• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Luigi Q&A Thread (CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A THREAD PLEASE)

VEC

Smash Journeyman
Hey I used to main and still makl Luigi. I'm still amazing, I used to compete in tournaments all over. Luigi seems nerfed from brawl. How do you guys usually start combos and kill, my main problem now is KILLING, especially characters like captain falcon

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Hey I used to main and still makl Luigi. I'm still amazing, I used to compete in tournaments all over. Luigi seems nerfed from brawl. How do you guys usually start combos and kill, my main problem now is KILLING, especially characters like captain falcon
I wouldn't say nerfed because his combos and fireballs got extremely buffed, that alone escalates him up. His recovery and kill power was though. Combos start with the almighty D throw, you can do anything from it basically, 2 fairs gives 30% off one grab minimum. As for killing, try bair, u or f smash, uppercut, or dair spike, or a B throw at the very edge of the stage.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
killing: dthrow bair, dthrow FJP, DSmash, Bthrow are my most common kills and set ups (if you wanna swag on someone you can taunt in Cyclone at any % even to %s it kills at)
Combo starters: Fair, Dthrow, Weak nair are my most common combo starters (Utilt I think is also a good option, but I haven't worked it into my game yet)

Hard to say weaker or stronger in this game, Brawl was a different beast

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
First time ever he is a top 10 in Smash. He was 1000 times buffed from Brawl.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'd have to say the patch helped him immensely tough by removing vectoring for better combos/kill power, huge fair hitbox, f smash increase power, and increased SJP hitbox. Before that, I would argie if Brawl Luigi was better or not. [Brawl Luigi is heavily underrated actually and only suffered from 3-4 horrible matchups, but that's another story...]

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Any tips on the execution of a jab->grab? Often times I try to delay for the grab and Jab3 still comes out. Sometimes it works but the timing never seems quite consistent. Should I just try to jab once? Or should do a jab1, jab2->grab?

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Any tips on the execution of a jab->grab? Often times I try to delay for the grab and Jab3 still comes out. Sometimes it works but the timing never seems quite consistent. Should I just try to jab once? Or should do a jab1, jab2->grab?
I don't know anything about Luigi's jab resets, you could try crouching after jab to get an idea on timing

Soupy

Sage of Wind
The hit stun from his jab is kind of...not the best in the world. They can hit you practically immediately after. What I try to do is jab and then step forward and grab. If you space it well, it works out but it's kind of hard.

hiramsthoughts

Smash Apprentice
I have a question, how the **** does Boss' Luigi go so high with Cyclone without the secoond jump? Is it merely mashing? When I do it on trianing at half speed I can do it but it seems just not possible at regular speed. Does he map two buttons to special and mash both of them at the same time?

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I have a question, how the **** does Boss' Luigi go so high with Cyclone without the secoond jump? Is it merely mashing? When I do it on trianing at half speed I can do it but it seems just not possible at regular speed. Does he map two buttons to special and mash both of them at the same time?
well you should ask him yourself, but keep in mind it's something like 13 button mashes a second

Soupy

Sage of Wind
I'm pretty sure he just mashes B a TON. It's possible. Just very, very hard. I can't manage to do more than float for a few seconds when I do it, much less get vertical momentum.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Ok here's my technique for Jumpless Cyclone! I simply map the Y button to special and use my index and middle fingers to alternately press the button. The only drawback to this is the fact that you have to adjust your hand whenever you need to mash. Also, for me at least, this is much harder to do when your hands are cold so try to keep them warm before playing. I can't mash that fast and this method works great for me. I can do the Jumpless Cyclone about 95% of the time. Some practice with this and it should come easy

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Does setting multiple buttons to special increase the inputs for cyclone or does it only read one button at a time

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Jumpless cyclone isn't that hard for me, what I do to perform it on the 3DS is rub the B button with the index finger back and forth quickly. It takes a while to get used to but once you do it enough it kind of becomes a muscle memory and you will be able to do it any time you need to for getting back onto the stage.

Does setting multiple buttons to special increase the inputs for cyclone or does it only read one button at a time
I think it only reads one at a time, since I've seen other people trying it and not getting the results they wished for.

Last edited:

nyanturtwig

Smash Cadet
NNID
nyanturtwig
3DS FC
0490-4718-5860
What do you guys think would be better to train myself against, a Level 9 CPU Luigi or my Luigi amiibo? I would play against friends irl but don't get together constantly and when we do we mostly play random characters for fun.

Also any tips on how to land Luigi's D-Air easier?

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
What do you guys think would be better to train myself against, a Level 9 CPU Luigi or my Luigi amiibo? I would play against friends irl but don't get together constantly and when we do we mostly play random characters for fun.

If playing online isn't option then I would say the Luigi amiibo is the better route. It will adapt to your playstyle and force you to mix up your game. They get stronger as they lvl up so that could teach you to play safely at earlier percents instead of rushing in until you die. I've never actually used an amiibo to train so I'm not sure of the value.

I'm assuming you mean the spike of Luigi's dair? I've found it's easiest to land if you hit them at Luigi's ankles. But ultimately I believe it spikes if you hit them during the first couple frames of the attack.

nyanturtwig

Smash Cadet
NNID
nyanturtwig
3DS FC
0490-4718-5860
If playing online isn't option
I can play online, I just don't think it's the best environment to practice sometimes, what with some spam characters and the occasional players that just destroy me.

I've found it's easiest to land if you hit them at Luigi's ankles. But ultimately I believe it spikes if you hit them during the first couple frames of the attack.
Thanks for the advice, it really does feel like you need to be precise with that move.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
While For Glory is not great, it's definitely better than playing against a computer controlled character. So I would recommend that over amiibo. Human characters will change styles on the fly and each human character will play differently. Yes you'll have occasional bad opponents but it's a small price for the wealth of MU and playstyles you'll get. If you're worried about match quality then challenge ppl here on Smashboards or check Anther's Ladder. People on there are generally serious

Soupy

Sage of Wind
The hit box is actually more towards his knee to hip area. Just practice dthrow -> dair spike in 1/4 on practice mode. You'll get it down eventually. It's just about repetition.

Anyone have any good luigi combos?
You're asking a big question, man haha. Any percentages in particular you looking at?
I've been messing around with dthrow -> x2 fair -> fast fall nair -> x4-5 up tilts -> up smash -> up air on heavy characters at 0-10% today.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
which %? i have been getting killed by that after 100% with sonic
That's usually around the kill range, however, it might be possible around 75-90% off of a low ceiling like battlefield or halberd. Especially if the particular Luigi mashes his 'nado pretty high after catching you.

However, I don't think it's possible to DI out of it once you're caught in a certain part of it. I think I saw something recently about how if you catch them going up and then float horizontally while mashing, it's pretty much a guaranteed catch. Someone correct me on this if Im wrong, though

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
The best way IMO is to DI up and try to airdodge immediately or jump away. You could also try to DI away but I think Cyclone is pretty tough to get away from. I think the biggest factor is execution on the Luigi's part. Will he predict the wrong DI? Will he mash too much and let you fall out? Will he short hop the Cyclone and not go as high?

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
You can't DI out of the cyclone, it's impossible. If your percentage is high enough however, you could DI away from the throw, but it won't help you much.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Yeah I meant to say DI the Dthrow. Once you're in the Cyclone it's up to the Luigi user as to what happens to you.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
You can't DI out of the cyclone, it's impossible. If your percentage is high enough however, you could DI away from the throw, but it won't help you much.

All fast fallers can SDi out of the cyclone regardless if you mash or not.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Daaaaang, I remember you from when I first started coming up. Got some 2008 Brawl up in hurrrrrr

Frotte

Smash Rookie
Hey! new user here. I've been maining luigi from the 3ds launch and I have a good grasp of the character. However, I have a lot of problems with projectile users, namely (toon) link and megaman. I feel that luigi just doesn't have a lot of approach options against a good player who keeps up a wall of projectiles. Once I'm in, its combo city as usual for luigi but its very difficult getting there. What strategies do you use to get around a barrage of projectiles?

Also, I'm looking for a secondary that compliments luigi and covers this weakness against projectiles but I've been having trouble finding one. What do you guys think works for this scenario?

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Hey! new user here. I've been maining luigi from the 3ds launch and I have a good grasp of the character. However, I have a lot of problems with projectile users, namely (toon) link and megaman. I feel that luigi just doesn't have a lot of approach options against a good player who keeps up a wall of projectiles. Once I'm in, its combo city as usual for luigi but its very difficult getting there. What strategies do you use to get around a barrage of projectiles?

Also, I'm looking for a secondary that compliments luigi and covers this weakness against projectiles but I've been having trouble finding one. What do you guys think works for this scenario?
Toon Link and Megaman are some of his harder matchups, tornado and lots of fireballs are key here. As for a good secondary, I personally use ROB who works well for those matchups above...not much help for Villager though. Mario is pretty decent for a secondary too like villager due to his cape.

Frotte

Smash Rookie
Toon Link and Megaman are some of his harder matchups, tornado and lots of fireballs are key here. As for a good secondary, I personally use ROB who works well for those matchups above...not much help for Villager though. Mario is pretty decent for a secondary too like villager due to his cape.
I figured Mario had a similar playstyle to luigi but hadn't really thought about the cape too much. Shouldn't be too hard to pick up. I'll give it a shot.

One thing I'm not so great at is tornado's. I use them as kill moves after downthrow or as a mix up when approaching in the air to get a rising tornado kill off the top. How should I use it to get around projectiles? I find it gets shielded and punished quite often.

SirPro

Smash Rookie
This might be the wrong area to do it but is there anyone that would like to do Luigi dittos with me? I'm always trying to get better and I'm sure everyone else in here is too!

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I figured Mario had a similar playstyle to luigi but hadn't really thought about the cape too much. Shouldn't be too hard to pick up. I'll give it a shot.

One thing I'm not so great at is tornado's. I use them as kill moves after downthrow or as a mix up when approaching in the air to get a rising tornado kill off the top. How should I use it to get around projectiles? I find it gets shielded and punished quite often.
Keep using it as a kill move, from a D throw it's his best option on everything asides fast fallers. I like using it to approach from the ledge or medium distance. Using it really far away gives the opponent lots of time to react. Stopping right in front of your opponent spells doom...Luigi really struggles at approaching so try baiting opponents to ome closer, they will most likely have to for securing the kill with a smash.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
What determines when someone flies out of your Cyclone the first hit and what keeps them in? I get punished kinda often when using it in neutral because they fly out then hit me in lag. What I've seemed to notice is when the opponent is standing on the ground and you Cyclone from the ground, they fly out. If you Cyclone from the air or catch them with their feet off the ground they remain stuck. Does this seem right to you guys?

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
What determines when someone flies out of your Cyclone the first hit and what keeps them in? I get punished kinda often when using it in neutral because they fly out then hit me in lag. What I've seemed to notice is when the opponent is standing on the ground and you Cyclone from the ground, they fly out. If you Cyclone from the air or catch them with their feet off the ground they remain stuck. Does this seem right to you guys?
Yeah that usually happens when I'm approaching with it at full speed. I don't really know why it does but usually if I want to approach someone I just mash a little bit to gain a little air; that way they will stay in the tornado and even if they shield it they won't be able to grab me since I'm still in the air.

EDIT: I just tested this and it seems to happen only if you hit them with the second to last hit of the tornado (which should be the 4th). I'm guessing at this point since Luigi has a small delay before the last hit (when he pulls his hands in) at that point the opopponent doesn't get sucked in the tornado, resulting in him just getting pushed out of it. I guess this could also explain why you can sometimes SDI out of the tornado.

Last edited:

xPrimus45x

Smash Rookie
NNID
None
He is still floaty and with his dumb jump animation it is hard to short hop bair without making it look obvious. You have to dair then bair to hit with the bair. It is so dumb because I miss a whole bunch of bairs because of the flutter jump he has.

As for his main kills moves in my opinion they are bair offstage, upsmash, and if you manage to get it fsmash. The problem is that fsmash has been nerfed so it barely kills and jab up b setups are hard to get now.

Has anyone found a good way to set up up b?
The best way is honestly just to wait for the opponent to land after their Up B to pull it off, other wise not much else you can do. The best you can get is probably a double jab beforehand, and that doesn't work well.

Top Bottom