• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Meowth is Out of the Bag!

Talendime

Smash Ace
The. Last. Straw.

The Five Pokemon Striving for the supposed last playable character slot.

Munchlax. Deoxys. Meowth. Lucario. Gardevoir.

Munch, Deoxys, Meowth, and Gardevoir was confirmed as Pokeballs.

He is totally hinting at Lucario being Playable. We all know it. LUCARIO FOR BRAWL TOMORROW.

Aww I'll feel so sad for you guys if he isn't.. :(
Personally I don't care, but you guys all seem to REALLY want him.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
We already have 4 playable pokémons. Jigglypuff and Mewtwo would make SIX. That's MORE than enough. Nintendo has other franchises out there.

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
^Eh?

Anyway, think about it.
There are 3 points brought up by Lucario supporters.
He was in a movie
He's fighting-type
He's popular

First, the movie. It's no secret that Lucario's biggest asset is that he was the star of a movie, making him a semi-major part of the anime. It's the whole reason you guys have a for the "Lucario For Brawl" thread versus the "Gengar for Brawl" thread.
Now, he is a prominent pokemon because of this, but lets take a look. Meowth was deconfirmed today, and who better represents the Anime besides Pikachu? His rival, Meowth. If Lucario deserves to be in, wouldn't Meowth deserve it more? He's in nearly every episode of the anime, and is a much more developed character. Yet he's only a Pokeball. If Meowth, one of the most prominent characters in the Anime, and probably the second most prominent Poke'mon, doesn't make it, what makes you think Lucario will?

Second, the type. Fighting type does not a shoo-in make. None of the previous Playable Pokemon have been fighting. He's got an interesting combination for sure, but does that have anything to do with Brawl? No.

Third, his popularity. I'll tackle the in-game usage popularity versus the real-life anime popularity (See "Movie" for why his Anime popularity is crap. There are many many pokemon more frequently used than Lucario, in game. Wobbuffet is a pokemon featured in almost all competitive teams, but I don't think he'll be getting in.

"But Lucario is the best possibility for all of these reasons!"

Ahem.
Meowth is more famous.
He's a good representative of your standard pokemon, as instead of a blue jackal, he is a normal-type cat.
He may not be popular (in-game), but that didn't stop Pichu or Jigglypuff, did it?

And yet he's denied. It's obiovus Meowth is a much better rep for the pokemon series than Lucario, but he's only a Ball pokemon. Don't get your hopes up.

Sneaky 2.0

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2724-1598-9725
I prefer the PBR model for Meowth over the Brawl one. I mean, the PBR model for Pikachu is the same as the Brawl one, why is this different?

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
The. Last. Straw.

He is totally hinting at Lucario being Playable. We all know it. LUCARIO FOR BRAWL TOMORROW.
Hate to break it to you, but probably not. Maybe he'll be a pokemon.

How is THIS the last straw? Your acting like this games a pile of ****.

Sneaky 2.0

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2724-1598-9725
^Eh?

Anyway, think about it.
There are 3 points brought up by Lucario supporters.
He was in a movie
He's fighting-type
He's popular

First, the movie. It's no secret that Lucario's biggest asset is that he was the star of a movie, making him a semi-major part of the anime. It's the whole reason you guys have a for the "Lucario For Brawl" thread versus the "Gengar for Brawl" thread.
Now, he is a prominent pokemon because of this, but lets take a look. Meowth was deconfirmed today, and who better represents the Anime besides Pikachu? His rival, Meowth. If Lucario deserves to be in, wouldn't Meowth deserve it more? He's in nearly every episode of the anime, and is a much more developed character. Yet he's only a Pokeball. If Meowth, one of the most prominent characters in the Anime, and probably the second most prominent Poke'mon, doesn't make it, what makes you think Lucario will?

Second, the type. Fighting type does not a shoo-in make. None of the previous Playable Pokemon have been fighting. He's got an interesting combination for sure, but does that have anything to do with Brawl? No.

Third, his popularity. I'll tackle the in-game usage popularity versus the real-life anime popularity (See "Movie" for why his Anime popularity is crap. There are many many pokemon more frequently used than Lucario, in game. Wobbuffet is a pokemon featured in almost all competitive teams, but I don't think he'll be getting in.

"But Lucario is the best possibility for all of these reasons!"

Ahem.
Meowth is more famous.
He's a good representative of your standard pokemon, as instead of a blue jackal, he is a normal-type cat.
He may not be popular (in-game), but that didn't stop Pichu or Jigglypuff, did it?

And yet he's denied. It's obiovus Meowth is a much better rep for the pokemon series than Lucario, but he's only a Ball pokemon. Don't get your hopes up.
Well said. :) Not saying this should deconfirm anyone (or that I even want a Lucario in) but it was a well-written thesis.

Let's see how many people it stops from flaming others for supporting somebody other than their favorite.

Talendime

Smash Ace
Shiny Ivysaur, I'm sorry to say it, but everything you just came up with for him was already made irrellevent by maxpower1227's post..

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lucario hasn't been seen yet, so it may still have a shot. If it too is in a Poke Ball, I'm going to say that Sakurai is a mad man.

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
Forget Lucario!

Sakurai should get to buffing Mewtwo to heaven and back and giving him some new moves and put him in. Make him honor his legacy he has in the games, I mean c'mon gamewise he is one of the most powerfull pokemon around, in Melee, he's poo..

Oh and he NEEDS his Armor as an alt costume :)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't think Mewtwo was that good in melee.
...and that's why he should be made better in Brawl of course, and he will be...

...The purposely made him weaker because they thought he would be too powerful in the game...ironically

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
The. Last. Straw.

When was Gardevoir confirmed? I'd like to know. Thanks.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
kk.. havn't read all pages, so if this has been said alot already, then w/e

first off...I've wanted Meowth playable in SSB since N64...sux that he isn't...I thought he deserves to be =(...but at least he's back this time..

and...>_> to the mewtwo haters...Mewtwo SHOULD be back >_>

he's like..."THEE POKEMON" in the games, everyone remebers him back from pokemon was all the rage, and it's obvious he's considerable....or else he never would have been in melee >_>

and as for those who say he shouldn't be back because he "sucked in melee" >_>.... I QUOTE

To be honest, there are a LOT of characters that offer a slightly different flavor this time around. If you think they’re all going to be the same as they have been, it’ll be rough for you.
>_>

as for Lucario :ohwell: I'm not totally against it. It's better to have old pokemon, ones ALL people will reconize and remeber. However, being that now we have all Charizard, Ivysaur AND Squirtle, It's worth considering Sakurai could make ONE new poke playable..and being Lucario is apparently the most popular new guy, It'd be him....but only after mewtwo and Jiggs are included....then it's just the question of there being "too many" pokemon...

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
You seem to be forgetting that Nintendo isn't worried about selling R/B/Y Gen games, but is focused on whoring out the already amazingly popular Diamond and Pearl gens. Roy and Marth were included solely to advertise their game, and Lucario could just be an ad slave for D/P.

Also, I'm not for/against Lucario in brawl, but just wanted to make this point.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
We already have 4 playable pokémons. Jigglypuff and Mewtwo would make SIX. That's MORE than enough. Nintendo has other franchises out there.
Pokemon is also one of Nintendo's biggest franchises... and one of the best selling video game series ever (#2 after Mario, according to Game Informer's April 2007 issue, with over double the number of units sold than Final Fantasy, which was third). Makes sense for them to have multiple reps from Pokemon, when you look at it like that. I'm personally indifferent about Lucario being in or out. I just want interesting characters to play as.

Top Bottom