• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Video Collection

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Nice use of the FLUDD Sensei. We need to play some offline friendlies sometime before I leave for my mission.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Good hustle, mah dood. We just played yesterday XD

Nice quality too. Thanks for putting them up.

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.
good **** for seagull for uploading these for me..

you may now put me on blast

other vids (not of me tho obv) are in the thread... you should be able to get there if you click the little arrow on the quote box

2fast

Smash Journeyman
It's been awhile Mario's. I actually have a video which may be of interest for you guys :D.

GIMR (Falco & G&W) vs. 2fast (Mario)

Here's another match I played at the same tourney: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzYAt7XknCM
I played Mario last round in that match but I played so bad that round though :( up-b could have stopped so many things from that ROB but after GIMR I guess I got brain fart lol. I don't even look like the same Mario in this round but no johns. Next tourney I'll bring myself back better then ever.

I've also seen wordof DTM4. I'd happily donate some clips but I lost my SD card at the tourney I just came from so I have no replays >.<.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Needs more fireballs.

Kinda amused D-Smash was never used either. Great way to get Link off the stage for an easy gimp with FLUDD.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALOT0gtASNo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3f-YF21Lzg&feature=related

I kind of just wing this match-up, since it's link.

What are some tools I'm not using that really seem to beast on Link? One thing I know I was missing was caping projectiles, otherwise I don't know enough about Mario to judge :|
Vs Link can be summed up like this. Walk. Powershield. AutoJab or D-air when you're close. Juggle him a lot with U-smash. Rinse and repeat until you see an opportunity to kill him with D-smash/F-smash. Alternatively edgeguarding him with FLUDD/Cape/weak N-air can do the job too.

Anyhow I felt you spotdodged a bit recklessly in situations where AutoJabbing was clearly the better option. It's especially good to autoJab in case he spotdodges. Some of your approaches were a little careless when you could have walked more.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Here's one of my sets from KTAR6 v Eazy.

Omari :mario2: vs Eazy :dk2:

Feel Free to critique/comment & enjoy! Skip to 0:50, C-Stick messed up I'm not sure why (I usually check it at the character select screen).

steep

Smash Lord
Hey Omari I know this MU REALLY WELL since my roommate mains DK and I've played a few other DK's like Ripple, etc. I just thought I'd critique! Ha Ha

Just a general comment, in my experience it's more profitable to fireball camp for a while against DK, at least until 1 of 2 things happen: 1. They get hit by a fireball and that gives you a way inside or 2. They get in to a rhythm and then you can run up -> powershield and get inside with a grab/utilt/jab. Ok on to the critique!

0:23 - I know you said to skip to 0:50, but I saw this and wanted to say something! When you utilt DK at low percent, jab. It works. EVERY TIME (as long as they weren't in the air when you utilted, and even then it works sometimes). Utilt to jab to grab is nice and can be a good combo starter.

0:28 - Nice shield to grab against his up b. Very smart! You can also punish with a smash when he is at higher %.

1:17 - One thing that seems to get both you and me is trying to run up and shield against DK. and then we just get LOLgrabbed. I think when that happens we as mario's should learn to OoS upb or something to counter that.

2:55 - In my experience, up b will keep that dthrow to fsmash/dsmash/neutral b from connecting on Mario. Really nice job on the remainder of that first stock btw!

3:05 - Also, when you are on the ledge it's generally a good idea to just plank for a bit, or come up with a rising fireball. DK's smashes are ridiculous, and they are relatively safe for him to throw out while you are on the ledge. My advice is to go over him or try to fireball him to stop a smash from connecting.

4:32 - That ground pound is stupid good. BUT! If you don't try to approach it at all and just fireball and then approach, it will quickly turn that move in to a weakness for DK.

8:36 and others - When DK dthrows you, don't try to come back in. Just get away from him and fireball. If you come back in with a nair, you are just asking for a dsmash, fsmash, or monkey punch to the face. :D

9:00 and others - Whenever DK is coming towards the ground, toss a fireball where he is going to land. Then run up and grab, jab, rar bair, etc. He can't do anything to avoid that fireball except jump, and most DK's I've seen/played seem to like to land with an attack or an air dodge. Fireball beats both of those things in this situation.

Overall, I would say more up b out of shield, and more fireball camping. Force DK to approach, because Mario has a much easier time getting inside that way. When you let DK play defensive, you won't be able to get in as well for those combos. DK has too many good spacing tools (ftilt, dtilt, and bair) for you to get in easily. Also, as A2Z and others have mentioned before, stutter-stepped fsmash works well after they whiff/you powershield their fsmash.

