• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Metaknight should/will be banned" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
But you STILL don't answer my questions/and or reasons, which you have been missing all night. you can't take the simple grasp of a "What if" and apply it?
A what if can go in any direction thats the problem.
How can you not do something so simple? As for the 50/50, What if thats not your main? Your expected to get good at them when you possibly don't want to?
Well the whole idea of being competitive is to win.
If being MK or Falco optimizes those chances then you should do it if you are being competitive. or you can choose not to do so.

And as for the no MK tournies, you should agree, not bash them, but I suppose your ego gets in the way a lot, doesn't it?
There is no such thing as saying that a person SHOULD have done this or that, if he does not believe MK would be banned or that it makes no difference. It was mentioned earlier.
Now, answer my what if, and we might get past this wall, or bury the hatchet and lets get along, either or, make your choice.
Can't we all just get along?
Wait, what even matchups does Metaknight have exactly?
Snake, Dk, Falco. Thats the ones I am sure about anyway.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
It's weird. I saw Yuna posting and didn't expect to AGREE with him. It's too bad, as I was hoping to be able to argue against him.

MK is about even against Bowser, Snake, Lucario, MK (of course), Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and a bunch of others I can't name off the top of my head.

waks

Smash Journeyman
For now, just accept the character roster as it is, maybe some new techniques will appear that change how this game is played completely. Its only been a few months after all.
Thing is, techniques might not be discovered due to how shallow (subjective) the game is. But don't quote me on this. Like you, Im just giving an instance, or an opinion. Not a fact.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
And you are still so egotistic as to not take my offer of piece, or quench my fury, so please just stop, if I fight you full force, you will be sorry, so just, please, stop. Now, Can you answer the simple question if MK WAS banned, what would happen? If your so experienced, this should be NO problem for you, but no, your too afraid to admit that you can't. So either put up or shut up.

I think I should take a tally or a survey of people, who don't play MK so there are no Bias opinions, if they think he is Overpowered or not, and see what I get, maybe that hard data will persuade you all?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
And you are still so egotistic as to not take my offer of piece, or quench my fury, so please just stop, if I fight you full force, you will be sorry, so just, please, stop. Now, Can you answer the simple question if MK WAS banned, what would happen? If your so experienced, this should be NO problem for you, but no, your too afraid to admit that you can't. So either put up or shut up.

I think I should take a tally or a survey of people, who don't play MK so there are no Bias opinions, if they think he is Overpowered or not, and see what I get, maybe that hard data will persuade you all?
If MK was banned, the game would be all about the Snake and GW users.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
After your found that BS, I gave you two relevant links. You ignored them and went on to whine some more.
I whined? I merely stated how egotistical you were. So whatever. You shoulda just told me the definition in the first place, smart guy.

Oh also, GG not even accepting a common ground. Quite the immature 23 year old we have here!

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Not to go off topic again, but am I the only person who has trouble understanding anything MorphedChaos is saying? Am I missing out on a secret code here?

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
No. Read the links I posted. Also, quote me where I call specific people idiots.

I only say "Only idiots would..." about things that only idiots would fall for/do/say.
By saying that, you're saying that specific people idiots, since you say that only in response to people saying the people they played fell for those tactics. Say I have a friend named Bob. Bob's a genius at art, math, science... He just can't play Smash well. You just called Bob an idiot. You think that I'd not be a bit peeved? I know that your points are valid, solid, and concrete, but usually it's better to actually try to put them across without distracting people by saying repeatedly they aren't tournament viable. That would be a form of perceived ad hominem.

Also, Sirlin's version of the word isn't the only one. In many games, it has the same definition as N00b, moron, rookie...

Still, I'm sorry for getting the wrong message. I didn't see the links you posted.

Stop. Now.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

Anyway, Kizzu-kun:
Wario
Falco
Diddy
Yoshi
Lucario
Donkey Kong
DeDeDe

If the MK boards are to be believed. Of course, one should take it with a grain of salt.
Don't laugh, I got the Bowser thing from Samurai Panda.

Incidently, what is the definition of scrub? your links aren't working today.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
And you are still so egotistic as to not take my offer of piece, or quench my fury, so please just stop, if I fight you full force, you will be sorry, so just, please, stop.
Oh no! Don't unleash the unholy MorphedChaos Fury! And stop misusing the word "egoistic":

Now, Can you answer the simple question if MK WAS banned, what would happen? If your so experienced, this should be NO problem for you, but no, your too afraid to admit that you can't. So either put up or shut up.
Why should I when I've already answered that question at least 4 times already?

