• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Boards' QnA Thread

MTGod

Smash Champion
Wow, thanks for testing it out Chris :p Could it be possible that this "reflecting spot" is located on the pat of the edge where (if you're standing on the stage) the "Oh No I'm Gonna Fall" animation occurs??? If someone can perfect the PKT2 reflection and put it to good use in a match, I'll be smiling :D If only the reflection didn't still leave Lucas in the freefall state...

ChrisTheCom

Smash Cadet
Wow, thanks for testing it out Chris :p Could it be possible that this "reflecting spot" is located on the pat of the edge where (if you're standing on the stage) the "Oh No I'm Gonna Fall" animation occurs??? If someone can perfect the PKT2 reflection and put it to good use in a match, I'll be smiling :D If only the reflection didn't still leave Lucas in the freefall state...
Haha, don't mention it. Lucky coincidence I ran into it at the same time :)

It's a good idea that it is in that spot where the falling animation occurs, but I'm not sure how too test it. If someone did manage to perfect it I would be so happy, but as Wobbuffet said, its way too precise for how gimicky and situational it is.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
I keep trying to sh dair!!! It DOESN'T WORK!!!
Is bair any good at all besides spiking offstage? It seems fair is better than it in every way besides the spike part.

Also if there anyway to effectively play Lucas uncampy? The main reason I like Ness more than Lucas is because Ness is more of an offensive character and Lucas is more of a defensive character. Defensive characters are boring to me.

Chuee

Smash Hero
._.
FH Dair don't SH.
Bair isn't realy that great.
Nair, Fair, Dair, & Uair all combo.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Also if there anyway to effectively play Lucas uncampy?
Nair gets up in people's grills. ...Wow, that term is old.

Brawl in general can be tough to play "uncampy", but any character can be offensive if you force it...

Nair wrecks people who sit on their shields and is overall a great move. Dair can be a decent approach against quite a few characters because of its disjoint/followup options. Don't try to dashgrab like with Ness... D: Pivot's better, but I still wouldn't use it that often. Might just be me, though.

Lucas is kind of not good at approaching, though.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Lucas' approaches aren't as good as Ness' but he still has a few decent approaches.

Levitas

the moon
Do silly things like SH nairing into peoples shields and autocancelling into other funny things like jab combos. When your opponent starts to get a feel for that, laugh at them and mix it up with ftilts, dtilts, and fsmashes.

Do this to marth if you want to get up b'd.

Trick your opponent into doing something laggy by throwing fire at them and not running in. If your opponent is smart enough to just walk at and is playing someone with more range than lucas's ftilt, ggs...

Neon Ness

Do silly things like SH nairing into peoples shields and autocancelling into other funny things like jab combos. When your opponent starts to get a feel for that, laugh at them and mix it up with ftilts, dtilts, and fsmashes.

Do this to marth if you want to get up b'd.
What? No one in their right mind should be playing Marth as Lucas. That's just crazy.
No, really.

It's sort of dumb how he can Dolphin Slash in the middle of Lucas' jab string. That... is beyond ridiculous.

Oh yeah, wouldn't it make more sense to sticky this than to put "KEEP BUMPED" in the title? Wasn't someone looking for this thread earlier?

MTGod

Smash Champion
What? No one in their right mind should be playing Marth as Lucas. That's just crazy. No,
Not if you know the Marth player like the back of your hand :p I actually made a Marth main rage quit Marth because of my Lucas - he now mains Ness XDXDXD Best. Moment. Ever. :p

My best approaches are auto cancelled Nair and FH Dair, but I do often try mindgaming with an empty hop approach in the second/third games as my opponents get into the habit of thinking I'll SH PKF every time I SH since I use it to camp and retreat...

Neon Ness

How many times should the dtilt be used
Until the edge of the stage. Then unleash your free up smash.

Wait, we're talking dtilt lock, right?

I found jab to be a better move for getting the opponent away at close range. And at longer range...pfft. Ftilt is better usually for spacing. My 2 cents.

Grab release > dtilt (trips) > fsmash is funny.

Dajayman

^ What is this awesome??!!

I know defense works much better than offense in this game, but I mean there are times where you can use offensive approaches to your advantage. Ness can do this well with dash grabs, aerials, etc. but I think this is where Lucas fails. Anyone who can outcamp Lucas has an immediate advantage because you are forced to use Lucas' horrible offensive game. Nair is the only thing I see as being a good offensive approach, maybe a well space fair too. It seems all the rest of his moves are best meant for defense.

Dajayman

Explain then, in great detail. I'm not a Lucas expert obviously, which is why I'm here asking questions and stating what I feel. Please prove me wrong otherwise I will be forced to forever hate Lucas.

Dekar173

Justice Man
There's no one "sure-fire" style of playing.

Mix it up.

Are you playing EXTREMELY defensive? Have you connected 3 PK Fires only to let your opponent recollect himself after each and every one? Throw out another, but this time how about a follow-up? If you've done the same thing (successfully) you've done well, but now take it one step further. Juggle him, punish him even harder for making that one tiny mistake.

Even if you don't take that to heart- please at least hear me out here; stop thinking in terms of black and white, you'll never be great if you think "X" is THE BEST thing to do in "Y" scenario- as your opponent isn't a CPU, (there are patterns, no one can deny this) but they're also capable of mixing it up whenever they **** well please, and it's not a pretty sight to see a flowchart player get picked apart by someone who actually THINKS while playing.

tl;dr mix it up, scrubbies

MTGod

Smash Champion
So, about momentum cancelling - I've noticed Magnet cancels all vertical movement... This makes it useful when being hit upwards, yes (mash down B)??? However, if you're travelling diagonally up and are thus in danger of the side blast zones as well, would the lag of Magnet be more detrimental than the standard momentum cancel of fastest aerial --> double jump???

KoozyK

Smash Ace
Ftilt? ~~sorry if this is in the wrong spot to be posted

I was wondering if there is an easier way to do a ftilt other than slowly pushing the anologe stick

since no Q&A exist within lucas thred i asked here sorry if it was unneeded to post a new thred

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Well since the thread was locked and KoozyKris was directed here, i'll answer his question here. His question was:

I was wondering if there is an easier way to do a ftilt other than slowly pushing the anologe stick
Yes there is. You can set the C-stick to attack and that'll perform a tilt rather than a smash.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
iim using a gcube controller and i can never seem to do a forward tilt when ever i want to. im not good at any of them to be honest but ftilts my worst. can anyone help me?

thanx tanker but i was wondering if there was any other easy ways to do it without csticking it?

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
play melee. practice utilting.
then play brawl, and you should be able to do every tilt with ease.
or
just lighten up on the control stick. lol

Brahmin

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm posting for a friend.

We're going to a Smash Bros. tournament tomorrow and our main competition is a Falco who overuses dodge-rolling.

My friend would love to know a good way to punish him, hes already got a natural talent for punishing, and I'm sure he'd be able to pick up punishing dodge-roll abuse incredibly quickly.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Hey, I'm posting for a friend.

We're going to a Smash Bros. tournament tomorrow and our main competition is a Falco who overuses dodge-rolling.

My friend would love to know a good way to punish him, hes already got a natural talent for punishing, and I'm sure he'd be able to pick up punishing dodge-roll abuse incredibly quickly.
Several things he can do but it depends on who he uses, i'm assuming lucas bc you're asking it here. I would just walk up to the guy, turn around, and Dsmash. :laugh: If the kid is roll happy, he'll roll right into it. Anything that is multi-hit helps punish spot-dodge spammers, like Nair, Dair, and i guess Usmash would work too.

Enima

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I am new to the boards but am not at all new to lucas. I know a lot of the tricks and can do them well, but I have a question.

I normally zap jump when I'm below the stage and I see someone coming for me so I don't get gimped. But what is the best thing to do after the zap jump?

Alustiel

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I am new to the boards but am not at all new to lucas. I know a lot of the tricks and can do them well, but I have a question.

I normally zap jump when I'm below the stage and I see someone coming for me so I don't get gimped. But what is the best thing to do after the zap jump?
If you zap jumping without the wavebounce your pretty high up without alot of options of a 2nd jump. Id try to zap jump and grab the stage with a tether but thats coming from below the stage. If you zap jump and your really high up top you can pretty much just dair airdodge or magnet to throw off some timing on them trying to punish you.

daisythirdeyeW33

Smash Apprentice
Hi to all players who use Lucas
I didn't know where to post this thank you/retiring message.

I just want to say thank you to the brawl character Lucas for helping me win matches back in 2007 (i think it was in 2007 I don't know, its super early in the morning for me to know properly) and for all the fun memories I had using him. The reason why I'm posting this sad resignation post is, because I haven't played him in a while when the game came out.

I'm not here to snub the players who use him, I'm just honored that he helped me in brawls.

For you see, a couple of years back when a PGL Tournament came to my city he helped made it to the finals. Unfortunately, I didn't use him in my final match. (I used Zelda) *I got in third place due to my brawling mistakes.* I used a WiiMote and Nunchuk controller to make it to the finals. Pretty good huh!?
*Remember, this was when Brawl was out and I was just getting used to Brawl's new game physics.

As my final saying, I'd like to say to all Lucas Players out there, do your best in mastering his moves.
. . .
. . .
. . .
Maybe I'll ask a question anyway?

What is considered to be the toughest technique to master on Lucas? This I'd like to know.

Neon Ness

What is considered to be the toughest technique to master on Lucas? This I'd like to know.
There are players today (myself included) who still can't Zap Jump consistently during matches, probably because it's so frame precise. So I'd say that. Everything else he has is more a matter of finding the right control scheme moreso than being difficult.

Incidentally, Brawl came out in 2008. In America, anyway.

Top Bottom