• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I got 1st out of 27 entrants when I visted Canada yesterday. I beat one of our PR players (:4mario:)in both Winner's Finals and Grand Finals 6-1 between the two sets. It was a fun evening. <3

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
So, before the holiday come up, I was going to post about this. So, I'm sitting at 2 mains, and I'm tempted to pick 1 or 2 more back up. I'm debating between:
:4mewtwo: Now that he's been buffed, and considerably better, it's tempting to pick this old favorite up. Granted, the rough start when he came out has left a bad aftertaste, if you catch my meaning.
:4greninja: The only one of the 8 characters I started with that I've kept debating on. He'd be good for a secondary to my knowledge, considering he covers both MK and Lucina's MUs well.
:4cloud: FF7 is a childhood favorite, and Cloud's always been an interesting character in my eyes. Seems fun, viable, and reliable...albeit a bit janky for me.
:4corrin:/:4corrinf: This one is pure speculation, but this fighter seems like tabs should be kept on them. Nothing is concrete though, so I'll have to wait and see.

GAH! I've always had to make choices like this difficult. Hopefully you all have some wise words to point me in the correct direction. Who knows, maybe 3 is a bad idea, and I should instead cycle some of these into secondaries. Anywho, I wanted to finalize this and post it now, in case I'm busy for the next few days, and say I hope you all have happy holidays!

tyro8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tyro888
Cloud is better he covers the sonic weakness Greninja is cool but he is difficult to play like really difficult. I would say Cloud. Corn aint even in the game yet. Idk if mewtwo helps in the sonic MU because i doubt he would beat sheik or ZSS he is weak

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Mewtwo is relatively good vs Sonic in theory... Gets boned by the blondes though I would imagine.

Also I don't think Greninja is insanely difficult to play like people make out; playing optimally does require a LOT of experience with the character though (like most characters).

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
Hey guys I think theres a bit misinformation on the sheik b-throw and f-throw combos. So it seems that if sheik di's down she can tech b-throw so thats not a combo, but it can set up for a tech chase. Also, its hard for sheik to react and tech the backthrow so thats a bonus. Now f-throw might be a better throw to combo with. Even if sheik tries to di it, the amount of distance changed is negligible. You should use this for the bair lock combo.
Also I'm going to start labbing out how the three different versions of shuttle loop affect the kill combo so, if someone has done that tell me now.

Last edited:

Twiranitar

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I think theres a bit misinformation on the sheik b-throw and f-throw combos. So it seems that if sheik di's down she can tech b-throw so thats not a combo, but it can set up for a tech chase. Also, its hard for sheik to react and tech the backthrow so thats a bonus. Now f-throw might be a better throw to combo with. Even if sheik tries to di it, the amount of distance changed is negligible. You should use this for the bair lock combo.
Also I'm going to start labbing out how the three different versions of shuttle loop affect the kill combo so, if someone has done that tell me now.
B-throw and F-throw 0-to deaths are mix-ups, not guaranteed. Same with FF B-air. However, they are likely to succeed and are low risk, very high reward sequences. Against a good and knowledgeable player, I believe you are better doing D-throw stuff. (Also, lol at the "MK mains are hiding the death combo information so they can thrive on ignorance!!!" thread).

ZTD | TECHnology

The new Michigan Power Rankings:

1. Pulse | Zinoto :4diddy::4metaknight::4palutena:
2. Pulse | LOE1 :4luigi::4littlemac::4wario2: +2
3. Regralht :4yoshi::4ganondorf: +3
4. FS | SETHsational :4falcon: +4
5. Ksev :4fox:
6. Shockwave | Lou Rich :4sheik::4sonic: +1
7. Smasher1001 :4mario::4megaman: +5
8. Pulse | Technology :4metaknight: - New!
9. Mikey Lenetia :4peach: +2
10. Pulse | Stewy :4sonic: - Returning!

First time being ranked. :)

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
The new Michigan Power Rankings:

1. Pulse | Zinoto :4diddy::4metaknight::4palutena:
2. Pulse | LOE1 :4luigi::4littlemac::4wario2: +1
3. Regralht :4yoshi::4ganondorf: +3
4. FS | SETHsational :4falcon: +4
5. Ksev :4fox:
6. Shockwave | Lou Rich :4sheik::4sonic: +1
7. Smasher1001 :4mario::4megaman: +5
8. Pulse | Technology :4metaknight: - New!
9. Mikey Lenetia :4peach: +2
10. Pulse | Stewy :4sonic: - Returning!

First time being ranked. :)
Congrats on finally being ranked Tech, I know it's been something you've been working towards so good job.

Also happy new year to everybody.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I think I've figured out what I'm going to do now. I think I'm going to set my focus onto :4metaknight: and :4lucina:, rather than try and add a 3rd or 4th main again. Probably what I should've done since the beginning, but I think it'll help, as I've hit a roadblock of sorts trying to learn 5/6 different characters. Speaking of which, I've stuck with my co-mains Meta Knight and Lucina since the 3ds days, they're the only 2 that have stayed on the main list, whereas the other 10 or so characters were removed.
Characters considered during 3DS: :4luigi: :4falco: :4marth: *:4metaknight: :4sonic: :4lucario: :4greninja: :4robinm:/:4robinf: *:4lucina: :4shulk:
Characters considered during Wii U launch: *:4metaknight: :4sonic: :4lucario: :rosalina: :4greninja: :4robinm:/:4robinf: *:4lucina: :4shulk:
Characters considered during Mewtwo release: :4mewtwo: *:4metaknight: :4lucario: :rosalina: :4greninja: *:4lucina:
Characters considered during Roy, Ryu, and Lucas release: :4feroy: :4mewtwo: *:4metaknight: :4lucario: :4greninja: *:4lucina:
Characters considered during Cloud release: :4mewtwo: *:4metaknight: *:4lucina: :4cloud:

Now this doesn't take into account :4corrin:/:4corrinf:, who is the latest character to pique my interest, but since they won't come out until February, I think that'll give me a good amount of time to buckle down on these 2.
Anyways, happy new year all.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92

I got a Meta Knight hoodie for Christmas btw. Be jealous

ZTD | TECHnology

I entered Dismantle 2 in Chicago as the only Meta Knight main to have made it into the Top 64 bracket. (no Katakiri did not attend).

I took 25th out of 259 losing to only MVD :4diddy: in pools, Dan :4mario:in Winner's and Mister Eric :4rob:in a last hit, Game 3 set in Loser's. I went all :4metaknight: with the exception of one set in Loser's bracket against a :4sonic:. **** that MU lmao. I got bopped after Game 2 so I dittoed him and won. And I timed him out. Felt good. :yeahboi:

I learned a **** ton and did well. But I know I can do a lot better.

Last edited:

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
I wish Dismantle wasn't right after New Years; left the Midwest to go back to Texas for the holidays. Congrats though Tech. Wish you got more stream time besides your one set against MVD.

ZTD | TECHnology

I wish Dismantle wasn't right after New Years; left the Midwest to go back to Texas for the holidays. Congrats though Tech. Wish you got more stream time besides your one set against MVD.
Same here but I'll just get better so people want to see me play more ^_^. And thank you!

Last edited:

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
Same here but I'll just get better so people want to see me play more ^_^. And thank you!
I want to see you play more right now lol. I need to get back to Calder Clash again. You may not remember me, but I was that Villager/Yoshi player you gave advice to I think at Calder 3 (might've been 2).

Anyways, I actually want to learn some stuff from you as I decided to pick up Meta Knight. I've always wanted to main him, in the beginning I didn't want to play him because of how broken he was in Brawl. I wanted to see how he would develop. I love Meta Knight as an actual character and really as the fighter I should've picked from the start. I'd really like it if you could help me out as I explore this character.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Yo, way to represent, Tech!:4metaknight:

I've been flying under the radar, avoiding super-heavy OoS competition until my MK & Mewtwo are ready by my own definition. That doesn't mean I haven't been competing, I just haven't been chasing after top players.

Saturday I was in Louisville, Kentucky. Took 1st in Singles out of 80-something entrants as well as 1st in Doubles.
Sunday I was in Akron, Ohio. Took 1st in Singles and Doubles again but more importantly to me, I landed the true MK 0-death from F-Throw on Suyon's ZSS, landed MK's RAR D-Air > D-Air > Mid-air Jump B-Air gimp from the ledge, and I double 2-stocked TekNo's Sheik in Grands with Mewtwo to close it out.
A nice, exhausting $550-profit weekend with tons of great experience.

Unfortunately, Zinoto and Ally are coming down to me this upcoming Saturday at SOS. I feel like how Semi-Perfect Cell felt when Vegeta fought him before he could absorb 18. Just a little longer and I can give them a real challenge. Time to double-down on lab time this week and drive down to Cinci Thursday for extra practice.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
My New Years Resolution was to try and get better at the whole competitive scene, as I've made SOME progress, but not enough in my eyes. In a year, I've went from 8 mains, to 2 mains and 2 potentials.
Current Mains:
:4lucina: Was once my best character, now lies around #2, rarely #3 out of the 5 I use. That's ok though, attempting to main/learn all these different characters and changing my mind this past year has probably put a dent in that. Plus she's mid/high low tier, so I'm not surprised I'm not doing the greatest with her. As I've said multiple times, I knew I'd main her as soon as I saw the trailer.
:4metaknight: Typically rated as my absolute best, but considering I don't like the idea of ONLY having 1 main, I've been attempting to get him company. My combos have been lacking, considering the soul searching I've done. One of the characters I main everytime he's in the game, so I've played him since Brawl.

Recently Dropped:
:4corrin:/:4corrinf: after watching the direct over again, I questioned if I'd even enjoy them. So for now, they're out, but I'll still pick them up next month to see what they have to offer for a potential counter.
:4cloud: As much as I like Cloud and FF7, he's proven to be my worst character compared to the other 4 that I use. Dropping him, but still going to keep him in mind for counterpicks.

Final Choices:
:4mewtwo: My old main from Melee and PM, I've played him frequently and he was my most wanted fighter for Smash 4. After he was nerfed, I dropped him ultimately, however, with his recent buffs, his viability is back into question. Now I wonder, if he's viable enough to pick back up, or if he's still not ultimately worth the time. He's also incredibly underrepresented from what I can tell.
:4greninja: I was fooled by the ninja, but considering that I hoped for some Gen 6 representation in Smash, and that my 3rd favorite Pokemon got in, I had no arguments there. His playstyle is fun, his place on the tier list is...unknown to me, he's underused, and he's incredibly potent.

Whew boy, that'll be a rough choice...but at least I'm not trying to learn 5-10 different characters like last year. At least now I've got it lowered to 4. Just one more and I should be set...I'd think. Then I can actually start truly playing competitively...and stop asking about "what character I should use" with long posts like this. Any help from you fellow Knights would be appreciated, knowing what the MUs would be and what MK could have as a backup.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I want to see you play more right now lol. I need to get back to Calder Clash again. You may not remember me, but I was that Villager/Yoshi player you gave advice to I think at Calder 3 (might've been 2).

Anyways, I actually want to learn some stuff from you as I decided to pick up Meta Knight. I've always wanted to main him, in the beginning I didn't want to play him because of how broken he was in Brawl. I wanted to see how he would develop. I love Meta Knight as an actual character and really as the fighter I should've picked from the start. I'd really like it if you could help me out as I explore this character.
You're Ben from Battle Creek right? I definitely remember you. Nice to see you here and I'm happy to help for sure. Thank you for the kind words :D

Yo, way to represent, Tech!:4metaknight:

I've been flying under the radar, avoiding super-heavy OoS competition until my MK & Mewtwo are ready by my own definition. That doesn't mean I haven't been competing, I just haven't been chasing after top players.

Saturday I was in Louisville, Kentucky. Took 1st in Singles out of 80-something entrants as well as 1st in Doubles.
Sunday I was in Akron, Ohio. Took 1st in Singles and Doubles again but more importantly to me, I landed the true MK 0-death from F-Throw on Suyon's ZSS, landed MK's RAR D-Air > D-Air > Mid-air Jump B-Air gimp from the ledge, and I double 2-stocked TekNo's Sheik in Grands with Mewtwo to close it out.
A nice, exhausting $550-profit weekend with tons of great experience.

Unfortunately, Zinoto and Ally are coming down to me this upcoming Saturday at SOS. I feel like how Semi-Perfect Cell felt when Vegeta fought him before he could absorb 18. Just a little longer and I can give them a real challenge. Time to double-down on lab time this week and drive down to Cinci Thursday for extra practice.
Thanks yo. Good stuff to you btw killing it in your area.

For me... Had to take my training to the next level. I am fiending for out of state events as a result. I feel like right now, that's where the most growth potential is for me. I've noticed a large boost in skill lately but I'm not not anywhere near satisfied yet. I'm going through a growth spurt so to speak so I'm gonna keep this traveling and experience up. I want to show everyone that it was no fluke that I ended up on the Power Rankings this season and the only way to move from here is up.

Speaking of out of state....I'm teaming with Ally for that event this weekend. Excited because Ohio has a much better understanding of how to deal with Meta Knight than Michigan overall. See you in Ohio!

Last edited:

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Dude TECHnology I idolize you (and your Meta Knight, UGH I love meta knight)~
I also live in Michigan, in the Midland Area~
I may message you if I need tips on where to find tournaments.
(god your meta knight is great)

ZTD | TECHnology

Dude TECHnology I idolize you (and your Meta Knight, UGH I love meta knight)~
I also live in Michigan, in the Midland Area~
I may message you if I need tips on where to find tournaments.
(god your meta knight is great)

Haha thank you man. I have so much work to do but I'm certainly getting there. And are you in the Michigan Smash 4 Facebook Group? If not, I can add you. I am an administrator there.

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
You're Ben from Battle Creek right? I definitely remember you. Nice to see you here and I'm happy to help for sure. Thank you for the kind words :D
Yes, that's me. :D I am also in the Michigan Smash 4 group and the West MI Smash woi u/3ds group as well. I currently have finals coming up but I could possibly contact you after all those end, if that's ok? Also, no need to thank me for the kind words, you deserve them.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
all the fresh new mk players on the board is heartening, welcome all, join the skype chat if you can

ZTD | TECHnology

Oh so I've been in the lab hella hard and came across something that I've accidentally done before and thought "That's useful. Why not try to make it consistent." So I tried. And the results are hilarious and awesome. I'll be coming at you with a kill setup I see no one try to use and it's not nearly as difficult to make consistent as you would think. It has practical uses as well as more creative ones. I'm probably going to make a big post here with pictures and ****. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Shintarru

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1676-4016-3956
Im just learning MK right now and I have to say the boards here are great. Any questions I might of had is answered with all of the resources you guys have here.

ZTD | TECHnology

We try to stay pretty accessible and informative here. If you have specific questions that can't be reasonably encapsulated in a general resource, make sure to hit up the Q & A thread. Myself and the other ore experienced MKs try to answer all inquiries within a timely manner. I'm also always on the computer anyway for work so why not pop on here? Welcome to the boards btw.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
@Post way before this

Mewtwo is actually pretty good from what i've seen from Abadango. Its not a waste of time learning him thats for sure, unlike Zelda, Marth [insert unviable characters here].

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
@Post way before this

Mewtwo is actually pretty good from what i've seen from Abadango. Its not a waste of time learning him thats for sure, unlike Zelda, Marth [insert unviable characters here].
Well I am still co-maining Lucina, and she is at least semi-viable in my eyes. Same with Marth, except higher up yet. I don't see the whole "It's a waste of time to learn them" mentality. Using the Japanese Tier List as an example, albeit a rather bad example considering it's rather flawed...regardless, I could see Marth and Lucina about mid/lower C+, not really lower. Like Pit and Dark Pit, there's a slight advantage on picking Marth over Lucina, but it's not enough to split them apart by 1 or 2 tiers, when there's only slight differences. Yeah they have flaws, but they still have options that warrant a higher rating than what people give them.

In case you've already seen it, I put the tier list in a spoiler tag, so it's completely optional to view.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
How does MK does vs. Olimar, Cloud, Villager, and Luigi?
Looking for a potential secondary to deal with MK? :p Most Meta Knights feel he wins the Olimar matchup, though I encounter and witness the matchup so rarely that it's hard for me personally to have a strong view of it at this point. Though when @ItoI6 plays against an Olimar player, he always makes the matchup look horrible for him.

Cloud...it's hard to say. I haven't heard much discussion about the matchup because Cloud is so new, but one nice option Cloud has over many other characters in the matchup is that he can kill Meta Knight at 0% if he screws up his kill confirms. [LINK] However, Cloud is way less of a threat if Limit is not charged. MK doesn't have to worry about getting punished anywhere near as hard for missed kill confirms and he can edge guard Cloud very well.

Not quite sure if Villager or Meta Knight wins that matchup at this point. Judging by sets I've watching involving Ranai and Abadango, it looks like a very doable matchup for both characters. There aren't any notable California Villager players, so neither Ito and Tyrant looked like they ever fought anyone that gave them much trouble with the matchup unless customs were on. Pre-patch custom Villager with exploding balloons in the customs meta was by far one of MK's worst matchups, but customs are dead now and Villager's custom balloons were hard nerfed.

I feel pre-patch Luigi won the match about 55:45 and for MK to win, he frequently would have to not approach and abuse Luigi's limited (yet disgustingly powerful) neutral. After the nerfs, Luigi's fireballs and grabs are nowhere near as much of a threat all while stuck with horrible aerial mobility that makes escaping MK's combos a ****ing *****. The worst aspects of the matchup just no longer apply all while MK can still exploit his weakness really badly.

I'd say Olimar and Luigi lose the matchups, it's too early to say with Cloud because he's a new character with insane potential, and Ranai has shown the matchup is definitely doable against a player like Abadango. No-one comes close to invalidating Meta Knight in the default meta after all the buffs he received. Some people view ZSS as MK's worst matchup, but Abadango took sets off of both Choco and Nairo with MK and once stated on stream that he viewed the matchup as 50:50.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
One thing that annoys me about this character is that i can no longer pick up a random secondary to avoid MK dittos. I can't jump on ZSS as if she has any sort of advantage anymore because really and truly she doesn't, as MK gets better dittos become more cancer and it becomes near impossible to pick up a competent secondary for those dittos.

Edit: You nervous about Abadango Kappa?

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
tfw not even Sheik is a comfortable counterpick to avoid the ditto.
I go Sonic because he's fairly easy to use, also there is a bit of mental stress caused to my opponent.
:196:

Top Bottom