• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If they include him just by fans demand I can see Roy being to Marth what Dr Mario is to Mario. They will give him Ike's side special and call it a day. Poor Roy!
If they tweak Roy's stats to be a true mid-point between Marth and Ike and gave him Ike's side special while he retained his Melee neutral special, I would be completely happy.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
I've mastered FE7 and FE6. Be sure to use a guide for Gaiden chapters so you can get the feels ending and truly squeeze the full power out of the Sword of Seals.
http://serenesforest.net/binding-blade/miscellaneous/gaiden-chapters/

Also, be wary of Roy's potential. People say he sucks, but that's mainly promotion time issues. His 325 growth total is beastly for FE6. Units in general in FE6 are really prone to RNG-screwage, so don't be afraid to savestate everyone's growths for 3-4 gains a level if you're okay with that. When he reaches Lv20, I like to meatshield with him (without a weapon) and hand him a weapon if anyone else needs saving. Once he promotes, nothing in the game can hold a candle to Roy with the Sword of Seals, even at just Lv1 promoted. I advise normal weapons on normal units at that point, saving the Sword of Seals when you truly need it, and potentially Hammerne weapon heals for 57 uses of the Sword of Seals. FYI, it can also heal Roy, but you're better off using vulneraries/elixirs/staves for that. Still an option.

Heh, I caught that theme. I would be too worried about it being Lyndis playable, then I would get hyped for Eliwood potentially playable, then I would see Roy playable and I would be all kinds of confused.

I wanna see the trailer open with Winning Road - Roy's Hope, with Marth and Ike beating characters from Subspace up, then Roy comes in and joins them in sheer badassery as the Attack theme starts to play once Roy comes in.
Im pretty scrubby at FE. Lol i just bought the DLC i liked in Awakening and bought King Marth and Beast Ike and only used them and Chrom to beat the game since they were OP. What do you mean SS for Stats? like before i get the kill or does it matter? Sorry if i sound scrubby i really dont play FE much cause im bad at strategy RPGs. Also i did restart to only use DLC characters i bought like Roy and Marth. I just really wish i could even survive against the higher up DLC like Ike and Lyn... they are too OP cant even stand up to them even with the Infinite EXP dlc.

Im pretty scrubby at FE. Lol i just bought the DLC i liked in Awakening and bought King Marth and Beast Ike and only used them and Chrom to beat the game since they were OP. What do you mean SS for Stats? like before i get the kill or does it matter? Sorry if i sound scrubby i really dont play FE much cause im bad at strategy RPGs. Also i did restart to only use DLC characters i bought like Roy and Marth. I just really wish i could even survive against the higher up DLC like Ike and Lyn... they are too OP cant even stand up to them even with the Infinite EXP dlc.
savestate for stats = before you take certain actions. Like when you can attack different units with different units in a turn, and one of your units is at 90 EXP or something. It's looked down on, but I highly recommend it for anyone who doesn't mind, especially to make the game less rough.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its strange. I thought that with Smash 4's release, four playable Fire Emblem characters, one of which is a Marth, that things would look more dire than they have ever been. Yet I am looking at this thread and many places elsewhere, and I see Roy enjoying more support than he did during much of the pre-Smash 4 period.

Throughout the years we Roy fans have constantly and consistently attacked by a multitude of FE fanbases and other character fanbases. After seven years though, we still have a lot of support, despite "lol there is already a crappy Marf clone in Smash" and "lol Roy (Koopa) is already in". To see a day where Roy enjoys even more support than Ridley is truly surreal.

As it seems, Roy may even be within the Top 10 (in terms of legitimate support, not counting who is simply the best vote stuffer). On Miiverse and among Japanese fans, Roy support is very strong.

Years ago, I made grandiose promises in this thread to really turn this thread into something more similar to the heavy-weight fanbases (such as Ridley, K. Rool, and Isaac). I never delivered on that promise. I am ashamed that I never lived up to my own expectations on fighting back against the slander against Roy throughout the years (lies such as namely that Roy is hated among FE fans, that FE6 wasn't well-received, that he is not popular among Japanese fans, that his files in Brawl meant nothing). I found definitive evidence against all of those points, yet, ignorance has still prevailed.

However, in spite of the detractors still playing the same broken tune, Roy supporters have been sprouting up everywhere. I am seeing increasingly more Roy fans say, "so what" in response to some joker saying Roy does not deserve to return based on his performance as a unit relative to other lords in the series, or "I'm a Roy fan and I loved FE6" when they say that there are no Roy fans that have played his game and like him.

Despite all odds, I have seen Roy fans voice their support for the character, despite being shouted down with a barrage of insults. The thing is, that these haters are very, very afraid of, is this: there is a lot, lot more of us than they would want to believe, and that deep in the back of their minds, they are legitimately afraid that Roy actually does stand a chance to return.

