• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Match-up Index (Updated as of 1/14/10)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
rock smash can interrupt mario's utilt/uair combos, good points about cape when it comes to aggressive rock smashing. short hop rock smash isn't a good idea here.

defensive rock smash should still be effective unless you predict it with a cape. the boulder comes out in less than 5 frames (cape comes out in 12) and if a hitbox makes contact with it, the boulder will collapse as if charizard had headbutted it. since the vast majority of mario's attacks will not be disjointed...rock smash as a "counter" move seems pretty effective to me.

as a defensive maneuver, you can't just rely on cape. it's like saying marth's counter doesn't work. counter is in response to something that you are doing, so you often cannot cape.

now as an approach, yeah you can just cape it back.

how exactly is zard's grab range not going to have an effect on this matchup lol. mario has issues with shieldgrabbers and zard is one of the best.

ivysaur's nair and bair tie with mario's nair and uair.

fireballs won't get mario anywhere either if they are being blocked. :)

i think matador's comments are right on, they can both kill each other. ivy has a spacing advantage and mario has an offstage advantage. but again, fireballs for approach aren't that effective because ivysaur's disjointed attacks cancel them out. i really think this is neutral-ish. same with zard. disadvantage squirtle. neutral overall.

Matt07

Smash Master
Charizard's Rock Smash is hard to Cape cause they always use it for defence, and it comes out fast.

Ivy has an awesome 'anti-air' game, he's hardest of the three in my opinion, and I hate his (her? Whichever you prefer) ridicilous grab range, cause shield grabbing sucks.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I never found Rock Smash hard to cape...

I found Charizard's grab range to be the hardest thing about him, but all you really have to do is not approach.

Again, I can't comment on Ivysaur.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Honestly, I had no idea about all of this PT stuff. If what Steeler's saying is true, then Ivy has a pretty good case for an even match-up. Getting on the inside vs Ivy is hard enough already WITH fireballs. Without them, I could see Ivy keeping Mario out pretty well, and killing even better. Do we know for sure that Ivy's Nair and Bulletseed interrupt Mario's combos? If so, I'm probably going 50:50.

Charizard, I still see as 60:40. Grab range and defensive rocksmash aren't too difficult to deal with. IIRC, you can't shieldgrab Mario out of SHDair, and you can easily land behind the shield safely because Dair autocancels. I'm still not sure how effective his rocksmash will be vs Mario, especially since they can only be safely used as a defense. If Charizard can't keep Mario out, punishment will be heavy.

Judge, I could've sworn I've caped DK's Giant Punch and nothing happened...he remained punching in the same direction and often taking the stock. I can also remember caping multiple Olimars during their downB and they keep moving; only taking the measly 6% instead of turning around. If cape turns around SA frames, why does this happen all the time?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Judge, I could've sworn I've caped DK's Giant Punch and nothing happened...he remained punching in the same direction and often taking the stock. I can also remember caping multiple Olimars during their downB and they keep moving; only taking the measly 6% instead of turning around. If cape turns around SA frames, why does this happen all the time?
IDK, I've done the same things and never had any problems.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
don't forget charizard's usmash out of shield, which has great range, and comes out in...

five frames

holy batman, 5 frame smash attack? i thought mk was the only guy with that kind of crap!

if mario lands behind zard after some attack, charizard can bair out of shield, which is a 7 frame attack, or rock smash backwards...which comes out in less than 5 frames. you will have to shield the attack and you'll either take a massive amount of shield damage or just get shieldpoked anyway. if sidestepping the entire attack is possible (i doubt but have never tested) you would need very precise timing.

zard has all of his spots covered OoS with grab, rock smash, bair, and usmash. so it isn't easy for mario to escape punishment from attacking zard's shield.

flamethrower is a decent approach when short hopped. caping it will just clash with the next flame burst. fludd would probably work because water beats fire. i don't know if zard would suffer WIHL (water cuz fludd isn't the only thing that can do it!!) though.

here's some words of wisdom for you guys, as a fellow EFF YOU tier main:

matchup discussions against fellow EFF ME or Godammit Sakurai tier mains are hard to determine because you rarely have any experience against them.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
don't forget charizard's usmash out of shield, which has great range, and comes out in...

five frames

holy batman, 5 frame smash attack? i thought mk was the only guy with that kind of crap!
Mario's Dsmash also comes out in 5 frames, it's not that big of a deal. Granted, it is a good OOS option but it's not like Mario can't do the same thing, plus Mario has Up B OOS shield which is pretty much like Marth's except slightly less punishable.

if mario lands behind zard after some attack, charizard can bair out of shield, which is a 7 frame attack, or rock smash backwards...which comes out in less than 5 frames. you will have to shield the attack and you'll either take a massive amount of shield damage or just get shieldpoked anyway. if sidestepping the entire attack is possible (i doubt but have never tested) you would need very precise timing.
Mario's Bair comes out in 6 frames, Uair and Dair are about 5, and Nair comes out in about 4 frames, also Mario's aerials (except Fair) are nearly lagless.

zard has all of his spots covered OoS with grab, rock smash, bair, and usmash. so it isn't easy for mario to escape punishment from attacking zard's shield.
Charizard's best OOS option is his grab and that would be the only reason why I would hesitate to atk his shield.

flamethrower is a decent approach when short hopped. caping it will just clash with the next flame burst. fludd would probably work because water beats fire. i don't know if zard would suffer WIHL (water cuz fludd isn't the only thing that can do it!!) though.
FIHL is more effective reguardless; if you've ever tried to hit directly through the FLUDD it's literally like hitting a brick wall, the same cannot be said for Charizard's fire breath. Also, the FLUDD offers some pushback even while "outprioritized" and the FLUDD cannot be reflected. Honestly though, water hitboxes are just weird altogether.

