• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Greninja main here, having a hard time deciding whether I want Mega Man or Sonic as my secondary. Both characters are fun to play and are both looking to be pretty good fighters right now, but its hard to decide who I feel compliments my main better and who leans towards my playstyle more. Some of my other favorite characters in the game include the following: :4pacman::rosalina::4pit::4shulk::4ness:.

That said, I like characters that can function in multiple playstyles both offensively and defensively, and my comfort zone happens to be at close or mid range. I'm cool with playing with playing either offensively or defensively as long as I can do both or a balance in-between, though people tell me that I go in a lot so I lean a little more towards aggression than passiveness most of the time.
Talked with another Greninja main looking for a secondary the other day, and he came to the conclusion that Pit would be a good choice because he covers Greninja's matchups well.

Actually, Pit would make for a solid secondary for anybody because basically all his matchups are neutral.

But anyway, Pit sounds like a good fit for playstyle reasons too. He does his best at mid to close range, he's relatively balanced between offense and defensive play (leaning to defense), and he's an all-around solid character with no crippling matchups to speak of.

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
I'm stuck between Jigglypuff and Kirby. I love the floaty characters (although I don't do well with them). I like Kirby better as a character, but I'm a bit better with Puff and she is good in Melee as well (while Kirby is one of the worst fighters).

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
I'm stuck between Jigglypuff and Kirby. I love the floaty characters (although I don't do well with them). I like Kirby better as a character, but I'm a bit better with Puff and she is good in Melee as well (while Kirby is one of the worst fighters).
In Smash 4, I think they're about equal. Puff still has a nice punish game while Kirby has better defensive options. Both have great aerials too. So just pick who ya like more.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Hello everyone.

I am having trouble with a third character to main in Smash Wii U, as I have been jumping around between different fighters available.

I currently main :4bowser: and :4shulk: as I like the raw power :4bowser: has, the ability to Klaw Cancel, potent Shield Breaking with his Down B and that sweet 35% on his Air Up B (If done correctly and all hits connect). And :4shulk: with being able to change to what is best suited for the fight, Monado Cancelling, good range, having in my opinion the best Counter in the game and that I really enjoyed the game he came from.

I'm trying to find a third character to main/sub, as I feel like :4bowser: and :4shulk: won't really cut it against more popular and "Top Tier" fighters like :4diddy:, :4sheik:, :4zss: and :4sonic:, since I struggle against these four the most (And :rosalina: too) plus with me avoiding using those fighters; since I feel like I won't enjoy using them as much and I'll get bored of them with my dislike for those characters. So I want to try and find a character I'll really enjoy using along with :4bowser: and :4shulk: but can also deal with those four/five menaces.

Any advice on who I should consider picking up?

Last edited:

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
So I'm kinda struggling with my main, probably due to my weird history of smash play.

In Melee in never dodged, or even jabbed, and just spammed special moves and the c stick.
I played Fox and just used His fire-fox.exe and side b.

Then in Brawl I was less of a stupid kid, but still played casually. I didn't really have a main, but I liked Lucas, Lucario, and Olimar.

I want to get good at this game, but I am kinda bouncing between a main.
I would really prefer someone from a series I'm familiar with.
I've played
  • Pokemon
  • Pikmin
  • Kid Icarus
  • Fire Emblem
  • Mario (duh)
  • Zelda (also duh)
  • Earthbound (barely)
  • Kirby
  • Planning on playing Xenoblade
I like versatility. The character best able to deal with other characters.
However, I like to be able to finish other characters off well. I tried Shiek out and she was really fun, except it was hard to KO people once I got them into the red.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I'm kinda struggling with my main, probably due to my weird history of smash play.

In Melee in never dodged, or even jabbed, and just spammed special moves and the c stick.
I played Fox and just used His fire-fox.exe and side b.

Then in Brawl I was less of a stupid kid, but still played casually. I didn't really have a main, but I liked Lucas, Lucario, and Olimar.

I want to get good at this game, but I am kinda bouncing between a main.
I would really prefer someone from a series I'm familiar with.
I've played
  • Pokemon
  • Pikmin
  • Kid Icarus
  • Fire Emblem
  • Mario (duh)
  • Zelda (also duh)
  • Earthbound (barely)
  • Kirby
  • Planning on playing Xenoblade
I like versatility. The character best able to deal with other characters.
However, I like to be able to finish other characters off well. I tried Shiek out and she was really fun, except it was hard to KO people once I got them into the red.
If you like versatility and Xenoblade, Shulk's stance-change mechanic is good. That said, all of his moves beyond Monado Arts are sword-based, so if you don't like slashing and thrusting with a giant blade, maybe not the best. He does have a high learning curve and his moves require a lot of commitment. But he's exceptionally fun and solid in the hands of a learned player.