In terms of Nintendo characters, only Wolf, K. Rool, Isaac, and maybe Inkling enjoy more support. We may not have much in the way of voter-stuffers and mass propaganda on twitter, but we have countless people who enjoyed Roy firsthand. We can never forget the times we enjoyed playing as Roy. Although Roy is a clone, and a Marth clone is already within Smash 4, Roy was truly an unforgettable character within Smash Bros.

All throughout the years I thought that my efforts alone would be enough to salvage the Roy fanbase and galvanize ourselves into a force similar to what see saw with Mewtwo (certainly not in terms of size, but at least in terms of passion and dedication). I fought many lonely battles in arguments over the years against detractors, and in the end I thought it was all a waste of time.

However, in all of the arguments, there is but one, that I never used. It only recently has become evident to me, and that's heart. Look at characters like K. Rool and Isaac who have gone nearly 10 years (over 10 for Isaac) without a major role in their own franchises, yet sit at the top of the mountain in terms of requests. They survived all these years due to the fact that they greatly enjoyed the games these characters were from, and how these characters were portrayed.

Through Melee and Project M (and for a minority of us, FE6) we still cherish the times and memories we had using Roy and the games he was featured in. Of all the arguments that the detractors use. That he is a clone of Marth and there is already a Marth clone in Smash. That there are already four playable FE characters. That there is already a character named Roy playable. That most Roy fans have not played FE6. None of that matters. In the end, there is still many who still love the character and have not forgotten him. In the end, that may be all that matters.

Whether or not Roy gets in as DLC, we still after all these years still enjoy the character. I am very happy to see how Croph has done much for the Roy support here. There is a very long road for us, and we may not win in the end, but at least we are still here.

We should be proud. Even the goliath Ridley fanbase has crumbled in the face of dashed hopes (and an army of detractors), yet even with four FE slots (one of which is a Marth clone) and at least 10 years of bitter detractors running their mouths at us, we somehow find ourselves sitting at the same table as giants like K. Rool, Isaac, and Wolf.

I hope that people who don't even like Roy at least understand that our enjoyment of the character in Melee and Project M is no less legitimate than those who enjoy other Smash characters primarily though Smash (one example,I seriously doubt most people who love Jigglypuff in Smash Bros. use Jiggly as part of their Pokemon lineup in the Pokemon games).

There is little I can do for my fellow Roy fans, I simply don't have the same passion I used to have in regards to Smash Bros. support and speculation. It is simply on all of you, to make the dream of revival be realized. In the end, I can probably say my efforts were basically negligible in terms of affecting anything.

It was all you that have done this.

We are definitely at a disadvantage relative to other fanbases (for one we have much less vote stuffers) , however, despite our smaller size, we are all in this together, regardless of the outcome.

ROY'S OUR BOY!

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
savestate for stats = before you take certain actions. Like when you can attack different units with different units in a turn, and one of your units is at 90 EXP or something. It's looked down on, but I highly recommend it for anyone who doesn't mind, especially to make the game less rough.
I tried SSing before level up and Roy and Lance got the same stats every time. Is it because I kept attacking the same units for the level up? I don't fully understand level up and skills. That's why I was so bad at FE A. I never could figure out how people got good enough to beat the OP DLC teams like Ike's for his Limit Breaker skill. They are way too hard...

Its strange. I thought that with Smash 4's release, four playable Fire Emblem characters, one of which is a Marth, that things would look more dire than they have ever been. Yet I am looking at this thread and many places elsewhere, and I see Roy enjoying more support than he did during much of the pre-Smash 4 period.

Throughout the years we Roy fans have constantly and consistently attacked by a multitude of FE fanbases and other character fanbases. After seven years though, we still have a lot of support, despite "lol there is already a crappy Marf clone in Smash" and "lol Roy (Koopa) is already in". To see a day where Roy enjoys even more support than Ridley is truly surreal.

As it seems, Roy may even be within the Top 10 (in terms of legitimate support, not counting who is simply the best vote stuffer). On Miiverse and among Japanese fans, Roy support is very strong.

Years ago, I made grandiose promises in this thread to really turn this thread into something more similar to the heavy-weight fanbases (such as Ridley, K. Rool, and Isaac). I never delivered on that promise. I am ashamed that I never lived up to my own expectations on fighting back against the slander against Roy throughout the years (lies such as namely that Roy is hated among FE fans, that FE6 wasn't well-received, that he is not popular among Japanese fans, that his files in Brawl meant nothing). I found definitive evidence against all of those points, yet, ignorance has still prevailed.

However, in spite of the detractors still playing the same broken tune, Roy supporters have been sprouting up everywhere. I am seeing increasingly more Roy fans say, "so what" in response to some joker saying Roy does not deserve to return based on his performance as a unit relative to other lords in the series, or "I'm a Roy fan and I loved FE6" when they say that there are no Roy fans that have played his game and like him.