I barely play MK. Do you even know what Tertiary means? Yes, obviously a survey on MK's prowess among non-MK players will be completely unbiased! Brilliant idea!

Don't laugh, I got the Bowser thing from Samurai Panda.
Quotes or it didn't happen.

Incidently, what is the definition of scrub? your links aren't working today.
Why in the world would they not?

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
If MK was banned, the game would be all about the Snake and GW users.
At least they take skill to be good at, MK its just Nado Nado Nado Nado Nado, Dsmash, and its a win, they somehow get knocked off, 5 jumps, Shuttle loop into glide, ext... AKA godly recovery, hes pretty easy. If Nado didn't have so much priority and damage, then we wouldn't be here right now, but I digress.

Don't worry KoJ, I'm done bickering with Yuna, hes not worth it. And Yuna, YOU NEVER answered me, you just said "But he wont" YOU NEVER answered me, your wrong.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
MorphedChaos. It's not that hard to get around the "Nado Nado Nado". If your opponent spams it, is it really that hard to realize that they're overusing it? Is it that hard to find some way around that?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
At least they take skill to be good at, MK its just Nado Nado Nado Nado Nado, Dsmash, and its a win, they somehow get knocked off, 5 jumps, Shuttle loop into glide, ext... AKA godly recovery, hes pretty easy. If Nado didn't have so much priority and damage, then we wouldn't be here right now, but I digress.

Don't worry KoJ, I'm done bickering with Yuna, hes not worth it. And Yuna, YOU NEVER answered me, you just said "But he wont" YOU NEVER answered me, your wrong.
1) You think MK's Tornado is unbeatable and you can win simply by spamming it? That expains a lot.
2) I did answer you. Many times. I said "I've already answered that". Because I get tired of having to repeat myself over and over again just because some people have problems comphrehending plain English.

But I'll repeat it for your sake:
Snake and Game & Watch would dominate.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure the nado thing is a joke. Don't get too butt hurt over it guys.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Sorry mate, its just over-exaggerating, I'm just saying how easy he is to play. Thats the real main point of this topic, A MK can beat you even if hes under your skill due to instant attacks with high priority, not to mention a kill attack thats very very strong.

If its Azen or something thats different, but yeah, thats Azen. XD.

Not to mention, the big reason I hound Yuna is that he keeps being so egotistic, its not even funny, but hes not worth it, hes just a monkey.

And yet STILL Yuna doesn't answer, And you said you did, no you didn't, as I asked for the criteria "MK is banned, what happens now?" You reply "We will never ban MK at this point." which conflicts, but yeah, thats not an answer to my question.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Again it is sad that this discussion even has to exist.

One thing I have noticed as I watch this thread(which has been amusing by the way), is that most of the people who have played a game where a character actually is banned, are agreed that MK is not ban worthy. Don't those people seem the most credible on this issue. If you haven't played a game where someone is so overpowered that they had to be banned then you really have no frame of reference in this coversation.

Yes he is good, but not unrivaled. And in fact as time goes on it seems that we are finding more and more people who go even with him. At first it was believed that he had an advantage against pretty much everybody, but now, as was posted earlier we have at least 6 or 7 characters who go about even with him. Personally I counter Diddy Kong for MK. And if the MK isn't all that good, I just take them with my main, DeDeDe.

So basically, practice.

EDIT: Wow, I didn't see the nado nado nado thing. Okay I'm going to try to actually be productive on this one. If it really gives you that much trouble then go to the character board for your main. Pretty much every character boards matchup conversation will give you a list of moves that your character can stop tornado with.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
MK isn't anywhere near the point of being banned; he's simply the best character. If MK gets banned, you'll just see Snakes everywhere.

Banning Meta Knight would be WAYYY too irrational.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Again it is sad that this discussion even has to exist.

One thing I have noticed as I watch this thread(which has been amusing by the way), is that most of the people who have played a game where a character actually is banned, are agreed that MK is not ban worthy. Don't those people seem the most credible on this issue. If you haven't played a game where someone is so overpowered that they had to be banned then you really have no frame of reference in this coversation.

Yes he is good, but not unrivaled. And in fact as time goes on it seems that we are finding more and more people who go even with him. At first it was believed that he had an advantage against pretty much everybody, but now, as was posted earlier we have at least 6 or 7 characters who go about even with him. Personally I counter Diddy Kong for MK. And if the MK isn't all that good, I just take them with my main, DeDeDe.

So basically, practice.

EDIT: Wow, I didn't see the nado nado nado thing. Okay I'm going to try to actually be productive on this one. If it really gives you that much trouble then go to the character board for your main. Pretty much every character boards matchup conversation will give you a list of moves that your character can stop tornado with.

Truth.

Also, I think the only one who has yet to understand what Yuna and the others are trying to say is MC.

Meta Knight is...better than most of the cast, but he's still beatable. His attacks are all very good, but not broken enough to win by blindingly using them.

He's really good, and frustrating to play, but that alone doesn't warrant a ban.

Therefore, MK will NOT be banned. This thread should be ending soon...hopefully.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
So, now that the flamewars are over, How is MK overpowered exactly, and how is he not Overpowered exactly? And no Bias please, there has been too much of that already T_T.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
i'll post it again since no one saw. tournament just happened yesterday. top 3 weren't metaknight

C3 August Tournament Results 8-23-08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Singles
1. Chillindude (Falco/DDD)
2. Azen (Lucario)
3. Chu (Kirby)
4. Omni (Meta)
5. Plank (Meta)
5. Knacker (ROB)
7. g-reg (Snake)
7. Chinesah (DK)
9. Meep (Lucario)
9. MEGA (Pikachu)
9. Slashtalon (Falco)
9. Dobee (?)
13. lil b
13. BMX
13. Bonk
13. Kirbstir
17. Oatmeal
17. Toast
17. J
17. Shoga
17. Sage

just get better...

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
come on now people Metaknight is great but not to the bannable point whats gonna happen everyone is gonna jump on the the "snake and MK" wagon until that select handful wanting win tournaments with other character comes forth and when everyone sees them its gonna grow until every player who wants real attention picks the least used character and wins with them but after that another character will be seen as over powered and everyone is gonna be playing with (just naming some lesser used characters) Yoshi, old Link, Dedede so as for this issue "I BELIEVE" that there is no reason or point to banning any characters at any point for any reason because this is one of the MOST balanced fighting games and IF there is a gap between a character it so small it only worth being talked about by Hardcore Gamers

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Yuna: good news, I found the Samurai Panda quote.

I'm not sure how to link the quote, but I'll give you the link to the page it's on.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5184429#post5184429
Yeah, just click the post number if needed.

http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5184429&postcount=13664

So, now that the flamewars are over, How is MK overpowered exactly, and how is he not Overpowered exactly? And no Bias please, there has been too much of that already T_T.
There's still hope for you yet.

And people call Metaknight overpowered because he doesn't have any true uphill battles as of right now and he's a very, very common character in tournament play. Not having any "disadvantageous" fights and being common is reason enough for people to get pissed off.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Lazyness, anyone?

That's what it's kinda starting to sound like. On all sides, whether this "ban" were to be real or not.

If the "ban" on MK were to start today, people will just start to use Snake, G&W, Falco, Marth, and anyone else who is considered top-tier at this point in time. Why? Because people want to win. It's human nature for someone to pick the best possible option. Why run when you can ride a bicycle?

If the "soft ban" on MK were to start today, people would still pick MK because, well, they want to win. Last time I checked, there is no honor in competitive fighting games. Please don't learn that the hard way like I did.

If people complain about MK being too good, people will either learn how to play MK, learn how to play Snake, who IMO comes pretty close to the best matchup against MK, or try and develop their character in order to take down MK. Basically, you honestly DO NOT want to ban MK. If you want to start seeing more diversity in the characters being picked, then beat MK. Like stated earlier, human nature is to choose the best option. Yet half the people who play MK probably don't even play him to his fullest potential, only play him to have a good chance at winning a tournament or a money match.

You gotta beat the best to be the best. Not banning MK might actually help Brawl's metagame, granted people decide that they wanna suck it up and learn how to beat MK. Am I saying that I can beat MK like it's all good? No. A halfassed MK can still beat my Sonic (obviously). That ain't gonna stop me from trying, nor will it make MK my main.

So stop being lazy and up ur character's metagame to beat the best.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I doubt Meta Knight will be banned, he's not THAT overpowered. Sure he's good, but not unbeatable. Besides, there are other good characters. (Falco, Snake, G&W, Diddy Kong) If you don't like Meta Knight, tough, I don't either. Sheild his mach tornado, don't try and gimp his godly recovery, and try not to get Dsmashed all the time.

Rykard

Smash Ace
this is my point of view.

Metaknight is a good character but do to his popularity at the moment, his strengths will soon be his dimise. tournaments will contain waves of metaknights that people will become so used to playing that they will be able to handle him as if he were just another average character in the game

if not, metaknight will prove to be the best thing to happen to smash because he will push all competetive players to become smart players and not just people good with their characters. the entire smash community will evolve around him and make for a more competitive and exciting fight scene than ever before because we will all be good players no matter what character we use.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
(just naming some lesser used characters) Yoshi, old Link,Dedede
lolwut?

Also, just a reminder because people seem to be forgetting, Snake counters Metaknight. If you lose to a Metaknight player, just pick Snake. MK himself will never be banned, just his D.I.C.K.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Okay just to give a comparison of what broken actually is, here we go.

I recently went hanging around the ROB boards and was looking at OS thread about switching to MK because he lost at a tourney with like 5 MK's. This is sad and disappointing but not broken. Does anyone else here play Advance Wars 2. Colin is the definition of broken. You play him or you lose, he has no counters, and he takes close to no skill. You can win without even trying. That is broken, and so he was banned. Having good priority, range, and recovery and even at worst matchups is not broken, just a really good character.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
this is my point of view.

Metaknight is a good character but do to his popularity at the moment, his strengths will soon be his dimise. tournaments will contain waves of metaknights that people will become so used to playing that they will be able to handle him as if he were just another average character in the game

if not, metaknight will prove to be the best thing to happen to smash because he will push all competetive players to become smart players and not just people good with their characters. the entire smash community will evolve around him and make for a more competitive and exciting fight scene than ever before because we will all be good players no matter what character we use.
Cosign

10-6

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry mate, its just over-exaggerating, I'm just saying how easy he is to play. Thats the real main point of this topic, A MK can beat you even if hes under your skill due to instant attacks with high priority, not to mention a kill attack thats very very strong.
We only care about what happens at the highest level of skill. It doesn't matter if a character is technically easier to play. On the highest level of skill, Meta-Knight's advantage, not that huge.

Not to mention, the big reason I hound Yuna is that he keeps being so egotistic, its not even funny, but hes not worth it, hes just a monkey.
Stop misusing the word "egoistic". Also, enjoy yet another infraction.

And yet STILL Yuna doesn't answer, And you said you did, no you didn't, as I asked for the criteria "MK is banned, what happens now?" You reply "We will never ban MK at this point." which conflicts, but yeah, thats not an answer to my question.
Funny, I said:
"Snake and Game & Watch would dominate"

Yuna: good news, I found the Samurai Panda quote.

I'm not sure how to link the quote, but I'll give you the link to the page it's on.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5184429#post5184429
I can only say that I disagree.

Isn't it your job to tell us how he's overpowered?

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
that this guy said. Hes beatable, so instead of standing around complaining about it, people should be thinking of different ways to counter him.
Just because someone is beatable does not necessarily mean that they shouldn't be banned. Akuma was technically beatable as well, he was just so much better then the rest of the cast that it was much more prudent to ban him.

There is no Metaknight counter. Metaknight is a counter to everyone.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
i'll post it again since no one saw. tournament just happened yesterday. top 3 weren't metaknight

C3 August Tournament Results 8-23-08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Singles
1. Chillindude (Falco/DDD)
2. Azen (Lucario)
3. Chu (Kirby)
4. Omni (Meta)
5. Plank (Meta)
5. Knacker (ROB)
7. g-reg (Snake)
7. Chinesah (DK)
9. Meep (Lucario)
9. MEGA (Pikachu)
9. Slashtalon (Falco)
9. Dobee (?)
13. lil b
13. BMX
13. Bonk
13. Kirbstir
17. Oatmeal
17. Toast
17. J
17. Shoga
17. Sage

just get better...
ima quote this and say yea MK isnt a bannable character just get better at the matchups -.- i would say hes the sheik of brawl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom