• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Milk Bar [Archived]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Besides WW and TP and the ones I have played, which other ones are very good? I want to play the original Zelda also, that's on my agenda as well.
Ocarina of time duh, imo its more of a classic than the original
(yes I know fail, a later release can't be older than one released 10 years earlier)
I've played all of them except for the CD-I ones I know to stay away from them

WW was my favorite, that's why I got phantom hourglass which wasn't too bad

c3gill

Smash Ace
WW was my favorite, that's why I got phantom hourglass which wasn't too bad
ummm PH discussion? I liked the game, I think that cellshading fit this game much better than WW. Additionally, I loved most of the concepts in this game, and the puzzles were decent. I found the heart pieces to be much more interesting in this game than all other hand-helds in the series, with the possible exception of LA.

However! I have to have some issue with the game (the only perfect LoZ game so far was MM:)), and for me it was controlling Link's sword/items. My hand got pretty tired from all the movement on the small screen, and I was swearing i had carpal tunnel by the end of the game.

Anyone else? issues with PH?

UncleSam

Smash Master
ummm PH discussion? I liked the game, I think that cellshading fit this game much better than WW. Additionally, I loved most of the concepts in this game, and the puzzles were decent. I found the heart pieces to be much more interesting in this game than all other hand-helds in the series, with the possible exception of LA.

However! I have to have some issue with the game (the only perfect LoZ game so far was MM:)), and for me it was controlling Link's sword/items. My hand got pretty tired from all the movement on the small screen, and I was swearing i had carpal tunnel by the end of the game.

Anyone else? issues with PH?

that is true and the multiplayer was completely different than what anybody expected, you have to agree on that c'mon who saw that coming? And the fact that you have to go back to the temple every time you beat a boss to go 2 levels and go back out to the next one got repetitive and annoying after a while, but I did get to clear the first 6 floors with 0 seconds wasted which is very convenient, since clearing the dungeon after beating the last boss gets you loads of spoils

Scott!

Smash Lord
I enjoyed using the stylus for PH a lot, actually. I didn't find it too bad on my hand; the only other game I've played a lot on DS with the stylus was TWEWY, and that was a LOT more demanding on my hand.
It was also a much better game...
But I liked PH anyway. The one dungeon being revisited was bothersome, but I liked the other dungeons, and the ruins area in the NE quadrant. Plus, sailing was fun, though not as much as WW.

Champion_Link

Smash Cadet
So for my own amusement and sense of accomplishment I'm going to attempt an OOT speedrun after I do some extensive preparation. Anyone here ever try it? What's your best times?

Skrah

Smash Ace
So for my own amusement and sense of accomplishment I'm going to attempt an OOT speedrun after I do some extensive preparation. Anyone here ever try it? What's your best times?
Mmm I can't recall right now, the last speedrun on OoT I did was several years ago, but I sure as hell beat those speedgamer guys. They failed really bad :/

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I think the fastest time I've beaten OoT in is about... six or seven hours? Not necessarily the best in the world, but not bad.

@Srkah: Did the speedgamers fail in the Zelda speedrun attempt?

c3gill

Smash Ace
For Oot My time was around 2 hours. I'm currently trying a MM speed run if anyone wants to see it. http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=89420B74321DAA2C
I better goal for MM is not a speed run, but rather see how few days (in game) it takes you to beat the game. I dont care if you beat the game in 3 human minutes, if it takes you 17 days in game thats pathetic.

or try doing both at the same time :)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I better goal for MM is not a speed run, but rather see how few days (in game) it takes you to beat the game. I dont care if you beat the game in 3 human minutes, if it takes you 17 days in game thats pathetic.

or try doing both at the same time :)
The fastest number of days you can win it is 6

Donut!

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else speedrun LoZ? I'm sub 1 hour now, not even close to the 33 minute record, but I hope to get down to 45 minutes in the next month or so. Then it's on to the Master Quest....

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I beat it in 5 days.
Do you mean 5 human days?

Because you HAVE to wait until midnight on the first and second go around for the clock tower to open, so it's impossible to win it in 5 MM days...

Primer

Smash Rookie

Because you HAVE to wait until midnight on the first and second go around for the clock tower to open, so it's impossible to win it in 5 MM days...
You could always use a glitch to get in the clock tower using it you could beat it in 4 days.
without glitches max is 6 days

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone else speedrun LoZ? I'm sub 1 hour now, not even close to the 33 minute record, but I hope to get down to 45 minutes in the next month or so. Then it's on to the Master Quest....
I wouldn't call it a speedrun, but i do play through it for no reason at times.

c3gill

Smash Ace

I guess you could do the song to jump forward through time if you completed the game in the first 5 days..... But tahts asking a LOT.

I have done the 6 day ONCE, tried it again and screwed up. Id rather go through the entire game and complete everything 100%. Get all the little fairy ****s and upgrade the sword, nab all the heart pieces and complete the notebook. I have done speed runs of most Zelda games (admit- they arent very fast), and I have done "uber challenges" for them as well- but id rather complete everything- thats what I like, and thats why I play, the Zelda games :)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You could always use a glitch to get in the clock tower using it you could beat it in 4 days.
without glitches max is 6 days
So we have a speedrunner in here, eh?

I'm surprised that we haven't had one come in before. Glad to have you here, and I looked through your MM run and it was pretty impressive (didn't watch all of it, though). Much better than I can do.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I'm like Vorguen; I can't help but stop to get stuff, do things, etc. I would have trouble walking by a heart piece I knew I could get, but that would slow me down. Never even tried; it just wouldn't be fun for me.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Same as Vorguen and Scott.