Despite all odds, I have seen Roy fans voice their support for the character, despite being shouted down with a barrage of insults. The thing is, that these haters are very, very afraid of, is this: there is a lot, lot more of us than they would want to believe, and that deep in the back of their minds, they are legitimately afraid that Roy actually does stand a chance to return.

In terms of Nintendo characters, only Wolf, K. Rool, Isaac, and maybe Inkling enjoy more support. We may not have much in the way of voter-stuffers and mass propaganda on twitter, but we have countless people who enjoyed Roy firsthand. We can never forget the times we enjoyed playing as Roy. Although Roy is a clone, and a Marth clone is already within Smash 4, Roy was truly an unforgettable character within Smash Bros.

All throughout the years I thought that my efforts alone would be enough to salvage the Roy fanbase and galvanize ourselves into a force similar to what see saw with Mewtwo (certainly not in terms of size, but at least in terms of passion and dedication). I fought many lonely battles in arguments over the years against detractors, and in the end I thought it was all a waste of time.

However, in all of the arguments, there is but one, that I never used. It only recently has become evident to me, and that's heart. Look at characters like K. Rool and Isaac who have gone nearly 10 years (over 10 for Isaac) without a major role in their own franchises, yet sit at the top of the mountain in terms of requests. They survived all these years due to the fact that they greatly enjoyed the games these characters were from, and how these characters were portrayed.

Through Melee and Project M (and for a minority of us, FE6) we still cherish the times and memories we had using Roy and the games he was featured in. Of all the arguments that the detractors use. That he is a clone of Marth and there is already a Marth clone in Smash. That there are already four playable FE characters. That there is already a character named Roy playable. That most Roy fans have not played FE6. None of that matters. In the end, there is still many who still love the character and have not forgotten him. In the end, that may be all that matters.

Whether or not Roy gets in as DLC, we still after all these years still enjoy the character. I am very happy to see how Croph has done much for the Roy support here. There is a very long road for us, and we may not win in the end, but at least we are still here.

We should be proud. Even the goliath Ridley fanbase has crumbled in the face of dashed hopes (and an army of detractors), yet even with four FE slots (one of which is a Marth clone) and at least 10 years of bitter detractors running their mouths at us, we somehow find ourselves sitting at the same table as giants like K. Rool, Isaac, and Wolf.

I hope that people who don't even like Roy at least understand that our enjoyment of the character in Melee and Project M is no less legitimate than those who enjoy other Smash characters primarily though Smash (one example,I seriously doubt most people who love Jigglypuff in Smash Bros. use Jiggly as part of their Pokemon lineup in the Pokemon games).

There is little I can do for my fellow Roy fans, I simply don't have the same passion I used to have in regards to Smash Bros. support and speculation. It is simply on all of you, to make the dream of revival be realized. In the end, I can probably say my efforts were basically negligible in terms of affecting anything.

We are definitely at a disadvantage relative to other fanbases (for one we have much less vote stuffers) , however, despite our smaller size, we are all in this together, regardless of the outcome.

ROY'S OUR BOY!
Good read, I'm really glad I checked again before I went to bed.

Give yourself more credit. You'd be surprised how many people have silently seen your efforts for Roy and were inspired by that to keep going. Maybe it was their breaking point and they would have just went into seclusion otherwise. Maybe that led them to reach out to other people to support Roy, reaching out to more people once they got past that silence. I might be one of them, who knows? Spreading the word to even one person at the right time could mean 1,000 supporters, even if you never know about it happening.

There's likely to be at least a few here. In the Facebook group. On other sites.

After all, we're fighting the detractors the same way, so is it really alien?

Even if you didn't live up to your original expectations, don't think of it as failure.

Your passion might not be as strong now, but look at your post. That speech in itself is a feat and a lot of passion. I can only imagine what it was capable of before.

In the end, I can probably say my efforts were basically negligible in terms of affecting anything.
That's even more negative and wrong than what Roy detractors say, and that's saying something.

Reading through posts a few years back, do you really have the right to say that? I don't believe @ Croph Croph or a decent amount of the members from back then or even now would be as motivated or even continuing their place in this thread without you. If your passion now isn't as strong as it was before, and you still managed to give a rousing speech that I bookmarked from just a few paragraphs in, do you think I'd believe your passion years ago was capable of nothing in the grand scheme of things? There is so much data, so many ideas, and so much support from you that's been built into the original thread that stands today. I've relied on this data to talk people previously against Roy into becoming regular members on this thread and a Facebook group. A decent amount of those supporters have done the same across sites. It spreads.

You talk fondly of our strength now, but you gave us resources that allowed us to build ourselves up to that point.

