• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Most Inspired Moveset

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Which character do you think has the most fitting/inspired moveset for themself?

Some characters, like Captain Falcon, were kind of given movesets that were completely original because they lacked fighting moves form their games. This even goes for their Special Moves.

A lot of standard attacks and Aerials are easily recognizable as filler moves, like Mario's U-air and B-air, or something along those lines.

But what character has the moveset that matches them most and is the most inspired?

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Matches the character most: Peach, Pikachu, Olimar, Snake, G&W, Yoshi, Samus, Sonic.

Most inspired: hmmm, I'll pass. Probably Peach since her attacks are "unique." She never starred any game before Melee, only SMB 2, where her floating is from. C.Falcon's attacks are good, but just Falcon Punch and Kick, the other ones are meh, only kicks or punches.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
For ones most faithful to the original games:
Olimar - save Pikmin plucking, but there's no way around that
Mr. Game and Watch

Least faithful:
Ness: Only one of his PSI used is his. At the very least, he uses yo-yos and baseball bats.
Lucas: Honestly, you could've put any of the MOTHER girls in his place, change the PSI effects, and no one would notice.
Ike: I can't say this for sure, but I've heard that his weapon was never a two-handed sword.
Ganondorf - Does this even need to be said?

Most fitting:
Wolf
Zelda
Peach
Bowser

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

M.K

Level 55
Pikachu doesn't learn "Thunder Jolt" (not a real move) or "Skull Bash" (Exclusive to the Squirtle Line, if you don't breed).

Olimar is pretty close, but he never uses his Pikmin like a chain.

I'd have to say...Mario, Diddy Kong, or Mr. Game and Watch....

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Pikachu doesn't learn "Thunder Jolt" (not a real move) or "Skull Bash" (Exclusive to the Squirtle Line, if you don't breed).

Olimar is pretty close, but he never uses his Pikmin like a chain.

I'd have to say...Mario, Diddy Kong, or Mr. Game and Watch....
I think Thunder Jolt was an attack from the TCG, but that may be irrelevant. However, Pikachu was able to learn Skull Bash at one point. I just checked Bulbapedia to confirm this: Pikachu can learn Skull Bash via TM 40 in generation 1.

Diddy's is amazingly original and drawn upon.
Yeah, but he should've had the guitar and charge attacks from DK 64 as well.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Falcon punch is from the anime. And I would imagine they just took everything else and kinda shaped it from there.
Actually, the Falcon Punch came about four years before the anime started.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Mr. Game & Watch, by far. They took all his different games and made all his attacks from them... I don't think ANY of his attacks are entirely made up.

And Falcon Punch was made up by SSB first. The anime took it from there.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ike: I can't say this for sure, but I've heard that his weapon was never a two-handed sword.
Ragnell actually is a two-handed sword used in FE9 and FE10, and it's Ike's legendary weapon.

However, I do agree that, while the style is unique for Ike, it's actually not like him. Ike is ALOT faster than what Brawl makes him out to be.

RageofNidhogg

Smash Rookie
Falcon Punch is actually not from the anime as so many people claim. Falcon punch was originally seen in the original smash bros, which came out in 1999. The anime came out in 2003. So basically the anime took falcon punch from smash, not the other way around.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I think what he meant was that the Falcon Punch became a canon ability for Captain Falcon because of the anime.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Olimar, Snake, Peach, Diddy, Yoshi, Shiek, Zelda, Samus, Pit, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Rob, King Dedede

Those are the only characters with very original movesets IMO. Everybody else has a pretty generic moveset that are filled with a lot of filler attacks.
Not only that, some of them don't do the characters justice.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I'd have to say Lucario, his moveset is pretty original if you look at his normal attacks (keep in mind that I don't play Pokémon and haven't seen the movie).
Also, his ''kind'' is Aura, and when I think of Aura, I think of peace, harmony and living in content, and that's exactly what it feels like when you fight with him. Can't exactly explain why it feels like this, but just think about charging your smashes, it's got a good feel to it.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Peach-because her move set is original and I wanted to see how she would fight in a dress.
Zelda-because I like her magic attacks which goes well for her and same with the dress.
Wolf- his move set seems fitting for him especially his claws.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
As an actual fan of Game and Watch games, Game and Watch for sure. That's obvious though. Diddy Kong also has tons of little things taken from DKC and DK 64. Link to an extent.