One last thing, you don't normally want to try to cliffhanger DK unless you grabbed the ledge after they started their up b (Unless you are on Halberd, Delfino, Lylat, or some other stage where if he doesn't grab the ledge he will end up under the stage). Just go for a fireball -> cape/nair (or just cape if you think you can land it) or something like that. Fireball will stop the up b and you can then go in for the gimp.

You do a good job of adapting in game and not being too predictable. I like your style man, and I hope this critique helps!

Omari

Smash Journeyman
[COLLAPSE="Important:"]Granted, I do play play Will, Cable & Dr. G regularly so you may be asking yourself (& me possible), "why didn't you win"? Fact is, I didn't & Eazy bested me @ ktar6 which I respect.

Mario isn't free (& I'm damn sure my Mario's not free:mad:) & I'm going to keep fighting to prove this to myself (yes there's many weaknesses he has as a character in brawl but I already admitted those to myself & am further improve on transforming them into strengths). One of my main focuses is what are the ways his tools should be used (getting closer & closer to the ideal) instead of debating why/how how bad they suck.

Trust me, I've been advised by majority of the smash community to quit (drop) Mario which I won't. Even though winning is a high priority, it doesn't exceed having fun.[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Pros & Cons regarding critique with my own:"]0:28-Do: You're supposed to grab enemies who abuse super or hyper armor.
Don't: You can't grab enemies who're invincible though.

1:17-Pro: Agreed, didn't respect DK (max range). I'm not sure if you notice but @ 1:20 react by pivot grabbing Eazy (why? Pivot grabbing catches exposed limbs so it's the safest way to zone against DK).
Con: Disrespect DK.

2:55-Pro: Agreed, air dodging after throws asks for anti air. *Nice setup by Eazy & I believe he read my air dodge from 1:10 (notice my shield when he d-threw?). When critiquing myself, I love asking questions like, "where did he/she read that from" (especially when I watch/play people like Boss/Kirin/Famous).
Con: Make same mistake Omari did in this video.

3:03-Pro: Eazy forced my recovery to ledge (meaning he had a free kill due to RCO lag). There's good tactics (1. cape 2 stall/prevent getting ledge hogged. 2. fire ball/F.L.U.D.D. DK to prevent getting gimped (reposition with F.L.U.D.D.) 3. Double jump+air to prevent dying early.) I did.
Con: There's 2 errors on my behalf (1. I double jumped to the ledge instead of SJP when there wasn't a risk (shout-outs to Big Lou for helping me better understand saving double jump until necessary better at MLG Raleigh. 2. Chose a ledge option too early as you said. Simply staying on the ledge would've definitely been better until I knew what he was attempting. Not to forget cape stall (either) refreshes my frames. ) however.

4:32-Pro: Didn't repeat error, I'm not sure if you noticed parts 4:36 or 4:46. :awesome:?
Con: Didn't roll away (Shout-outs to Will & another option: jump after second pound>fire ball>anything). Honestly, I attempted to SDI towards him & d-air.

8:36-Pro/Con: Generally, ground attack>airs due to majority of them being anti airs so you're right (agreed) but it worked xD, thanks.

9:00-Pro:I'll start utilizing fire balls even better (adding landing traps to my arsenal), thanks![/COLLAPSE]
[collapse="Extra info"]Generally, you'd be right but after playing Will so much there's no forcing. You have to get in or zone (grab limbs, physical attacks) with pivot grabs/water!
Con: No Cons :D

5:57-I lost the 1st game when I made the wrong choice (d-smash) for a punish. Even though d-smash hits on frame 5, does a good the most amount of shield stun I should have instead ssfs (shutter step front smash).

Isn't your character still invincible for 20 frames after they let go of the ledge (not saying I'm right, but I'd like a more detailed explanation)? U-air covers free space @ ledge (9:30-would've put Eazy back into the same position if I free fall u-aired instead of double jumping>u-air.)

Why would I n-air? Generally, u-air>n-air (u-air beats n-air). D-air>u-air generally but why would I d-air DK offstage? :confused: Fire ball from high angles/not tipping cape @ DK's hands/feet was my 2 errors here regarding gimps.

Thanks4critique![/collapse]

ThatGuy

Smash Master
The most glaring issue I see here is your edge/recovery game. Too often you would use an edge attack, or edge get up in place. You were begging to get Fsmashed there for the whole set. Also, you don't seem to like taking the edge; if you were recovering and had the choice between falling to the edge or double jumping to try and go over/through the opponent, you would jump. This becomes really predictable, and for the most part leaves you outrageously vulnerable. I know the edge is a sucky place to be but it's good to be comfortable everywhere.

Also, refine your Fsmash decisions a bit. You never seem to stutter step it, and I'm not sure why. You use it at predictable times, when your opponent is in KO range, grounded, and within range. I know it sounds obvious to use Fsmash at a time like that, but the key attribute that's missing is 'vulnerable'.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@TG: Are you suggesting that even though ledge<ground that I should choose the ledge because it's less punishable (vulnerable)?

*If I were to answer my question, I'd suggest risking recovering on stage when enemy isn't nearby & recovering to ledge when enemy clearly is in punishing distance. Agree?

What did you mean by refine your f-smash decisions? Do you mean using when you know you can hit?

You said,
You never seem to stutter step it, and I'm not sure why. You use it at predictable times, when your opponent is in KO range, grounded, and within range. I know it sounds obvious to use Fsmash at a time like that, but the key attribute that's missing is 'vulnerable'.
Why would you shutter step f-smash (ssfs)? What are the situations that you would consider risking (using) it?

I'll admit, I'm pretty bad @ killing (don't blame Mario people) so I'd appreciate as much helpful suggestions setting up my enemy for kills. The way I believe it's supposed to be done is playing patient until enemy makes an error then slap em'. But then you'd be the dependent factor. Catching their fall (hypothesizing)/gimping/combos are reliable ways I know how to kill (excel @).

steep

Smash Lord
Just a general note about this MU, I find that it's easy to let down when you feel like you have the advantage/lead in any situation. The fact is, I think Mario should always play as if you are at a disadvantage against DK because one smash or monkey punch can bring the game full circle very quickly!

As for invincibility on the ledge, yes you do have invincibility but if you aren't careful as you try to cliffhanger a DK their up b will either stage spike you (if it strong hits or you are at a high %) or it will knock you off the ledge and you will be under the stage, under a DK that has ledge invincibilty frames and a lot of options in this position. Also, your uair won't necessarily connect before they grab the ledge since DK's arms are long lol, and then you are fastfalling while he is in a prime position for a spike/cliffhanger. However, it's not impossible for uair from the ledge to work, just difficult to time. If you can do it consistently, then bravo! It's just not always worth the risk in my opinion.

As for why you could nair, a sour spot nair that ends while DK is still in the animation from being hit (hitstun) won't knock him too far away but will still let you move before he can, allowing you to follow up with fireball/uair/spike (maybe, although he may be able to up b first. spike is slow. lol), or my personal suggestion and probably the most reliable in this situation for a gimp, CAPE! lol Just drop from above him with a sour spot nair and follow up with cape. It works I swear! :D

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'm willing to comb through this vid with you in the Xat if you like, Omari. I've got a few suggestions that may prove useful to you. I'll be in there off and on between now and 8 if you're interested.

Btw, ThatGuy is right about choosing the ledge over landing onstage from time to time.

Your worst option is ALWAYS the option that the opponent expects you to do. Likewise, your best option is the one that they don't think you'll do, which is likely one that you haven't chosen before against them.

That's the issue with always choosing the safest, "best" option in certain situations. We're not high tier, so our best options still leave us vulnerable to some things. The only safety is in remaining unpredictable and forcing the opponent to have to decide quickly on how to react.

We have average airspeed, we fall at an average rate, and we're moderately weak from below. Sometimes drifting to the ledge is your best bet.

:phone:

ThatGuy

Smash Master
@TG: Are you suggesting that even though ledge<ground that I should choose the ledge because it's less punishable (vulnerable)?

*If I were to answer my question, I'd suggest risking recovering on stage when enemy isn't nearby & recovering to ledge when enemy clearly is in punishing distance. Agree?

What did you mean by refine your f-smash decisions? Do you mean using when you know you can hit?

You said,

Why would you shutter step f-smash (ssfs)? What are the situations that you would consider risking (using) it?

I'll admit, I'm pretty bad @ killing (don't blame Mario people) so I'd appreciate as much helpful suggestions setting up my enemy for kills. The way I believe it's supposed to be done is playing patient until enemy makes an error then slap em'. But then you'd be the dependent factor. Catching their fall (hypothesizing)/gimping/combos are reliable ways I know how to kill (excel @).
Matador pretty much hit the nail on the head, for essentially everything (concerning your recovery and fsmash decision making).

As for the stutter step, I don't know, I just think having a greater range at the risk of hitting the sourspot at close range is better than non stutter stepped. If you whiff the fsmash it's going to get punished anyway, stuttered or not. Maybe someone can enlighten me on why you wouldn't want to stutter step...