Without it, I wouldn't have made a website due to The Royvolution's leader sending me some of the statistics straight from this thread. Without that website, Croph would have never contacted me personally. Without being contacted personally, I wouldn't have seen this thread, I wouldn't have a website that's attracted a lot of attention to persuade nonbelievers, I wouldn't have directed so many people to this thread, and The Royvolution group on Facebook wouldn't be nearly as strong since the site made it what it is. I probably wouldn't even give vocal support to Roy now, and I might think nothing more than just playing as him with buddies, just from thinking about what I used your research for. Seriously, give yourself more credit in the grand scheme of things.

Even if you can't do as much now, that's understandable. We all lose passion for things, and while I've done a lot for Roy in the last few days, I'm honestly a bit lazy on the website at the moment. It's all up to the modern supporters right now, yes, each of us individually has to push as much as we can, but that doesn't mean you won't fit in once it's all said and done, or that any of your efforts were in vain. The failed experiences were educational and still ultimately led to what we have now. At least a few people will remember you on the topic of Roy.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
@ ChronoBound ChronoBound Nice to hear from you again. Even if I wasn't around in the beginning to see it all, I appreciate all the support you've given over the years. And no problem, we'll do most of the heavy lifting from here.

It's really great to see so many Roy supporters coming together. I'm glad I could be part of this, and some campaigns. Because honestly, even if Roy doesn't become DLC, I'm having so much fun doing stuff like this.

While I have you, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new Fire Emblem game, especially since there seems to be multiple versions of the game (dunno if the same thing will happen in the West). Well, I can't wait for some new info.

AND HEY NO ONE IS A FAILURE HERE! Listen to @ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 he knows what's up! :grin: Seriously he put what I wanted to say in far better words than what I could.

Without it, I wouldn't have made a website. Without that website, Croph would have never contacted me personally. Without being contacted personally, I wouldn't have seen this thread, I wouldn't have a website that's attracted a lot of attention to persuade nonbelievers, I wouldn't have directed so many people to this thread, and The Royvolution group on Facebook wouldn't be nearly as strong. I probably wouldn't even give vocal support to Roy now, and I might think nothing more than just playing as him with buddies, just from thinking about what I used your research for. Seriously, give yourself more credit in the grand scheme of things.
Wow... it's actually scary how true this might have been. It must be fate that drawn us all together or something.

Last edited:

royalblue

Smash Cadet

ROY'S OUR BOY!
That was beautiful. Simply beautiful.

In the end, I can probably say my efforts were basically negligible in terms of affecting anything.
@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 and @ Croph Croph have already said this, but it can not be said enough: give yourself more credit! When I was younger, everyone I knew loved Roy, so it was baffling to me that he didn't return for Brawl. What I found even more baffling was the fanbase's reaction to his cut. Where I was expecting to see massive outcry, I saw "Nah, he sucks. I'm glad he's gone." Sure I saw support for him here or there, but in a lot of cases it seemed like people who missed him were content to move on to Ike or other characters. There were so many times that I felt like I was the only one who really truly wanted him back.

When Smash 4 was announced, I barely cared. I thought there was no way my favorite character would return, so why should I? I minimally started paying attention to the fanbase, and by chance ran into a link to your thread about the Japanese fanbase's desires during pre-Smash 4. Seeing that Roy was the second most requested character in Japan was my first glimmer of hope in a long time. It led me to dig a little deeper and I found this very thread. There were probably about 30 or so pages at the time and I read every single page. Every single post. Especially for any posts you made. Time and again I saw you shoot down detractors with sound arguments, many of them that I still use today.

In the end, if you think you accomplished nothing, I can tell you that you are wrong.
You are the one who brought me here.
You are the one who caused me stick around and make an account on SmashBoards.
You are the one who gave me real hope that I would once again see my very favorite character in one of my favorite game series once again.
You are the one who gave me the passion to fight for what I want.

I've meant to say this to you many times, but thank you! Thank you so much! The reason I'm trying so hard to fight for Roy's return is directly a result of your efforts. You eventually had to take a step back, and that's okay. @ Croph Croph took up the torch of managing the thread and @ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 has put so much effort into this fight that it completely blows my mind sometimes. The three of you have made such and impact and if we do get Roy back one day, it will be especially because of the efforts you all made. Each and every Roy supporter is valuable in this fight, but I will always believe that you are the one who got the ball rolling and made us as strong as we are. I have no doubt that without you, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The more time I spend in this thread, the more I become sympathetic to the fans.

Even though I don't actively support him, I'd be pretty happy if he returned. And I think he's got a pretty good chance, what with being a clone and all, and Sakurai's apparent attempt to bring back as many cut veterans as he can.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
It's truly heartwarming how much support Roy is receiving now that the Smash Ballot is an actual thing. Japan in particular is very fond of Fire Emblem 6's protagonist, and they do want him back.

Logically, the odds are against us since Lucina is already the clone of Marth, and I'm not sure if Sakurai and the Smash Team are willing to bring back yet another clone, as easy as it may sound. BUT if the demand to see Roy is strong enough, they may do that, or maybe even consider giving him the same treatment that Luigi and Falco received.

