• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Match-up Index (Updated as of 1/14/10)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I will admit I only looked at the front page and thought 'sounds like a 40:60 to me'.

Changed it on the list. I'll change the chart once some other stuff is settled.

Let's talk about PT for a moment. I'm not really seeing how Ivy is an even. Charizard sure, but not Ivy.

Squirtle's ratio should be lowered methinks. 60:40?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You think we should re-discuss? I honestly think Mario has an edge in all 3, but I have barely any experience there.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I agree with that.

Btw, Mario has WAY too many even matches. I swear, all we need is one broken AT...

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Mario has an edge on all 3 of them like matador said.

Squirtle being the easiest. Seriously.. he's just a weaker version of Mario.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Btw, Mario has WAY too many even matches. I swear, all we need is one broken AT...
Everytime we do matchup discussion, I try to stay as objective as possible to keep from overrating Mario. Most of them seem fair and whatnot, but when I see the sheer amount of evens and advs we have...

It feels wrong :urg:

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Not really, actually. Think about the characters that Mario does have a disadvantage against -- they're all high and top tiers.

Mind you, Mario is nearly perfect in the fact that it's hard to find a truly bad match-up for him, and he goes even with most of the cast. This makes him an excellent main (and all of his disadvantages can be taken out with a secondary). It's not weird that we have a large amount of evens and slight advantages (Even then, I think Snake and Olimar are 60:40 Mario).

Mario's FLUDD and Cape can balance out match-ups very easily, but they don't cover up all of Mario's other flaws (meaning range and being mediocre in everything else).

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
ICs? They counter Mario right?

Marth, TL, and Wario are advantages too IIRC...though Marth isn't 65:35.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ice Climbers is a 40:60... although one IC main I play with regularly begs that it's an Even, lol.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say he has trouble approaching...He has to cautious, especially against a grounded Mario, or he's eating 10% from upB OOS but that just means he can't be reckless with his Bair or other approach options. A charged Fludd could also throw him off, but G&W still has one of the greatest approach methods in the game.

Mario still gets points for making it a little less safe though.
Still, you don't need FLUDD charged to stop any of his aerials or ground approaches with FIHL and if he gets in too close you can punish with a cape or Up B. The main things Mario has to balance things out is speed and the FLUDD. Also, the cape is good move since it has transcended priority and has about the same range as most of G&W's moves and that Mario's aerials generally come out faster than G&W's, especially Mario's Nair. Additionally, G&W has a hard time getting Mario off him once Mario is inside his range on the offensive. I find that the main advantages G&W has in this match-up is his recovery and KO power; G&W's recovery is very hard to gimp and he has much better KO potential in this match-up. G&W's KO power coupled with his surivability makes this match-up difficult. Anyway, I still think this match-up is 60:40 in G&W's favor.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
ICs? They counter Mario right?

Marth, TL, and Wario are advantages too IIRC...though Marth isn't 65:35.
Pfft, you'll never get any Marth main to believe that. As far as their concerned, Mario is low tier trash. I suggest you don't do that matchup, unless you want a flame war.

I suggest doing DK next.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Pfft, you'll never get any Marth main to believe that. As far as their concerned, Mario is low tier trash. I suggest you don't do that matchup, unless you want a flame war.

I suggest doing DK next.
We've already done Marth on their boards. It was all "You have to space properly and you can't be punished" and such...after awhile it got annoying and I gave up trying to teach a brickwall to dance. I want to play one of their heroes offline and just **** him, and see what they say.

We've already done DK. It's even. We combo him to hell, and cape is good for openings. If he's knocked offstage, he only recovers if the Mario screws up.

Trufax.

Edit @ Genos: Nope, they went 65:35.

Tlmab

Smash Cadet
I believe marth should be at 45:55 cause he has a better ground game and air game, but fludd f-ing up bad.

Matt07

Smash Master
Getting inside of his range is a chore, but once you do, he's very easy to juggle. Fireballs are a key to getting inside of his range/getting an opening.

I COULD see it being 40:60.

Matt07

Smash Master
40:60 for our boards, and Marth boards were debating it too be 30:70 -.-! So they just stuck us between the two.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
No, it's just the normal Dthrow combo starter, but Marth has that blindspot below him. In a sense, it IS marth specific, but it's not XD

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Why is it that Mario and Luigi are even? I thought we went over this already! Luigi's aerial attacks are better than Mario's. Luigi can also juggle him with u-tilt. And his nair...ugh. His F-smash has short range, but it's fast and it's really good at KOing. I can see FLUDD screwing up his spacing, though. Also, Luigi can break out of your juggles with nair so you have to be careful. I don't see Mario having an advantage. It's more 65-35 Luigi to me.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Why is it that Mario and Luigi are even? I thought we went over this already! Luigi's aerial attacks are better than Mario's. Luigi can also juggle him with u-tilt. And his nair...ugh. His F-smash has short range, but it's fast and it's really good at KOing. I can see FLUDD screwing up his spacing, though. Also, Luigi can break out of your juggles with nair so you have to be careful. I don't see Mario having an advantage. It's more 65-35 Luigi to me.
lol, let's discuss like last. it's suppose to be a big discussion but just leave it last. Besides luigi's mains are working on something big :dizzy: Btw Mario generally has better range than luigi, (don't ask me, ask sakurai he made mario's hitbox grow in size o.0)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Lol, I actually think this is 45:55 Luigi. I find it a bit hard to believe it's even but it's pretty close to it.

65:35 is outrageous though. You'd be saying Luigi is just as hard as Metaknight.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
60:40 Luigi, in my opinion. It's definately not an even match-up. Luigi has better killing power, an annoying to gimp recovery (if done right), that jab-shoryuken combo, and has more priority.

That said, Mario also isn't a slouch in this match-up himself. Luigi is just a bit better than he is.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Sigh, I think it's even, the trade off from Luigi's ridiculous power vs Mario's gimping skill. (Yes you can gimp Luigi's recovery, it's too predictable)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Wait, why are we discussing Luigi anyway? lol, he hasn't be discussed in Boss' thread yet.

We need to settle Pokemon Trainer.

Matt07

Smash Master
Okay, I agree with everything on PT, but 70:30 against Squirtle seems a little too much, I could settle with 60:40, I don't think we own Squirtle that hard.

Or do we?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I agree with Squirtle being 60:40

However, I'm not seeing Ivysaur being 55:45. She should be 60:40 as well. Charizard I can see though (although not much).

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
im looking at ivy at a dead 50-50. she has ****load of anti-air options against mario. squirtle gets ***** in the air by mario but has so many mobility tricks and he has the use of his water gun. pretend chazard is boozer except better recovery, better grab range and rock smash

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Can squirtle just summon water out of nowhere. Cause where the hell did that tidle wave come from with his up b? Escpecially on a stage like Smashville with no water on it!

*Summons Shiva* what now squirtle!

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Ivy vs mario is more like neutral, mario is a very good gimper and ivy has trouble against that... but you have to take her offstage first, which can be really hard, she has a very good game onstage (ground and air) and her range in some attacks like ftilt, dtilt and fair can stop a lot of approaches very safely, so she has a pretty solid " dont touch me" game
Im not saying you have to approach, but the fireball is not a pretty good proyectile ( neither razor leaf is) but you wont gimp her throwin fireballs
Maybe ill talk about charizard later
Squirtle 40-60 sounds fine to me

Top Bottom