• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I'm afraid I might be that guy because I've liked Meshuggah since before people thought djent was a thing.
That's actually probably really common, as destroy kill erase or whatever it's called was out for 15 years before djent appeared.

Also xyzz I love how you quoted a post from 20 pages ago

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Eek, well, the boards are still kinda iffy *johns*.

To apology I can offer the best john I've ever heard: "I need to warm up again, my hands are cold again, because you've combo'ed me for too long". To his defense, my Falco *was* kinda getting off... ;)

Get Low

Smash Ace
I'm proud to say that I almost never play Smash anymore, but I still get on Smashboards all the time just for this thread.
I've never had anyone to talk to about metal, because all of my friends listen to gay music like Three Days Grace and Linkin Park.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Of the only metal guys I know, two of them are the type of guys who hate the black album because "hurr durr metallica sold out" and the third one is a John Petrucci worshipper.

Hell, my local "scene" stuff can piss me off at times, with the most popular bands being pop-punk with horns and **** like this going almost completley unnoticed.

Get Low

Smash Ace
As opposed to gay music like As I Lay Dying and Bring Me The Horizon?
Yeah, I suppose. Those bands are pretty gay as well, lol.
Three days grace and Linkin Park have some songs I like. Nothing too spectacular, but quite a few things I don't mind listening to at all.
I actually own the Meteora album ;)
I've heard that Meteora is actually a quality album. I might give it a listen one of these days.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
man, I wish BTBAM and Russian Circles were touring together with pretty much any band that isn't Coheed and Cambria. My hate for Coheed and the fact that I've seen BTBAM 3 times has me skipping out on this tour. but i'm still bummed, cuz i want to see Russian Circles soooooo bad. their live show seems to crush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtpFOBJA7O8

lately been listening to a lot of Converge, INGESTED and ION DISSONANCE

here's my friend doing a sweet Ion Dissonance cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrqlrX7djJs (there is some dumb Tim and Eric bull **** in the beginning, skip if you want. its silly the cover itself is legit though)

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Haha, if I reaaallly dislike a band (I can bear almost anything live) and they tour with guys I like, I'll usually just stand outside the location and drink beer till I either don't care anymore or they're finished :D

Get Low

Smash Ace
Ah, Ion Dissonance. I used to like them back when I liked very chaotic music. I get kind of bored when I listen to them now, though.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
man, I wish BTBAM and Russian Circles were touring together with pretty much any band that isn't Coheed and Cambria. My hate for Coheed and the fact that I've seen BTBAM 3 times has me skipping out on this tour. but i'm still bummed, cuz i want to see Russian Circles soooooo bad. their live show seems to crush
Seeing this on the 25th. I'll be sure to let you know how much awesomeness you're missing.

Russian Circles are crushingly massive sounding, even more so than their recorded stuff. BTBAM played mostly newer stuff and had a fairly short set so it was mildly disappointing, but they were pretty solid still. C&C's vocalist is terrible live, but the person I was with wanted to stay through C&C so I had to subject myself to 2 hours of that nonsense. Surprisingly they didn't play too many of the ballady type songs so it wasn't as bad as I expected. Highlight of the show was definitely Russian Circles, you have to see them if you get the chance.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
thanks man! i'm very curious to see what the reaction to it will be. this is the first song where the majority of the writing and composition was done by me and i tried to be pretty ambitious with all the changes and whatnot. i'd love to hear specifically what people like or don't like.

oh and for the person who asked, I'm the mustache person/guitarist in the band

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
my band finally recorded a new song take a looksee if you want!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrHIJiuUtI Contacting Nebulas <3 <3 <3

Hunter Young is from a bunch of deathcore and hardcore bands in FL such as Silence, Playing For Keeps, Von Wolfe, Ceruleus .
Sick. I also think you should grow your hair out and for the full Mikael Akerfeldt look

Kind of not-related, but I'm finally getting around to recording some stuff. Stay tuned!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Tenacious D's self titled album is pretty awesome. They fell off hard after that imo with two albums that were neither funny or musically interesting.

@GetLow

i saw! you must be the one i was referring to in my last post xD.

oh yeah, and you said something about "you should play more breakdowns" and to that i say "no". this new song has a lot of them, if you ask me, but that's just because the momentum of the song just lent itself to that in the end. i'm usually more about melody and off-rhythms. i love breakdowns, but i love them best when they are little sprinkles on top of a more complex and intricate cupcake, rather than being the entire cupcake itself.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Breakdowns should happen very infrequently. Any more and they lose their redeeming factors.

Also I'm listening to the new cloudkicker and can't help but feel disappointed. Why you gotta do this to me ben.

Get Low

Smash Ace
@GetLow

i saw! you must be the one i was referring to in my last post xD.

oh yeah, and you said something about "you should play more breakdowns" and to that i say "no". this new song has a lot of them, if you ask me, but that's just because the momentum of the song just lent itself to that in the end. i'm usually more about melody and off-rhythms. i love breakdowns, but i love them best when they are little sprinkles on top of a more complex and intricate cupcake, rather than being the entire cupcake itself.
You know, I can respect that. Off-rhythms are the bomb.
And I did listen to the new song, but didn't really notice any of the breakdowns.
But that could perhaps be because unless a band makes a great big buildup into the breakdown,
I usually don't realize it's happening in the first place.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Breakdowns should happen very infrequently. Any more and they lose their redeeming factors.

Also I'm listening to the new cloudkicker and can't help but feel disappointed. Why you gotta do this to me ben.
I agree, and the more I write heavy music of my own, the more I realize that breakdowns are probably the easiest crutch to use in all of music history. it is so easy to just go to a breakdown if you don't know what else to do after a certain riff. makes me a little bitter, actually, when I hear so many punk-ass bands heartlessly regurgitate the same couple of tricks over and over .

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
^^ Means they're playing old school. Like their first album. All acoustic, no drums and bass.
he was pointing out that your word choice is funny, because you're talking about an acoustic, unamplified performance and you used the word "amped" to describe your excitement.

though, even with acoustics they're still amplified, so that's neither here nor there

Get Low

Smash Ace
this thread makes me sad. people talking about Tenacious D in here yet mother ****ing Dillinger Escape Plan release a new song since 2010 and not a peep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7vPMKObsjA
Dillinger's alright.
Thought it was an interesting choice of theirs to sign to Sumerian.
Song sounds like pretty much everything they've ever done.
Will probably still give the new album a listen when it comes out.

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
I kinda like Meir, not quite as much as their debut. The thing is it was apparent then that they had some pop sensibilities and Meir kinda furthers that side of their music so I guess if you don't like pop in your metal than the new Kvelertak won't be your thing. The riffs are still groovy and the old school rock vibe is still there so everything that made Kvelertak sound like Kvelertak is still there, just less metallic is all.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I don't understand all the hype Northlane is getting with their new album. All I'm hearing about is how it blows everything else from Australia out of the water, but all I hear is the same djent sound Periphery and Volumes have been spewing since '09, but with worse cleans than Periphery. I've listened to two songs from Singularity, and I legit just don't see the hook. :(

Get Low

Smash Ace
I don't understand all the hype Northlane is getting with their new album. All I'm hearing about is how it blows everything else from Australia out of the water, but all I hear is the same djent sound Periphery and Volumes have been spewing since '09, but with worse cleans than Periphery. I've listened to two songs from Singularity, and I legit just don't see the hook. :(
I agree. I've been saying that Northlane is overrated for like, two years now. Everyone is crazy about them for some reason, but their music is just really boring to me. There are so many better djent bands out there.

Top Bottom