• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Mario Match-Up Discussion Thread

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
Ive seen mario UpB breaker working well against any Juggle Shffl based combo so against pika its not an exeption but its less probable itll work since hes faster and his recovery can be a pain the first few time but as soon you grab him you can break him in half lol kinda like from 0 Dthrow-uair-dthrow(infinite dthrow....)uaircombo and nair around 80 can kill pika since hes so light on most stages xD with mid DI if...not well hes not suited for a good recovery if you can play the Mario s Fball Edge Snipah game rofl tbh since I played pikachu a long time and faced some good marios in the past mario is obviously better at everything exept speed you gotta have more mindgame at least lol

Also conserning the Dtilt from pika it can be CC until 20/30% , then it get too much stunt for mario to be able to dsmash or grab out of it on time(can work if pika spacing is horrid xD)but apart from that pika can dtilt as many time as he want or dtilt-->fsmash if he know you are CCing so youll just slide back do your dsmash and get hit by the fsmash if the pika has the spacing whatever the percent mario have. And the Dtilt is spacable against mostly everything mario has exept the f smash(stupid CCing attack I think...)

For pikachu to own mario he only need to puts him in the air by landing utilt from pressuring Nair or Dashdancing mario isnt good aainst pressuring if you ask me lol if pika menage to Dgrab you and land at least a Nair at mid or utilt at low and a Uair near the ledge you are just ****ed xD also the Dair against mario is really good if the pika player know when to OverJump his Dair ..same tactics as the OverJumped Dair from mario lol

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
yeah but the whole point is that mario doesn't need to be pressured at all by pika because we have so many defensive options that work against him/her/it.

and FH dair is reactable.

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
well it seem like pikachu beside his size has the best weight in my oppinion to be comboed and when I think about it Ganon too so it just mean that just starting with a standarts grab mean combo for everyone so whether you play fox or whatever mario has advantage as soon as he grab lol..but if he gets grabbed and juggled mario is no good xD I wish hed be like luigi and could randomly put nair in the middle of combos just for the sake of frustating people and make them hesitate before going further with a combo. I know he can get his nair out pretty quickly and Upb too but mario still can be comboed kinda easily just think about the sheik mathup lol I never really understood this even if mario when he grab can pretty much 0 to death easily with chaingrab and uair

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
kinda like...dont get hit by upair xD and watch Bair pirority pretty much like that with DK...abuse his weak sheild with late bair and dashattack lol i guess...

oh and dont get cargo Bthrown of the ledge or your ****ed

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
lol. u would think that dk would be easy to edgeguard, but that's completely wrong. even tho is recovery is just basically horizontal, it's still hard. and god i hate peach.

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
worst matchup in ages for me lol I dont really know what to do beside spamming against peach or just Play smart but peach players can spam the **** and still even you outsmart them, they have a technicall edge

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
Good **** for changing to mario Melaf you get brownie points

Yeah i never really played a series DK before so it was like "what Mario if it wasnt for me you wouldnt even be here....and you dont got that hammer *****....****" im so ashamed

Cash money mario vs peach is all i can say.....I love to just jab her ***

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
oh lol why would he quit... I mean smash is a old game for the young at heart...so does mario maining lol...It just mean that he will probably have a heartattack soon due to elderly status for quitting melee lol

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
DK is tedious to play against. Not hard, just tedious.

You beat him onstage convincingly as far as I'm concerned. Fireballs and grabs ruin most of his options (if you're in range to JC grab, there is zero risk of doing it since his spotdodge sucks). Killing him is a chore just because he's heavy, although your D-throw combos on him are excellent. Don't do anything fancy when edgeguarding him. Just chip him to death with B-airs.

Try to recover high against him since his Up-B edgeguard is pretty gay.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Mario prides himself in his aerial skill, hence the name, "Jumpman". Even though his aerial combat is his main means of attack, he has useable options when grounded.

Jigglypuff is a balloon Pokemon. This is represented by translating that image as aerial skill like Mario with his jumping prowess. Jigglypuff's key move is rest, which can easily be comboed into. However, against lighter characters like Mario, rest usually doesn't get used. Jigglypuff has less options on the ground, presumably as a balancing method.

The main point of this matchup is understanding that Mario must find a way to get a solid Forward Smash to take advantage of Jigglypuff's floatiness. Using a superior wavedash and halting momentum with the cape, the matchup doesn't stray farther than (at most) 60-40 by feeling considering the fact that the main facets of facing Jigglypuff is mainly increasing damage rapidly by jabs, back-airs and up-airs and solid prediction to use Mario's KO smashes.

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
well I played a jiggs player tonight with mario and its kinda hard to rack up percent when you have to work against his wall of pain since pretty much everyair attack get outranged by jiggs bair even fair also edgeguarding a jigss is crazy difficult the only way I can hit jiggs in the air is by overjumping Dair when he shffl something then Fastfall utilt and then uair then when you know he goes too far you nair beside that Im cluless against jiggs lol

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
more like 70/30 lol Id give that 60/40 against peach jiggs can be up smashed with a good timing/spacing to counter and outrange her walling but still I find myself gettin headaches when playing floaties xD I dunno why but you gotta get your timing right against them

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
man i'm sorry, but you gotta be crazy to think it's 60/40. when i played with Darc, he was telling me about the matchup. if jiggs' wall of pain is being done correctly, Mario cant really do anything. the best thing we got is our missed Rest punishment, but a good Jiggs player would know not to Rest in this match-up anyways, no point.
we cant gimp Jiggs, so the best thing we can do is try to use our U-Smash or F-Smash, but both of these are VERRYYY difficult to pull off if the Jiggs player is patient.
i say 70/30

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
man i'm sorry, but you gotta be crazy to think it's 60/40. when i played with Darc, he was telling me about the matchup. if jiggs' wall of pain is being done correctly, Mario cant really do anything. the best thing we got is our missed Rest punishment, but a good Jiggs player would know not to Rest in this match-up anyways, no point.
we cant gimp Jiggs, so the best thing we can do is try to use our U-Smash or F-Smash, but both of these are VERRYYY difficult to pull off if the Jiggs player is patient.
i say 70/30
kinda the same thing I posted with the only difference ; a good grammar loool

Jiggs is my worst matchup with marth even marth is doable but damn jiggs is hard as hell if you have mindgame advantage is pretty much ok but playing against somone with a patient ,technical and mind reading puff its definitely hell for me lol.

Its like having pichu trying to outrange marth.......headache wayy too much just to approach and an other troublesome situation to follow up and place a move without the risk to get wall****ed

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
if jiggs' wall of pain is being done correctly, Mario cant really do anything. 70/30
yup 60/40 in my crazy eyes. Jiggs ***** Marios that make mistakes often. yeah i agree it is bad for us but keep playing puff mains and see if you change your mind

Chival dont forget spamming fireballs

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
haha if youre good with it you can make wonder like tunder combo or some**** like that edgeguard lol I do use fireballs for most approach and follow up after failed combo to restart it again if by mistake uair blind put me in a bad position but lol fireball are mad good against space animals xD

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
yup 60/40 in my crazy eyes. Jiggs ***** Marios that make mistakes often. yeah i agree it is bad for us but keep playing puff mains and see if you change your mind

Chival dont forget spamming fireballs
idk man. i've got two good jiggs players i play against, Darc and this kid Andy, and i have loads of trouble with both. I do much better against Andy of course, seeing as he doesnt know the match-up and the only Jiggs players that are better than Darc are HBox and Mango, but discussing the match-up with Darc really put things in perspective.

also, im pretty sure Doc vs. Jigs is a very close match-up, but Doc is MUCH better equipped for the MU than Mario is. doesnt 70/30 seem most rational? it's not an impossible match-up, seeing as a good Mario can beat an inexperienced Jiggs, but it's an improbable one. i wont set 70/30 in stone just yet, maybe i just need more practice, but i'll keep you guys informed and i love hearing your opinions :)

and idk if wd oos will work vs jiggs, i feel like the 2nd b-air would hit us regardless, but i'll test it out next time im at Darc's, seems like i've tried it before though, i LOVE to wd oos.

n0ne

Smash Ace
Cape really messes up jigglys aproach game. i mean, not REAALLY but try it out, ull notice jiggs retreat because cape kinda gives jiggs while doing aerials more air height, and itll confuse jiggs because they cant really followup with anything.

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
You gotta space it good because if you dont jiggs momentum put her bair or fair into you and give extra opportunity for combo

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
if you play like a rookie jiggs will **** you which means no rolling, no charging in without a plan of hown to get out of there, and lots of fireballs. if she higher then you Uair, if she misses her bair by inches Bair her. if you grab her either Dthrow or Bthrow. when you have the advantage you have to make every hit count.

capes help in this Match up because it throw jiggs of for a moment and that all you need to get a UpB or an aerial off. UpB OoS will save your *** and since i only use whenever im in a very bad spot jiggs doesnt se it coming

at low damages dont be afraid to get hit (unless your in the air).....everyone gets hit..its how you react to getting hit is what will change the fate of the match

60/40 and im willing to debate this

Top Bottom