Veggi

Smash Champion
As an actual fan of Game and Watch games, Game and Watch for sure. That's obvious though. Diddy Kong also has tons of little things taken from DKC and DK 64. Link to an extent.
Game and Watch seems the best to me as well. What little things were taken from DKC and DK 64, I don't really know much about Diddy, just Donkey. As much of a task as this is, could you tell me some history behind his moves?

Sonic and Snake have really true movesets, Mario's is OK. Although CF never had any moves from his games, I think they did a good job making an original moveset for him and his playstyle does resemble being hit by a car.

Donkey Kong's I'm really dissapointed with, he has so much potential for a good original moveset from his games and they gave him a horrible filler moveset, save down-b, fair, cargo and possibly ftilt.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
I think that Mario's Special Moveset is inspired well, but some of his other attacks aren't.

His U-air, his B-air... D-Tilt...

That stuff.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Mario......
Fireball from Super Mario Bros
Up B from super mario bros
Cape from a lot of mario games
Fludd from super mario sunshine.

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
Game and Watch definitely, snake, and wario. They all show the most signs of their roots. Luigi's move set is most representative of his personality.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Captain Falcon has the best and most inspired moveset in every game.

EDIT: Seriously.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Which begs the question. Why was Link's generic leaping sword attack not included in Smash? Its disappointing, could have been an attack capable of shield breaking.
Woah there. That would have been an attempt to actually make Link good in a Smash game, which you know Hal Laboratories can't do that.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
When a say most representative moveset I mean to include normals, too. With that in mind, Mario's not that inspired.

P.E

Smash Apprentice
Some characters, like Captain Falcon, were kind of given movesets that were completely original because they lacked fighting moves form their games. This even goes for their Special Moves.
Why does everyone only mention Capt Falcon? Fox´s Moveset was also completely original (at least on N64, his ForwardSmash in Melee and Brawl looks like sth from Starfox Adv)

BTW I miss Falcon´s ForwardSmash from the 1st Smash Bros. :mad:

Kingdrom

Smash Cadet
Lucario's moveset is not as original as you think. The only thing it uses is Aura Sphere from Pokemon, in different forms. Sonic's moveset is rather disappointing as well. His Bair is shared by Samus and Fox, while his Fair is the same as Falco's. The rest of the moveset is good though.

Olimar's moveset is a bit stale, but original. Come on, does every B > move and smash have to be a pikmin throw?

Ganondorf is the biggest, worst ripoff of Captain Falcon in terms of moveset only. However, I actually like Snake's original moveset, as well as Lucas's (when not compared to Ness). At least every character not named Marth has some original moves.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Lucario's moveset is not as original as you think. The only thing it uses is Aura Sphere from Pokemon, in different forms. Sonic's moveset is rather disappointing as well. His Bair is shared by Samus and Fox, while his Fair is the same as Falco's. The rest of the moveset is good though.

Olimar's moveset is a bit stale, but original. Come on, does every B > move and smash have to be a pikmin throw?

Ganondorf is the biggest, worst ripoff of Captain Falcon in terms of moveset only. However, I actually like Snake's original moveset, as well as Lucas's (when not compared to Ness). At least every character not named Marth has some original moves.
I think the reason Sonic's moveset is somewhat uninspired is due to his supposedly being added in late in development, resulting in the developer's simply having to quickly throw on some moves for him. Notice all his Special's have him in ball, with similar animations, only doing things slightly differently. And his D-air, F-air, B-air, and D-Tilt are take-offs of other characters.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I think that Mario's Special Moveset is inspired well, but some of his other attacks aren't.

His U-air, his B-air... D-Tilt...

That stuff.
His u-air sort of looks like him doing a backflip and I remember Mario doing his d-tilt in SM64DS, although it's a vague memory. I actually dislike Mario's special moves more than his standards. Cape performs nothing like it did in the games and Super Jump Punch is incredibly lame and boring, to top it off, hitting a block in Super Mario would actually hinder Mario's recovery. IMO Luma Spin should be neutral b and perform the cape's functions (skip reflecting energy projectiles, solid projectiles have had it too easy anyway) and act as a recovery. Fireballs mapped to side-b and up-b turned to FLUDD hover nozzel (you couldn't even get rid of Mario's second function in SMS and any one of them could help him recovery, yet Mario just lets himself die.) IMO Mario needs a recovery better suited to the king of platforming.

Top Bottom