• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mach Rider For SSB4 Thread!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mach Rider would be a better addition than another F-Zero character and still be able to be a rival to Captain Falcon.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I really like the idea of Mach Rider playable. And I don't care what gender MR is.

She is cool. He is cool. That's all that matter. (but I like the concept of female Mach Rider. Just... because I tend to like female characters)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
i still think mach rider is a he. however, if sakurai chooses to surprise us and unveils the character to be female, i still wouldn't mind.
one problem with that on the arcade screen you can see he has a six pack and its a like vin deseal

ny the way add me to the list of support list sakurai might try again with this guy and theres a excellent amount of evidence

(if his a assist trophy and not playable that's ok theres the chance of transfer to playable next smash if there is)

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
This guy (person I guess?) is one of my bigger dreams for Smash 4; throw me on the list of supporters! That being said I disagree with quite a few people here in that I think he'd optimally remain on his bike the majority of the time. I think having him run around is wasted potential; part of his combat could be bike tricks and the like. (Wheelies, burn-outs, and all manner of interesting aerials.)

I also think him getting a few of his series' hazards is an interesting premise although one that I'm hesitant to include.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
A mounted Mach Rider would be incredible. In case there needs to be an explanation of why Mach Rider is not knocked off the bike, he can be chained to his ride. Or handcuffed to the handlebars.

Morbi

Scavenger
After some contemplation, this would be my retro pick (assuming Little Mac doesn't count). Obviously he has a lot of potential and he sounds really fun. That is the most important thing.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Mach Rider being female would be incredibly surprising, ala Samus.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
A mounted Mach Rider would be incredible. In case there needs to be an explanation of why Mach Rider is not knocked off the bike, he can be chained to his ride. Or handcuffed to the handlebars.
Or he's just got that much skill. :cool: I mean, it's not like Link or Marth lose a grip on their swords.

... Yeah, I can see his design including some sort of tether or explanation as to how he stays on his bike. Maybe when he gets hit his bike breaks into nothing and when he stops being in a tumbling animation it reforms a la the original game? I don't know how how to describe it but in the original game getting hit causes you to disintegrate, and if you have an extra life he then reforms. It was suggested in this thread as an up special which could also work. It also could be a nice death animation given that Mega Man has one.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Or he's just got that much skill. :cool: I mean, it's not like Link or Marth lose a grip on their swords.

... Yeah, I can see his design including some sort of tether or explanation as to how he stays on his bike. Maybe when he gets hit his bike breaks into nothing and when he stops being in a tumbling animation it reforms a la the original game? I don't know how how to describe it but in the original game getting hit causes you to disintegrate, and if you have an extra life he then reforms. It was suggested in this thread as an up special which could also work. It also could be a nice death animation given that Mega Man has one.
I've read movesets that made that work as a counter, which would make a bit more sense since Mach only explodes when hit.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mechanic: Re-Materialization

If hit by an attack that does 27 percent damage or more, instead of taking knockback Mach Rider will dematerialize and rematerialized in place. Mach Rider will have invincibility frames for several frames afterwards so the opponent cannot lock Mach Rider in place with attacks. Mach Rider will still take damage.

PressStart

Smash Cadet
Mach Rider in Smash would be boss! I was just listening to the soundtrack, and the extended version of the theme was killer. The remix in Melee and the trophy design are also cool; sooooo much could be done to make her different from Captain Falcon.

Also, I couldn't help but think of this Legends of Localization article when reading some of the posts assuring that Mach Rider has to be a male: http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-was-samus-called-a-he-in-japanese-too/

Obviously, Mach Rider's just a video game character, and Nintendo could "reboot" the character into a male, female, or neither, but I don't see why a female Mach Rider would be impossible.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm a big fan of this idea and support Mach. Rider wholeheartedly. In fact I wrote a whole essay on why I believe he's very likely to be in SSB4. Please take a look. :p

MACH RIDER SMASH BROS 4

I find Mach Rider to be a severely overlooked retro character. Most people vouch for either Takamaru or Lip, and after recent events Lip has appeared on less and less rosters and even retro characters were becoming a less common addition. But why should Super Smash Bros 4 be the game to break tradition and not include a retro character? Sakurai says that he loves adding retro characters, and that the ability to revive lost franchises makes him one of the luckiest men in the world, so a retro seems to be inevitable. So let's lo at some popular retro choices, shall we?

