• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Social Thread

CR4SH

Smash Lord
It always has been, he outranges everything on the ground with dsmash and all his aerials autopunish dodges. Not to mention the projectile gimps.

Luigi has stuff on rob too. It's not terrible, but its not good.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Personally I'd rather go G&W against ROB.

ROB is so tiring to play against with the Mario bros.

He's really easy to Jab cancel though with both Mario and Luigi.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I find Luigi vs rob sorta easy, dunno why. It's easier with Mario, but it's still easy with Luigi :p.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
ROB is easy once you land a hit. Landing the first hit however is one of the hardest things ever, and if you're offstage at a high percent and ROB's N-air is fresh, you're near-guaranteed to die regardless what you do or which character you are. All he has to do from this position is bait anything, and hit the A button.

You can combo him to death and kill him a lot earlier than he can kill you in general, but ROB is reeeeealy good at doing stuff reliably. Which really annoys me when I actually have to play against him.

Acedude55

Smash Ace
I wasn't there. T.T

But I was watching the stream and alot of people actually thought it was you lol

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Nair is easy. If you're afraid of the nair, go for the jugular. Just get really close to him and he can't do ****. If you're side by side in the air, all you have to do is wait for him to start an aerial and hit him through it. Or just hit him lol. Just don't airdodge, for ****'s sake don't airdodge.

Edit. Fair hurts.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
and if you're offstage at a high percent and ROB's N-air is fresh, you're near-guaranteed to die regardless what you do or which character you are.
when your in these positions you should remember what character your maining, luigi is amazingly random and unpredictable, so if you have no other options why not side B and hope for the misfire? I swear everytime I want a misfire I get one.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
when your in these positions you should remember what character your maining, luigi is amazingly random and unpredictable, so if you have no other options why not side B and hope for the misfire? I swear everytime I want a misfire I get one.
Unfortunately, this isn't Melee where the misfire sends you flying at the speed of sound. And if you don't get a random misfire, of course you're still screwed.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
if your screwed either way why not go for it, besides it may not be as hectic as the melee misfire but its probably still too fast for a rob to react to if you space it right, and then the rob is probably going to die instead of you, and then your going to lol.

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman
[...] ROB is so tiring to play against with the Mario bros.

He's really easy to Jab cancel though with both Mario and Luigi.

THIS.

Being a part of the Montreal Smash community, I hang out with HolyNightmare regularly, although I only play against his ROB in Brawl+.

ROB is a ******.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
ROB: Here's a few tips

Don't be far away from ROB. Always try to stay as close to him as possible, for when your away from him, he can charge his projectiles and successfully camp you, and a gyro can hit your rising cyclone while recovering and potentually gimp you. When he's charging projectiles, try to get at him with a cyclone before there fully charged, cyclone is a very useful tool in this matchup.

Close up, ROB's most prominant GTFO move will most likely be D smash, beware if your floating above him U smash is fairly easy to land on Luigi. When ROB is in the air, pound on him on mostly the bottom of him because that's a pretty large blindspot. If you time your aerials well enough the dair might not hit you, the nair is trickier to avoid with timed aerials but still possible. Shoryuken is also fairly easy to land on him. I'm pretty sure that ROB and Luigi's range are fairly similar asides from projectiles from ROB, with ROB having just a little overall range. Gimping ROB's recovery is as you know, retartedly tough.

This matchup, I would give 55-45 Luigi. Not exactly tough, but one that you should briefly study up on or else become wreaked by projectiles, the main havoc of the match :p

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Good ROBs will grab more than they D-smash, and that is a ***** to work around. His grab range is ****ing huge.

His F-air and F-tilt are stupidly hard attacks to work around too, as his F-tilt outranges Metaknight's slightly, his F-air lingers, and his B-air is a safe retreat option. His D-tilt is also safe on block, and does a good job of stopping Tornado attempts, and his F-smash is a safe move that is able to very effectively stop Luigi from approaching from his preferred angles..

If he doesn't get predictable, and if he's on various counterpick stages, it's a very difficult matchup. Of course, it's winnable since he gets comboed and juggle ***** really easily and because he isn't massively disjointed on every attack (although his range is still ridiculously huge).

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Crossups are better way to avoid his grab. You just have to notice when their grab is working on you, then you cycle through your options, cross ups like fair crossup bair is nice.

the matchup reminds me of marth since obviously he'll space the crap outta you, and once your inside, your dealing 40%+ . I like using nair since most bad robs lol, will do shield to spotdodge.

idk which is better though, walking or running to rob.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
N-air is good if he shields because ROB's shield is garbage. If he's smart however, he will know when to U-tilt to anti-air.

Lew

Smash Cadet
Just to refresh up on this cause i know its been discussed before but what are some all around viable approaching options with luigi that are safe or better than other i guess? (Not asking for any match up specific options either lol)

MissionxStar

Smash Rookie
I have a friend who mains R.O.B. I've played it many times (Only once with WeeGee) Now...it's obvious that under him is a huge blindspot. I used a lot of fireballs to approach (and in some cases runaway). He'd usually shield them but then that left him open to some free juggling with U-tilts. Basically, after three U-tilts, if the R.O.B.'s never faced a weegee you can follow thos tilts to any aerial. That's about all I know so far....

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
double post sorry

anyone know how to beat Falco? If you could explain it in 2-3 sentences that would be so gold.

EDIT: I actually do know what I'm talking about, YoshQ isn't comparable to bossss or biglooou

Top Bottom