• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Major League Ruleset

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
Here is a fun way to play if things are getting stale in your practice.

The Major League Ruleset

The purpose of this ruleset is to diversify character depth. It trims the stage list to force the player to think along the lines of character matchups. The Major League Ruleset exposes players to more characters on offense and defense, and places a special restriction on character selection.

Stages: Final Destination / Battlefield / Smashville on random selection.

Characters:

First Round - a random match or coin toss. The loser must pick their character first. This round does not count as a win or a loss in the set.

Remaining rounds - alternate picking characters until the set is won. You may not use the same character twice in a set. In other words, the cooldown for picking a character is as long as the potential number of matches in the set.

For example, if you are playing a best of 3 set, then the cooldown for using that character is 3 matches. Obviously this means you can't use that character again until the next set. Introducing a cooldown gives room for variation, where you can make the cooldown less than the number of matches so you can at least get your main in more than once.

Finally, if you are playing for fun and thus doing multiple sets, then the player who won the last set picks a character first, in place of the random match.

The ruleset is named after Major League Baseball, where starting pitchers are unable to pitch on back to back days due to the strain it puts on their arms. Their cooldown is typically 5 (days).

Give it a try - knowledge of the matchups are key. Comments?

Life

Smash Hero
Y'all know how I feel about that stagelist by now so I'll complain about something else.

Why random select?

Also, the name could cause confusion with MLG. I'd suggest finding a different one.

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
Stages on random select just to take away focus from the stages and place emphasis on strategic character selection. I'm not saying to play this way all the time, but just occasionally to break up the monotony of the same 1 or 2 possible matchups normally between 2 players. It also makes you better at more characters so you have more options.

This method also allows for overpowering characters to not be banned, since they won't be playing them for the whole set.

I prefer {Final Destination, 10min, 4 stock} but you can play with whatever stage, time limit, or stock you'd like.

As for the name, I wouldn't mind the confusion heh.

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
Oh and sometimes when you pick first, you can make things interesting by picking an unexpected or lower tier character.

Your opponent will have to decide if they want to waste their main on a crappy character or pick a character in a lower tier so they can save their main for later.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I went a tourney that had this rule where you can only use a character once per set... it was a dumb experience.. people try to mindgame their main for a free win.. (this was back in 08)

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
I'm with Incom on the stages, but there's an entire forum for that :p

I don't really see what the point of this would be. It wouldn't really make you get better with a bunch of characters; it would just make you try to counter your opponents' char, who would then try to counter your char the next match, and so on...

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
that type of countering would be happening, yes - but then you are working on the weaknesses of your character and for multiple characters.

More exposure to your weaknesses can make you stronger.

This ruleset doesn't need to be used in a tournament, as it would be high risk for a player who has 1 or 2 mains.

Those with more experience with 3-5 characters would benefit more.

As for the stages, this isn't Imperial Rule here, so use whatever you want. Can you think of other rulesets that would encourage depth across more than 1 or 2 characters? That's the end goal here I think.

Top Bottom