Edit: double post

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
here's some words of wisdom for you guys, as a fellow EFF YOU tier main:

matchup discussions against fellow EFF ME or Godammit Sakurai tier mains are hard to determine because you rarely have any experience against them.
Which is why we're dicussing this, no?

The fact is that a large majority of this is theory-craft. I so far am only commenting on what I know. Ivy's "anti-air" whatever has holes and it is entirely unrealistic for Ivy to be untouchable for the entire match.

Does Ivysaur has anything that enhances her offensive game? As said before, if all she has is spacing moves then she really does not win the match-up.

Charizard's OOS game is negated by the fact that Mario doesn't have to approach, and Charizard doesn't exactly have any moves that can force one either.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
ivysaur's nair combos into other aerials, utilt, and bullet seed. bread and butter move. fair is another solid spacer for ivy, it autocancels and has solid range. it also kills at 120% ish. on the ground ivysaur can pressure you into grabs with razor leaf and the tilts. the throws are solid and kill at mid 100s.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
ivysaur's nair combos into other aerials, utilt, and bullet seed. bread and butter move. fair is another solid spacer for ivy, it autocancels and has solid range. it also kills at 120% ish. on the ground ivysaur can pressure you into grabs with razor leaf and the tilts. the throws are solid and kill at mid 100s.
Ok, but how does Ivysaur's offense fair against Mario?

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Mario is just too balanced to give any of PT's Pokemon a serious advantage over him. That's where this match-up becomes in Mario's favour, but that's just my opinion. He can keep up with Squirtle, out manuver and out space Charizard, and Ivy just fails horribly offstage, a place where Mario excels. On the ground their about even I'd say (unless Nair isn't a combo breaker, in which case Mario wins the Close Combat game too.) but Ivy is just so bad offstage when put up against Mario's edgeguard game.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
bullet seed has invincibility from frames 1 through 3, and hits on frame 4.

:)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
so it is a great tactic to use to break out of some comboz and to punish stuff

duh

lol

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Off topic but, can we go ahead and make the Mario/Ness match up 100:0 in our favor?

omg Bowser's UpB OOS ***** Mario hard, I play Liquid Gen on a daily basis so I know. lol

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Mario has Up B OOS shield too you know...
Bowser's is pretty fast and in most cases very hard to punish since he can just run way during it. Did I mention it kills? I think his is the better one. I also suck with Mario's UpB OOS since I play with Tap Jump off and have to JC it from the shield.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Bowser's is pretty fast and in most cases very hard to punish since he can just run way during it. Did I mention it kills? I think his is the better one. I also suck with Mario's UpB OOS since I play with Tap Jump off and have to JC it from the shield.
Mario's comes out faster, but that's about all I can say; they both pretty much do the same thing OOS, except Bowser doesn't have to worry as much about being punished afterwards if he misses.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The PKT discussion seemed to have died, so lets come to a conclusion.

55:45 Advantage against Ivysaur
60:40 Advantage against Charizard
60:40 Advantage against Squirtle

Overall: 55:45 or 60:40 Advantage?

We should probably do Olimar next.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i think charizard should be 55:45 o:

he can do more out of shield than ivysaur, and has a good gimp game. and kills people.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Chart Updated.

-Added Wario (40:60)
-Added Bowser (50:50)
-Switched ZSS from 40:60 to 50:50
-Switched Wolf from 40:60 to 45:55
-Switched Pokemon Trainer from 60:40 to 55:45
-Switched Charizard from 55:45 to 60:40
-Switched Squirtle from 70:30(lol) to 60:40

Until I get more feedback for Pokemon Trainer's ratio from other Mario mains he'll stay as 55:45.

Let's get started on Olimar please.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Lol I agree with Kirin.

:p, not too many Mario mains on lately?
<---- Has realized that Matchup discussion is complete bull**** usually and goes out the window when the Brawl starts.

It's really losing its purpose. It's just so that characters like Pit and Marth can flaunt their theory and have something to pull SBR's ear with when the next tier list comes around. Most of the boards don't even bother to retain objectivity ANYway. It's always-

"Mario's recovery is subpar"

"Mario has trouble killing"

"Mario can't approach, we swat away fireballs lololol"

If both sides don't try to keep an open mind, it becomes a tedious mudslinging fest.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Indeed match-up discussions have little to no effect when the game starts up, but it would be nice to get this completed so we can show it off to the world, hm?

Look at all those evens...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Indeed match-up discussions have little to no effect when the game starts up, but it would be nice to get this completed so we can show it off to the world, hm?

Look at all those evens...
**** the world. They have IvanEva's chart. Let them create their opinions from there.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I'm going to see if I can get some discussion from the Pit boards since they have the match-up as 60:40 in their favor even though they agreed to 50:50 in the past.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
<---- Has realized that Matchup discussion is complete bull**** usually and goes out the window when the Brawl starts.

It's really losing its purpose. It's just so that characters like Pit and Marth can flaunt their theory and have something to pull SBR's ear with when the next tier list comes around. Most of the boards don't even bother to retain objectivity ANYway. It's always-

"Mario's recovery is subpar"

"Mario has trouble killing"

"Mario can't approach, we swat away fireballs lololol"

If both sides don't try to keep an open mind, it becomes a tedious mudslinging fest.
Then is it safe to assume we can be accused of this with the Ness discussions? :\

Top Bottom