• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
I was never a fan of SF series. Someone fill me in. 3rd strike.....very good or very bad? What does "the 3rd strike of smash" correlate to, basically?

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
i think he means like 3rd strike was a different version of street fighter than sf2(or the original sf3),brawl is a different version of smash than melee was. At first people hated 3rd strike cuz it was different but now it is still widely played (basicly people got use to it and started to like it)

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
ya, i tried letting u join but my opponent didnt want to, sorry like i said before ill always let people join its up to my opponent

and lee was lagging in our matches too, i think his internet broked or sumthing

BravoNavo

Smash Rookie
The Street Fighter community treats 3rd Strike as a completely separate beast from Street Fighter 2. You can't play them the same way. I enjoy 3S and can't play ST (SF2 Super Turbo) worth a ****.

The thing is that the SF community never compares the two citing one as a better game. They simply accept both. When I last went to EVO South, there were separate tourneys for each game. Each has their own following. This is what the Smash community should consider doing IMHO.

And Taylor, what's this about knocking 3rd Strike for being too simple? Hurts my feelings. ;_;

(It's Gary, btw)

Sudai

Stuff here
To whoever was asking( I forgot as I read the question like...10 hours ago) I main Olimar along with Tink and ROB (if you could consider it maining after only a week and a few days of playing the ****ed game. : P)

Gnuf, before I come over, I'm gonna need a phone number(Cell or otherwise. Doesn't matter. Just a way she can get in touch with me if my phone craps out), address, and real name(Just your first. I don't like knowning people's last names. :x) for my mom. I can drive myself over there, just my mom is crazy paranoid about everything. You can just PM it to me if you don't feel like giving it out on the boards.

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
gnuf, if you're looking to play people. I'm down. You're not too far from where I live (I live on Essen in between interstates) - assuming you're an adult or close to. I don't want to show up to some kid's house...his parents would think I'm trying to **** him and that's just not a scenario I wanna step into over Brawl.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
Wow my response is late, but I'm mostly responding to previous posts made about Brawl and Melee comparisons.

I do think that Melee does have some gay inescapable combos and situations, even though smash DI and creative teching can break a lot of them. Even though Melee is more programmed to have combos, that really isn't a bad thing in my opinion. Rather than making the gameplay less interesting with more combo options, I think it makes it more interesting because players are concerned with avoiding these situations altogether, so the game actually becomes more strategical and tactical at the same time. Lee, I think that you underestimate a lot of the depth of Melee. Maybe you've played it so long that these "mindgames" or "options" are obvious to you, but I think that they contribute to the gameplay.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
in response to flarefox's post..

Thats pretty much how i feel about the whole comparison except.. its not i underestimate melee bc i love it. ive been playing it so long (since day 1) that everything in the game is like a second nature to me. i dont even think about what i do in melee anymore its just natural. and in the end it just turns into a very boring experience. i was just ready for something new and brawl just exceeds my expectations. they took many techniques out but i like it in a sense because it doesnt give one character a huge advantage over another. melee has a LOT of depth to its gameplay but when you perfectly understand every possible matchup between fox,falco,sheik, and marth. its just not so deep anymore.... im not trying to make myself sound better than anybody else im just speaking my mind. i guess ive just already had more than my fill of melee.

Sudai

Stuff here
Bump cause I don't like being half way down the page. >>;

Oh, and Lee. Is there any reason you have that period after your name? I meant to ask you forever ago but I kept forgetting to cause I was usually...Well yeah. You know what we usually did when we got together. XD

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I understand your post Lee.. It sounds like you've been playing Melee for so long, you've grown tired of repetitive gameplay and are looking for something new. I can understand that, but I don't understand how Brawl's newness and differentiality makes it automatically better than Melee. It's not really fair to judge a game by how new and different it is and by how bored you got of the other one. The best way would, in my mind, would be to compare how satisfied with the games you were while in your prime in both. In 7 years, we'll all probably tired of Brawl; so, when/if the next SSB game comes out, will we be judging it based on how bored we are of Brawl? Will the satisfaction we get from Brawl as it is now play any part in how we judge the next SSB game, or will we simply deem it better because Brawl became boring?

In short, are you really more satisfied with Brawl than you have ever been with Melee?

Battousai780

Smash Ace
I'm planning on being at Dibbz on Saturday at around 7pm. I'll bring my Wii + Brawl.
I wanna go so badly. And if I do, I'll bring mah Wii and Brawl too. If I go, I'll prolly get there earlier in the day and just stay all day.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
sry i havent posted in awhile fellas. if its cool id love to show up sat night at dibbz and get some brawl action.

btw brawl fc: is in my profile

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm gonna try to get to Dibbz on Saturday. I know I say that like...once a month and it doesn't happen, but like...****...I really wanna go. : ( *curses his mom*

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Hey Eet, can you put my friend code on the front page? I live in destrehan which is right by kenner if you don't want to make a new section. 0001-2997-1713

KenAlleman

Smash Rookie
Woah, I just realized that everyone on this board (excluding DSK and Sudai) have been void of my awesome presence. I sincerely apologize and I humbly offer friendly matches over wifi to anyone who's interested. FC: 4038-5660-1692.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
in response to flarefox's post..

Thats pretty much how i feel about the whole comparison except.. its not i underestimate melee bc i love it. ive been playing it so long (since day 1) that everything in the game is like a second nature to me. i dont even think about what i do in melee anymore its just natural. and in the end it just turns into a very boring experience. i was just ready for something new and brawl just exceeds my expectations. they took many techniques out but i like it in a sense because it doesnt give one character a huge advantage over another. melee has a LOT of depth to its gameplay but when you perfectly understand every possible matchup between fox,falco,sheik, and marth. its just not so deep anymore.... im not trying to make myself sound better than anybody else im just speaking my mind. i guess ive just already had more than my fill of melee.
True; I understand your perspective because you've played melee for 7 years. Just as MuraRengan said, though, the same thing will likely happen to Brawl. I personally make the mistake of comparing the two way too much, so brawl just seems like no fun compared to melee. I just can't help it, though. I would like Brawl more if they had completely changed the gameplay (even down to basic movements and the general appearance of them) instead of just making major adjustments to the way it worked in Melee that seem to visually mimic Melee but are actually very different.

You really shouldn't talk about Melee as though it's gone. I think people will continue to play it. In a lot of places, it's split 50/50 between those that prefer SSBM and SSBB, so melee will likely have small side-tournaments or just fun friendlies at Brawl tournaments. I think most of Lafayette has made up its mind that we're going to just play Brawl extremely casually, because we're getting tired of it already. I just can't have fun in Brawl because it feels so limiting, and there's just something special to me about the tempo and gameplay of Melee. Brawl has kinda helped open my mind to new possibilities in Melee, too. I used to do a "run-off" fair with Marth a lot to edgeguard in Melee (things like run-off fair, double jump fair (non-sweetspotted) are great against spacies in certain situations), but I'm now realizing exactly how good it is in Melee after being forced to use it in Brawl all the time.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
yeah i am kind of a necroposter (i come back once every 4 mos) im gonna start getting on this thread more often.

i go to xavier in new orleans. i hate it. im from slidell. prob going to lsu next year. brawl, street fighter and halo and css are my games. i would like to go to evo this year. dibbz sat night people? what time? ill bring my sd card as well.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
yeah i am kind of a necroposter (i come back once every 4 mos) im gonna start getting on this thread more often.

i go to xavier in new orleans. i hate it. im from slidell. prob going to lsu next year. brawl, street fighter and halo and css are my games. i would like to go to evo this year. dibbz sat night people? what time? ill bring my sd card as well.
Ill be there all day on saturday. Also, why do you hate Xavier? I planned on going there for pharmacy.

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
the only thing that sucks about xavier is the tuition and parking spot, lol. i went there last year. i had everything paid for but i decided not to go into pharmacy anymore. now im at lsu

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
I noticed my FC isn't on the front page, so I'm reposting. Whoever can should add me to the front page.

1934-0330-7111

gnuf, I see that you're in college, we should definitely play sometime since you said you don't play people not online much....PM your number =)

Mamush

Smash Cadet
I added everyones code from the front page... If you add me just put me in as MAT. Im going to remind Zack to add everyone on his list as well. =P

Mamush(MAT)
0602-5921-1981

Zaku(ZACK)
1676-3339-2866

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
pharm school aint bad there its just some aspects of the life of a xavierite. social life is fail. depends i guess.

anyways im pretty ****ty in brawl. i need to get mah dk and mk skillz down.

B

balmung135

hey guys i am a ssbb player who is learning the AT, if they can be called that, and trying to gain tourney skills. I would love to play agaisnt some of yall i live in river ridge and im trying to find out if gamestores are having tournaments yet.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
allisbrawl.com

**** "wifiwars", this site is where its at. Its very quick to register and find what u want, theres a built in chatroom too where u can just trash talk and challenge people to wifi matches. very exellent site. i been playing a buncha people from chicago and TX. haven't found anyone 'better' than me, but a couple i went about even with.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
battousai, if u want, i can bring my wii. i was gonna get u to help me beat bosses on intense anyway. ive been at it for days.

i got so close yesterday and tabuu gayed me with his spinwheel. i ate a baby out of frustration.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
battousai, if u want, i can bring my wii. i was gonna get u to help me beat bosses on intense anyway. ive been at it for days.

i got so close yesterday and tabuu gayed me with his spinwheel. i ate a baby out of frustration.
Sure, bring it. I'm not too good at fighting comps/bosses though. xD But if you want to do that before playing reg matches that's cool.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
cool, mura has vids of me loosing to him on youtube, post them here mura i dont care if im loosing, let everyone here see em ...

Sudai

Stuff here
Cyphus, I've been playing with people from AllIsBrawl.com and I'd have to agree. I haven't really found anyone that good. I go even with a few, most I beat consistently. Only person to beat me more than half the time was RoK the Reaper, but he'd always restart the match if it wasn't FD..

Oh, and Ken, if you see this, give me a call tonight. Found some guys that wanna play teams online and I figured it'd be a good chance for us to practice. : )

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
yaaa, nice vids i can see all my mistakes, that was like only the third time i played someone online...

but i guess LA is just better than everyone else in brawl

Top Bottom