• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mindset of A True Champion

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I'm pretty good at having neutral feelings
I'm not very good at learning in matches though, sigh

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Also, take notes about your opponent, if they are on the ledge think "Alright gonna remember wtf he does" and if you remember he may do it again and then you punish. Top players are soooo good at adapting. I swear this is my theory on Armada.

The first game -
He plays against you but if he knows your really good he is trying to take notes/adapt more than anything.

Game 2 -
If he loses he will will probably go battlefield (Armada destroys BF don't let him take you there ever)
And he has all these notes on you from game 1, and destroys you.

Game 3 -
He knows your life story by now and is going to win.

That's how I see it lol.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Also, take notes about your opponent, if they are on the ledge think "Alright gonna remember wtf he does" and if you remember he may do it again and then you punish. Top players are soooo good at adapting. I swear this is my theory on Armada.

The first game -
He plays against you but if he knows your really good he is trying to take notes/adapt more than anything.

Game 2 -
If he loses he will will probably go battlefield (Armada destroys BF don't let him take you there ever)
And he has all these notes on you from game 1, and destroys you.

Game 3 -
He knows your life story by now and is going to win.

That's how I see it lol.
I get what you are saying, but another top player can also do the same.. which is why Mango won before... it's never one sided, both players can adapt to each other and it will be different everytime. If you are able to never be predictable and switch it up all the time then that's super amazing.. however doing this is incredibly hard and also there's the consistency. A champion has no patterns.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I get what you are saying, but another top player can also do the same.. which is why Mango won before... it's never one sided, both players can adapt to each other and it will be different everytime. If you are able to never be predictable and switch it up all the time then that's super amazing.. however doing this is incredibly hard and also there's the consistency. A champion has no patterns.
Yeah definetly Kage you always need to switch it up but you also wanna be safe, but the safest decision is usually the obvious one at mid-high levels of play so it turns into a huge guessing game.

j3ly

Smash Champion
excellent read, ill try to be emotionless for my 8 o'clock smashjam. its hard when u cant stop laughing though

strawhats

Smash Master
This post reminds me of SilentSpectre. I pretty much followed him to every setup he played at during Pound 4. He nods in approval every time his opponent does something smart, and also laughs hysterically when he gets death combo'd. He told me that whoever has the most fun playing and learning is eventually who will win. Admirable stuff.
looking at this post has confirmed a theory of mine. I feel that mango has become the greatest champion melee has ever had thus far, because he does whatever he wants (basically he has the most fun out of anyone player I've seen in a long time)

he kind of reminds me of my favorite anime character, LUFFY. Its said that the pirate king, the strongest, is the one who roams the seas carefree with no inhibitions.

that pretty much sums up mango, CAREFREE.

The one who has the most fun becomes the best

Divinokage

Smash Legend
looking at this post has confirmed a theory of mine. I feel that mango has become the greatest champion melee has ever had thus far, because he does whatever he wants (basically he has the most fun out of anyone player I've seen in a long time)

he kind of reminds me of my favorite anime character, LUFFY. Its said that the pirate king, the strongest, is the one who roams the seas carefree with no inhibitions.

that pretty much sums up mango, CAREFREE.

The one who has the most fun becomes the best
Not necessarily but the amount of love you have for something is definitely a GREAT factor into how much you will improve and how much you are willing to continue. I don't think a champion can be born if he hates melee for example.. that's never going to happen lol.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I am not endorsing this or condoning it, but I myself learn the most and generally play at my best while high on cannabis.
I feel it helps you loosen up more, focus less on the game and more on how you can out play your opponent.

As well, to add into what Jesiah said -

Always stay positive. I've been saying I'm going to beat th0rn and Banks for the last year pretty much every time I talk to them.
Guess what? I've been improving steadily and actually beat banks for the first time in a Money Match at ROM3. I made part of my goal at ROM3 to beat Rockcrock either in placings or in a MM. I failed in placings, but succeeded in defeating him in a MM (whether he was trying is debatable since he had ***** my Fox in a MM before playing my Falco).

Always tell yourself you have what it takes to win. Just don't focus on it. Never say "I'm going to win" because it puts you too much at ease, and if your opponent steps it up when you relax you're going to have a hard time getting the edge back.

Hope this helped anyone who read it.
I'll see you guys in finals soon :)

Also
don't even think about who you're playing against. my mindset whenever i play somebody is "who is this *****?" LOL, it really helps though. view your match with your opponent simply as an obstacle you must overcome, rather than "holy sh*t, ______ is so good and i don't stand a chance."
WHAT HAX SAID.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I don't understand how people can honestly implement those mindsets. Someone should enlighten me. I lose to myself more than anyone.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I don't understand how people can honestly implement those mindsets. Someone should enlighten me. I lose to myself more than anyone.
Oh? Maybe you need a good reason.. like I said you need a reachable goal.. MDZ seems to be doing it well. =) Or maybe you have to let go of certain conditionings and be more open minded.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Oh? Maybe you need a good reason.. like I said you need a reachable goal.. MDZ seems to be doing it well. =) Or maybe you have to let go of certain conditionings and be more open minded.
I have a few reasonable goals.

#1. Make it out of pools at GSG2:
#2. Be able to consistently fast fall, and l-cancel vs shields.
#3. Surpass a certain pair of players on the AZPR

As for the second part of your post, you'll have to be more specific.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
This post reminds me of SilentSpectre. I pretty much followed him to every setup he played at during Pound 4. He nods in approval every time his opponent does something smart, and also laughs hysterically when he gets death combo'd. He told me that whoever has the most fun playing and learning is eventually who will win. Admirable stuff.
Lol. The SS nod of approval is awesome.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Rubyiris- It's hard. When you feel yourself getting angry you have to stop, hold it in and talk yourself out of it. You have to do it enough until you're programmed to feel a certain way after something bad or good happens.

I'm still working on it myself.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
SilentSpectre is a champ

I'm used to people getting mad at me when we play

So I was like apologizing and stuff when I did some gay things to him at GSG in our pools matches (and ended up winning one game).

And he just seemed happy and carefree about it.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I love playing with you, Tai. I dislike when people don't gay me because I won't learn how to avoid it in tournament.

Plus you're awesome. <3

Signia

Smash Lord
maybe you should start with uploading the "serious sets" and money matches that you lose instead of making up excuses

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
maybe you should start with uploading the "serious sets" and money matches that you lose instead of making up excuses
Why not get your head out of your *** and take a look at my Youtube instead of making baseless remarks.

If you're talking about me vs rob I played HOOOOOOOOOOOORIBLE. What's the point of uploading a set where I'm not even playing at my par? There isn't one, OBVIOUSLY.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Rubyiris- It's hard. When you feel yourself getting angry you have to stop, hold it in and talk yourself out of it. You have to do it enough until you're programmed to feel a certain way after something bad or good happens.

I'm still working on it myself.
Ok, I read your whole first post, and I also noticed M2k playing the same way as Mango, or, I mean, laughing as he played. (I mean at a small local, at Rom3 I'm sure he would need to have had a more serious attitude to win that LOL)

Thing is, I don't think I could LAUGH things off... because, I'm trying my hardest, and playing seriously.

Of course, when I'm dying, I'll usually go like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" but not like "ARRGHH NOOOOO I HATE THIS GAEM".

So I'm not LAUGHING when I'm getting combo'd... I'm TRYING my best to get out of it.

I mean, laughing would make you more relaxed, correct?

Now I go ARGHHHHHH NO when I get a phantom fsmash and die, but of course, I'm not screaming in an angry manner, just being LOUD. lol... But maybe I shouldn't go Argh no after seeing a phantom fsmash, lol. :p That, should be no problem for me, I believe in the heart of the cards.

And I'm doc, my recovery sucks, but I TRY VERY HARD to come back.

and I WILL ALWAYS say that I will make a come back.

If I'm at 1 stock, I try my hardest to get 2 stock. (3 is very hard though, LOL I haven't ever done that)

AND YES. I do tell people to believe in the heart of the cards, or to just BELIEVE. : ]

Or I support them, and I say "YOU CAN BRING THIS BACK!" even if they are fighting M2k. :p

If my friend is fighting Eggm, and is still near a beginning level, I'll say "You can beat him, he's a noob" but Eggm knows I'm only joking, and I know that he is very good.

Top Bottom