I'll be honest though, while this certainly brings a smile to my face, I'm not keeping my hopes that high. Yet, I'd love to see our boy back in the battlefield. No disrespect to those who still support him, actually, please keep doing that, keep doing what I -and maybe others- can't.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
These surveys are cropping all over! (has a little more to it than just "what char do you want to see?")
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lD...zJai2o5GLYTy00/viewanalytics?usp=form_confirm

imo, people are getting too worked up over numbers again... "Sakurai said there wouldn't be many chars, so that means only # will be made!" In pre-Smash4 release days? "Mario can only have # reps and everyone else cannot go above #!" While thinking we'll get 10 DLC characters may be unreasonable, don't let the numbers sway you from supporting the characters you love, whether 1st party or 3rd party.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What a great series of posts! It was truly heartwarming to read it all and further boosted my desire to have Roy as DLC.

One thing that bugged me however is the perception of us being at a "disadvantage". That's highly untrue. With Roy being pretty much #1 in DLC requests in Japan and the West also heavily supporting Roy, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be Top 5 at the minimum.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
What a great series of posts! It was truly heartwarming to read it all and further boosted my desire to have Roy as DLC.

One thing that bugged me however is the perception of us being at a "disadvantage". That's highly untrue. With Roy being pretty much #1 in DLC requests in Japan and the West also heavily supporting Roy, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be Top 5 at the minimum.
- King K Rool ( I don't even know why , i love the Contry series , but he never appeal me so much ... Like Riddley )
- Snake ( Veterant/even 3 rd party he's heavily requested , i miss him too )
- Wolf ( Veterant /Years of Star Fox / Star Fox Wii U , No more vilain ... )
- RayMan ( Fake buzz , nothing more )
- Isaac ( Golden Sun where are youuu ~ ? )
- Shovel Knight ( idk because multi-platform and Smashified ?)
- Shantae ( 2D Indie strong history with Nintendo but multi platform)
- Ridley ( Because Ridley )
- Ice Climbers ( Hope let you live ... )
- Bayonetta ( idk )
- Banjo & Kazooie ( Strong history early 3d age of Nintendo , + First compagny to say " okay with them in smash " )
- Roy ( 25th Fire Emblem anniversary / FE Europe and Japan Fan heavily Support him , Veterant )
- Goku ( Over 9000 )
- Shrek ( Shrek is love Shrek is life )
- Shadow ( 2Edgy4you )

That's mostly our "Rivals" but even so , i on this list i only think Snake , Wolf , Roy and Isaac will made in and maybe Banjo & Kazooie ...

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
...;-; Cmon guys, at least give a girl a feels warning. I don't know how to hold all these feels right now.

Everyone else has already said what I would've. Thanks Chrono for being so inspiring. :'D

As for Roy and his playstyle... I've always enjoyed how he's like a "glass cannon" character. Its more fun for me to get up in someone's face than to constantly space them out. He's high risk, but also high reward if you get him right.
So many double and triple KOs I would get with him in Melee. |D

@ Steelia Steelia - people always get worked up over numbers. It's honestly pretty frustrating seeing that. I voted for characters that I wanted (so... Roy and Isaac) and I wouldn't change those votes no matter what. People should vote for who they want and respect the others who vote for other characters... Even if something crazy happened like only getting one more DLC character.

These surveys are cropping all over! (has a little more to it than just "what char do you want to see?")
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lD...zJai2o5GLYTy00/viewanalytics?usp=form_confirm

imo, people are getting too worked up over numbers again... "Sakurai said there wouldn't be many chars, so that means only # will be made!" In pre-Smash4 release days? "Mario can only have # reps and everyone else cannot go above #!" While thinking we'll get 10 DLC characters may be unreasonable, don't let the numbers sway you from supporting the characters you love, whether 1st party or 3rd party.
Some of those numbers seem way off, I can't see Daisy, Chorus Men, or Bayonetta beating Roy. I can't see Isaac being that ridiculously high, while Bandana Dee is so low. It's just not consistent with what I've seen in other polls and threads. This is probably the reddit votes, reddit is just weird and I tend to stay away from it with the topic of Roy because...

There was one poll where Roy beat everyone by at least two times the votes, and I wouldn't say that's a reliable poll either.

Like you said, people are getting too worked up over numbers. We just have to keep getting the votes in, and using the heart we do have to make our votes as good as possible. We need to hit hard in both quality and quantity of votes, without getting our hopes up or down from surveys of the ballot. We have six months total, and we're not even a week into the ballot, so even though everyone most people have one vote, we still have so many people who haven't voted, and so many Roy supporters who don't know about the ballot who may end up being the key to win.

