• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Match-Up Discussion [12TH ROTATION: King D3] Updated 8/10/08 FINALLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMann

Smash Ace
Grrr if it wasn't for that stupid!!!! should be banned!!!! piece of crap!!! infinite chaingrab DDD has on Luigi he would not be a hard match up at all. Now I have to be scared to pick luigi because all somebody has to do is stand stationary and grab me until 300% and forward throw me!! :(

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
I haven't come into a fight against a ZSS where I felt like I couldn't just whoop ***. haha. ZSS just doesn't seem that tough at all. There are only a few useful moves and people simply use them over and over.

tropewhat

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoonAim
i am interested in luigi vs. zelda - shes hard to approach from air because of her upsmash and her lightning kick also can be a pain for luigi's air game but she's pretty good on the ground because of her fasty dsmash I DUNNO

cutter

Smash Champion
Honestly, this is a hopeless matchup for Luigi. And yes, it's because of the infinite. Luigi has to play hit and run and stay in the air all match if he wants to even think about winning. All it takes is one powershield into a shieldgrab and Luigi loses a stock. Don't forget DDD can toss Waddle Dees and pursue you in the air because of his jumps and high priority aerials.

It's just too hard to avoid getting grabbed by DDD. His grab range is enormous, his sidestep is crazy, and he can chase down Luigi pretty easily. I would advise just picking a different character against DDD.

10-0 in favor of DDD. I am not joking at all. The infinite just obliterates Luigi to the point where he just can't win. And no, the infinite is not going to be banned -_-

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Well your 2 weeks late amirite? lulz. Personally I find Mk alot easier than D3, because I don't have to worry about projectiles, getting inhhaled, and infinited until I beg for mercy. This is why it's a test of spacing, if you don't space, dont expect to get off happy without getting infinited.

Magus420

Smash Master
Lots of johns about Dedede's 'infinite' on Luigi. If you're losing a stock to it after getting grabbed with less than like 100 damage that's your own fault for letting them get the required grab hits in with their throws at damages where you can simply mash out. It's comparable to his CG on most of the cast and he can only get a couple d-throws off and then needs to end it, but can also get a reliable KO off a grab at high damage when it actually does become infinite.

How many of the people talking about losing entire stocks anytime you get grabbed have actual experience against the 'infinite'? DK can lose whole stocks from Dedede's grabs... not Luigi.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Lots of johns about Dedede's 'infinite' on Luigi. If you're losing a stock to it after getting grabbed with less than like 100 damage that's your own fault for letting them get the required grab hits in with their throws at damages where you can simply mash out. It's comparable to his CG on most of the cast and he can only get a couple d-throws off and then needs to end it, but can also get a reliable KO off a grab at high damage when it actually does become infinite.

How many of the people talking about losing entire stocks anytime you get grabbed have actual experience against the 'infinite'? DK can lose whole stocks from Dedede's grabs... not Luigi.

I don't know what your saying.. but this discussion about D3 and itself in general is dead just a FYI lol. I'm one of those people that DOES have actual expreience in getting infinited. And boy it's quite annoying espically when it's a skilled D3 player. Even without the infinite, D3 is still hard to over come. He rules the air in terms of range and possiblity of power, very hard to gimp, is heavy weight which basically erases Luigi's kill options until very high %s, and Luigi's gimp game.

Of course I'm pretty sure at least once you'll get infinited. But meh. That's we have a GaW secondary right? ^_^

Magus420

Smash Master
I'm saying it's not an infinite until high damage where it basically becomes a long drawn out KO setup at a percent that isn't that big of a loss to lose your stock at. Before then it's not much different than his CG on most characters as he can only get a couple regrabs on you then must end it (5 iirc when the throw is completely fresh). If they're able to get grab hits in to keep the throw fresh enough to continue regrabbing when you're not at high damage, you're not mashing out fast enough.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Ike's matchup against Luigi

Hello everyone. I'm here (again) arguing on the matchup against Ike. The matchup guide recommends Luigi to play defensively and wait for Ike to screw up on a laggy move for then punishing him and implies that approaching him would never be necessary. I think it is the other way around; Ike should be trying to space himself while Luigi pressures him and tries to get close enough to land his killing moves (Fsmash, Nair and Fire punch). Also, punishing Ike is not as easy as it sounds for Luigi. Ike will be approaching with (besides jabs) the use of Nair (which auto-cancels), Fair (with great range and a shorter ending animation when landing) which cannot be punished is Ike spaces right.

The guide says that Ike’s recovery can be easily gimped by the use of ledge hopped Bair. Ike is heavy and his Aether shouldn’t be easy to gimp for Luigi until Ike has a very high percentage as Luigi must hit his Bair before the SA frames take effect. Luigi recovery, well, shouldn’t save him past 70%.

I present you the matchup guide I’ve posted in Ike’s boards last attempt on making a matchup guide. I will work on a more insightful analysis after I have some feedback from Luigi players and more time.

Oh, and FD and SV as counterpicks? they seem very even to me.

Luigi Matchup

Character profile: Luigi is known for his powerful juggling and decent KO power. As his brother, he got fireballs as a projectile. But their limited effectiveness (they travel slowly and cause low damage) conclusively makes Luigi a close-quarters combatant;

How he will be playing: Although lightweight, Luigi is much faster than Ike. He will use his “short hopped fireballs to tornado” or his sliding Dsmash (which can poke under your shield) for approaching. If the tornado or Dsmash connects, they will throw you up where he can juggle you. Missed Aethers, Fsmashes, QDs, and other laggy moves can be punished severely with Fire punch. He may also use Fire punch out of a jab combo or in the air for early kills.

How you can fight back: Spacing is the key. With spacing you can prevent Luigi from countering your moves and prevent Fire punch KOs. So make sure you hit your attacks with the tip at all times. Remember that his fireballs are only diversion and look out for his tornado, if you shield it, the ending lag is enough for you to grab him or (depending on the distance he travelled) hitting an Ftilt. He can only perform his sliding Dsmash while he is walking, so watch out for that too. Also, his recovery can only travel horizontally or vertically and gimping during his recovery moves execution is easy.

Statistical analysis

Survivability: Much lighter than Ike, Luigi can be knocked off stage by 70% and KO’ed by 100% (from the center of Final Destination, using Ftilts). As mentioned before, his recovery moves leave him very vulnerable.

KO potential: Luigi moves have decent knockback overall, but his finishers are Fsmash (which can be angled), Nair and Fire punch. Their reach is very limited and requires Luigi to pressure and chase his opponent. Luigi doesn’t exceed at gimping Ike, as attempting to interrupt Aether can potentially get him killed.

Combo potential: Good. Can hack up to 60% if the Ike hasn’t spaced himself appropriately and kill if chained successfully with one of his finishers. Remember to air dodge and DI away from Luigi after been thrown into the air.

Range: He has good range for a close-quarters combatant, as his limbs stretch dramatically during his attacks. Not in league with Ike though.

Maneuverability: Luigi has a very good aerial and ground acceleration, which are crucial for spacing himself for juggling or applying one of his finishers.

Final analysis
**** (four stars), or slight easy matchup. Play smart and you have the advantage here.

Counterpick stages: Stages with roof prevent the use of Fire punch and you from be killed until at least 120%.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Lol arguing the Ike matchup? O.o Just FYI, our matchup is kinda or very outdated due to the OP being unable to matchup date this very frequently. But if you do need help on working on it, I'll be happy to run over to Ike boards and help.

PM me.

Varinox

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone. I'm here (again) arguing on the matchup against Ike. The matchup guide recommends Luigi to play defensively and wait for Ike to screw up on a laggy move for then punishing him and implies that approaching him would never be necessary. I think it is the other way around; Ike should be trying to space himself while Luigi pressures him and tries to get close enough to land his killing moves (Fsmash, Nair and Fire punch). Also, punishing Ike is not as easy as it sounds for Luigi. Ike will be approaching with (besides jabs) the use of Nair (which auto-cancels), Fair (with great range and a shorter ending animation when landing) which cannot be punished is Ike spaces right.
I agree on the fact that Luigi should not play defensively, always trying to keep Ike off balance with long strings of attacks. Wouldn't this apply to any opponent though?

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Lets switch to Diddy.

GaW

Snake

I love facing GaWs, but hate it at the same time. Don't get me started on Snake....

CR4SH

Smash Lord
DDD is easy if they don't infinite you. He's big and easy to combo, his aerials are his game, and they're all predictable with more lag than yours. Meh, just downb pop him into the air then chase and ****.

cutter

Smash Champion
DDD is easy if they don't infinite you. He's big and easy to combo, his aerials are his game, and they're all predictable with more lag than yours. Meh, just downb pop him into the air then chase and ****.
This is Brawl, not Melee.

Besides, why are you guys theorycrafting what would happen about "if they don't infinite"? Matchups are supposed to reflect serious competitive play at the highest level. That means all bets are off. If you play as Luigi, Mario, DK, Samus, or Bowser, DDD doesn't have some unspeakable rule so he can't infinite.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:

10:0 DDD autowin.

It's impossible to approach DDD without getting grabbed. Obviously if you get grabbed you lose an entire stock.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
This is Brawl, not Melee.

Besides, why are you guys theorycrafting what would happen about "if they don't infinite"? Matchups are supposed to reflect serious competitive play at the highest level. That means all bets are off. If you play as Luigi, Mario, DK, Samus, or Bowser, DDD doesn't have some unspeakable rule so he can't infinite.
Wrong-O. This is a discussion to help the luigis here that might read it in matchups they might see, say at local or nearby tournaments. We know that DDD has an infinite, but not every DDD knows how to do it.

Matchups of "serious play at the highest level" aren't the focus here dude. Not that they don't matter, but they don't really help most of the people here.

Magus420

Smash Master
I've said this before, and I'll say it again:

10:0 DDD autowin.

It's impossible to approach DDD without getting grabbed. Obviously if you get grabbed you lose an entire stock.
Have you actually been infinited from low damage to death as Luigi? Because that isn't really how it works. If you make no effort to mash out and prevent them from doing grab hits to keep it going after the 4th-5th throw when it becomes too stale for a regrab and lose a whole stock because of it then that's your own fault.

DK loses whole stocks if grabbed because his is a grabhit-less infinite, and Bowser also can because of the walk step chaingrab on him. The others that require grabhits to maintain the standing 'infinite' shouldn't be working until grabbed with reasonably high damage.

The Grinch

Smash Journeyman
Wrong-O. This is a discussion to help the luigis here that might read it in matchups they might see, say at local or nearby tournaments. We know that DDD has an infinite, but not every DDD knows how to do it.

Matchups of "serious play at the highest level" aren't the focus here dude. Not that they don't matter, but they don't really help most of the people here.
I have to disagree with your second point, cr4sh.

I honestly believe that if you're spending time on Smashboards to learn match ups and strategies, that you're more than just a casual Brawler/fighter. Sure, maybe not all DDD's know how to chain grab and infinite grab (lolz) but if you're going to tournaments, EVENTUALLY you'll run into a player that has reached a point that you simply do not know how to counter without some help.

So to me it makes much more sense to have match up discussions about HIGH caliber tournament play, and should be the focus.

It's like teaching someone to drive, and then when they come to a spot where they have to parallel park, you say, "Well, I never taught you that because I figured you weren't that serious of a driver." Stupid example probably, but my point is that if you're even slightly interested in becoming a better player, you will eventually learn all the tournament caliber tricks, and NEED to know your enemy's tournament caliber tricks, and how to counter them just as well.

But yeah rock on cr4sh =]

~The Greench

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Triple D is a problem for Weegee. Your best bet would be to stay out of grab range and use Fireballs and SH Aerials. If you get infinited, you're royally screwed.

nash123

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this is known or if it's even helpful but when D3 tries to Dthrow->Ftilt you, you can jab and it just cancels the Ftilt.

EDIT:Also firepunch kills D3 71% minimum, tested with DI downwards and to the sides at the middle of Final Destination.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I always approach with down-b against DDD because like cr4sh said, get them in the air and fight em' there. But I have a question, I was playing DDD and he was trying to infinite me, after his first d-throw, I held right on the control stick to slide away and he couldn't grab me... I'm wondering was it my skill of getting way with DI or was it DDD's mistake. (I'm guessing it was D3's mistake, if so, how can I punish effectively?

Never mind, his mistake.

iRJi

Smash Champion
To the infinite comments made above, Although theory crafting isn't really viable, it depends on where you go. Some places ban standing infinites on characters. So the match is really decided off of the rules of the tournament. If the infinite is allowed its in D3's favor, If the infinite isn't allowed its in Luigi's favor.

Ill post a video soon for the match ups where he infinite is banned if it helps, I play a lot of competitive players, from M2K to Adomsk, on a normal basis.

Best of luck on the matchup =D

PS: Don't flame because no one sees me on the Boards and say stuff like " Where did you come from??" or " Who are you" and **** like that. But since i have been getting a lot of PMs to show up on the site more i have been popping around. Ill pos't a video when I get the chance.

<3 to all the luigi mains.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
for king d3, i am not sure if i imputed yet

learn to space......incredibly well
down throw, up tilt combos, f-tilt

do not go for as many up b's, it doesn't help as much and leaves you way too vulnerable

The main problem i see is the infinite, if you can learn to avoid the infinite, the matchup is fine.

crewster

Smash Lord
In the thread put a list of:
1) characters who luigi do well against
2) characters who luigi do OK against (Neutral)
3) caracters luigi does bad against
4) characters not yet ranked.
Transformations would be separate.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
ROB is tough if you are too far away, the only advice I can give is stay close, at least that is what I do... Because he can really pick you off with lasers and do that spinning attack which cancels tornado, it is rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom