to get Dolphin setup, but 648 is just a buggy nightmare. I also have a C-stick issue where it always moves towards the right on configuration.

Sneakh

Smash Rookie
>Running c-stick upsmash

You can still do that in melee it's just called a jump cancelled upsmash, all you do is jump before you upsmash.
Yeah, it's not a hard adjustment to make by any means... but it's still something to learn :p

It's an easy thing to flub if you're used to the other way.

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
Hey P:M'ers! I just moved to New Orleans and am looking to play asap! I live in Uptown a block away from the Play N Trade on Tchoup. Hit me up plsssss.

The dudes at Play N Trade are really nice and will work with us if we want to hold events there. They play Melee but are very interested in P:M!

Hope there are some of you out there!

D

Deleted member

I posted this as a response to a discussion about TOs making profits off of local tournaments. This has been a big topic of debate throughout louisiana. idk if other states have this problem but if they do, I hope this gets shared around the community as a whole. i didnt proof read it, so i may have miss spoken or typo'd a few times but i think its worth a read:

I'll start off by saying, nothing is inherently wrong with making money off tournaments. If no one supported any tournaments that people made money off of, apex, mlg, and evo wouldn't exist (along with many others).

but these are international tournaments. if youre making money off a tournament, be transparent about where the money is going. if players choose to support you because your tournament was that awesome, they want to pay you to host again, then **** yeah good job, but most of the time, that doesnt happen at smaller scale tournaments.

lots of players hold local tournaments for the love of the game and/or the community. they dont make money. thats cool. beyond that lets look at different classifications of tournaments as: local, state, semi regional, regional, national, and international. there was only 1 international tournament before mlg and evo picked back up melee. less than 6 "nationals" which is kind of an unfair statement because lots of the best players from far away wont show (KoC, CEO, Big House, ect), "national" and regional are almost one in the same, except usually m2k and a few others will show up to all these tournaments. semi regionals happen pretty regularly and top players might show up, or might not (usually depending on if they live in the state normally, or happen to be close by). state tournaments probably dont even attract the whole state, but all the players from the local scene, plus the best from the state (like internationals only get a large amount of players in the nation, but the best from other nations). then you have your locals that are usually just the best in your city/ close surrounding cities.

SO, assuming number of entrants corresponds with this classification of tournaments, and difficulty of running the tournament corresponds with the number of entrants, you get the same chart top to bottom of difficulty and number of people required to help run it, in a more easily read order of:

international (mlg, evo, apex)
national (big house, koc, ceo)
regional (arguably the same as a national)
semi- regional (big texas tournaments that get AZ, LA, and some north of tx to come. there are plenty like this i just dont have experience going to them)
state (smashcon, shrimp, hopefully people's tournament)
and local (lsu monthlies, open world monthlies, RofL monthlies, cove monthlies, ect)

Now, everything business related in the world is about supply and demand. does your region not even have local tournaments? players are certainly willing to pay for it. do they not have state tournaments? same thing. as you go up on the ladder, the number of tournaments goes down. obviously there are very few tournaments a year that will bring together the whole nation and attract international players. they will be HUGE and require huge man power to make them run smoothly and obviously cost more money. aside from top 50 in the world, people are paying for the experience, not to win.

as you go down the list, tournaments get more and more common. im going to skip a few levels and go down to local and state tournaments because the principles should reflect how it works on all levels.

our community is a perfect example of most community in the country (obviously you have big communities like north cali, south cali, north east, ect.), but most of the time, its just a hand full of guys trying to enjoy the game and get better.

so using us as an example, across louisiana, currently, none of the tournament organizers make money. does that mean they shouldnt ever make money off anything they do? no. it just means that there are so many people willing to do things at a local and state level that other people cant get away with taking money off the community (supply and demand. we have enough tournaments already. why give away money to people for extra tournaments when we have everything we need at low cost. giving the best players a reason to come out and play but not discouraging lower level players from entering because it cost too much). If someone came out with the sickest tournament ever that everyone in the region wanted to go to but they had to pay more people to make it run smoothly, no one would have a problem with it, but at a local/ state level, it is rare to need some kind of next level TOing. its just easy. know your seeding, enforce rule, run smoothly.

