• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Never Ending List of Toon's AT's and Tricks / The Data Dump / Song of Brainstorms

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
1. You didn't quite do it. SMSing a BCAT happens when you're just mashing left and right. The arrow cancel I'm talking about is SH, Bair, FF, REVERSE QD, then BCATing that reverse QD. You shouldn't have any weird momentum shifts, it should be stationary. What it'll look like is Toon Link bairing and fastfalling an arrow in the same direction...without ever turning around.
Yes I did do it, what you described is exactly what I was talking about. The Quickdraw, no momentum shift, Toon stays facing the same way, arrow goes backwards. That's what I've been saying the whole time. The only reason I said SMS BCAT was because the way to perform it is pretty much a sms quickdraw, only you quickdraw really close to the ground resulting in the BCAT.

2. It doesn't need a name. It's not a new tech. It's simply doing the BBQ...except BCATing it. That's like saying if you do a fsmash with bomb AND a pivot slide it's a new tech that we'd call...I dunno, the electric slide....oh wait. >_>
Fine, if you don't want it, I'll take it out. Good thing I didn't write it up yet.

3. Lolbcat. Completely useless. Yeah, I can BCAT, it's just completely unnecessary. Contrary to popular belief, arrow cancels have lag. So BCAT to bair combos isn't happening. And even if that did work, BCATing is easily replaced with a simple rar. You gotta realize that if you can do a simple rar, then you can double arrow and bair immediately. Or zair to bair.
Fair enough. But I still need to list everything that Toon can do. And if that means listing an arrow cancel that shoots the arrow backwards, then so be it.

4. Pretty sure everyone already knew how to bcat.
Everyone sort of knew, I've just made it a bit easier to understand for learners.
Message in quote.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Toon can DACUS, sort of, but it doesn't give him a good enough slide, so Toon's usually just JC it, if they do anything at all.
As for actually seeing Toon in the Dash Attack animation, I don't remember ever seeing him do that. Usually, the Dash Attack is cancelled far too quickly, so that is a bit strange. So are you suggesting that we might be able to fo a DACUS kind of like Falco where both the Dash Attack and the U-smash connect? Cause that would be pretty cool, especially if it isn't too hard to perform. I'll see if I can re-create what you're talking about next time I get around to it. Any hints on the stage you were on or any other possible variables would be appreciated. Thanks for sharing!

Radori Nighthawk

Smash Apprentice
LOL @ what I started.

To EVERYONE who said they can do it, VIDEOS NAO. >_>

Also, I can BCAT consistently. One of the MAIN reason I BCAT is so that I can follow up into a RQS/BBQ.

Seriously, videos. though.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Because it was staying in the air?
Didn't that happen because the platform was doing down? @_@

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I don't know either.
I'm guessing that's why. >_>

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh right. So putting two and two together, Toon grabbed while standing on a platform that was going down, and the chain went up or stayed out in front. In that case, yeah it's known.
Thanks Sasuke!

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ok so I'm not sure how it happened, but I actually temporarily lost part of my thread. I was looking through the vids section and I noticed about half way through, it cut out. So at that point, I had lost half of the vids section, the whole combos section and the little bit at the end.
Lucky for me, I actually keep a copy on a word document. So it's all back to normal now. Almost. You see, my copy was a little bit outdated. So I'll put it this way, anything that was added to the bottom half of the vids section, is gone. Now I know for a fact that the combos section hasn't been updated since then, but it is possible that one or two vids are now missing. So pretty much, if you could just check to see that everythings cool, then that would be great. Also, I'll need to re-colour a few things, But that's ok. Apart from that, it's fine. Crisis averted.
So now I'm gonna re-colour that bit at the end and then update my copy of this thread. Thanks for your co-opperation.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Thanks for the link Sasuke. I think I've actually tried that before and from memory, it didn't work. I'll try it again though just to make sure. Do you know if they're doing anything other then running towards to ledge and hitting B at the right time? Like, are inputing anything else to get a larger slide?
I'll try a few things..................

Ok, so it doesn't work. Toon simply doesn't slide off. I could do it easilly with Shiek because her neutral B slid off every time. But Toon, it didn't slide off at all. I even tried to do a badly timed Boomerang glide hoping that it might cancel the lag and grab the ledge, but even though I made him slide off right next to the ledge, he didn't grab it. So yeah, unfortunatelly, Toon can't do this. Thanks anyway man.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but you can cancel a shield with throwing an item (a bomb for TL).
if you do it after a shield dash, you get a slide slightly less than that of a jump canceled throw.
you can throw the item in any direction using the c-stick, but you still only slide the direction you were dashing.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Well, I'll put it this way. Yes, it's known that you can throw items out of your shield (If you couldn't then we would be able to grab with a Bomb. See how I put that in there). No, it's not on the list. In fact, just while I'm on the subject, shield dashing isn't on the list either. So technically, I could add that you can throw the Bomb out of a shield dash to the list, but I know that doing so would result in many upset people. Contrary to popular belief, this isn't just my thread XD. It belongs to the Toon comunity, and as such, I have to try and make it suit everyone. It all boils down to the fact that many people take the definition of an AT or Trick very seriously and as it is, I've pushed that definition pretty far for the sake of documenting everything. That said, if more people agree, then I will add it.

So thanks for letting me know.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, that's fine.
i don't really care if it goes up or not, just wanting to spread the knowledge.
it's pretty useful imo, especially when thrown backwards.

oh and i figured that it was already common knowledge that you could throw stuff out of your shield. :p
i was just using that as a lead in to the shield dashed throw.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Do you mean that thing where you Dash Attack someones shield near the edge? If so, I haven't experimented with it yet. I would presume that it would set up an unescapable Dair Spike, but that's just me guessing. Maybe I will look into it when I get the chance.
Thanks for bringing it up, I'd forgotten about that.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Lol, Lee Martin found out about that tech back in like February lolol. yeah, we can dair and footstool dair from it.

ZitchX

Smash Cadet
I doubt this is an AT or anything but I do it alot and it catches everyone off gaurd.

SH Fair/Nair -> Instant Uair -> (insert move)
Seems like the Uair makes everything lagless... and moves instantaneously come out.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I doubt this is an AT or anything but I do it alot and it catches everyone off gaurd.

SH Fair/Nair -> Instant Uair -> (insert move)
Seems like the Uair makes everything lagless... and moves instantaneously come out.
That reminds me of the time I Auto Canceled a U-Air. I have no idea how I did it, but it was lagless upon landing.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
@ZitchX: Yeah I've mentioned this before, but no one really took much notice.
I've gotta mention it. I kinda found something the other day that is relatively useless, that's why I didn't want to post it, so go easy XD. But anyway, it's like this, every aerial that Toon has except for one will recieve a bit of lag if used just above the ground as you're coming down at the exact time you would quickdraw/Bomb Drop. The one aerial that recieves no lag what so ever, is Uair. So why is this in any way useful? Now don't laugh. Ok when you use Uair in this way, as you're coming down, at the right time, not only do you recieve no lag, but a light will flash just above Toon's head. Distraction? I've been trying to think of a better way to use it, and all I could find was, you can pick up things like Z-dropped Bombs and Diddy's bananas with absolutely no lag. Diddy actually uses his Dair in the same way to pick up his nana's with no lag.
Anyway, I thought I'd mention it hoping that someone would find a better use for it.
Any ideas?
As you can see, I was focusing on lagless distractions and item pick ups. I didn't bother mentioning that it could be used in the way you described (SH Nair/Fair to Instant U-air) because I figured those things were lagless anyway. But now I'm actually interested to see if using U-air in this way truely is lagless. I mean, if it did make any difference, it would be a few frames or something, but still. Could someone with the ability to test things frame by frame, see if using U-air just before you touch the ground will allow Toon to use moves slightly faster then usual?

Basically, if you have space to fit in a quickdraw before you land, you can Uair instead and get a free lagless ending.

Can we call this the Uair Cancel, or UAC?

Btw, this could also laglessly pick up items if we're about to land. Using shield to pick up the item has the same effect, and is easier too, since it's less work on your right thumb. Still, it's possible.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ok. Upon request of TWiNK, I have put together the basics of a Brainstorming section which can be found in my second post (I finally have a use for it!!!!). So check it out and tell me what you think. Keep in mind, it is the basics, so there isn't much there at the moment to talk about. This is where you come in. I cannot stress enough how important your involvement is to the usefulness and survival of the brainstorming section. Without feedback, discussion and ideas, the brainstorming section will die fast. So it's really up to you. Do you want it or not? If you do want it, well you know, you discuss and test, I'll keep things up to date, help discuss and help test.

Let's just see how this goes.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Guys, I don't know if I was just seeing things, but I daired into the grounded and somehow I had a bomb randomly in my hand. I didn't have it before I daired.

Dair-to-auto bomb pull? WHAT.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
you caught a bomb and then dair'ed, or caught it with the dair most likely, and for some reason just didn't see it. I'm pretty sure what you've said is impossible. Though if we could it'd be pretty neat

Guys, I don't know if I was just seeing things, but I daired into the grounded and somehow I had a bomb randomly in my hand. I didn't have it before I daired.

Dair-to-auto bomb pull? WHAT.
Video?

Is it possible that you used Dair to catch the bomb?

I just tried to recreate the Brokeshot.

What a horrible time that was.

Here's what happened in the video.

It's on Smashville, on a saturday night between 8pm and 12am.
Toon Link has 8%
Snake has 31%
Snake does 2 jabs of his f-tilt.
Toon Link now has 23%
Toon Link gets sent back.
Just before Toon lands, he quickdraws.
Right after he quickdraws, he grabs (Brokeshot)

Important: When you go for the grab, you must make sure you don't buffer it into a shield.

I pretty much replicated everything here except for the whole Saturday night thing, since it's Friday afternoon. I had no success.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I just said that I didn't have a bomb in my hand before. I jumped, daired, pressed something, and there was a bomb in my hand after. Maybe I was just high. lolol forget it, yall can try to do it though.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Why would we want to replicate the brokeshot?? :S Oh and wut? At kaffei.
It's more that we want to know how it happened so it never happens again and just for the heck of knowing XD.

Oh and Kaffei, I think you'll find you caught a Bomb with Dair without noticing. Never the less, I'll give it a quick test later on just to be sure.

Top Bottom