• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Marth Question and Answer Thread

Novaseer

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I play this match-up super lame. It's true that airdodge can put Marth's F-tilt at a disadvantage, but the Jigglypuff has to be precise with it, and depending on where she is in her jump the dodge will force her into 22 frames of landing lag. I'll also mix in short hop F-airs to keep Jiggly guessing on the correct distance to air dodge. Rolling won't give Jigglypuff an advantage against Marth's jab unless she rolls before the jab itself, in which case I feel it's my fault for using bad reactions. But just forcing Jiggs to rely on dodges puts Marth at the advantage and lets him predict with smash attacks.

Oh, and a note about jab. You have to hit with the tipper or else it's unsafe on shield or even hit at low percents. If you're uncomfortable doing that, you can use D-tilt instead against ground approaches, but it lets Jiggs shorthop aerial over it with things like D-air.

Last edited:

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
Hi, this is my first post so I'd like to start by saying if this has been dealt with in another thread or you have a video reference please point me in that direction. Thanks in advance!

To the main point, I'm trying to main Marth in smash 4 and my friends play a lot of projectile characters, specifically Pac-Man and Zelda. We play a few matches and I can beat them when they start getting into patterns and the like. But I'm talking about a general approach to characters like these so I can better learn to deal with them in For Glory or a local tourney or something along those lines.

Thanks, and I'm happy to finally join this awesome community!

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ Cazdon Cazdon ! First of all welcome to Smashboards. I moved your post to the Marth Question and Answer Thread that is pinned to our character board. In the original post in this thread, there is an area where we talk about dealing with projectiles. I also link to Emblem Lord's Thread where he talks about that in the Dealing with Projectiles section.

Last edited:

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
Who are some good marth players right now in smash 4? any notable players using him?

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
guys is better to go on marth c stick set up on tilts or on Smash?

I largely prefer having them on smash for Marth. The only tilts I use liberally are up and down tilts, which are really easy for me to do right away even with tap jump on. I throw out a lot of forward smashes, down smashes, and up smashes for punishes or reads, the cstick helps that most. I also find aerial mobility to be fine with just cstick on smash, since I use A for most of my aerials, even short hop up air or falling up air with tap jump as well.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
guys is better to go on marth c stick set up on tilts or on Smash?
Hey there @ Seleir Seleir ! I moved your post here to the Marth Question and Answer Thread. You can ask any question you have regarding Marth's gameplay here as well as answering any that other users may have. Regarding your question, this is something that is personal preference from a particular user. I use Smash attacks myself but I am sure others use tilts. You need to play around with both options and decide which one you like the most.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
Hey there @ Seleir Seleir ! I moved your post here to the Marth Question and Answer Thread. You can ask any question you have regarding Marth's gameplay here as well as answering any that other users may have. Regarding your question, this is something that is personal preference from a particular user. I use Smash attacks myself but I am sure others use tilts. You need to play around with both options and decide which one you like the most.
yeah ty sorry for that, i dont know if i want use tilts or smash because marth have good aerials so tilts is better but also is so hard to do smash with A and marth`s smashes are so coll

Andromon58

Smash Apprentice
@ Seleir Seleir You should definitely be using tilts AND smashes, his aerials really have nothing to do with using one over the other... I would suggest you watch a video (there are tons on youtube) on how to perform a normal smash attack, they're super easy to do once you've got the hang of it.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
yeah ty sorry for that, i dont know if i want use tilts or smash because marth have good aerials so tilts is better but also is so hard to do smash with A and marth`s smashes are so coll
A lot of us are just used to having smash on the c-stick, because that's how it was on previous games. It also had an advantage because it executed smash attacks without any charge, and therefore, doing the fastest smash attacks possible-- which is important in competitive play. In Smash 4 however, you still charge when you use the c-stick, but if you have your basic motor skills, you SHOULD flick the c-stick fast enough so that it's not of major concern anyway.

I play Brawl sometimes with my non-competitive friends who don't want to buy Smash 4, so all the more reason for me to use smash c-stick.
Also because Toon, one of my mains is generally just better with the c-stick.
Again, everything boils down to personal preference, like locuan said.

A lot of people switched to tilt c-stick because it helps your retain your aerial momentum better if you like c-sticking aerials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jhHYdFJOQ&ab_channel=ZeRo
Also, because of the craze with perfect pivoting a few months ago, which didn't really work out in the end.

lol oh god. The question was pretty much already answered earlier. ._.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I have some insight on fighting Jigglypuff.

First a foremost don't bring shield breaker out ever until you're ready to break the shield you've been secretly baiting for so long. And do it at the weirdest times (i.e., ledge drop > double jump > SB or Dtilt > SB or SH Fair > SH or DB 1 and 2 > SB or random turn-around/b-reverse SB). We all know what happens next (after broken jigglyshield).

Second if you find Jigglypuff trying to glide over you with her really short initial jump this is weird up smash comes in. Like if she jumps OoS over you, get in your shield (acting scared) and do a quick OoS Upsmash as a prediction (like she will be directly above me in 10-30 frames). Or when she's already in the air and she double jumps past you within Upsmash range.

And obviously Ftilt and Utilt have great range and are just overall reliable for keeping her away.

One more thing, her back airs have some start up lag and do 14 damage (really high for this game). Counter these and she might die pretty early.

I still think this is a good matchup for Marth, and I have a friend who is really good with her and just hates fighting Marth.

Last edited:

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
so guys i dont understand is better cstick on tilts or on smash?

Davis

Smash Rookie
How do I not get punished like hell if my opponent doges my dolphin slash?

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
How do I not get punished like hell if my opponent doges my dolphin slash?
That's tough. Make them think you're going somewhere while falling but go the other way. If you're above the ledge, go to it with a fast fall until you're right above it (or you'll fall past it).

I did Marth vs Marth (brawl vs sm4sh) range and kill power comparisons recently. Dolphin slash has wayyyy less range. I try to avoid it.

Last edited:

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
Been trying to use my nair a lot more lately, but I can't seem to get the hits correctly. I tend to mostly do it when the foe is in the air or just as a quick surprise attack when I'm close by. Anybody got any tips on getting the hits.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ Spoice Spoice ! Welcome to the Marth character boards. I moved your post to the Marth Question and Answer Thread. Please utilize this thread for any gameplay questions you may have. Im sure other users will be able to help you out!

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
How can you tell you hit with the tipper? Also, what differences are there other than damage and knockback?

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
How can you tell you hit with the tipper? Also, what differences are there other than damage and knockback?
Usually there's a quick freeze once you do an attack, or a sound plays I believe. And I'm pretty sure damage and knockback are the only differences.

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
Usually there's a quick freeze once you do an attack, or a sound plays I believe. And I'm pretty sure damage and knockback are the only differences.
So there's more hitlag and a different sound? Is there a different animation or a sparkle or anything? And is the knockback applied in a different direction, or is it just stronger?

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
So there's more hitlag and a different sound? Is there a different animation or a sparkle or anything? And is the knockback applied in a different direction, or is it just stronger?
Not hitlag, it just feels like the game stops for a second, like how when you would get Zelda's sweetspot in brawl the game would freeze a bit, imagine that but quicker. The knockback is stronger, not different directions and the animation is the same, and not any sparkle, unless you got them at a high ko to kill them, then you see that red lightning.

I know he's been nerfed an all, but considering Brawl was fairly slow, Marth feels a lot better to control in this installment. Other than dancing blade, I feel like his moves feel easier to land, at least for me that is. Anyone else feel the same way?

Last edited by a moderator:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
"Brawl is a bad game and therefore Marth in Brawl is worse"
I am yet to understand why people are so vocal against Brawl.

To answer your question: Fair was badly nerfed, and it was his prime move, so no, he's no way better than in Brawl

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ Spoice Spoice ! I moved your post to the Marth Question and Answer thread. As I mentioned before, please use this thread to ask any questions you have regarding Marth's gameplay.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

To answer your question: Fair was badly nerfed, and it was his prime move, so no, he's no way better than in Brawl
How are we expected to read your red text?

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper

Brawl was my first Smash game and I love it, I just think Marth is easier to use in Smash 4.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I'm kinda lazy to browse the forum and go through all the guides right now but eventually definitely will, is there a video showcasing some common combos/set ups?

Another thing is the down air, how can you use that effectively to spike? I've een practicing using it lately and I've succeeded in spiking a few times here and there (and god how satisfying that is.) but it's like hit 1, miss 10, and then hit the next one.. really inconsistent.

Last question, are there any proven true combos for Marth? I used to think dthrow to uair/fair/bair depending on DI was a true combo but they can air dodge before I hit them, and if I wait for them to finish dodging and then hit I would have landed by then, mostly.

How are we expected to read your red text?
You hightlight it.

Hahex

Smash Rookie
After getting a nice shield break with SB, what's the best follow up for the kill? Another fully charged SB or a F-Smash? Also, what's the best follow up for when the opponent's on a low percentage?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
After getting a nice shield break with SB, what's the best follow up for the kill? Another fully charged SB or a F-Smash? Also, what's the best follow up for when the opponent's on a low percentage?
Personally I usually go for a tipper shieldbreaker just because it's easier to space than an Fsmash. If they're at a high percentage though where even a non-tippered, fully chagred Fsmash kills, then I just charge it up.

As for the best follow-up I believe dthrow to aerials is a good one, other than that you'll have to use nair/fair for spacing, and try to catch opponents in an aerial string if you can.. wish i could help more than that but that's all I can say about it tbh @_@

Wes762

Smash Cadet
NNID
wes762
Does anyone know a good distance for tippers? I can never seem to get a tipper off.

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
Does anyone know a good distance for tippers? I can never seem to get a tipper off.
the distance for tippers is the very end of his hitbox. you just have to play more to learn the hitbox for each move and space them accordingly. you can pretty much tip the opponent even if they're standing right on top of you if you use the right move. ftilt/fair tippers are pretty easy to land and get down since they cover a large area infront of marth.

My question: I assume most of us have seen the flashy "sh DB1 > uair", where you can legit combo from a uair close to the ground with either utilt or an aerial. my question is, how reliable and unsafe is connecting sh DB1 into uair? it's not a true combo and i can't tell what the frame advantage is on block for DB1 because most people I play don't react to it correctly, thinking i'm going to go through with the full dancing blade combo all of the time or something. But the damage output from confirming it is quite good for marth, an easy 25 % or more if you follow up with something, so i want to know if this is reliable or not.

Flan76

Smash Rookie
What attacks can I utilize to hit people on ledges with Marth, if there are any??

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
What attacks can I utilize to hit people on ledges with Marth, if there are any??
Down tilt, or jump off and do a back air. Those are the ones I use the most. Down tilt is probably one of Marth's best moves due it being such a good move to poke and set up for a tipper kil.

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Just picked up Marth the other day, and I'm really enjoying how he plays and he may turn out to be a really good secondary for my Main.
So I came here to ask, what are some of the basic things I should know as Marth player that all Marth players should know?
Like grab combos/follow ups, unfavorable matchups, OoS options, most reliable kill option(s), ect. ect.

Deviruki

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deviruki.exe
How do I fight a good sheik? It seems the only moves I can get in are d-tilt and jab. I keep getting juggled with throws and fairs. This matchup seems impossible.

EDIT: Just beat him twice and he disconnected. I'll post a replay for feedback.

Last edited:
Top Bottom