• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

•Col•

Smash Champion
As much as I wanted to see Roy, I'll concede that Robin represents the FE series really well and is a good choice. Seems like his Tomes/Levin sword is even going to show off the weapon durability system of FE..

Anyway, Like Chrono said, he's still in a pretty good spot to be a DLC character and we know that the Smash team is interested in doing DLC.. So for now, I'm happy. :)

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am re-posting this because it was at the bottom of the previous page:

I don't think Roy is going to be in the retail version of Smash 4. However, I still think he has a good shot if DLC happens.

As for Lucina, she looks very "cloney" to the point where people are wondering if she is an alternate costume. It would be weird for Sakurai to add in a Melee-style clone considering how unique all the other newcomers for Smash 4 have been, and how two out of three of the clone newcomers from Brawl (Wolf and Lucas) only shared five moves with their original counterparts.

I feel vindicated in regards to Chrom though (and My Unit/Robin). For the longest time I said that I thought that Chrom and Ike gave off the same feel in terms of characters (especially considering Radiant Dawn Ike was used). I also said that if a newcomer from Awakening were selected, that the My Unit/Robin would be the best way to go for a character that contrasts with Marth and Ike (and Roy).

For us Roy fans, we have the marvelous Project M update to him to satisfy our fiery needs (and we will probably get some cool alternate costumes of him in 4.0). As a veteran, I do think he has a good shot of showing up as DLC, but for now, we have Project M (which I think is going to be a sort of companion title for Smash 4).

We fought long and hard for our boy. I myself fought ever since the the leaked Brawl roster was vindicated back in January 2008. Heck, I was at the forefront of Roy's return during pre-Brawl.

We fought well. And although we did not (although Roy is not de-confirmed, its unlikely he is going to be in at this point) get Roy to return, we still found a way to enjoy Roy alongside the rest of the modern Smash Bros. cast (Project M).

Its kind of ironic how the two main contenders for a third Fire Emblem slot (Roy and Chrom) both got knocked out. However, I think with Roy he potentially could be a DLC down the road, while Chrom is relegated to being part of Robin's Final Smash.

No doubt there will be plenty of Roy haters saying "I told you so", but having any Smash veteran not return (especially a popular one) is not a good feeling. Already things don't look good for Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur (Lucas might actually have a chance now if that Gematsu leaker's information is out of date).

I disproved a lot of things Roy haters have used (namely the reception regarding FE6, and how Roy got to be included in Melee), however, ultimately all my work was for naught, so things are disappointing there.

However, out of all the characters I supported for the pre-Smash 4 period, I probably supported Roy the most (I think the only other character I put some major effort into supporting was Ridley). I did much of the heavy lifting with this fanbase, lifting some inspiring images from the FE6 manga to rally our fanbase. But ultimately, looks like Awakening proved to be too much of a juggernaut for Roy to overcome. Hopefully, the same fate does not befall Mewtwo (and that both him and Jigglypuff make it into the final retail roster).

However, in the end, its not like we lost entirely. As mentioned earlier, we still have the Project M's Roy (and Mewtwo). For many of us, we will never forget all the times we had enjoying the lord with the flaming sword, and continue to enjoy him, regardless of the fact that he won't be in the retail version of Smash 4.

Roy will forever be our Boy!

Thanks for everything everyone. This has been an incredible 6.5 years. Sure things did not end the way I wanted them to, however, things also didn't end up like a defeat either. We got Roy in Project M (and possibly has a future as DLC), and Chrom was not Mr. Inevitable, now was he. :troll: (sorry Chrom supporters)

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I am re-posting this because it was at the bottom of the previous page:

I don't think Roy is going to be in the retail version of Smash 4. However, I still think he has a good shot if DLC happens.

As for Lucina, she looks very "cloney" to the point where people are wondering if she is an alternate costume. It would be weird for Sakurai to add in a Melee-style clone considering how unique all the other newcomers for Smash 4 have been, and how two out of three of the clone newcomers from Brawl (Wolf and Lucas) only shared five moves with their original counterparts.

I feel vindicated in regards to Chrom though (and My Unit/Robin). For the longest time I said that I thought that Chrom and Ike gave off the same feel in terms of characters (especially considering Radiant Dawn Ike was used). I also said that if a newcomer from Awakening were selected, that the My Unit/Robin would be the best way to go for a character that contrasts with Marth and Ike (and Roy).