i want to make it clear though, this is only because we have a small community. in southern cali im sure TOs make money off tournaments all the time. why? because no one is going to run a 100+ man bracket monthly for free. its just not possible. you need dedicated TOs that dont play anything and are just there to run. unless they are rich and/or love the community SO MUCH, who is really willing to sacrifice their entire day to be stressed out for others? they are few and far between.

but back to the local scene. when you have small tournaments where most of the time, TOs play in tournaments and its not a big deal (even at smashcon where volunteers run things and usually play in their tournaments, as long as one person isnt expected to do too much it runs fine). once again, if people are willing to run things for free, spend the day enjoying themselves and hanging out with their friends, everyone is going to be mad if someone tries to come in and make money off the community.

lastly, on a small level, it discourages lesser players from entering tournaments. if you're one of the best, youre basically going to enter any tournament you can. it doesnt matter how much it costs for the most part because youre going to win more back. the REAL PROBLEM with people trying to make money off local tournaments (in a region like LA) is that the higher prices discourage lesser players from entering. ive said it before but i think a good quote is, "why would i pay a lot of money to get beat by the same people i do every day?"

i think people just really need to think on what TOs they want to support and which ones they dont by really evaluating what the tournaments they run really bring to the community, and TOs need to evaluate what new stuff they bring to the community and how much money its worth.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Trying to get Dolphin setup, but 648 is just a buggy nightmare. I also have a C-stick issue where it always moves towards the right on configuration.
I was having c stick issues when i set up netplay as well. I have a mayflash adapter, and when I was calibrating it, it was reading my z axis as up and down on the c stick, and z rotation as left right on the c stick. I don't know if that helps or not. Also, both sticks need to have a set radius of 100, if that helps.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I was having c stick issues when i set up netplay as well. I have a mayflash adapter, and when I was calibrating it, it was reading my z axis as up and down on the c stick, and z rotation as left right on the c stick. I don't know if that helps or not. Also, both sticks need to have a set radius of 100, if that helps.
You didn't set the inputs correctly in GCPad configuration

Bomber7

Smash Hero
i think people just really need to think on what TOs they want to support and which ones they dont by really evaluating what the tournaments they run really bring to the community, and TOs need to evaluate what new stuff they bring to the community and how much money its worth.
Given this statement, a bit of information needs to be established.
1) For the LA community: what would be a commonly accepted pricing for events (entry fee and venue) for each size event.
2) Is the community really looking for something new? If so, in what respect should something new be brought to the table. The LA community is pretty straight forward. We like our singles and doubles, we play, we go home. It's difficult to deviate because some people will complain enough to where you go back to that same old formula.
3) What criteria must be met in order to earn money off events to where is will be accepted by the community. I don't care how large the event is, problems always occur, the key factor is how well the TO handles the problem(s). In my opinion, tournaments are about logistics and there are mulitple factors which affect logistics (number of attendants, time of match, number of set-ups, etc). My biggest concern is you can have a tournament that was run the the best of its ability on very few set-ups with a lot of people, but because obviously it would take forever and a day to finish, it would be deemed the TO didn't deserve to make money off the event, when brining set-ups is more of a player responsibility. That's just a worst case scenario.

Those are just three things at the top of my head I can think of asking. I'm confident that if we can establish some sort of guidelline/criteria for events it'll help TO's create better events, but will also encourage the community to have a hand in it.

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
Basically I don't think TO's should be profiting off of tournaments UNLESS:
1. The event has more than 35 or so entrants
2. The TO is using his house and it has more than 20 or so entrants (shout outs to Taylor and the shrimp series)
3. The TO has to spend his whole day running the tournament and doesn't have time to enter any events (this usually only happens with large scale tourneys which are not frequent here in LA)
4. The tournament is A+ meaning it attracts OoS players, has a high amount of entrants, a good venue, and most importantly of all, it is run well

I just made this list up on the spot but I think it would be incredibly helpful for all the TO's of LA if the community could collaborate on a guideline sort of like this just for reference. This way all the TO's could be on the same page as tourney goers and we could figure out just what people are willing to pay for what sort of tournament and what they expect to get out of it. Also this would help dispel the taboo around here of TO's getting paid for running tourneys

Top Bottom