• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

gm jack

Smash Lord
Big list's don't really do that much. That said, at least nobody yet has been a really hardcore black metal fan, starting the whole "this band released one song on cassette 15 years ago but shame on you all for not having heard of them" elitism.

That said, I will still plug Ne Obliviscaris at any point I can. I'm really looking forward to their album.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I actually listen to a few of those bands too lol, i just didn't list them because they aren't really metal or they're just screamo nonsense. I'll gladly admit that two of my favorite bands are Straylight Run and Saosin (A-Rod is ridiculous on drums).

:036:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Oh god. Attack Attack! is pukeworthy.
This I can agree on this.

I remember I was watching T.V, like any other innocent day when I saw the MTV channel. They were showing music videos, "I should watch what today's bands are like" I said, unknowing the horror I was about to see. I then saw Attack Attack!, "Hmm, strange name" I said to myself as the video was starting. After 30 seconds into the video, I turned off the T.V, took a shower, went to my bed and cried myself back to sleep.

The End.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Yeah dude Attack Attack! sucks so much,I think that whole band is a joke,they have no talent what so ever and the sad part is..... My sisters obsessed with them!!
It's a phase, she'll be sick of them after a while. I know I am, and I barely even listened to them!

Can anybody tell me some good songs by The Dillinger Escape Plan? I just got Option Paralysis and I was wondering what other things I should get by them.

BrutalXSpawn

Smash Apprentice
It's a phase, she'll be sick of them after a while. I know I am, and I barely even listened to them!

Can anybody tell me some good songs by The Dillinger Escape Plan? I just got Option Paralysis and I was wondering what other things I should get by them.
Ah dude I used to love that band but I just grew outta them.
Tony Danza Tapdance Extravganza is a similar Mathcore band,theyre pretty awesome

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Get the album Calculating Infinity. Ire Works is decent as well. The new album is pretty good but I don't think anything will beat Calculating Infinity.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
My favorite was Miss Machine

How do you grow out of The Dillinger Escape Plan

It's quality.

Jane

Smash Hero
metal is a VERY broad genre sir. dont be an elitist :)

luigi, i listened to it, didnt think much of it. but then i decided to listen to the original song, AND THEN the cover, and it was awesome haha

gm jack

Smash Lord
Clearly. That's why I also like Dragonforce. I was just pointing out metalcore is a branch of hardcore, so is actually closer to punk than metal.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
It's been stated several times already. I don't care much about the classification as far as the genre's influences, but there is a difference in mood and intent that makes the two entirely different.
Metalcore borrows some elements of metal, but focuses on the wrong parts. The kinds of things I usually tell people metal isn't about. It feels essentially like a parody of the genre, much like how Dragonforce parodies power metal, except that they do it intentionally.

But honestly, the thread wouldn't get enough activity otherwise, so it's not worth the argument. Just getting it out of the way seeing as gm jack brought it up again.

On the subject, I'm not entirely sure what I think of these guys yet -- they already have sponsor overkill, but there seems to be some decent material here. (Expect a sudden jump in volume.)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
It's been stated several times already. I don't care much about the classification as far as the genre's influences, but there is a difference in mood and intent that makes the two entirely different.
Metalcore borrows some elements of metal, but focuses on the wrong parts. The kinds of things I usually tell people metal isn't about. It feels essentially like a parody of the genre, much like how Dragonforce parodies power metal, except that they do it intentionally.

But honestly, the thread wouldn't get enough activity otherwise, so it's not worth the argument. Just getting it out of the way seeing as gm jack brought it up again.

On the subject, I'm not entirely sure what I think of these guys yet -- they already have sponsor overkill, but there seems to be some decent material here. (Expect a sudden jump in volume.)
I'm interested in hearing what "the wrong parts" entails. I'm not being cheeky. What is metal "about" and how is it missing from metalcore?

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
It's primarily the focus on vocals and technicality over any actual atmosphere. Often times when I'm explaining to people why I like metal, the vocals end up being the first subject. Why growling fits metal, why it's not bad if you can't understand it and why the lyrical content makes little difference if you just view it as one instrument, one part of the music. But metalcore often has a much heavier focus on the vocalist, despite the fact that he's squealing/screaming and that alone doesn't have much merit. And unlike skilled musicians, who can show the purpose of their music through the mood they creates with their instruments, the music in metalcore seems to be mostly technicality for technicality's sake, though; aggressive like metal, sure, but not in the same way or for the same reasons. I can appreciate a skilled guitarist who can play fast, sure, but I can't respect him the same way I do someone who can truly express an idea through his music.

My post in Miami's thread touched on the same things and I just wrote that a few hours ago, so please read that as well (particularly the first part) if I haven't explained myself well enough.

gm jack

Smash Lord
If it's technicality for technicalities sake, then what the hell is tech death about? There is no way in hell Brain Drill need their bassist tapping over all 7 strings, but they do it anyway. And a lot of metal has the focus on the vocalist. Or are Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Blind Guardian etc not metal? In fact, even in a lot of heavier bands it is still the focus. As for lack of atmosphere, that is entirely. I occasionally listen to Sunn 0))) and think it is awesomely atmospheric. However, I cannot say people comparing to to lying by a fridge for an hour are completely unreasonable.

If you want to keep pretending metalcore is just inferior to metal, then you really need to wake up, as there are some bands even I like that are metalcore (BTBAM are incredible musicians http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jiclPmM0RM). You just prefer metal as a rule of thumb, so stop sounding so pretentious with the whole "they aren't doing it right and aren't skilled" thing. There is a hell of a lot of **** metal out there, and you have to wade through it to find the good stuff. Same for any genre.

That said, metal is still better.

WaveLength

Smash Apprentice
Seeing you guys argue over Metalcore being inferior to Metal reminds me of Metal Archives. That's not cool. :I

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Huh. Well you basically just said "metal is just better than metalcore" in a paragraph. Not only that, but tons of metalcore and its sub-sub-genres are more about passionate delivery over technical bravado. Hell, lots of metalcore isn't technical at all, really. Your mistake is bashing the entire genre, when the reality is is that just 80% of the genre are horrible musicians who don't have any unique musical ideas in their head. The 80% happens to be what most people like because it's generally "easier" music.

And that you somehow think metal (one of the most bombast, ridiculous and often silly genres in all of music) is somehow devoid of horrible, ****y, indulgent music is pretty laughable.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
You're telling me I have to ignore 80% of a genre to enjoy it and then act as though bad metal bands don't exist? Of course there are bad metal bands, but I'm obviously not focusing on those. Nor am I talking about classic metal. And I've stated several times already that I enjoy btbam, but they seem to be the only example that people bring up. Nor did I once say "metalcore is inferior to metal;" I listen to way too many genres of music and that idea is a joke. I simply pointed out how it feels different from metal and brought in a personal example of why I don't particularly enjoy it, that being pure technicality over atmosphere (and atmosphere doesn't necesarilly mean only funeral doom and black metal; it's the ability to convey ideas and set a mood with music).

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Heard Callenish Circle for the 1st time today.

Holy **** they are pretty good!

Also,a bit off the REALLY heavy topic but,has anyone heard of Black Tide?

They are like a 80's Metal and Metalcore fusion.The guitarists are seriously bad ***.

Also why the hell haven't I been posting in here more often!?

Ill probably discover a bunch of new awesome bands I haven't even heard of just being here.

METAL FTW!

gm jack

Smash Lord
You're telling me I have to ignore 80% of a genre to enjoy it and then act as though bad metal bands don't exist? Of course there are bad metal bands, but I'm obviously not focusing on those. Nor am I talking about classic metal. And I've stated several times already that I enjoy btbam, but they seem to be the only example that people bring up. Nor did I once say "metalcore is inferior to metal;" I listen to way too many genres of music and that idea is a joke. I simply pointed out how it feels different from metal and brought in a personal example of why I don't particularly enjoy it, that being pure technicality over atmosphere (and atmosphere doesn't necesarilly mean only funeral doom and black metal; it's the ability to convey ideas and set a mood with music).
A hell of a lot of death metal is technicality over emotion.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
You still don't quite understand. I'm not talking about tech death. Emotion doesn't necessarily imply introversion or the cliche idea. Rather I simply mean meaning behind the music; an idea or motive. Not just pretty guitar work because it's hard to play.

Top Bottom