• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
@ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 What's your opinion on the megaman MU? I've fought some good Mega Mans (Men?) online that give me a lot of trouble, mostly because of the lemons. I agree with most of your MU opinions though.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Lemons give me a lot of touble too. They just break the pace of the game so abruptly. I've played a couple of good Mega Manz and I think it's probably 50:50, slightly in Mega Man'z favor.

That should be an MU soon after we re-address our faulty Shiek discussion.

Last edited:

KOOMAN

Smash Rookie
NNID
obliviousloser
Any tips on people who sit in shield all match won't take any bait either. Any good tips against very defensive type playstyles in general.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Any tips on people who sit in shield all match won't take any bait either. Any good tips against very defensive type playstyles in general.
Grab beats shield. Do that.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Well, that's what you have to accept when you play Meta Knight. You have to accept that a smart player isn't going to just approach you. Meta Knight has no way to force the opponent to approach so you have to take it slow, like them. It's okay to not immediately approach your opponent. Most of the time you're gonna have to learn how to study their habits and punish them.

That's why I said that a person that specifically stays in their shield is best punished by grabs which is great because Meta Knight has a lot of options out of grabs.

KOOMAN

Smash Rookie
NNID
obliviousloser
Thanks that is my main problem is restrain from being aggressive. I mained mk in brawl and project m so I tend to play that way too much old habits die hard I suppose. So characters are just to safe sometimes.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Thanks that is my main problem is restrain from being aggressive. I mained mk in brawl and project m so I tend to play that way too much old habits die hard I suppose. So characters are just to safe sometimes.
If you want somebody to base that playstyle off of I highly recommend watching Ito. He plays so methodically and is fun to watch at the same time. You can find his games on http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash/profile every Thursday or you can watch individual sets on https://www.youtube.com/user/showdowngg . His Meta Knight is the epitome of the correct way to play and studying how he addresses his matchups will go a long way in helping you improve.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
The people Ito plays against are hella clueless on how to combat MK, that's why he's kinda steamrolling them. They're using top tiers with customs yet still lose, the matches don't last long at all.

Only 6WX seems to grasp on how to fight MK. Anyway can we re discuss the sheik MU today? its outdated.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
against fox at low 0-20% when you land sour dash attack or do a dthrow dash attack, try instant double jump upair into falling nair into the ground, then buffer an upb on landing. it should be a combo now and it didnt work before

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I actually kind of hope people continue to think MK is a bad character, because:

1. it keeps him far away from the nerf-hammer (RIP diddy)
2. it could mean more buffs in future patches (just look at zard)
3. it doesnt encourage people to learn the matchup (easier wins)

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
If people don't learn the matchup, we don't get to grow as a community because we're stuck playing people with rudimentary tactics. Successful MKs are very smart. The more challenges, the better. We know how to cope.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
If people don't learn the matchup, we don't get to grow as a community because we're stuck playing people with rudimentary tactics. Successful MKs are very smart. The more challenges, the better. We know how to cope.
Well, if you body them enough, they'll feel encouraged/forced to learn the MU.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
This balance patch has been amazing for Meta Knight. Some of his worst match ups got unfairly nerfed (poor Diddy Kong and Captain Falcon) and Meta Knight received some wonderful buffs. I've also decided to drop Diddy Kong in favor of going solo Meta Knight. If anyone is interested, you can read my explanation here. Also, I live in NorCal where Ito regularly bodies the best players here. People from my region should learn the matchup soon enough.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Just got out of my first tournament. Played MK. My first matchup was against Dazwa, one of the best players in New England, lol. He played ZSS and bodied me pretty hard. I switched to Pit second game and ended up losing that just as hard. Went on and won two games after that and then got knocked out by a Ness player. Was very fun over all, met some nice people, learned a lot from the friendlies I played, and look forward to improving my game for my next tournament!

The Bracket:

http://competitivegaming.challonge.com/wd9ono58

Last edited:

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
As I keep going to these Texas tourneys, it feels like more and more people are trying to camp me, lol. MK's slowly getting more respect down here. I even met an apparent "fan" at an event. It was a pretty cool experience.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
As I keep going to these Texas tourneys, it feels like more and more people are trying to camp me, lol. MK's slowly getting more respect down here. I even met an apparent "fan" at an event. It was a pretty cool experience.
I'm going to be honest I'd fanboy pretty hard if I met one of you guys that frequent these boards >o<

ZTD | TECHnology

You're doing it right then haha

Last edited:

Dogivet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dogivet
3DS FC
1375-7594-5859
So got some results from recent tourney,

Placed 9th out of 106 so felt that I've been getting better results each time I go. 2-0 all my wins, and 1-2 my losses, so put up a fight each time at least. Shame that there's no recordings, but even with criticism I don't think I'm going out of my way to practice too much.

Lost to Ryu (#5) and Falcon (#6) (both tied for 7th, this is their 'ranking'), respectively, but each with a fairly close last game for the decider.
I've been trying to play a bit more defensive, specifically with my movement with more walking around the stage and I felt that it really help me in a lot of the matches. But I've still got habits to break since I'm going into punish a bit too quickly. (lost the Ryu set by dashing into a charged f-smash for a punish, forgot that Ryu moves forward similar to Mac so I got caught on the tip of the foot)

Ryu is bloody scary for the most part but manageable without a doubt, there were many back and forth moments such as respecting a lot of Ryu's kit, but some things like True Shoryuken are so hard to respect once your caught in the d-tilt light. I think overall it's gonna be a fun match up despite what Ryu is capable of. (Though I may regret that later since this WAS a week 1 Ryu)

As for Falcon I just need more practice on the match up. All I can really think is that I got out jabbed and recovering from the ledge has very limited options against Falcon.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace

Huge congratulations to Ito for getting a sponsor that will be paying for his trip to EVO. :D

warionumbah2

Smash Master
We need to talk guys, the MUs across the board has changed alot now. Lemme tell you guys again, our neutral got buffed and our ground game is even better than it was before(which was already top tier).

Falcon for example still beats us in neutral but now we can fight back, we can actually jab to stop his approaches. The only moves that outrange or beat our jab is Falcons dash attack,f smash, sh bair(sometimes) and falcon kick. He can jump over it if we are obvious, but he must full hop since the final hit goes in an arc similar to Ftilt 3.

The jab messing up his recovery is not an accident/fluke, I consistently **** on falcons recovery by spacing the lower hit. Don't know if it effects other characters but Falcon extends his hurtbox when using his Up B(4th gif) so the jab will hit him before he can snap the ledge. I've become so jab happy in neutral its amazing. Also using Ftilt after F smash is useless, jab is superior in everyway in that scenario.

Comes out on the same frame but the jab hitbox lingers and the range is better than Ftilt 1 and 2.

Here's multiple gifs of me pulling this off. Sometimes it doesn't gimp him but Falcon overshoots the ledge sometimes due to mashing up B(if he doesn't mash he dies and if he misses an input he dies), which gives me a free punish sadly i missed them alot because im still baffled that im actually getting this to work lol.

Good luck Ito, im shocked he's actually going to EVO since it'll be the most cancerous custom get together in 2015.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
hmmm its a bit embarassing i really didnt think people would care that much. they also told me to make a twitter a few days ago but i havent made any tweets yet.

the jab edgeguard thing i usually use when theyre trying to choose a get up option because its pretty unreliable for me trying to hit people below stage though it does work sometimes. what i do is shield in front of (almost on top of) neutral get up position and then immediately unshield and buffer jab right when theyre about to pick an option. it covers them staying on the ledge which tornado doesnt + it sends them at a worse angle back off stage. if they pick drop down double jump and get hit by jab some characters are put in a really terrible position as well.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
hmmm its a bit embarassing i really didnt think people would care that much. they also told me to make a twitter a few days ago but i havent made any tweets yet.

the jab edgeguard thing i usually use when theyre trying to choose a get up option because its pretty unreliable for me trying to hit people below stage though it does work sometimes. what i do is shield in front of (almost on top of) neutral get up position and then immediately unshield and buffer jab right when theyre about to pick an option. it covers them staying on the ledge which tornado doesnt + it sends them at a worse angle back off stage. if they pick drop down double jump and get hit by jab some characters are put in a really terrible position as well.
Its only reliable against Falcon, since his up b is basically a grab and his hurtbox extends alot. I'm glad cuz he's a stupid character to fight.

MK dittos = DA + DG + Running/Walking + Jab

Jab beats Drill Rush, YAY for MK being annoying despite me maining him. Alot of people care because you're the best MK in the world, you're a celeb like it or not. :p

ZTD | TECHnology

You inspire us dude haha

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
And with the exception of Nanerz, you already have more Twitter followers than any other notable NorCal player. Your amazing performances with Meta Knight has been getting a lot of people's attention, including players from the west coast. [LINK] Whenever I watch the Come On and Ban streams, a lot of people seem to be the most interested in your Meta Knight. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if traffic for the streams dropped once you go back to SoCal. You're basically carrying the metagame for Meta Knight and proved to people he's viable, all while destroying the competition. Wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing way more Meta Knight players in the future because of you. That tweet I linked from the player Angel Cortez? He's now picking up Meta Knight because Diddy got nerfed and because you showed off Meta Knight's potential.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
The buffs hasn't drawn in any new players atm, the buffs don't lower the skill floor.

I fear people will try to do uair combo's and all that 'Ito' stuff but they end up looking like aggressive scrubs(ones that can't play neutral or bait to save their life). Its like C.Falcon noobs wanting knees in every game, or Mario players wanting a fair spike.

If we are getting new players I hope they're sadistic, would love to see MK camping people out effectively.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
The buffs hasn't drawn in any new players atm, the buffs don't lower the skill floor.

I fear people will try to do uair combo's and all that 'Ito' stuff but they end up looking like aggressive scrubs(ones that can't play neutral or bait to save their life). Its like C.Falcon noobs wanting knees in every game, or Mario players wanting a fair spike.
Yeah, those upair strings are pretty tough to do, at least for me, so I only go for them once in a while. I'll do like 2 hits and then upB, cuz I dont wanna drop it and look like a noob, lol.

If we are getting new players I hope they're sadistic, would love to see MK camping people out effectively.
I just hope they're able to quickly get over the notion that MK plays and works like he did in brawl.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Wait a few months and you'll probably start seeing way more Meta Knight players because of Ito and the buffs

Yeah, those upair strings are pretty tough to do, at least for me, so I only go for them once in a while. I'll do like 2 hits and then upB, cuz I dont wanna drop it and look like a noob, lol.
I can do a lot of up air strings to up special fine, but I suck at doing enough up airs strings to lead into an up special kill at low percentages. Something I need to lab quite a bit soon now that Diddy Kong is no longer my primary focus. Completely neglected Meta Knight for about a month because I was trying to relearn my matchups for 1.0.6 Diddy Kong since he got nerfed so hardcore last time, which now was a waste of time because of 1.0.8. -_-

Top Bottom