For us Roy fans, we have the marvelous Project M update to him to satisfy our fiery needs (and we will probably get some cool alternate costumes of him in 4.0). As a veteran, I do think he has a good shot of showing up as DLC, but for now, we have Project M (which I think is going to be a sort of companion title for Smash 4).

We fought long and hard for our boy. I myself fought ever since the the leaked Brawl roster was vindicated back in January 2008. Heck, I was at the forefront of Roy's return during pre-Brawl.

We fought well. And although we did not (although Roy is not de-confirmed, its unlikely he is going to be in at this point) get Roy to return, we still found a way to enjoy Roy alongside the rest of the modern Smash Bros. cast (Project M).

Its kind of ironic how the two main contenders for a third Fire Emblem slot (Roy and Chrom) both got knocked out. However, I think with Roy he potentially could be a DLC down the road, while Chrom is relegated to being part of Robin's Final Smash.

No doubt there will be plenty of Roy haters saying "I told you so", but having any Smash veteran not return (especially a popular one) is not a good feeling. Already things don't look good for Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur (Lucas might actually have a chance now if that Gematsu leaker's information is out of date).

I disproved a lot of things Roy haters have used (namely the reception regarding FE6, and how Roy got to be included in Melee), however, ultimately all my work was for naught, so things are disappointing there.

However, out of all the characters I supported for the pre-Smash 4 period, I probably supported Roy the most (I think the only other character I put some major effort into supporting was Ridley). I did much of the heavy lifting with this fanbase, lifting some inspiring images from the FE6 manga to rally our fanbase. But ultimately, looks like Awakening proved to be too much of a juggernaut for Roy to overcome. Hopefully, the same fate does not befall Mewtwo (and that both him and Jigglypuff make it into the final retail roster).

However, in the end, its not like we lost entirely. As mentioned earlier, we still have the Project M's Roy (and Mewtwo). For many of us, we will never forget all the times we had enjoying the lord with the flaming sword, and continue to enjoy him, regardless of the fact that he won't be in the retail version of Smash 4.

Roy will forever be our Boy!

Thanks for everything everyone. This has been an incredible 6.5 years. Sure things did not end the way I wanted them to, however, things also didn't end up like a defeat either. We got Roy in Project M (and possibly has a future as DLC), and Chrom was not Mr. Inevitable, now was he. :troll: (sorry Chrom supporters)
you know they could of gave him a fencing style of fighting that would of been cool (same could have went for lyn maybe) but they where replaced by a marth wannabe clone well roy you always be my boy :(

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Our boy still has his gimmick everyone.

Prepare for battle!

DLC awaits us!

FOR OUR BOY!

:roymelee::roypm::roymelee:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Seeing Lucina (and Robin) actually gives me more hope in Roy returning. People keep trying to predict how many chars a series will have; most thought FE wouldn't even top three reps in Smash 4. But here come not one but two FE newcomers... and one of them is playing up the Marth clone! The best part, her sword does balanced damage throughout as opposed to Roy's, who does best near the hilt.
Crossing fingers for a revamped Roy. Luigified/Falcofied, that'd be fine by me, so long as he's in and has teh ph1r3.

Speaking of Roy, my sweetheart and I are planning on doing a playthrough of Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi together... This'll be the first FE game we've ever played, and we're both pretty eager to begin. Thought about checking online for info, but decided if there's one place to look, it'd be here. Any tips before we get started? :)

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Roy... I loved him in Melee, but this is where I must officially say I'm done supporting his return (even though I had kind of stopped a long time ago, now it's official lol).

Fire Emblem has enough representation now, and a GOOD representation at that. There's no room for our boy anymore, sorry. =(

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Any tips before we get started? :)
The best support triangles are:

Clarine/Rutger/Dieck

and

Roy/Alan/Lance

You could also support RoyxLilina if you want, but Lilina is going to need a lot of babying.

If you instead decide to make all of Roy's big supports go to the horse duo, give him a pair of boots or two to keep his movement up with those two. Roy should be fine then.

My usual team for a mundane FE6 run through is pretty much:
1. Roy
2. Alan
3. Lance
4. Clarine
5. Dieck
6. Rutger
7. Chad
8. Lugh

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
As I was willing to part ways with Roy for Ike, I am all the more willing to see Roy's other chances go to Robin and Lucina. I'm quite pleased with the FE representation in Smash 4, it's honestly much better than I expected. I'm still a bit sad Lyn remains an Assist, I'd have picked her over Lucina personally but I do like Lucina a lot as well.

DLC would be neat. That could give Roy another chance but if Roy's inclusion in the Smash Bros series officially ends with Melee, that's alright too.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Someone said in the picture of the day discussion they should make Roy an Ike clone, and my first thought was that that is a terrible idea. Honestly though, if they gave me a fast Ike with Roy's old sweet spot and less reach, then gave him Blazer and Double Edged Dance... and I would play the hell out of that.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Speaking of Roy, my sweetheart and I are planning on doing a playthrough of Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi together... This'll be the first FE game we've ever played, and we're both pretty eager to begin. Thought about checking online for info, but decided if there's one place to look, it'd be here. Any tips before we get started? :)
-Don't be afraid to use prepromotes. Especially if you ever plan on doing a hard mode run. Seriously, it will make your life so much easier.
-In addition to the units Chrono listed, some good ones to use include:
-Perceval
-Saul
-Miredy/Milady
-Shin
-Ray
-Astore/Astohl
-Klein/Klain
-In order to get the games true ending, you need to unlock and complete all of the games' Gaiden chapters. You can find the requirements for those chapters, as well as for the route splits, here.
-If this is your first time playing any FE, it's probably for the best that you go Ilia in the second route split.

And don't forget to try and have fun!

Last edited:

loganhogan

Smash Ace
What about Roy as an Ike clone? In Awakening he was under the mercenary class like Ike the same way Lucina and Marth used the same class.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Well, there's always the possibility of DLC. But, if it doesn't happen, I'm pretty content with Project: M Roy. That's more than enough for me.

Last edited:

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I'm not really that disappointed at the possibility of Roy not returning. He's still my favorite Fire Emblem Lord, but Robin is just that good of a representation for Fire Emblem, I can't be mad at his/her inclusion.

There's hope in DLC if there is any, for both Chrom and Roy, but if Roy does get the chance, then I hope he becomes the Falco to Marth's Fox (the difference as Brawl's). Lucina does kind of have a justification to be a clone of Marth, but I still feel disappointed that the Smash Bros team didn't do something more fun for her.

Long story short, don't be sad guys, as Fire Emblem overall, we already have an amazing cast of representatives, but also things aren't finished yet.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Actually, Roy being an Ike clone does make more sense considering the SoS does not handle like Marth's sword, thus swinging the SoS with two hands (like some of Ike's moves) would be more accurate to how the SoS handles in FE6. It's understandable why Roy plays like Marth, however, it's still a pet peeve of mine seeing the SoS being used the same way as Marth's sword (Falchion essentially functions like a rapier, despite being based on a longsword? **** if I know).

In fact, if we do see Roy as DLC, I think he may have more of a chance to become de-cloned as we do have Lucina as a Marth clone (though, no one's stopping Roy to become one or maybe a Lucas/Wolf). And a good way to de-clone him is playing up the differences the SoS has vs Falchion.

BUT WHY ARE PEOPLE CRYING? It ain't over till it's over. We still have Roy in Project M (the best character, btw :awesome:) and there's the upcoming SMT x FE (the game's supposedly coming along on schedule, so sit tight and hopefully we'll get a trailer soon or something...). And there's still the chance for DLC, of course.

And c'mon IS, an FE6 remake (maybe even in conjunction with FE7) would be godly and a good cash grab. If they're awesome, they'd make one. But who knows what will happen in FE14.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I would really like to see Roy back. He was one of my favorite characters to play as in melee and even in ProjectM I really like playing as him.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I'm not really that disappointed at the possibility of Roy not returning. He's still my favorite Fire Emblem Lord, but Robin is just that good of a representation for Fire Emblem, I can't be mad at his/her inclusion.

There's hope in DLC if there is any, for both Chrom and Roy, but if Roy does get the chance, then I hope he becomes the Falco to Marth's Fox (the difference as Brawl's). Lucina does kind of have a justification to be a clone of Marth, but I still feel disappointed that the Smash Bros team didn't do something more fun for her.

Long story short, don't be sad guys, as Fire Emblem overall, we already have an amazing cast of representatives, but also things aren't finished yet.
I'd say Chrom is done for, at best he can hope for a Vanguard Ike recolor to match his palette.

RockerJay

Smash Cadet
NNID
flutterjay
I would really love to see Roy return even though the chance that he will is low. If Mario can have five reps and Pokemon could have six in Brawl, I don't see how another FE rep would be that bad.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Come on... Sakurai can't be ignorant to the huge amount of people that want Roy... I'd be so shocked (and disappointed) if Roy doesn't make it as a secret unlockable character... or at LEAST DLC!

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
As much I would love to see Roy come back, I sadly dont see him returning due to him already being cut in Brawl and with Robin along side Lucina. Unless they make like a melee dlc that would include Roy and Mewtwo then practically everyone will be happy. It would be a great day for Roy players and Mewtwo players!

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Well... next time I hope moderators let us make a REAL SUPPORT THREAD for Roy and all the ones that got away (see Katy Perry reference/it's your imagination now)...

Sorry, but leaving all Melee veterans that was not present in Brawl on the "veterans" sub-forums was as really really bad idea, because WE NEED TO SUPPORT THEM TO RETURN AS PLAYABLE STATUS!

IceColdSoda

Smash Cadet
I haven't lost hope in Roy yet. I think Lucina's inclusion actually boosts Roy's. Lucina is probably in there just to fill in the void of a Marth clone while Sakurai declones Roy.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not blatantly disregarding the possibility that Roy will return either. I do not find Lucina's reveal relevant to his chances in the slightest.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I found this comment on behindthevoiceactors yesterday:

Lucina was originally planned to be an alternate skin for Marth and nothing more. However, they decided to promote her to her own separate slot and tweak her a little bit. That's why she's so similar to Marth; she wasn't initially planned to be a full-fledged character. She's more of an extra cherry on the roster sundae than a major new addition.
Why did this happen? For one, Lucina is very popular among the fanbase, certainly among the most popular from Awakening. That is a likely factor that would have caused the dev team to reconsider their plan--it allows a popular character to be officially part of the roster at little cost.
On the other hand, Roy is relatively unpopular compared to the various other Lords. Marth, Ike, Robin, and Lucina are all more popular than him, and even Lords not yet represented in SSB like Hector, Lyn, Ephraim, and Sigurd have him beat. He also was not originally planned to be in Melee and was only added as one of the last-minute clones thrown in to beef up the roster. Couple that with his absence from Brawl and it seems Roy is gone with the wind as far as Smash is concerned.
Much of the popularity he does have comes from his appearance in Melee rather than his own game. The main reason he's missed is because he and Mewtwo were the only cuts who were distinct identities rather than variations of other characters.

My question is now:
Is Roy really THAT unpopular? I knew he wasnt THE No. 1 Character of Fire Emblem but this surprises me.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I found this comment on behindthevoiceactors yesterday:

Lucina was originally planned to be an alternate skin for Marth and nothing more. However, they decided to promote her to her own separate slot and tweak her a little bit. That's why she's so similar to Marth; she wasn't initially planned to be a full-fledged character. She's more of an extra cherry on the roster sundae than a major new addition.
Why did this happen? For one, Lucina is very popular among the fanbase, certainly among the most popular from Awakening. That is a likely factor that would have caused the dev team to reconsider their plan--it allows a popular character to be officially part of the roster at little cost.
On the other hand, Roy is relatively unpopular compared to the various other Lords. Marth, Ike, Robin, and Lucina are all more popular than him, and even Lords not yet represented in SSB like Hector, Lyn, Ephraim, and Sigurd have him beat. He also was not originally planned to be in Melee and was only added as one of the last-minute clones thrown in to beef up the roster. Couple that with his absence from Brawl and it seems Roy is gone with the wind as far as Smash is concerned.
Much of the popularity he does have comes from his appearance in Melee rather than his own game. The main reason he's missed is because he and Mewtwo were the only cuts who were distinct identities rather than variations of other characters.

My question is now:
Is Roy really THAT unpopular? I knew he wasnt THE No. 1 Character of Fire Emblem but this surprises me.
Much of that is bs.

In the West, Roy is certainly very popular (in the video advertisements for DLC for FE13, Roy is the only other lord described as legendary aside from Marth and Ike). In the West, most of his popularity comes from Smash Bros. (the same probably holds true for the other two Smash Bros. FE veterans, and many other characters on the roster in general), but in Japan, Roy is definitely amongst the most popular lords even among FE fans.

FE6 in particular was tied with FE7 as the highest ranked game in the series on a popular Japanese review site.

The Roy haters keep repeating the same trash over and over again.

What is truly hilarious is that the same people who bashed Roy for being "just a clone" are the same people gushing over their waifu Lucina, who seems to be even more cloney than Roy was (at least Roy had t3h ph1r3 :troll: ).

Not only do these people never change or recant in spite of their ignorance, but they are profound hypocrites.

Its truly hilarious to see them sputter when shown the ranking for FE games at mk2 (a popular Japanese fan review site).

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What is truly hilarious is that the same people who bashed Roy for being "just a clone" are the same people gushing over their waifu Lucina, who seems to be even more cloney than Roy was (at least Roy had t3h ph1r3 :troll: ).

Not only do these people never change or recant in spite of their ignorance, but they are profound hypocrites.

Its truly hilarious to see them sputter when shown the ranking for FE games at mk2 (a popular Japanese fan review site).
Lucina has blue hair, Roy doesn't.:troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Lucina has blue hair, Roy doesn't.:troll:
I think you missed the point. I was talking about how these people whine about how similar Roy was to Marth, yet Lucina is even more similar to Marth and these people praise her yet were often the same ones bashing Roy.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think you missed the point. I was talking about how these people whine about how similar Roy was to Marth, yet Lucina is even more similar to Marth and these people praise her yet were often the same ones bashing Roy.
I wasn't being serious, just so you know. I get what you meant. Also, are you going to finish off your analysis by doing the newcomer series? With the death of Gematsu, none of the remaining newcomer series candidates are obviously shoo-ins or shoo-outs.

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Much of that is bs.

In the West, Roy is certainly very popular (in the video advertisements for DLC for FE13, Roy is the only other lord described as legendary aside from Marth and Ike). In the West, most of his popularity comes from Smash Bros. (the same probably holds true for the other two Smash Bros. FE veterans, and many other characters on the roster in general), but in Japan, Roy is definitely amongst the most popular lords even among FE fans.

FE6 in particular was tied with FE7 as the highest ranked game in the series on a popular Japanese review site.

The Roy haters keep repeating the same trash over and over again.

Thank you for that.

I like Roy but only as a playable fighter in Smash.
With Lucina on the other hand....i love her because of her character. She is my favorte character in one of my favorite games.
I wish i could say the same about Roy but i never played his game so i barely know his character.

If i had to choose between them i would choose Lucina without any doubt.....

But its a shame that Roy might never return for Smash. I used him a lot in Awakening and hes one of my mains
in Melee...

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
People (and I mean guys) like playing as girls for some reason. That's literally all it is.

Personally, I feel Roy was way more different from Marth than Lucina is. Roy actually did have different moves (Where Ike's Eruption began) while Lucina has copied Marth with a few different more girly animations of each skill. I don't care for Lucina in the slightest and frankly I'm surprised that she was so popular in Awakening. But again, it's most likely because she's a girl.

The only FE character that A LOT of people want is Roy. If we got Roy, he'd probably be a combination of Marth and Ike. A little slower than Marth and Lucina but definitely stronger but with better mobility than Ike. Specials that I could come up with

1. A fire-based slash that is ranged in the same aspect of the Sword of Seals' ranged attack in FE. Fast projectile.
2. A fire-based Dolphin Slash that covers Roy in flames as he rises. It also has a curve-up effect and is slower on rise.
3. It's not FE without the signature counter but with Roy, successful counters causes him to use a small Eruption.
4. Final Smash in the aspect of Eruption but covers a much wider and much higher range.

There you go Sakurai, I just gave you a good way to make Roy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom