• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lunar Lab, a place to share your creativity

howard526

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I’m a Rosalina main from NE who goes by H3. Over the last few months I’ve fell into a bit of a slump, where I felt like I wasn’t going get any better with Rosalina because I didn’t know how to improve. I felt like I had a style down and the only way up was to improve my fundamentals, as opposed to my character. But recently I decided to hit the lab, and I honestly rediscovered why I picked up this character on day one. I was reminded of the fact that Rosalina and Luma allows for an incredible amount of creativity. And I think we could all benefit from flexing our creative minds.

The purpose of this thread is to share everything we can find in the lab with Rosalina. Because of all of her advanced tech, she is an incredibly complex character who is capable of creative options no other character has, and yet over the past few months this character board has seemed pretty quiet. Which is strange because I rarely see two similar Rosalina styles. So let’s share what we know. This thread is less about new AT, and more about putting what we know into useful strings. Approach options, kill setups, ledge traps, and desync combos are all in the realm of this thread. Below are a few things I’ve found in the last couple of days. A few are more common knowledge, but others aren’t. Plus I have a new piece of tech I haven’t seen posted before.

Let’s begin with the tech.

By performing a RAR up air you can hold Luma behind you as you move backward in the air. As long as you keep using up air Luma will stay behind you. This doesn’t work with RAR down air or RAR empty hopping into a lunar landing.

The immediate use of this tech might not seem obvious. However if you follow up your RAR up air with a lunar landing, Luma will be farther behind you than normal. This means that your nair and bair lunar landings will be shifted backwards, allowing for long distance spacing. But what’s long distance? Below are the results of combining a RAR up air with a roll boosted lunar landing.

The Double Roll Boost

Even without the roll boost, this tech is a large improvement over spacing a simple lunar landed nair or bair.

Next are two simple kill setups.

Next is a cool way to shark a platform that probably isn’t that useful.

And finally a simple desync combo.

As people share their findings I will update this post with anything I think is useful.

From Royug

Last edited:

SubconsciousRose

Smash Cadet
Ah woah a lot of this is awesome

You share similar reasons as I do in playing Rosalina in that I find a lot of her fun stemming from the completely unique Luma options so it's nice having people like you out there! I've been aware of some things listed here like LL fair/bair as kill confirms.
And I knew about weird Luma movement with RAR moves but never thought of RAR Uair as an option combined with lunar landing as listed here. That seems super interesting and I need to play around with that now.

Nice finds!

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Yes, yes and yes. I've notice these boards are a little slim. I, too, have fallen into a rut with her. I need to go back to the lab and relearn what makes her so good!

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Lunar landed Nair+shield as a landing option.

Essentially, if they try to cover your landing with an attack, you'll block and can punish.
If they try to grab, they'll get hit by Luma's Nair.
If they run up and shield, they'll get their shield hit by Luma Nair and you'll have a frame advantage to grab (haven't actually tested it but I think it should work as a frame trap).
If they roll behind you, the second hit of Luma Nair will hit them (which you could combo into JC U-smash.)
If they spot dodge Luma's Nair, you grab them.

You could cover so many landing punishes with LL Nair+shield. It's incredibly useful, but some characters may not be affected by this (Like if ZSS goes for a grab, she'll be out of range of Luma's attack and you'll get grabbed). For the most part though, it's a pretty effective trick.

Royug

Smash Cadet
Here's something I've been experimenting with lately : edgeguarding with star bits. It might already be well known, but I don't think I saw anyone use this technique like this before. It could prove useful to edgeguard against an opponent who recovers mid-height and surprise him. What you have to do is SH then quickly Star bits while in the air, then follow with whatever aerial attack. This creates some kind of frame trap situation where the opponent either gets hit by the star bits then by the aerial, or air dodge the star bits but gets hit by the aerial attack right after. It might also work with Luma Shot instead of Star Bits, but I haven't tried that yet.

(Sorry for the crappy quality, I don't have a capture card and apparently replays can't be posted on youtube if they last more than 3 min.)

So from what a tried against CPUs, this works better with B-air or D-air. It also works with N-air but it's harder to do. You can also do it with U-air, but then you have to walk-off from the ledge instead of SH, and it's less guaranteed since, if the opponent air dodge, he's gonna move behind Rosalina and will have more time to react after this before you hit him.

howard526

Smash Rookie
At Royug: Honestly this is pretty interesting but i just don't know when i'd use it. I tried it a bunch in training and a bit in tournament friendlies but it never seemed to work well. Its a good threat to prevent mid height recoveries but i feel like rosa has better options between dair and the lumaspin edge trap. I'll add this to the OP regardless, maybe i'm just not seeing when to use it.

At Planty: Yeah lunar landed anything is really good for landing. The idea of using nair as a frame trap is cool. The only issue with using nair is that you only have 2 frames to do a perfect lunar landing, and without it i doubt you'd have a frame advantage. Just doing a fair or bair might be more reliable. If it's in your power to make a video of it i'd add it to the OP

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
howard526 howard526
Even if you don't get a perfect LL, it's still really good. I've found that it works very often even without a perfect LL. Thge reason you should use Nair is because not only is it much faster than Fair for hitting in front of you, but also because it covers the roll option.

If the opponent is behind you though, LL Bair is definitely better.

Top Bottom