• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Most Important Aspect

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Which aspect of professional Smash do you think is the most important, the most crucial to victory?

Is it fast reflexes, fast fingers, adaptation, observation, vast knowledge,
camping
, or something else?

Uck

Smash Journeyman
In my humble opinion I seem to get faster,learn to adapt,observe better,and grow my knowledge the more I train and play.

So my answer would be experiance.

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
In order:

Observation
Adaptation
Vast Knowledge
Fast Reflexes
Fast Fingers
Camping (lol)

That's what I think anyway. Observing is CRUCIAL. Interesting to hear what others thing though.

Flare233

Smash Journeyman
In order:

Observation
Adaptation
Vast Knowledge
Fast Reflexes
Fast Fingers
Camping (lol)

That's what I think anyway. Observing is CRUCIAL. Interesting to hear what others thing though.
I agree with you on the importance of all those. Tech skills aren't in there probably because it is assumed that every pro has mastered every tech skill. Maybe you could fit them into vast knowledge or fast fingers.

c0nker

Smash Apprentice
Knowledge and Observation.

Know how things work, and look at how your opponent uses them.

All teh wave dashing/shining/landing in the world will bring you nothing if your entire strategy is to act, and not react.

equal and opposite is how one should play, because with this strategy, you won't be crushed nearly as much

dguy6789

Smash Lord
In Smash, there are two aspects of a player: The technical capability and the mental strategy. I don't want to use the term mind games as it is just used way too much these days and often incorrectly at that.

It is my opinion that the mental aspect of the game serves as a far more important component to gameplay than technical skill. This is why people who have recently learned wave dashing and such may find themselves still not beating everybody in their group who doesn't do the techniques.

Technical skill is simply the level at which a player can control the character. How fast can you move, how well can you perform the advanced techniques, how often do you make mistakes in movement or attacks? How good is your timing? Although there are many more parts to it, that is enough of an example to show basically what it is that I am trying to say. Technical skill is required to be able to do well in a competitive environment and it can take a long time to get to a high level depending on the person and the character. However, it is of a lesser importance than the other aspect: The Mental one.

The mental game is what separates the good players from the great ones. Every "good" player can do what they want to do most of the time. They can wave shine, pillar, moon walk, ect... with no real issue. Then why do some players do better than others in tournaments? It all lies in how they play the game using what they know.

Some of the terms used earlier in the thread fit into the mental aspect category: Observation, Adaptation, Knowledge. Knowledge can probably be used interchangeably with experience. A Smasher who has been to many tournaments will in all probability be able to beat one who has not been to any, but that is common knowledge.

Knowing what to do and how to act in different situations is absolutely imperative to the game. Being able to learn from your past experiences ties into this. Many people simply watch matches at tourneys just to pass time until it is their turn. Others will watch the matches and learn from them. What are the players doing, why are they doing that, are their choices logical?

When you are playing a match and you find that what you are doing isn't working, do you give up and assume that the opponent will win the match or do you try something else? The ability to change your tactics on the fly in the middle of a match is critical to being a good Smasher.

Simply put, the concepts of knowledge, observation, and adaptation all tie into each other. You can't really adapt without knowledge of what to do in said situation, and you can't have knowledge of what to do if you have not observed it before. It is of my opinion that these concepts are more important to a player than how fast they can move their fingers.

Spot

Smash Cadet
I'm going to go with adaptation. Even an expert can be bested if they are too used to certain opponents. One must be able to fight off one enemy, and then immediately battle another. Different adversaries and different stages will always demand some degree of adaptation, which makes it the most important aspect in my opinion. Also, observation doesn't seem that important to me beyond what comes naturally.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
the highest aspect is a player's natural potential then it is technical k nowledge

180OP

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gonna repeat the lists, but I also think spacing is a key element. Many people have a hard time winning because of being shield grabbed too often.

You also should have a good methodic approach to open up your opponent.

Top Bottom