• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Social Thread

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Who's Up-smash are you talking about anyway cr4sh?

Because if you're talking about Luigi's Up-smash, I'm pretty sure the only difference is the angle at which it sends your opponent. The actual launch distance however I'm betting is the same.

Mario's U-smash I'm pretty confident I tested a lot, and I've never noticed any change in KO%.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Fair enough, ALiAs, they didn't chase me. Wouldn't what order I did things be more important if they had chased me. Doesn't the fact that Marth is better off staying at the ledge than chasing Luigi for a low percentage WoP or gimp KO say something about Luigi's superior off-stage recovery to that of Marth's off-stage gimping efforts?

So, OK, here's a Marth match I recorded. He even both chases me off stage and also waits for me on the edge. That should hopefully satisfy you.

I'm saying it isn't predictable because he can do so many things in the air. I'm not saying it isn't gimpable. I'm also not saying that Luigi has tons of options when grabbing on the ledge, especially against Marth. I am saying that off-stage with Marth (and many ofther fast-fallers), Luigi is more likely to survive.

EDIT:
From testing, I believe Mario and Luigi actually slide further from doing a DAC and charging Up-smash than they do just running and charging Up-smash.
Actually, I wasn't able to notice a difference. Luigi's DACUS might have a tad more distance than his Hyphen Smash, but if so, then only by a negligible amount. Then add the risk of accidently ending up with a dash attack if you mis-input the DACUS (which wouldn't be so bad if Luigi's dash attack wasn't so horrible), and you end up with the concusion that the Hyphen Smash is better for Luigi than the DACUS. Luigi's bad traction and bad dash attack results in being the inverse of other characters (who's DACUS are better than they're Hyphen Smashes).

Or perhaps I'm just saying this because I suck at performing DACUS. <_<
And I agree that Luigi's uSmash doesn't have a "sweetspot" like his dAir, and that it's a direction change that we see. Generally speaking, most characters in Brawl have "sweetframes" instead of sweetspots, where the timing is more important than the positioning.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, the benefits of DACing with Luigi are very small I'll admit. I'm just saying I did actually test this stuff on the Mario Bros a long time ago.

If I ever managed to learn a way to test for frame data, I would be awesome lol.

By the way, no offense, but that Marth was terrible. I bet it was wifi lag. Marth is HORRIBLE on wifi lag.

Anyhow lots of really dumb spacing mistakes, not properly reacting to extremely predictable moves that you did, yeah sorry, that match wasn't a very good example of what a Marth can do...even if you didn't get gimped, you probably should have been taking a lot more damage during recovery due to repeated punishment.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Yeah A2Z is right, luigi's DACUS does go further, I actually tested it on my own today.

And his fricking pivot grab is ******** good, I never noticed it before............ It goes as far as a fricking hyphen smash, its almost unpunishable...

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
None taken A2Z. That guy wasn't great or anything, but it served to show what I was talking about recoveries all the same. If it was a really good Marth I would have lost (especially considering I had just changed controller and was having trouble shorthopping).

chic

Smash Ace
i suffer from predictable ff nair syndrome. ive become so obvious and have been getting shield grabbed so much from it! how can i break this bad habit and trick people not to shield the nair? maybe an empty jump here or there? (besides waiting for the shield to be low enough to poke through)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
i suffer from predictable ff nair syndrome. ive become so obvious and have been getting shield grabbed so much from it! how can i break this bad habit and trick people not to shield the nair? maybe an empty jump here or there? (besides waiting for the shield to be low enough to poke through)
FFN-air is good on tether grabbers if you space it right. You can Jab them before they can shieldgrab. This is especially **** on Olimar of course.

And probably the simple solution to your other problem is to cross your opponent up and land behind them, and then start Jabbing them lol.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
anyone else here try Luigi's tap a (first hit) to down air at high percentages

I like Luigi's tap a so much in combo

edit....lol topic title....blame neoseeker :p

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
The nAir FF (not the FF nAir) is what I call the Sex Bomb. You can Sex Bomb a dAir nAir shorthop aerial string, which used to be the staple of Luigi's older metagame. You can also Cyclone stall to Sex Bomb. The nAir, as you all should know, is called a "Sex Kick".

Sex Bomb, the move so good, Tom Jones made a song about it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
anyone else here try Luigi's tap a (first hit) to down air at high percentages

I like Luigi's tap a so much in combo

edit....lol topic title....blame neoseeker :p
Usually I like doing Jab -> B-air or Jab -> F-smash if I think they aren't going to block.

I only do D-air -> N-air if the D-air actually lands at low percents (does like 26%). Otherwise I usually airdodge, double D-air, or Cyclone.

My entire strategy is bait the **** out of them by randomly D-airing and doing stuff out of it. Just don't do it against a good Samus and you'll be fine lmao.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This is something I haven't yet trained myself to do with Luigi, so there is another thing I'd like you guys to help me with. I'd like to discuss what is best as a damage dealer and what is best as a KO move.

Luigi's best KO move hands down is Up-B, but a good opponent will make it very difficult for you to get in range once they're in KO zone range (if they haven't already started playing conservatively). Jab UpB is great on those who can't block it, although the spacing can be tricky. Anyhow against opponents who I can't land Up-Bs on, matchups become significantly harder. This is why I need help learning alternate ways to kill reliably.

Obviously the other great KO move is F-smash, but landing that is in many ways even harder than landing Up-B.

Luigi has quite a few moves that can KO at high percents, but all of them are also good damage dealers in specific situations (note that I said "specific situations"). What do you guys think is Luigi's best move to save for consistent KOs? I find this a difficult question for myself to answer since it's hard to land things out of shield with Luigi (bear with me. I'm a Mario main still), although I am leaning towards B-throw. B-throw reliably KOs most characters at 140%, which is EXCELLENT for a throw, and throws have the obvious advantage of never going stale unless you want them to.

And U-smash deserves a mention. This is probably Luigi's overall most useful move with the exception of something like Jab, Tornado, or N-air/D-air. It has a great hitbox, and does great damage and knockback. Luigi's low traction allows this move to punish landings very effectively, however it's harder to punish out of shield with it. I punish landings so much with this attack it tends to be stale by the time I try to KO with it. Anything I can to to change my strategy?

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
The up-angled fSmash is a better KO option than the FJP. They both KO early, have about the same range, but the fSmash leaves you less vulnerable and can be spammed. During friendlies, recognize when the opponent is at KO percentage and then begin to spam the fSmash. I mean, spam HARD. This will open your eyes to when you should and should not fSmash, and you'll get better at knowing when to use it and how.

My personal favorite KO is the Hyphen Smash. I generally catch people off guard as they try to spot-dodge by instinct while I'm still charging. But since I overuse it, it becomes stale for me quickly (not to mention, predictable).

After 140%, you get bAir(sweet)/nAir(sweet)/dSmash/bThrow as viable KO moves. Over 170% and you get uTilt and fThrow too... but you shouldn't let them live that long. There's always that 1/8 chance of a missfire too. And never forget you can get early KOs by gimping and WoPs... so chase chase chase until you become a beast at gimping and WoPs. I mean in friendlies, chase even if you know it's too risky... even if only to get better at it.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I never kill with bair
It's such a good spacing/setup tool, I spam it and it's never EVER fresh with me XD

there are evn times where I SH bair instead of ^fsmash in my back because of weird reflexe stuff .__.

My main killmove is usmash too. And jab, of course.

gogs

Smash Rookie
I never kill with the bthrow lolz it's clearly impossible under 150% or more on heavy chars >_>

I love fsmash angled too (after 3 jab cancel <3<3) and luigi's edgeguardz still good with fireballz or quick fair =) (maybe mindgame with the tornado too, but that hard and risky if your opponent touch you)

And lol...This message is my first on SWF =D
I'm a crazy (wa)luigi mainer (french) but i suck lol
Hope this board gonna help me to improve my WEEGEE ;) and sry for my french english lol

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Don't worry about killing. Your mother ****in WEEGEE!!
Seriously, just space. That's what ADHD did, he spaced and gimped. If you can get the kill move, that's great, but its always better to space, hit them, and not get hit.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Fair enough, ALiAs, they didn't chase me. Wouldn't what order I did things be more important if they had chased me. Doesn't the fact that Marth is better off staying at the ledge than chasing Luigi for a low percentage WoP or gimp KO say something about Luigi's superior off-stage recovery to that of Marth's off-stage gimping efforts?

So, OK, here's a Marth match I recorded. He even both chases me off stage and also waits for me on the edge. That should hopefully satisfy you.

I'm saying it isn't predictable because he can do so many things in the air. I'm not saying it isn't gimpable. I'm also not saying that Luigi has tons of options when grabbing on the ledge, especially against Marth. I am saying that off-stage with Marth (and many ofther fast-fallers), Luigi is more likely to survive.
You're contradicting yourself. Are you placing Marth's desire to stay on stage to Luigi's recovery or his fast - falling nature? The latter seems to fly more, considering the fact that Marth rarely is in a better position off the stage than ledge guarding. Either way, I think you're reiterating a point I've already deemed moot.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Don't worry about killing. Your mother ****in WEEGEE!!
Seriously, just space. That's what ADHD did, he spaced and gimped. If you can get the kill move, that's great, but its always better to space, hit them, and not get hit.
Yeah, how about I put it this way. I'm kinda getting tired of my friend's Samus consistently living to 170% no matter how many times I b-air/u-smash. Oh right, and I can never gimp her. =(

Oh and someone mentioned U-tilt. Lol I just remembered. It KOs at like 130% fresh.

yoshq

Smash Master
This is probably Luigi's overall most useful move with the exception of something like Jab, Tornado, or N-air/D-air.
I think this needs to be addressed, what is with every luigi except for one that I've fought doing dair nair like 5 times in a row. Are you all copying boss or something? It's not even that good.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think this needs to be addressed, what is with every luigi except for one that I've fought doing dair nair like 5 times in a row. Are you all copying boss or something? It's not even that good.
Yeah...In case you didn't know, I am in fact copying Boss (and failing miserably at it lmao). I D-air camp like a ***** until they fall for my baiting. I don't actually do D-air -> N-air that much unless the D-air actually hits at low percents.

D-air is really useful for its full body hitbox and lack of ending lag, and in general makes an awesome bait move due to how many options you can cover out of D-air. Jumping up into someone with D-air is usually **** too since you'll be moving upwards and by the time you're on top of them the startup of the attack will be over. It's pretty awesome for edgeguarding that way and reminds me of how Mario can jump into someone with F-air and easily spike them.

N-air is useful since it lingers for a long time which in general can break the flow of your opponent very easily, and it does other useful things like beating Din's Fire, starting combos, and a few other things I don't remember right now.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Jab -> slight delay -> Utilt is really good too if you can read the person fairly well.

And YoshQ he meant that Dair and Nair were really good, not that Dair -> Nair is good.

Also another random tidbit, I'm starting to abuse fireball and Fair a little more for spacing now. Kinda good.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I consider Luigi recovered as soon as he touches the stage; whereas, you consider Luigi recovered only after he has regained a neutral positioning on the stage. This is a fundamental difference.

Here's how it went ALiAs: zhao said, among many things, "Luigi's recovery is predictable." I refuted ONLY that in my post without anything about Marth. Then zhao brings up Marth gimping Luigi as support that Luigi's recovery is predictable, and in the same post says he hardly ever gets gimped by anyone except Marth and MK (which I consider contradictory). Then you make a long post where you explain your definition of "recovery" and pretty much say that Luigi's recovery is predictable because in the end he can't counter Marth when he's on-stage. I say you guys must not be recovering right, again without mentioning Marth. You ask for videos of me to make the point. I show them. You make an in-depth analysis of (your definition of) my recoveries and then say Marth and DK would have been better examples since they guard the ledge better. I post a video of Marth and say that the fact that Marth will not chase Luigi should make a point that Luigi's recovery (by my definition of recovery) is unpredictable.

There's a good amount of characters that can gimp Luigi's recovery (by my definition, up to when he reaches the stage). Marth is not one of them. Unless I make a mistake, I will touch the stage. And if he chases me off-stage, he's more likely to get KOd.

But for the sake of argument, I'll agree that Marth can easily gimp Luigi's recovery. That Marth is a beast at defeating Luigi's recovery. That against Marth and a few other characters, Luigi's recovery is nearly pointless. Ok... then does using the best gimpers mean that Luigi's recovery is predictable? Isn't that like saying you suck at basketball because you always lose against Kobe Bryant? If someone wanted to make a point about you sucking at basketball, wouldn't it be better to point out how you lose against someone who sucks at it? Luigi's recovery is sucky only if people who suck at gimping can gimp Luigi.

So how about we take Marth out of the equasion? Yes?

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Did you just say Booty Balls?

Marry me plz?
I accept.

As for kills. First the upb. Most people who have any luigi exp and have the ability to block the shoryu won't ever get hit with it. Two great ways to land it are punishing a dodge, and catching them in the air with a jab. If you're on top of them, and they spot dodge hand them a shoryu. The timing is different for different characters, but its and important thing to know. If they roll at you, do the same thing. But who does that?

Also, if you can manage to jab them in the air, they can't block. Ping!

I'm very in favor of saving utilt for kills when you're not locking with it. Once you get your goofy damage after punishing a poorly spaced move or jump, just leave it alone. There are very few places an utilt is better than a jab or usmash. Once they hit a 132 mario equivalent (155ish for snake, etc) you can actively look for an opening for utilt. It's so freaking fast. Mini DDD.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
You guys suck and your silly wall of texts. Lol. So lazy to read all of them. Read and skimmed a few abit of pages discussing our kill moves... it should be taken over to Zhao's thread.

You know what's ****ing stupid? People say I have a great Luigi, I usually deny them mostly because, l play wifi, l HAVE NO WHERE NEAR the tourney results to prove I'm good but yet I want to prove it out there. Sometimes l make the dumbest *** mistakes ever, like doing a forced stage return on a Lucario so he obviously lags, and it's clean for a kill move, instead my ******* head thinks l should do a upb just to make him look dumb but l miss it WTF!.

So like I'm still really crying about my last tourney getting last place (no johns this time, results please -_-) and getting knocked out by 2 lucarios, only losing with all luigi in winners and all marth in losers. **** is so dumb. l mean, l promised myself l'd go Mario, but l place WAYY TOO MUCH DOUBT IN HIM and he has had some amazing things but l dont use him often, I don't really know what to do at this point. Tourneys cost so much cash too -_-

But I had gotten Jash's advice (best TL out there) watching him in his matchs got me really motivated. So l wanted to test Jash's advice on aib ladder wifi with Marth and it actually worked and got me 30th place on ladder although ladder is JOKE, and its WIFI lol.. so.. but l want to test it on offline so ehh.. right now.. l think l should just main mario, and some marth and only keep luigi in counter of diddys, olimars, luigis, sometimes warios, fox and other ****ty matchups. But idk.

I'm just ranting -_-

Top Bottom