Takamaru - Possibly the most popular and expected retro, Takamaru had a lot going for him a few months back. A minigame in Nintendo Land, a fair amount of popularity in Japan, and his relationship to the "Class of 1986" (Takamaru is to Link as Pit is to Samus) were all extremely beneficial to his likeliness. But recently something has made me skeptical of Takamaru's once "inevitable" inclusion. Greninja. While Greninja has "ninja" elements rather than "samurai" elements (which Takamaru obviously possesses), I feel that Greninja took on the whole Japanese folklore niche regardless. Shurikens and using smoke to teleport are evidence of this claim, abilities that once belonged to Takamaru. Plus, Greninja has a few attacks featuring a water sword. As Takamaru's weapon of choice is a sword, this worries me quite a bit. I don't think that Takamaru's chances are anywhere near dead, and I would love to see him included in the game, but I feel that he took a major hit with the reveal of Greninja.

Lip - There isn't too much to say about Lip anymore, since Lip's Stick has supposedly been revealed as an item once again. While Lip possesses abilities outside of her magic flower, that's what she would likely fight with if she was to be included in Smash Bros. Due to this, I consider her chances as good as dead.

Little Mac? - Although I personally don't consider Little Mac to be the retro addition, some believe that this is the case, due to his supposed obscurity in Japan and Punch Out's long hiatus. I would argue heavily that Mac is a modern Nintendo character rather than a retro. Sakurai usually adds Retros because he sees potential in their series; he loves to bring back series from the dead like he has done with Kid Icarus. Of course, doing this with Little Mac would be a lost cause, due to the Punch Out reboot on the Wii back in 2008. I define "retro" as a character that can possibly be revived by Sakura in a similar style to Kid Icarus, but Little Mac cannot since he has already been revived. Add to this the fact that Kid Icarus got a reboot even more recently than Punch Out (2011) and nobody refers to Pit as retro anymore (Kid Icarus is on it's way to getting a second character, after all). As a result, Mac is as retro as Pit: AKA, not retro.

So who is a retro character with hardly anything in his way at the moment AND has been mentioned by Sakurai in the past? It's Mach Rider, of course.

Mach Rider was a decently popular launch title for the NES, releasing alongside classics such as Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, Excitebike, and Ice Climber. It was one of the first games to experiment with 3D-ish effects, showing perspective while Rider drove along the track. I would imagine this was pretty mind blowing back then, as something like this had never really been seen on home consoles back in the mid-80's. The game never received a sequel, but one can say that F-Zero was a spiritual successor to Mach Rider, with it's futuristic setting, Mode 7 graphics, and falling under the racing genre. As F-Zero went on to become a popular Nintendo series and receive a character in Smash Bros (in the form of the ever popular Captain Falcon), Mach Rider was left in the dust (no punintendo). In Smash Bros Melee, Sakurai expressed interest in Mach Rider's inclusion as a playable character, even stating that he was his favorite character concept for the game, yet Mach has been absent from the series. The only aspects of Mach Rider that have appeared are a trophy and an awesome track. I'm led to believe that Mach Rider was at least planned for Melee and possibly Brawl, since Sakurai was so fond of the idea. Finally, a sequel to Mach Rider was rumored for 3DS and even listed as an upcoming title in such magazines as Nintendo Power, but as time went on the game disappeared from the listing, probably cancelled. It makes me wonder how the game would have ended up: with a cool character like Mach Rider I'm sure the game would have been awesome.

Clearly Mach's history with Nintendo is pretty extensive, dating back to the NES, and Sakurai loves the idea of adding the character, so I find Mach Rider to be a great choice for a retro character. So how would he work? Many figure that Mach Rider would play like Captain Falcon given their similar stature and games, but I had another idea that was even considered for Melee: a "mount character". A mount character is essentially a character who stays mounted on an object while fighting. With Sakurai's originality this time around, a unique character like this seems like an awesome idea. Some people find this idea unlikely or "impossible", but looking back at Melee the idea doesn't seem too farfetch'd. Supposedly the character Excitebiker, from Excitebike obviously, was planned to be featured in Melee. The original plan was to have Biker ride around and fight while mounted on his motorcycle, just like my proposal for Mach Rider. However, Sakurai encountered problems with making Excitebiker jump while on his bike, and ultimately pulled the plug on the character. With Sakurai revisiting past ideas that either fell through or were considered "impossible" (cough cough, Villager), I could totally see him coming back to this one. However, some may try to be smart and say "well why not just add Excitebiker like the original plan?" The answer goes back to my definition of "retro". Excitebike has seen releases past its NES iteration, I believe there was even one on WiiWare, so technically speaking it can't be considered retro, just like Pit and Little Mac, or revived for that matter. So unless Sakurai finds Excitebike to be an important enough Nintendo franchise to warrant a character, I don't believe that he'll be jumping at the opportunity. But since the idea of a mount character is likely still floating around Sakurai's head, he'll look back to Melee and think about Excitebiker. As Sakurai is looking for unique characters, he may pass by Mach Rider at first for being too similar to Captain Falcon, even though he loves the character, but I'm sure that eventually Sakurai would put two and two together and come up with the idea of Mach Rider mounted on his bike, which, who knows, could have been the idea in the first place. I'm positive that both characters have passed Sakurai's mind recently. Mounting Mach Rider on his bike makes him a very worthwhile and unique addition in my eyes, and with nothing standing in his way, we may see Mach Rider race into battle very soon.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I really liked playing as Mach Rider in Super Smash Bros. Crusade, and I think he would be a great addition to the roster. Count me in as a supporter.

Dunno if he's really supposed to be female, but I don't think that would matter to Sakurai.

Last edited:

Arti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arti31415
3DS FC
2621-3001-2960
What if they kinda retooled him like they did with Pit in Brawl? Pit's bow gained the ability to split into two blades, there, which never happened in the original game.

So maybe Mach Rider's bike could transform, or merge with him or something. Or he's a cyborg and it's part of his body. There are a lot of possibilities.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
What if they kinda retooled him like they did with Pit in Brawl? Pit's bow gained the ability to split into two blades, there, which never happened in the original game.

So maybe Mach Rider's bike could transform, or merge with him or something. Or he's a cyborg and it's part of his body. There are a lot of possibilities.
Considering how his designed changed simply for a trophy in Melee, it's a plausible scenario.

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
I've been a huge supporter of Mach Rider for a while now. Not only does he work as a brand new retro representative, which we haven't seen yet, but he could also have a very unique and dynamic moveset. The thing is that I believe he has a better chance than Takamaru since Takamaru would just be yet another swordfighter, and we already have a character that uses a lot of ninja-like techniques (Greninja). His design would most likely be based off of his trophy in Melee but a bit more redefined (I'd hope that Sakurai would get rid of those stupid shoulder plates), but the fact that his main method of attack is his motorcycle (which is outfitted with TWO machine guns, might I add) would make him completely different from other characters. Obviously he's be pretty fast on that bike of his, but that thing is also pretty burly and incredibly durable. I see him as being a heavy character that has a lot of speed on the ground but poor aerial abilities (heavy motorcycles don't exactly work well in the air). This probably sounds a lot like Little Mac to some people, but again, Mach Rider has his bike. The two machine guns also provide ranged possibilities, but I doubt Sakurai would take advantage of them.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Add me to the support list. He's my favorite potential "retro" character.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Dang, I have been searching for this thread for ages, now I can finally support one of my most wanted newcomers.
Mach Rider Sm4sh.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Didn't Sakurai try to put him in melee, but couldn't make him work? I'm not a Mach Rider supporter, but seeing as he's been considered before, and Sakurai is clearly putting in characters he previously thought impossible, maybe he has a shot this time. Good luck!

DANICK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0619-4467-3811
I don't think he will appear as playable, maybe a assist trophie, but who knows?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
If I recall well, he was just considered, along Excitebiker, Baloon Fighter, Ice Climbers and Pit. And Ice Climbers got the spot, because it was the most original, and characters on bike were hard to do, like Pit's wings.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
So, would Mach Rider be a daredevil type fighter? He sounds interesting, I will surely keep an eye on this thread.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
How would his abilities to separate into fragments be implemented into his moveset?

DANICK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0619-4467-3811
I think he's better than another f-zero character

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
I think he's better than another f-zero character
It would be perfect, rather than just a Skin for Gannondorf or another similar fighter to C Falcon, we could get not only a retro character and a unique fighter, but the spiritual predecessor to Falcon Punch.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'll try to make a moveset for Mach Rider.

Since he'd likely end up like Captain Falcon i'll base his moves off of Kamen Rider, Hokuto No Ken, and Ghost Rider. :awesome:

I'll post it when it's ready.

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
I'll try to make a moveset for Mach Rider.

Since he'd likely end up like Captain Falcon i'll base his moves off of Kamen Rider, Hokuto No Ken, and Ghost Rider. :awesome:

I'll post it when it's ready.
Don't forget his bike and reanimation ability!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd rather have Mach Rider Unchained than Mach Rider in Smash tbh.

Of course one would probably lead to the other anyway.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Mach Rider's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Mach Rider's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
My god I'm going to have to follow you to keep up with these.
But there ain't no competition: Speedster!

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman

I could see a mixture of bruiser and speedster. I could also see him being permanently on his bike, and using it as a zoning tone for those below him in a unique fashion.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I could see a mixture of bruiser and speedster. I could also see him being permanently on his bike, and using it as a zoning tone for those below him in a unique fashion.
Which character type do you think would give Mach Rider players the most struggle?

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
My only issue with Mach Rider is that just from an appearance standpoint he seems like an odd blend of megaman/falcon (although i may be horribly off the mark). He might be a unique character, but I guess they'd have to make sure he also LOOKS really unique, too

Top Bottom