• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Need for a backroom + other stuff

sMoke4jointz

Smash Rookie
why are u going to ban a stage because of a single character's disadvantage? that sounds pretty dum to me

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Saffron City is fun as hell.
Agreed.

Also, unless the Ness likes to short hop and linger over holes, it's not that big an issue as to ban it for him. He can make use of the walls pretty well. His own powerful spike is also more useful than it normally is.

I don't like how the black captian falcon blends in with the background of congo jungle
Dark Samus on Kongo Jungle. Online. With a poor graphics plugin.

Invisible charge shots and super gay camouflage.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
For the Saffron Ness problem... why not pick another character? If someone plays only Ness, then it's their fault. Ness being bad on that stage shouldn't be a reason to ban it. Look at melee/brawl Rainbow Cruise. Some characters are god awful on that stage. It's still a legitimate counterpick stage.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I think that DSR definitely has to be in effect but only for counterpick stages. If you have a best of 5 set it'd be extremely stupid for someone to counterpick to Peach's Castle twice. Just imagine getting counterpicked to Mute City by Peach twice in the same set...

Sensei

Smash Lord
Rules are meant to be broken

I introduced the idea of stage striking a while ago (my last tournament). However, I included all 5 stages for stage striking (minus zebes). I used to have DSR in effect at my earlier tournaments, but then I think it was Isai who convinced me not to have that rule because there weren't enough stages for that. For reference, here is the rule-set I used at my last tournament "Smashageddon."

SSB64 Rules

•Double Elimination
•All matches are best of 3, with finals best of 5.
•5 stock, 10 min Time limit
•Team Attack On
•No excessively STALLING a match! If caught doing so, you will be asked to stopped with a warning. If you continue to do so, you will forfeit the match.
•Ties broken by lives/percentage
•Items OFF

•Stages/Characters:
••Stages available: Peach's Castle, Hyrule Temple, Saffron City, Dreamland and Congo Jungle.
••Stage Strike Rule - Each player or team can choose one (1) stage to remove from random select AFTER all players have selected their characters and have entered the stage select screen. This only applies for the first match. All available stages are allowed for counterpick afterwords.
••All other stages banned
••First round stage is random unless players can agree upon a stage
•Advanced Slob Picks - Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go to random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
•Double Blind may be called in the first match
I've thought about using Planet Zebes in the past as a CP, but I decided that the lava was a little too random of hazard, but as I now think about it more, it is not that different as the tornado in hyrule (only more frequent and covering a larger area). Zebes is definitely debatable and is ultimately the choice of the Tournament Organizer.

Saffron should be CP. It is very easy to avoid the pits with Ness. Plus if the ness player really wanted to, he could stage strike it, but it could still be used as a CP later on.

MK, Yoshi's, Sector Z are auto banned.

Nintendude had an interesting idea of stage striking only the three "neutral" stages (Hyrule, DL, Congo). In my opinion, it does not really matter whether you stage strike all the stages or just those three "neutral" because in the end, you are still left with one stage that the players should be more satisfied with since each of them stage striked at least two stages. If you include zebes, then one player will have striked three stages (you can counter this by allowing the first player to strike one stage, the second player stage strikes two stages, then they continue stage striking as normal with one stage at a time until one stage is left.

In regards to DSR, as great and wise as the words of Isai are, DSR is ultimately up to the Tournament Organizer because technically there enough stages, even in a 5 game set because there at least 5 viable stages, 6 if you include zebes, and DSR does not carry over into the second set if there is one.

I think that DSR definitely has to be in effect but only for counterpick stages. If you have a best of 5 set it'd be extremely stupid for someone to counterpick to Peach's Castle twice. Just imagine getting counterpicked to Mute City by Peach twice in the same set...
As much as I would love to agree with you, I would like to be as unbiased as possible and allow the players to have the right to CP a stage, no matter how "dumb" it is :laugh:. But if is your tournament, you can do whatever you want :psycho:

If anybody is curious I found the original thread on DSR posted by the rule maker himself.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=45193

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm not saying it's dumb cause it's a weird stage. I'm saying it's dumb cause some characters have ridiculously awful matchups there and it's unfair for them to be subjected to it twice in 1 set. It'd be stupid to allow Ness to be cp'd to Saffron twice in 1 set as well. If you have a best of 5 set without DSR then in some cases a player will only have to win once between the initial neutral and his opponent's cp and then win twice on the same counterpick stage. Again, think about how stupid it'd be if a Peach were allowed to go to Mute City twice in the same set.

rpotts

Smash Lord
I'm not saying it's dumb cause it's a weird stage. I'm saying it's dumb cause some characters have ridiculously awful matchups there and it's unfair for them to be subjected to it twice in 1 set. It'd be stupid to allow Ness to be cp'd to Saffron twice in 1 set as well. If you have a best of 5 set without DSR then in some cases a player will only have to win once between the initial neutral and his opponent's cp and then win twice on the same counterpick stage. Again, think about how stupid it'd be if a Peach were allowed to go to Mute City twice in the same set.
If they won on it once they can clearly overcome the disadvantage/adjust their play. It would be a lot harder in teams to avoid the pits than in 1v1, though.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Just because we have 6 neutral stages available in a best of 5 does not mean we must force people to go on 5 of those 6 stages. I disagree with including DSR, simply on the basis that it ends up forcing both players to go on a stage they both don't want due to many other stage options being removed, and leaving only few options available late in the set.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Just because we have 6 neutral stages available in a best of 5 does not mean we must force people to go on 5 of those 6 stages. I disagree with including DSR, simply on the basis that it ends up forcing both players to go on a stage they both don't want due to many other stage options being removed, and leaving only few options available late in the set.
I thought DSR was only for the last stage you won on, so you could always pick from atleast 5 stages

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Stage striking is best, whether it's with 5 or 3 stages doesn't matter much, 5 is a bit fairer yet also makes it possible that the first stage is a 'weird' stage.

I prefer Zebes over Saffron because of camping possibilities, but I don't play those stages enough to have a good opinion.

Mushinronsha

Smash Cadet
I really feel that the lava on Zebes can't be compared to the tornado in Hyrule. The lava essentially reduces the entire level to a small, small, small platform and can incapacitate whomever touches the lava first. It boils down to the players trying to survive the lava instead of outsmarting their opponents. The tornado can kill, yes, but it certainly doesn't affect the entire stage, and players can work avoiding (or using!) it into their strategies.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
If it only applies to counterpicks then they certainly do not have to play on 5 different stages. Dreamland and Hyrule are decent counterpicks for many matchups anyway.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Stage thoughts:

Dreamland definitely isn't neutral. It's retardedly broken for Falcon, Pikachu, and possibly some others. All of the small stage are pretty badly skewed in this way, though Kongo is probably the least skewed of the bunch.

Kongo's a weird-*** stage though. The barrel saves people who should have died, and the angled slopes on the main platform screw me up to no end. It's probably more neutral than Dreamland, though I think that Falcon can be just as broken on both stages.

Larger stages are better for balance, but they have problems too. Hyrule's basically the best we've got, and even it has issues (gee Fox, I'm sure impressed that you can run away from me and shdl for ten minutes without getting bored).

Of the remaining large stages, Zebes is the best and really should be played more. Sure, the acid is annoying, but at least it can be seen coming and it forces the players to interact in close quarters. For me, at least, the acid is not nearly as rage-inducing as being thrown into an off-screen tornado that neither player knew was there. Even considering the acid, Zebes is a lot better than the never-ending camper's wet dream known as Saffron.

Speaking of Saffron, I don't get why Ness players whine about it so much. Against a competent opponent, most of the characters in the game are dead if they get stuck in a pit, third jump or not. And if you end up in the pit it's your fault anyway. Also, the pokemon are usually a non-issue.

Rules thoughts:

As my thoughts on the individuals stages suggest, stage selection in this game in general is a problem when the goal is to create fair matchups. Additionally, any stage that is not Hyrule or Dreamland is highly likely to be weird to at least one player.

Honestly, I think that Hyrule should be the default neutral stage, used for the first game in every match unless both players agree otherwise. It's the most balanced stage, as demonstrated by the fact that all of the good players I know spend most of their time there when playing friendlies. Stage striking will just result in things like every Pika vs Fox match starting on a weird stage that is less balanced for the match than Hyrule would have been.

I'd add DSR on top of that to make sure that shdl camping Foxes and air camping Kirbys/Jigglypuffs have to beat their opponent on at least one non-Hyrule stage in order to take the match.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Saffron sucks. Stupid and very campy stage.

The only 4 tourney playable stages are Hyrule, Dreamland, Kongo Jungle, and Peach's Castle. Hyrule, Dreamland, and Kongo should be neutrals.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Saffron is significantly more campy than, say, Hyrule. Only truly non-campy stages are the three small ones.

malva00

Smash Master
this board should be called Super Smash Brothers Discussion

joined in 2002 and I have 2002 posts pretty cool

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I think you guys should have your own boards. You guys aren't lesser than Melee and definitely not lesser than brawl so why are you guys being treated that way?

It would be cool to have Isai as a mod lol.

HoN3Y64

Smash Apprentice
I think it'd look better if it was:

Smash World Network
Brawl
Melee
Tournies
Everything else

Top Bottom