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@Steep: Yes, I agree with you not having to approach once you have the lead.

Points/facts aren't about what you think, it's not even what you know but it's what you can prove?

DK was close/above me while I was hanging on the ledge so I don't understand why I wouldn't free fall>u-air him. I also agree if DK's in snap range to the ledge then u-air wouldn't be a good choice but that wasn't the case here. The next best way to counter that is by cape which requires a certain range. Mario can cape DK's feet or hands (tipped if possible) without trading.

O I C. You're talking about if DK is already in the SK (Spinning Kong) animation, correct? If he's @ high %, sure...n-air him @ an angle. The reward isn't worth the risk otherwise.

@Med: Feel free 2 PM me/post errors you believe I made & can improve. (Won't be able to be on Xat because I'm going to a mvc3 session tomorrow afternoon & I'm teaching (working) a class Sat).

@TG: I do see where you're coming from but I believe it's one of those things that you have to know from exp.

@Mario boards: I believe my C-Stick stops responding randomly. Is this normal (if so, how does this happen)? Can C-Sticks be replaced? I believe I need to purchase a new NGCC & can anyone help me out on where to purchase a good1?

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
You might want to try fixing it up first. Did it with my controller recently and it's working better.

Nothing is wrong with the C-stick itself but the insides are probably just worn.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Is there a smasher that's great with re-furbishing NGCC? I'd appreciate if someone could explain to me how to fix NGCC this way I'll know how to solve this problem if it happens again. Thanks Fire!!

BTW: I'm on XaT now Med/everyone if you'd like to critique or talk. =D

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Well first you'd need a Triwing screwdriver which is like 99 cents on eBay. When you open it up you can basically pop the C-stick (and analog stick for that matter) open and add vaseline on the inside. That's assuming that the C-stick is unresponsive because it's worn. I'm betting there's a few videos on YouTube.

It's also worth noting that there are different types of GC controllers, one metal based and one plastic based. The older ones are more metal on the inside while the newer ones are plastic. The older metal sticks seem to break quicker from my experience.

If the C-stick being worn is not the problem, I'd still recommend opening it up for cleaning the insides and if you want, spray painting. I'm also pretty sure at least one person in your area can help you out. You should ask someone to bring a screwdriver to that tournament you're going to.

ThatGuy

Smash Master

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@Mario boards: Recently, I heard the white NGCC (play-Asia) has slower reaction time then the original NGCC. Confirmed?

@Fire!: Never purchased from eBay before, ya know? "No, I don't know..." :(

@TG: Thanks

ThatGuy

Smash Master
@Mario boards: Recently, I heard the white NGCC (play-Asia) has slower reaction time then the original NGCC. Confirmed?

@Fire!: Never purchased from eBay before, ya know? "No, I don't know..." :(

@TG: Thanks

Practically all the Melee veterans here in Montreal (chet, Kage, Vwins, Bam) use this controller and have had no complaints thus far. If it indeed is slower (due to a longer cable length, maybe), the delay would be so minute it would be very hard to notice.

steep

Smash Lord
@Steep: Yes, I agree with you not having to approach once you have the lead.

DK was close/above me while I was hanging on the ledge so I don't understand why I wouldn't free fall>u-air him. I also agree if DK's in snap range to the ledge then u-air wouldn't be a good choice but that wasn't the case here. The next best way to counter that is by cape which requires a certain range. Mario can cape DK's feet or hands (tipped if possible) without trading.

O I C. You're talking about if DK is already in the SK (Spinning Kong) animation, correct? If he's @ high %, sure...n-air him @ an angle. The reward isn't worth the risk otherwise.

Not necessarily talking about this specific situation anymore, but would soft ledge release (tapping away from the ledge instead of down) and then back airing DK's up b work if they are not above you? I agree with you on all you are saying. :D Just trying to think of even more options. Not saying uair was a bad choice. :D The only way I could see falling and uairing being a problem was if he grabbed the ledge instead of you hitting him with uair, in which case you would be in a bad spot (below him off stage while he is hanging on the ledge, invincible).

And yes you are right, that's what I was talking about. But I think it can work at low % if you buffer cape out of the nair. I could be wrong though. I'll test it some time and let you know.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@TG: Definitely purchasing a white NGCC, thanks.

@Steep: Honestly, it all comes down to number crunching (frame data)/decision making (most beneficial)/getting job done (doing what works).

Reasons why: Free fall>b-air=great option when DK's recovering below while Mario's on ledge
1. Puts them back into same position (tight spot)
2. Additional damage
3. 20 frame invincibility (enough time)
4. Faster than u-airs whole animation (yes, u-air hits on frames 4 but you have understand that hit on becomes longer during whole animation & b-air hits on frame 6=still reasonable regarding start-up/active/recovery)
5. Excluding b-air being linear (straight), you still have the option to control angles you're attacking from

Reasons why: Free fall>u-air=great option when DK's recovering below while Mario's on ledge
1. Puts then back into same position (tight spot)
2. Additional damage
3. Fastest (excluding SJP which isn't a harsh punish) air
4. 20 frame invincibility (enough time)
5. Since u-air is arc based (best covers all possible angles/options), it's also dynamic because you can put yourself in a better position while worsening theirs

*The best option when you find yourself in this situation=cape DK's hands or feet v Spinning Kong (SK) because one slap=a stock. F.L.U.D.D. works well after cape (especially when aimed up). Jus slap em'...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You gotta crouch more against DK. It's just really really good once you train him to stay on the ground so that he has to deal with your fireballs and ground game directly. It's when you have him conditioned to play on the ground with Mario where he becomes much easier to bait into F-smash for example.

Also, D-air and DA more to trap his landings. These are some of the most reliable tools in the game to catch airdodges, and the latter sets up combos at high percents. Against DK, I'll actually D-throw -> DA him when I read his airdodge, since I can get free regrabs after the DA.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@A2Z: Yo
[COLLAPSE="Questions:"]1. What options (strengths) are we taking away from DK when crouching?

2. What are your thoughts about high angle (shot from full hop height+) fire balls?

3. May you explain how DK becomes simpler to bait using f-smash or ssfs? Please don't give examples (we don't want fish, we want fishing poles), I'd rather you explain the formula (how you actively think about baiting grounded enemies).

4. Matador explained to me in Xat why d-airing DK's landing is useful. He also explained how sh d-air>dj n-air works on shields. May you explain it to me too so I fully understand? Thanks

5. At what other times should we use QDA (Quick Dash Attack)? Mainly for landing traps/killing/setups/combos@high%?

6. Can't DK (other specific characters) clash fire balls? How can we gain the upper hand after bait the clash? What gives us the most advantage (frame)?[/COLLAPSE]

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
DK's main tool that gives Mario a headache is B-air, since you don't want to challenge it, especially in the air, or when dashing towards him. When you teach him not to do rising B-airs, you have much more freedom to do fireballs and get in. Getting hit by a F-tilt is not usually that big of a deal in this matchup, and his F-tilt is not that safe on block, and you could potentially F-smash him if you powershield his F-tilt, or F-smash him if you cause him to whiff F-tilt.

Fullhop Fireballs are not something I would rely on in this matchup too often in case he B-airs through it, although they work alright to bypass his ground game, which you want to condition him to use more by crouching. Usually you don't need to commit that much to shield poke DK with a fireball. Grounded or SH fireballs are generally the way to go. However platform camping him on Brinstar or SV is very effective (respect the B-air, but fireball him outside of that range).

Hmmmm, how I bait people with F-smash. Honestly I can't really give a surefire answer for that one. Sometimes you'll be lucky enough to react to a mistake that you can punish. Sometimes it's as simple as throwing out a F-smash once you know you're in range for it and then see to it that the risk/reward is in your favor (note that DK has trouble punishing F-smash on block). But anyhow my point about DK is that his ground game is rather whiff punishable. If he sticks out a F-tilt that whiffs, it's not hard to F-smash him for it just as long as you have yourself spaced for that opportunity. Anything else he does on the ground can be used as a free opportunity to approach for the most part. You don't want to force the kill with F-smash of course. It's perfectly fine to use it as a situational damage dealer and then wait for the kill at around 155 or so when he has to get up from the edge or something. Also sometimes you can condition people into patterns after fireballs that you can bait with F-smash. In general F-smash is one of those moves you need to be really observant to manage properly.

Anyhow SH D-air -> N-air is often pretty good at snuffing most out of shield options provided they aren't shieldgrabbing you. There is about a 13 or so frame gap in between the final hit of D-air and the N-air. Not all characters have a convenient out of shield option that is that fast besides grab, so it can be difficult for some characters to react to this in time.

If your fireballs are well spaced, you can usually get in with Jabs, F-tilt, or grabs before DK can really do anything back to you. If they aren't and he's trying to clash your fireballs, don't rush in and see if you can maintain good positioning for a potential F-smash or B-air oos. If he's facing forwards, fullhop aerials can be good poking options that are hard for him to punish on reaction. Crouch at midrange if he's in the air or you think he will do a rising B-air and if you powershield or duck under his SH rising B-air it's a free punish of your choice.

Top Bottom