I tried SSing before level up and Roy and Lance got the same stats every time. Is it because I kept attacking the same units for the level up? I don't fully understand level up and skills. That's why I was so bad at FE A. I never could figure out how people got good enough to beat the OP DLC teams like Ike's for his Limit Breaker skill. They are way too hard...
Yes, I'll lay out a scenario that may help:

>Lance at 0 EXP
>Roy at 90 EXP
>Savestate set
>Roy attacks unit
>Roy only gets HP and speed
>Load back to savestate
>Hit that unit with Lance instead now, Lance won't level
>Attack with Roy
>Roy now gets HP, STR, SPD, DEF in one level

If it ends up too much of a convoluted process, don't worry too much about stats. You'll get better in due time, when I first started out I only used a few units, always promoted at Lv10 (not bad in Awakening due to Second Seals, but bad in previous games), relied too much on Marcus (he's a solid unit in FE7 if not used as a crutch), and some other things. I had to start a new file halfway through Eliwood's story, and start over with that new file. With that attempt, I fixed my bad habits and beat the game fine. We can help you out if the game ends up throwing anything nasty, anyone not experienced with FE6 will likely be stuck at least once. I've only seen one case otherwise, out of dozens of people who I got into FE6.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

ROY'S OUR BOY!
Not gonna parrot what all else said here. This had me in tears actually. It's just true in everyway, except you talking still humbly about your efforts.

Maybe we'll make you see how much you truly mean to us all these times when it came to supporting Roy's return to Smash.

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Some of those numbers seem way off, I can't see Daisy, Chorus Men, or Bayonetta beating Roy. I can't see Isaac being that ridiculously high, while Bandana Dee is so low. It's just not consistent with what I've seen in other polls and threads. This is probably the reddit votes, reddit is just weird and I tend to stay away from it with the topic of Roy because...

There was one poll where Roy beat everyone by at least two times the votes, and I wouldn't say that's a reliable poll either.

Like you said, people are getting too worked up over numbers. We just have to keep getting the votes in, and using the heart we do have to make our votes as good as possible. We need to hit hard in both quality and quantity of votes, without getting our hopes up or down from surveys of the ballot. We have six months total, and we're not even a week into the ballot, so even though everyone most people have one vote, we still have so many people who haven't voted, and so many Roy supporters who don't know about the ballot who may end up being the key to win.

Yes, I'll lay out a scenario that may help:

>Lance at 0 EXP
>Roy at 90 EXP
>Savestate set
>Roy attacks unit
>Roy only gets HP and speed
>Load back to savestate
>Hit that unit with Lance instead now, Lance won't level
>Attack with Roy
>Roy now gets HP, STR, SPD, DEF in one level

If it ends up too much of a convoluted process, don't worry too much about stats. You'll get better in due time, when I first started out I only used a few units, always promoted at Lv10 (not bad in Awakening due to Second Seals, but bad in previous games), relied too much on Marcus (he's a solid unit in FE7 if not used as a crutch), and some other things. I had to start a new file halfway through Eliwood's story, and start over with that new file. With that attempt, I fixed my bad habits and beat the game fine. We can help you out if the game ends up throwing anything nasty, anyone not experienced with FE6 will likely be stuck at least once. I've only seen one case otherwise, out of dozens of people who I got into FE6.
Thanks man. I'm at least SSing before I do any actions like when my turn starts to not lose any troops some there is no casual mode like in awakening. I just never could figure out stats and class changes very well. I know that those were key to beating hard stuff. So Marcus is like Frederick I found out lol. Use him to get enemies low on health kill with others. Is it possible to solo as Roy? That would be cool and fun. In my new awakening file I was gonna try and use only chrom my unit and dlc characters that I unlocked like Roy and Marth. Can't beat anyone else I bought.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I was thinking, what if Roy comes back in his melee incarnation (basically a Marth clone with different sweetspot and fire attacks) but with a Lucario's Aura like effect?
Like, more damage he gets, more his sword ignite and gains both range and attack power. At 0% he basically have Lucina's range on attacks, but when the sword is fully on fire he get Shulk range and some attack boost.
This would make him more unique from other swordfighter, and would make him even more a glass cannon, right?

Oh, and by the way ChronoBound, I've lurked this forum for a long time, joining this thread was the main reason I actually signed up in this site!

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
A Lucario rip-off? Nah, I don't think that would work. A better mechanic would be having the sword "heat up" as you land hits or charge up moves. The sword cools down over time, so you have to keep the pressure up to keep to keep the attack boost. And of course, getting KO'd resets it.

Anyone hoping Roy gets moves where flames give him extra range? They definitely need to take advantage of his "sword with a ranged attack" trick.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
A Lucario rip-off? Nah, I don't think that would work. A better mechanic would be having the sword "heat up" as you land hits or charge up moves. The sword cools down over time, so you have to keep the pressure up to keep to keep the attack boost. And of course, getting KO'd resets it.

Anyone hoping Roy gets moves where flames give him extra range? They definitely need to take advantage of his "sword with a ranged attack" trick.
Yes, if I'm not mistaken the Sword of Seals got a ranged attack in the original game.
But by the way that's a good idea, that would make him more unique anyway, with an unique and new mechanic that would make him different from other swordfighter with a new and interesting gameplay.
And would also enforce the glass cannon aggressive playstyle.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I was thinking, what if Roy comes back in his melee incarnation (basically a Marth clone with different sweetspot and fire attacks) but with a Lucario's Aura like effect?
Like, more damage he gets, more his sword ignite and gains both range and attack power. At 0% he basically have Lucina's range on attacks, but when the sword is fully on fire he get Shulk range and some attack boost.
This would make him more unique from other swordfighter, and would make him even more a glass cannon, right?

Oh, and by the way ChronoBound, I've lurked this forum for a long time, joining this thread was the main reason I actually signed up in this site!
If all Sakurai did was make him a replica of his SSBM self, but gave him... say... a down-B that set his sword aflame for about 15 seconds as a fiery power boost, I'd be the happiest of campers. That one change would make him significantly closer to his FE self.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
He should have a different side B and a different up B. His A attacks also need to be different.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I would still like to see Roy be given a ranged fire attack of some sorts, giving him a move that could potentially make people approach him would go well with his mechanic.

Steelia

Smash Champion
On another note, here's a video that first started my appreciation for Roy as a character (jump to 8:40):

Before this, all I knew of him was Smash, and skimming that Hasha no Tsurugi manga. He was awesome in the manga, but played second fiddle to the other protagonists, so his spotlight wasn't as strong...

Here, it was a 1-on-1 meeting. His genuine curiosity, chivalry, and kindness struck me first. There was an air of compassion in the way he spoke, it almost didn't sound like someone of royalty. I also felt a deep sense of remorse, him talking about returning home when he's... technically been dead for many, many years. But though where he originated was long gone, his talk about his love for his homeland despite its flaws, and his invitation to join him there really moved me. I don't think I will ever forget that.

Thanks man. I'm at least SSing before I do any actions like when my turn starts to not lose any troops some there is no casual mode like in awakening. I just never could figure out stats and class changes very well. I know that those were key to beating hard stuff. So Marcus is like Frederick I found out lol. Use him to get enemies low on health kill with others. Is it possible to solo as Roy? That would be cool and fun. In my new awakening file I was gonna try and use only chrom my unit and dlc characters that I unlocked like Roy and Marth. Can't beat anyone else I bought.
Frederick is much better than FE6 Marcus, but about on-par with FE7 Marcus. It's a good idea to use him to meatshield or weaken units yes.

You can solo as Roy, but it requires a lot of knowledge of FE6 and player skill, which I would argue for any lord solo. I would save that for a later playthrough if I were you, it's one of the many challenges I took in FE6 and it's entirely possible, but I would never recommend it for a novice player.

I actually would like that, but I'm leaning more towards @ M MoveMan1 's suggestion to make Roy stand out.

I like the idea of being rewarded for landing hits and keeping pressure going. I think it'd be popular in the competitive community, since I see the rage mechanic, Lucario's aura, and Little Mac's KO meter hated often for rewarding mistakes. Also, I see defensive play complained about, so encouraging players to keep pressure going with a certain character would get a lot of players more into it. Please send that in as a ballot vote.

If all Sakurai did was make him a replica of his SSBM self, but gave him... say... a down-B that set his sword aflame for about 15 seconds as a fiery power boost, I'd be the happiest of campers. That one change would make him significantly closer to his FE self.
Ooooooh, I like this too. I never really use counters, especially here, so I wouldn't mind Roy's being replaced. Although, it would lose the unique charm of being the most powerful counter that scales, but all counters scale here and kill like Roy's old counter anyways, so it'd be a breath of fresh air.

On another note, here's a video that first started my appreciation for Roy as a character (jump to 8:40):

Before this, all I knew of him was Smash, and skimming that Hasha no Tsurugi manga. He was awesome in the manga, but played second fiddle to the other protagonists, so his spotlight wasn't as strong...

Here, it was a 1-on-1 meeting. His genuine curiosity, chivalry, and kindness struck me first. There was an air of compassion in the way he spoke, it almost didn't sound like someone of royalty. I also felt a deep sense of remorse, him talking about returning home when he's... technically been dead for many, many years. But though where he originated was long gone, his talk about his love for his homeland despite its flaws, and his invitation to join him there really moved me. I don't think I will ever forget that.
The main reason I switched from Marth to Roy in Melee was due to his character. He occasionally had that perfect line that made him much more important to me. He had sooooooo many near the end of the game, too. Once I got past the first few chapters of FE6, I truly started to appreciate the game and his character, which made the Brawl cut hurt most since it was too late. Without playing FE6, I probably would have never appreciated Roy or wanted him to return, to be honest.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
"Do you like your world?"

