• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Boards' QnA Thread

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Thanks? Would you guys say whether the majority does or does not use it? I really don't know. It seems like it could really help with recovery and pressuring.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
why is lucas good on norfair & brinstar?
http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=98124
This is a topic I posted about the exact same question. Luckily, the people at AiB left very good answers. Don't forget to read all responses

Hi Lucas peoples! I was just curious how many people actually use B-sticking in there Lucas controls.
I do... I find it easier to use my PFK and PKT1/2... But if you really fond of your retreating aerials you should use your smash-stick (in case you're thinking of picking Lucas up as a secondary)

Isn't there a thread that lists the percent(s) Lucas recovers from energy projectiles with PSi Magnet?
If so, could someone link me? Because I can't find it :)
Here you go, I found this through my regular browsing a while back:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6945608&postcount=47

Jasx

Smash Rookie
I just decided to main Lucas and Im having a hard time doing low jump nairs and low jumps in general, any advice...I use game cube controler if that matters

Levitas

the moon
welcome to smashboards ^_^

practice is really the only thing that helps with that. try to get off x/y faster and on to A ASAP to get a SH nair to autocancel. perhaps rolling your thumb from x to a would work.

Also, nice avatar. I really liked princess mononoke.

Jasx

Smash Rookie
Thanks the advice I need to switch from tap jumping lol... yea all of Myazaki's films are amazing

lil cj

Smash Lord
Thats a pretty cool AT
Pika is full of surprises
Pikachu is an excellent teammate for Lucas
Im not really how we can use this though???
Maybe it can set up a psi magnet stage spike/gimp and it will heal us at the same time
That would be cool

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i think i thunder + pk freeze/thunder ledgeguard would work better in most cases, but if you're going in for a spike you might as well do this for extra awesome.

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
I just decided to main Lucas and Im having a hard time doing low jump nairs and low jumps in general, any advice...I use game cube controler if that matters
Try sliding your thumb from the button above A (Y?) to A. Its really fast, and after a bit you can autocancel Nair every time.

What would be a good way to use PSI Magnet offensively?

Levitas

the moon
in terms of application, people have the most trouble avoiding it as certain characters offstage.

Don't do this to MK, you will die.

lil cj

Smash Lord

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I want to use Link against my friends Lucas, what are things a Link should watch out for and the dos and don't in the Link vs Lucas MU.

If you guys could give me a link to a MU Lucas thread that would help, the search doesn't seem to working.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Okay, Lucas'! I've got a question for you and I'm not even sure I should be asking you guys or the Marth boards. Last night I went over to my friends house to play Brawl. He was using Wolf, I think and I was using Marth. However, to make things a little interesting, we threw in a level 9 random CPU. We went to Yoshi's Island (Melee) and the level 9 random was a Lucas. I figured I'd just go for the death grab because he was being so darn annoying it wasn't even funny!

Anyway, I was near the hill, but not on it or very close to it. I was closer to the platforms in the middle that can break with one hit. However, Lucas was not above it. Basically we were on the grass. Neither of the platforms were broken. Anyway, I grabbed Lucas pressing R + A, because apparently the Z button isn't as effective for this. I grabbed him, pummeled him and did that about three times, no pauses in between and suddenly he was air released. Did I mess up or did he actually escape it all on his own?

Sorry for the life story.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
computers are annoying!!!11

If you mistime one pummel against the computers, they'll air release...

Uffe

Smash Hero
computers are annoying!!!11

If you mistime one pummel against the computers, they'll air release...
Okay. So let's say if I grab you, you can still escape even while being pummeled, right? For example, sometimes whenever my brother would grab me with Samus at a high percent, I was still able to escape early on. Could that have happened? Because I'm positive I didn't miss on pummel. By the way, I think I've told you this before, but you have a creative name.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I think it was probably just the computer then... but this probably could use more testing...

about my name, on regular forums my name is rocketscience, that's where it came from

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well, I don't know. I'd give it a shot. Maybe I did miss a pummel, but I just kept going for the hit, none stop and then he was air released. I hope he can escape it, though. That'd be nice. :(

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Had my first tournament yesterday/today.

It was great fun, and for my first time playing against a real person in a 1v1 battle, I think I did pretty well (in singles anyway, I failed doubles).

Most people were Warios (I didn't verse any of those though), Diddies, MKs, Pits and a few snakes.

I didn't play against wario, but I did do a few friendlies with one, sometimes I won, sometimes he won. I can't get that chain grab going though (wario can have that pummel-grab thingy done to him right?)

I lost to the diddy I played, and in all the friendlies I played with a diddy I lost them. I seriously have no idea what to do with them.

With Pit, I couldn't do it as Lucas, but the one pit I did verse was pretty easy to take care of with Kirby.

With snake, same thing as Pit. Sort of. I did a couple of friendlies with one, he won every time, but the last match with Toon Link was pretty darn close (I had him on around 120% last stock, I was on 150% last stock), so I might be able to use him for snake.

I won against the MK I played with Lucas, so I was happy about that.

I lost against the G&W I played, but I used MK with him because I was afraid that Kirby and Lucas might not be such a good match up. It was sort of close I guess ;-; But not really.

So basically, what am I supposed to do against Diddy, G&W and Wario?

Also, when it came to counterpicking, I seriously had no idea what to pick so just chose FD everytime. Any tips here ;-;?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
We're already doing Diddy next :p

Also, request for the order changes should be PM'd to me

Uffe

Smash Hero
Don't bother with Final Destination when fighting Diddy Kong. Your best bet is to take advantage of stages with platforms. When you're also fighting Diddy Kong, don't roll a lot. It just prepares him for a combo. If there is a banana in front of you and behind you, just stand up. Don't roll out of the animation where your character is laying down. If Diddy Kong is anywhere near you, you might be better off rolling in a direction away from, whether there is a banana in front of you or behind you. It's up to you.

For me, I like using Brinstar as a counter pick. If legal, Pirate Ship and maybe Luigi's Mansion. The stages you want to ban are Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise (it's just annoying, or a stage that Diddy Kong can take an advantage on such as Final Destination. With platforms around, Diddy Kong shouldn't really be able to use his bananas as effectively. When he does use his bananas, you can either toss them back at him, which is something I'd avoid doing since he can just roll and re-grab them, or you can toss them off the stage or maybe on the platforms, if any. If you know how to glide-toss, use that. Be creative with his bananas. Glide-toss them at him, toss them upward, throw them downward, do whatever helps you out.

For Wario, I wouldn't think Lucas has as much of a problem with him like Ness. For one, Wario doesn't have any projectile, which means you can bait him. So don't even bother going to him unless you really have to, like maybe to kill him or something. I do believe he has a grab release > f-smash on Lucas, which is something to look out for. When recovering, he could throw his Bike at you to gimp you. Not only by tossing it on your PK Thunder, but just by having it fall on you multiple times until you die.

So to avoid this, you'll want to Zap Jump. Wario likes to use his dair quite a lot to rack up damage, pressure shields and possibly set up a dair > Bite. I'm not sure if Lucas' nair counters this or if both attacks trade hits, but it's worth a shot, I suppose. If you decide to counter pick a stage against Wario, avoid a stage like Brinstar, as he does just as good on that stage like Ness and Lucas. Just learn the match ups and things should get a little easier for you over time.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Sorry e.e

And I'll take a look at the stage thread to answer the question myself.

Thanks for your help.
youre afropony's friend, yeah? you shouldve had a chat to me on sunday, and i wouldve helped you out. lucas is my second, and he deals with the best mks and diddy's melbourne's got to offer relatively well. gw is horrible though. dont even bother.

oh, and i finally learnt on the weekend, lucas is totally tournament viable. gg.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
youre afropony's friend, yeah? you shouldve had a chat to me on sunday, and i wouldve helped you out. lucas is my second, and he deals with the best mks and diddy's melbourne's got to offer relatively well. gw is horrible though. dont even bother.

oh, and i finally learnt on the weekend, lucas is totally tournament viable. gg.
Rofl, I totally agree that Lucas does well in tourneys.

I think I did reasonably well with him for my first time playing against a human. I still got ***** by Splice's G&W (I swear, I should have just used Lucas. I kept falling into his dair, over and over again. It was hilarious) and Khoa's Diddy (I beat his MK though, yay4me).

But next time I'll make sure to speak to you, maybe get a few friendlies ;-;

@Uffe

Wow, thanks for the help.

Seriously did help. I'm trying to see if I can pick up WiiGee at the moment though, that might help just in case ><

Top Bottom