I'd suggest Pit for versatility and Kid Icarus. He has no truly great or awful matchups, but his KO power is lacking overall. Not your best bet if that's a deal-breaker for you. Palutena is better at getting the kill, but again, high learning curve and slow moves. And she has some truly terrible matchups, she's very hit 'n' miss.

If you like Pikmin, Olimar is similar, in that he takes a long time to learn, but is very potent if you can play him well. His Pikmin-shifting style opens up a lot of opportunities for creative combos and setups, though you may be relying on Purple Pikmin in specific to get the elusive KO. Worth looking into. Definitely a sleeper hit.

If you like Super Mario, why not just try Mario? He's exceptionally diverse and has great combo potential and a solid toolkit. Or, if you're feeling particularly cunning, Doc is basically Mario with less speed and more power.

Are you planning on playing with or without customs? Palutena and Doc benefit hugely from their custom sets, so that may be something to bear in mind when deciding.

NAKAT

Smash Champion
Hello. I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking for a second and possibly even third character to co-main. I enjoy playing as multiple characters and am not the kind of person who wants to use just one constantly. Think Nakat with his trio of characters.

My current character that I am 100% set on is Yoshi. I'm good with him and thouroughly enjoy playing him and have used him since release. However I've been messing around with several other characters that I'm interested in and have had success with.

(In no particular order): Shiek, Luigi, Ness, Pikachu, Fox, Diddy, G&W, Mario, Jigglypuff,

As you can see I enjoy playing with mid-high tier characters with lots of fun combos/options. Any input on a character or two that would work well as pockets for Yoshi, or perhaps cover some of his weaknesses is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Edit: forgot a character
I only main three character because I was able to first fully master Ness then move on to Fox whom I played in every Smash game. At top level it's easier and better to do something like this. You should be focusing on one character for a while dude.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Who Is better? Ness or Robin? I am very good with Shulk and he is my main. I am looking for secondaries though.

Honest

Banned via Warnings
Hello people, I am kinda curious as to who I should pick for my main + secondaries. Right now I have tried pretty much every character in the game and honestly don't feel connected with any of them. In Melee I mained Sheik, in Brawl I mained Squirtle and Dedede, but I found playing as both Sheik and Dedede in the new game isn't as fun and feels like a chore. Squirtle will forever be my absolute favorite throughout any of the series as he is the first character I attempted to learn and the first one I won a tournament with (Local one, nothing big). Is there anyone similar to him in the new game? I haven't seen any similarities in anyone, but I am open for suggestions!

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Hello people, I am kinda curious as to who I should pick for my main + secondaries. Right now I have tried pretty much every character in the game and honestly don't feel connected with any of them. In Melee I mained Sheik, in Brawl I mained Squirtle and Dedede, but I found playing as both Sheik and Dedede in the new game isn't as fun and feels like a chore. Squirtle will forever be my absolute favorite throughout any of the series as he is the first character I attempted to learn and the first one I won a tournament with (Local one, nothing big). Is there anyone similar to him in the new game? I haven't seen any similarities in anyone, but I am open for suggestions!
Sadly, there is nobody Similar, But squirtle being an All-Around character, Dedede being a Power character, and Shiek being a speed character, I suggest Gannon, DK (NOT DIDDY), Luigi, Megaman, Robin, Kirby, and Sonic. I am not saying to main them all though. Try them out for about 5 2 min. matches each and see which one you like as a main, and what others you like as secondaries. Hope this helps.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Sadly, there is nobody Similar, But squirtle being an All-Around character, Dedede being a Power character, and Shiek being a speed character, I suggest Gannon, DK (NOT DIDDY), Luigi, Megaman, Robin, Kirby, and Sonic. I am not saying to main them all though. Try them out for about 5 2 min. matches each and see which one you like as a main, and what others you like as secondaries. Hope this helps.
I was about to say that too. But wouldn't Mega Man's DSmash be sort of similar to Squirtle's?

But yeah, I'm still looking around for a third character to main that I'll enjoy and help against speedy characters [And Diddy/Rosalina]. (Not reposting what I posted earlier as I feel like it is kinda pointless atm. And it's just a few replies above this one.)

Honest

Banned via Warnings
I just gave Gannon, Megaman, Donkey Kong and Robin a shot in a couple of For Glory matches and none of them really stood out to me as characters I would want to continue playing. I really don't want to give Luigi and Sonic a shot because I truly dislike fighting them and highly doubt I would enjoy playing as them.

I don't mean to be a bother, but would you happen to have any other suggestions?

But yeah, I'm still looking around for a third character to main that I'll enjoy and help against speedy characters [And Diddy/Rosalina]. (Not reposting what I posted earlier as I feel like it is kinda pointless atm. And it's just a few replies above this one.)
From my experience,
The best matchups against Diddy Kong are Captain Falcon, Megaman and Sheik.
The best matchups against Rosalina & Luma are Diddy Kong, Captain Falcon and Sheik.

If you want a character for specifically the Diddy/Rosalina matchup I would suggest Captain Falcon or Sheik.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I just gave Gannon, Megaman, Donkey Kong and Robin a shot in a couple of For Glory matches and none of them really stood out to me as characters I would want to continue playing. I really don't want to give Luigi and Sonic a shot because I truly dislike fighting them and highly doubt I would enjoy playing as them.

I don't mean to be a bother, but would you happen to have any other suggestions?
Other Characters I never mentioned that you might want is Bowser, Rosalina, Game&Watch, Link, and Pac-Man. If you still have trouble, watch this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awiDt2Kw8Jw

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
From my experience,
The best matchups against Diddy Kong are Captain Falcon, Megaman and Sheik.
The best matchups against Rosalina & Luma are Diddy Kong, Captain Falcon and Sheik.

If you want a character for specifically the Diddy/Rosalina matchup I would suggest Captain Falcon or Sheik.
I might consider Falcon, but the other characters I struggle with are Sheik, Sonic, ZSS. Since I always fall for their tricks. (Sonic being very tough for me to punish, ZSS Neutral B bnb combos for days which are even safe on block and Sheik... oh boy.) And while I would consider using Sheik, I just dislike her way too much to even consider using her. D:

But I'll definitely get to trying out Falcon for five to ten minutes in the lab.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
I've given C. Falcon a test run in the lab, and I do like how he plays, fast but heavy.
I'll have to get use to how fast he is compared to Bowser & Shulk, but I think I'll get there eventually. If I get the chance, I'll try and spar a few matches against some Diddys, Sheiks, ZSSs, etc. and see how well I progress.

Thanks for the advice Honest.

Last edited:

Brawlmaster932

Smash Rookie
My Preferences

1.Preferably a character who looks pretty cool

2. Good recovery(Cant stand falling off)

3.Good at melee

4.Decent projectile with far range(Preferably a controllable one as non controllable can easily be dodged)

5. Average Speed( Not too slow or fast)

6.Can also attack in air fairly well

So overall A pretty balanced character who looks really cool with a cool outfit

Please leave suggestions it would really be helpful.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
My Preferences

1.Preferably a character who looks pretty cool

2. Good recovery(Cant stand falling off)

3.Good at melee

4.Decent projectile with far range(Preferably a controllable one as non controllable can easily be dodged)

5. Average Speed( Not too slow or fast)

6.Can also attack in air fairly well

So overall A pretty balanced character who looks really cool with a cool outfit

Please leave suggestions it would really be helpful.
Mario, Yoshi, Sheik, Pit or Dark Pit, Falco, and R.O.B. fit

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
Hey guys. I currently main Yoshi, with Charizard and Mii Brawler as secondaries. Zard is definitely the weakest one right now, but I'm getting better. My question is, should I consider picking up anyone else to help cover any MU weaknesses?

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
How is Fox in this game? I want a quick aggressive fighter with good combos, but I'm not a fan of CFalcon (sorry :p ) and I like having the reflector to deal with projectile spammers. Thanks!

CaptainZer0dew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaptainZer0dew
3DS FC
1564-3473-0907
I know the characters that I have success with frequently are:
Mario, Dr. Mario, Captain Falcon, Ness, R.O.B., and Mr Game and Watch.

With Ness, I am completey different than half the Ness-es I have seen on FG... I don't roll religiously and I seem to know what I'm doing... then I see competitive Ness-es like NAKAT (#OnettBoyz) and I am confused on if I should do that and if I'm wrong with my Ness game.

With Captain Falcon who I have used in all 4 of the games I have played, I feel like I know what I'm doing, but I seem to spam the same strategy, and I don't respond quicker than I'd like to with him. Watching people like Shofu I feel like I do exactly that, but it's weird.