Yes > No

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I don't like my world. :c Bring me to Elibe pls! Take me with yoooou!~

Can we change the name of this thread to make Roy's name more apparent?
Sure, if you have any ideas go ahead. I think we collectively agreed to the current one... Well, the Lycia Alliance thing, I think.

And yeah, I really liked Roy's speech in Awakening. I feel like a FE6 remake will be a great opportunity to flesh out Roy's character even more, among other things. C'mon IS, you know you wanna remake FE6 (and perhaps with FE7 as well)! :awesome:

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If they remake the game then they have to fix Roy's stats. Otherwise, will just have a repeat of people complaining about how Roy's bad in his game and all that crap which I don't like to see.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
I loved Roy's end chat in Awakening-- glad I'm not the only one who thought it stood out at least a little bit. His character is honestly pretty fascinating (and charming, heh). I was neat getting to have a "conversation" with him-- but that goes for all of the DLC characters, I suppose. Because talking with everyone else was cool, too.

I don't think I would like it if Roy lost his Counter. I'm a fan of Counters, and it's really weird when I use characters that don't have them (I still sometimes catch myself attempting to counter with Pit, lmao, but those instances are few and far between anymore). I suppose it's something I could get used to (especially if it was replaced with neat-o SoS fiiiireeeee action), but I'm pretty eh oh the idea as it currently stands.

But if they did poke his moveset.
There is literally like one thing that I've always wanted to see...
PLEASE CAN I SEE THIS IN SMASH BROS THIS WOULD BE SO NEAT.
I sense up-smash potential. Like Palutena's. But cooler because it's fire.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
My notification box hasn't been working. After reading through a few pages, I believe it was this thread(I read a lot of DLC threads) that suggested someone try to get ZeRo to comment on Roy support.

https://youtu.be/Eg0GQCVjLzs
ZeRo did a video on his Top 5 DLC characters. Roy wasn't on it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Why do we need the guy to comment on it? Just saying.
But if they did poke his moveset.
There is literally like one thing that I've always wanted to see...
They can do a quicker version of that attack as his side B.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I don't recall anyone mentioning ZeRo in here... Could be wrong, though. You win some, you lose some.

My thoughts as well, it looks like it'd work as a powerful side-B. Perhaps like Greninja's Shadow Sneak? The longer you hold it, the further out the explosion goes.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice

Agreed on first point, and "oooooh'd" at the second. It would make a neat side B.
Could have the charge-up time like the sprite animation, and the longer it's charged, the bigger the eruption.
He would be like Ike, with two charged moves. And I like those kinds of moves.

:4greninja:'d by Steelia, lmao.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

It's interesting you mentioned that. I remember in Roy's convo with Lance, Roy explains he feels the need to fight on the front lines with everyone so get could endure the same hardships together, gaining people's trust. I always thought he was a pretty compassionate person, but also selfless at times. There's a lot of FE6 support convos I'm particularly fond of as well.

Also, check out the translation to Roy's page from the FE6 artbook:

"Roy's way of thinking is neither like a noble or soldier. He gives hope and empathy to not just nobles or soldiers, but to everyone alike". I think they were going for Roy to be a beacon of hope, in a more symbolic sense.

And it also says, "Roy lacks combat experience, as he is still young"... must be why he sucks. :troll:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
If I wasn't tired, I would have double checked to make sure it was someone on Roy's DLC thread to suggest getting ZeRo to comment. I was just trying to spread the word. Wish he actually had included Roy, that might have spiked more interest in the movement.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
@ K Knux27 I see

@ Steelia Steelia @ Adeptmune Adeptmune That can actually be a good replacement for his Neutral B when you think about it. It also gives his character more life and doesn't make people view him as "another Marth". Here's my custom SSB4 Roy moveset.

A attacks: Different from Marth and Lucina's attacks.

Neutral B: Flare Blade revamped with his animation with the Sword of Seals in FE6.

Side B: Creates a fire projectile of some sorts using his blade and lunges it at his
opponent (sounds creative right?).

Up B: Like his Melee one only he moves in a 180 degree angle that gives him great horizontal recovery and a pretty good vertical recovery.

Down B: Same counter as Melee only a bit faster.

Final Smash: Inspired by the FE6 manga, he would do something similar to his neutral B only it would be extremely quick and would OHKO anyone in range.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Can we change the name of this thread to make Roy's name more apparent?
Would putting "Roy" at the very beginning suffice? That seems very commonplace for topics here. I'm guilty of skimming thru topics by their first word to see what chars they represent, and overlooked this one because Roy's name was not the first. A simple swap like...

Roy for DLC: The Lycia Alliance!

He has such a short name, so it's a little difficult to make it stand out easier without caps "ROY" or something :p

I'm half-tempted to suggest "Lord Roy", half because it's fancier, half for the smart alecks.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Seeing that Mewtwo's Smash 4 moveset is wholesale copied from Melee without any changes, I don't expect much changes in Roy either, except for balance. :ohwell:

:231:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom