• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the music thread

Lovage

Smash Hero
what do you listen to? whats the biggest artist/group on your mind right now that just doesnt get enough attention? link us!

SuperRad

Smash Master
This should be interesting:

My favorite band has been Against Me! for a while now, despite the fact that they've put out some **** albums recently. They really guided my thinking when I was 12 or 13, and even now that they've "sold out" they can't take that back.
In particular, this song has always resonated with me.
Against Me! - Untitled

I listen to some metal, usually stuff that is super heavy and/or slow. (Stoner, Drone, Doom, etc)
Sleep - Dragonaut
Boris - Pink

yeah thats it for now

JDM

Smash Champion
I'm probably the last person anybody would think of that listens to Melodic Mainstream Hardcore(Gabber)

I can't post links cause I'm on the itouch so I'll just name some good songs you can YouTube and see what I listen to.

Osiris - Get this ***** earthquaking
Mike NRG - Lost in Dreams(weapon X remix)
Nosferatu - Outshine any competition
Prankster - Hustlers and Killers
Evil Activities ft. DJ Neophyte - Back on track
The Stunned Guys: Hymn (Amnesys Remix)
Outblast - Infinity
T Junction - Invincible

At the drive-in
Radiohead
Explosions in the Sky
Les Savy Fav
Tera Melos
Godspeed You Black Emperor
The Beatles
Sigur Ros
The Locust
Arab on Radar
The Mars Volta
Sparta
Mock Orange
Modest Mouse
Pinback
Born With A Tail
Pele
The Mercury Program
The Doors
Elliott Smith
Aloha
Daft Punk
David Bowie
Flight of the Conchords
Green Day
Hi Ho Six Shooter
Le Shok
The Smiths
Koji Kondo(nintendo)
They Might Be Giants
Ugly Casanova
Mos Def
eyedea
beastie boys
wu tang
public enemy
biggie
ratatat
hores the band
neskimos
minibosses
mc chris

These are the main bands I listen to, besides random songs by other artists. Oh and my band, In good hands and other bands i know.

at the drive in is probably my favorite band. it got me into all of the underground stuff which is better then everything else ever. but **** atdi is too good.

ATDI <3
r.i.p.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
nope dont have that one =[
i have
Help!
Rubber Soul
The White Album
Abbey Road

Ahhhhh kids and their rock and techno. I doubt anyone shares my tastes, but ah well here's a link to some (more modern) jazz. This here's music for musicians. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usnjclLNnTI
the mercury program, pele, aloha, and born with a tail are sometimes considered modern jazz. there is no sax and I think thats what you play right? so yea. its weird. people consider it artsy jazz or something.

mercury program is beastly skilled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6zIwuM1IlA

DanteFox

Smash Champion
the mercury program, pele, aloha, and born with a tail are sometimes considered modern jazz. there is no sax and I think thats what you play right? so yea. its weird. people consider it artsy jazz or something.

mercury program is beastly skilled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6zIwuM1IlA
Sorry dude, but while that was good music, I would not consider it jazz. It hardly has any of the defining characteristics of jazz such as improvisation. I would consider it to be Rock more that anything. Of course there is no agreed upon definition of Jazz so I guess there is a bit of a debate to be had about this, but I'd prefer to not get into that debate. ;)

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I listen to a lot of late Romantic and early 20th century stuff, although I'm also a big fan of more recent composers like Ligeti and Lutoslawski. The only modern composer I know anything about is Thomas Adès.

SuperRad

Smash Master
Alright, one more from me:

One of my favorite bands at the moment is Blackbird Raum. Punk energy with instrumentation that draws influence from a variety of folk styles. They have an incredibly unique sound, due to using 'nonstandard' instruments [Washtub Bass, Washboard, Saw, Mandolin, Banjo and Accordian]
EDIT:
Uploading a song because the video I had was bad quality.
EDITx2:
Blackbird Raum - Witches

joeplicate

Smash Master
Grizzly Bear is pretty legit

I like autechre and boards of canada a lot, too
luke vibert, helping hand, by "man," and can't forget mf doom

It hardly has any of the defining characteristics of jazz such as improvisation.

your right thats why it really isnt.

but its a lot of jazz chords, and late and early stresses on the beat and all that stuff. except its not jazz really. mercury program and pele are still labeled jazz often though.

Celph

Smash Journeyman
tanya morgan - the bridge featuring elucid

this beat is so dope, and they flow over it justly

HugS™

Smash Lord
Tool
Mars Volta
Radiohead
At the drive in
A perfect Circle
Bjork
Thrice
RJD2
Thom Yorke
Muse
Alice in Chains
Nirvana

And many songs from various artists, but I can't say I like the artists themselves. I don't really care about genres, I just like quality ****. Some genres just happen to have more of it IMO.

If someone ever asks me what kind of music I listen to, I always respond by saying "Good music".

Anyone who answers that same question by responding with "I listen to everything" is usually a waste of human life. True story.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I know about John Adams, although I'm not familiar with much of his work aside from the Chairman Dances and Dr. Atomic. The only minimalist composer I'm really familiar with is Steve Reich; I should expand my horizons a bit!

Beefheart is too good. He's one of the four or so rock artists I still listen to fairly regularly, the other three being Can, the Velvet Underground, and the Beatles.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I know about John Adams, although I'm not familiar with much of his work aside from the Chairman Dances and Dr. Atomic. The only minimalist composer I'm really familiar with is Steve Reich; I should expand my horizons a bit!

Beefheart is too good. He's one of the four or so rock artists I still listen to fairly regularly, the other three being Can, the Velvet Underground, and the Beatles.
It's funny, I was listening to Trout Mask Replica last week and I thought to myself "I'll bet Fly Amanita likes Captain Beefheart," even though I've talked to you like twice.

Harmonielehre and Grand Pianola Music are probably my favorite John Adams compositions if you're interested. I actually learned about him because of the Civilization IV soundtrack, which has a ton of great classical, and it inspired me to learn more about recent composers. JS Bach will forever be my #1 though.

Speaking of Civ 4, this is also a great song, I love the ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmut6FBx4xk

sidefx

Smash Champion
C-Systems - Close My Eyes (Lemon & Einar K Remix)
Mr Sam feat. Claud9 - Cygnes
Armin van Buuren feat. Sharon den Adel vs. Jochen Miller - In & Out Of Connection (Armin van Buuren Remix)
Kerli - Walking On Air (Armin van Buuren Dub)
Heatbeat - Paradise Garage (Piano Mix)
Blendbrank - Synthetic Symphony (Mohawk Remx)

and theres a **** load more but thats enough of that genre

Daft Punk
Glasvegas
Muse
Incubus
MGMT
Modest Mouse
Lupe Fiasco
Talib Kweli
Pendulum
John Legend
Ratatat
Silversun Pickups
Shiny Toy Guns
The Sounds
The White Stripes

and a bunch more im too lazy to go look at my play list

edit: wtf @ beefheart ... i refuse to believe you guys actually listen to that and enjoy it

supermario27mx

Smash Ace
I always have Itunes on.

Last 10 songs I heard
Bad Religion - Big Bang
Beatles - Happiness is a warm gun
Re-write (FMA intro 4)
Insite - Piensa en Que...
Armin Van Buuren - Sahara
Los KFM - Broken Pieces
Fobia - Muy maniaco de mi parte
Ides of March - Vehicle