With the Mario bros. I know what I'm doing and they both share spots as the 4th member of my mains.

ROB I am still new with, but relatively know what I am doing and Game and Watch I barely use anymore.

What I am trying to do is practice with Ness, Captain Falcon and R.O.B... I was going to join Anthers' Ladder to see if some people will indirectly help me in learning these characters more, but I am still lost in knowing if these are my characters to be my 1st, 2nd and 3rd mains. (Yeah I like to broaden my horizons so if I can't beat one person with say Captain Falcon, I can try to beat them with R.O.B. or someone else. I always say it's good to not use your main repeatedly).

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
If you like versatility and Xenoblade, Shulk's stance-change mechanic is good. That said, all of his moves beyond Monado Arts are sword-based, so if you don't like slashing and thrusting with a giant blade, maybe not the best. He does have a high learning curve and his moves require a lot of commitment. But he's exceptionally fun and solid in the hands of a learned player.

I'd suggest Pit for versatility and Kid Icarus. He has no truly great or awful matchups, but his KO power is lacking overall. Not your best bet if that's a deal-breaker for you. Palutena is better at getting the kill, but again, high learning curve and slow moves. And she has some truly terrible matchups, she's very hit 'n' miss.

If you like Pikmin, Olimar is similar, in that he takes a long time to learn, but is very potent if you can play him well. His Pikmin-shifting style opens up a lot of opportunities for creative combos and setups, though you may be relying on Purple Pikmin in specific to get the elusive KO. Worth looking into. Definitely a sleeper hit.

If you like Super Mario, why not just try Mario? He's exceptionally diverse and has great combo potential and a solid toolkit. Or, if you're feeling particularly cunning, Doc is basically Mario with less speed and more power.

Are you planning on playing with or without customs? Palutena and Doc benefit hugely from their custom sets, so that may be something to bear in mind when deciding.
You are kinda sounding like my smash conscience right now lol.

Those characters (Pit, Olimar, Palutena and Shulk) are pretty much my top contenders. I feel Olimar is weaker without 6 Pikmin though, as much as I LOOOVE the Pikmin series he feels like a shadow of his former self imo.
Pit's inability to kill kinds pisses me off, is Dake Pit any better?

I haven't really considered customs. I kinda am sick of for glory because lag screws me 90% of the time. If I'm done with it maybe go for customs?

Maybe I should take a look at them.
Not really a fan of Mario, but I do play Luigi every so often so maybe that would be something to consider.

If I embrace customs I think Palutena may end up winning out for me. She really entertained me in KI: Uprising.

What's the consensus of custom moves RN anyway? Are they gonna be banned from tourny's or what? Just curious.

Honest

Banned via Warnings
I know I have posted in this thread a fair amount, but I am literally at a complete loss at this point. I have tried every character in this game, and not a single one of them would I want to consider my main. I don't know what to do at all and I am legitimately upset over the possibility that maybe there is no character in this game that matches me and the way I play.

With Squirtle it was an instant click, I loved playing him from the beginning, but there is nobody like that in this game, there isn't even a character that I am overly fond of visually either. I really want to be able to attempt and play Sm4sh competitively, but this setback is astronomical.

I know I probably sound super whiny, but if you have any way of getting around this, please, share it. I really want to begin improving in this game, and I need a main to begin that process.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I know I have posted in this thread a fair amount, but I am literally at a complete loss at this point. I have tried every character in this game, and not a single one of them would I want to consider my main. I don't know what to do at all and I am legitimately upset over the possibility that maybe there is no character in this game that matches me and the way I play.

With Squirtle it was an instant click, I loved playing him from the beginning, but there is nobody like that in this game, there isn't even a character that I am overly fond of visually either. I really want to be able to attempt and play Sm4sh competitively, but this setback is astronomical.

I know I probably sound super whiny, but if you have any way of getting around this, please, share it. I really want to begin improving in this game, and I need a main to begin that process.
After doing matches with u, I agree that toon link is the best for you. Just saying. I think he is a good character for you

Last edited:

Pokiyena

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pokiyena
3DS FC
3497-2341-2244
I definitely need help choosing a main

I'm quite new to the smash games playing brawl when i was younger but not playing properly and i can barely remember who i liked playing

In smash 4 I've played most of the characters but none of them really stick out for me. If there is someone i like playing i get bored of them quite quickly. I like playing technical characters but i also love the quirky move sets of people like :4gaw: :4megaman::4olimar:
Any ideas?

JapanGuy

Smash Cadet
I definitely need help choosing a main

I'm quite new to the smash games playing brawl when i was younger but not playing properly and i can barely remember who i liked playing

In smash 4 I've played most of the characters but none of them really stick out for me. If there is someone i like playing i get bored of them quite quickly. I like playing technical characters but i also love the quirky move sets of people like :4gaw: :4megaman::4olimar:
Any ideas?
You love technical and quirky characters? Why don't you give :4bowserjr::4wiifit::4jigglypuff:a shot?

Pokiyena

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pokiyena
3DS FC
3497-2341-2244
You love technical and quirky characters? Why don't you give :4bowserjr::4wiifit::4jigglypuff:a shot?
I'm not a big fan of :4wiifit::4bowserjr:
but :4jigglypuff:is alright i just find it hard sometimes to get some decent combos off with her small limbs

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You are kinda sounding like my smash conscience right now lol.

Those characters (Pit, Olimar, Palutena and Shulk) are pretty much my top contenders. I feel Olimar is weaker without 6 Pikmin though, as much as I LOOOVE the Pikmin series he feels like a shadow of his former self imo.
Olimar's ridiculously potent if you put the time in. Having three Pikmin in no way diminishes him, since the coherent order makes strategising and on-the-fly tactics infinitely easier to perform.

Pit's inability to kill kinds pisses me off, is Dake Pit any better?
Nope. He arguably has a tougher time, since his side-b doesn't kill off the ceiling and his arrows aren't great for gimping.

Not really a fan of Mario, but I do play Luigi every so often so maybe that would be something to consider.
Luigi's very good. Great combo potential and racks up damage like no other.

What's the consensus of custom moves RN anyway? Are they gonna be banned from tourny's or what? Just curious.
As far as I know, EVO is running them in eight sets for each character, but it's still up in the air as to whether it'll become a recurring thing for the competitive scene overall.

iAft3rbang

Smash Cadet
NNID
iAft3rbang
Hi guys ! I'm trying to choose a secondary. My main is sheik. I'm thinking of choose ZSS as 2nd but I'm having doubts. I really like her gameplay but I feel she is like a sheik but a paralyzing gun instead of needles. I feel like ZSS won't be able to cover the MU that I struggle with sheik. I know you guys will told me to play whoever I feel confortable with and you're right. I just feel like I need something different than sheik...while I really like playing both. So much struggle. Anyone having thoughts on this? (I also play some ganon for fun heavy games).

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Hi guys ! I'm trying to choose a secondary. My main is sheik. I'm thinking of choose ZSS as 2nd but I'm having doubts. I really like her gameplay but I feel she is like a sheik but a paralyzing gun instead of needles. I feel like ZSS won't be able to cover the MU that I struggle with sheik. I know you guys will told me to play whoever I feel confortable with and you're right. I just feel like I need something different than sheik...while I really like playing both. So much struggle. Anyone having thoughts on this? (I also play some ganon for fun heavy games).
Do you want someone similar to shiek?

iAft3rbang

Smash Cadet
NNID
iAft3rbang
Do you want someone similar to shiek?
Hahaha ! That's a good question. I really like Sheik style... which is probably why I like playing ZSS... but I fear that it will screw up both characters ... I don't want to associate my sheik muscle memory with my ZSS game play...
... Meh... I guess I'll just try ZSS a couple of weeks and then decide. As far as I know... nobody can help me with this except me. I felt like I just needed to ask anyway hahaha. Thanks.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Hahaha ! That's a good question. I really like Sheik style... which is probably why I like playing ZSS... but I fear that it will screw up both characters ... I don't want to associate my sheik muscle memory with my ZSS game play...
... Meh... I guess I'll just try ZSS a couple of weeks and then decide. As far as I know... nobody can help me with this except me. I felt like I just needed to ask anyway hahaha. Thanks.
Shiek and ZSS are Speed type characters... so I suggest you try others like Sonic, Toon Link, Pac-Man, or Lucina

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I want to find a character focused mostly on agressive mid-to-close range pressure(i can't stand a lack of pokes) capable of stylish and creative combos that can kill at decent percents. so far i have come up empty handed.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Ok now... My friend got his new ssb 3ds and he has a hard time choosing what character s the best to play as.
He needs help picking :4morton:, :4wiifit:, or :rosalina:. I convinced him that rosalina is good, but he wants more details on them....
so any info about who's the better one and why?

Top Bottom