Growing up with Banjo-Kazooie where the entire point is to collect trivial objects, it's hard to walk by any item and not collect it, lol

Donut!

Smash Apprentice

Growing up with Banjo-Kazooie where the entire point is to collect trivial objects, it's hard to walk by any item and not collect it, lol
Yeah I'm in the same boat, I need to find everything in games usually before I'm satisfied. I just recently got into speedruns just to change my play style a bit. If you go through the games and collect everything, especially Zelda and Metroid, Link and Samus are absolute tanks by the end, and the games lose their challenge. Speeding through or doing a 3 heart challenge forces you to make decisions on what to do next or how to confront a room instead of just plowing through a bunch of wizzrobes just because you can.

c3gill

Smash Ace

Those games were the DENKNESS!

I hate that Banjo-Kazooie series is no longer with Nintendo. That nuts and bolts deal with the 360 is kinda lame, but I really wish there was another Banjo-Kazooie game for nintendo.

And Banjo-Tooie was the denkness.

and btw, really good comparision, Ocho

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I never understood the big deal with Banjo-Kazooie. However, this is most likely because I hate 100% required completion collectathons even more than terrible gameplay and evil cameras.

UncleSam

Smash Master
After I beat a game 100% Ill do a speedrun, and speedruns are actually quite fun it puts your skills to the test

Vorguen

Smash Champion

I beat it in 5 in-game days.

Seriously, for me it's Final Fantasy habits. lol

damezguy

Smash Apprentice
ocarina of time will always hold fond memories from me, it was the game that got me into nintendo proper and make me respect how hard it must be to make a game so complex. I just hope the next zelda isnt changed too much, you hear all this talk of ''oooo zelda is going nowhere, tp was same of oot but bigger'. yeah granted but changing the raw mechanics of the 3d zelda we love is changing zelda itself. i hope nintendo definetly do make some changes but not some of the stuff ive heard.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
ocarina of time will always hold fond memories from me, it was the game that got me into nintendo proper and make me respect how hard it must be to make a game so complex. I just hope the next zelda isnt changed too much, you hear all this talk of ''oooo zelda is going nowhere, tp was same of oot but bigger'. yeah granted but changing the raw mechanics of the 3d zelda we love is changing zelda itself. i hope nintendo definetly do make some changes but not some of the stuff ive heard.
Well, Miyamoto had initially wanted to have Twilight Princess run entirely in first person. They at one point had the game running entirely in first person and even demonstrated it to a group of people. Despite that I think the reaction was positive, they decided to go back to a third person view.

In reality, I don't think there's much thats control/system related that Nintendo will change for the next Zelda.

However...

We can't rule out a change in setting, changing weapons, or really... a change in anything related to the game! Miyamoto said that Zelda was being revolutionized or... something along those lines... so it's really up in the air right now.

@Speedrunning

I usually go through the game one time, and then have my second run either be a speed or 100% completion run. My third run would be whichever of the former I hadn't done yet.

Scott!

Smash Lord
@Halloween Captain: Your lack of love for Banjo-Kazooie makes my childhood cry.

On topic: I doubt they'll change much of anything control-wise in the next Zelda. What they've got going works well, I think. I wouldn't want it in first person, honestly. I'd rather see Link walking around and all that.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I would not play a Legend of Zelda in First Person. I just don't like the first person genre. Maybe it's because I like to see my character's feet when I judge distances, or maybe it's because I don't like enemies directly in my face. Still, First Person optional would have been kinda cool.

Sorry about not liking Banjo-Kazooie, but I was fairly young at the time, so I actually failed to ever complete the first stage. I did manage to get through the tutorial at least, but for me, the entire 64 bit era was marked by laughably weak controls by current standards and unintuitive puzzles without the luxury of fast, significant online aid. If a game has bad controls and aweful graphics, independent of comparison other than the inability to do what I want because of these factors, then I had trouble liking the game. Even the pinnacle of Super Mario 64 wasn't all that fun for me because while at the time technically impressive, I would often rather do something else entirely (like sports) than trod through those poorly pixalated areas with controls that while relatively good when compared to other games of the era, do not allow me to master simple things like the wall jump properly. Maybe that was also because I was very young though (less than ten).

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
I really don't see how first person would work in Zelda, since your main weapon is a sword. They tried the same thing in Red Steel, and from what I hear the controls in that game were clunky and awful. First person should only work when using a bow/crossbow/slingshot/boomerang/hookshot, like it is already.

And lol at discussing the pros and cons of Banjo-Kazooie.

I really enjoyed the humor of the game, and its catchy music. And while the gameplay is very fun, it becomes a lot better after the first level when you progress deeper into Grunty's Lair.

Rareware's humor in their games has always been tongue-in-cheek, even back in the Donkey Kong Country days where Cranky Kong called DKC2 an unnecessary sequel. In fact in Banjo-Tooie they parodied the way Zelda games would introduce their bosses with their name and then their title beneath that, such as "Mr Patch: Strange Wobbly Inflatable Thing" lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxdbHtSAK28

Darkslash

Smash Master
I really don't see how first person would work in Zelda, since your main weapon is a sword. They tried the same thing in Red Steel, and from what I hear the controls in that game were clunky and awful. First person should only work when using a bow/crossbow/slingshot/boomerang/hookshot, like it is already.
When the controls are done right, its seems pretty epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qotHRXFpRjE&feature=related
BUT it may make people get motion sick...

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom