• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new and improved NORTH CAROLINA locator thread

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Just a quick count, raise your hand if you're coming, or a least attempting to come to my Smashfest? I'm making a list so my parents know how many people to expect. (Yes, I'm still in High School...) I'll add y'all as you tell me

So far I have: Total: 17-19 people. \(o0)/
Me
BEHR
BEHR's friend
onlymaskde (?)
d_shep (?)
Jason!!!!(M3D) (?)
Director
Karn
Knorr
Karn's friend(s)
Malk
l0zR (?)
and 5 friends of mine.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Haha. Thanks for the warm welcome. Ya, I kinda come and go like the seasons. Or... well, I can't think of something really cool and dramatic, but if you do- then please replace that. Oh, I know. "Comes and goes like the Highlander...or, something" Actually, I have no idea if the Highlander comes and goes @ all. Meh.

I've been TOO BUSY WITH REAL LIFE, COOL PEOPLE STUFF! HAHAHA!! YOUZ ALLZ HAZ NO LIFEZ AND NO GIRLZFWENDZ BCUZ ALZ U DO IS GOOOO TO TOURNEYS AND PLAAAY SMASH! TIRES DON EXITS!!

Jk guys. ^^ I just kinda put Smash down for awhile.

All that being said:

Ali- good to know. Whenever I manage to make it out somewhere, I'll play. Not Melee though. I still suck at that game. I'm fairly decent at Brawl, in my estimation.

LozR- see above. If I get out and about over the summer, I'd be glad to get waxed by ya.

Neo- Schweet seeing you're still around. Go to college anywhere? Still playin' some tennis? Ha, I aint touched a racquet in like 8 months.

Now- for my input on this Brawl/Melee thing:

Melee is a better game. But, I like playing Brawl more. I think mostly bc I was a scrubbing bubble scrub at Melee, and I think I'm decent at Brawl. HA! C what I did thar? I already took out that 'Brawl doesn't take skill' rebuttle... by admitting I like it bc I sucked @ Melee. Reverse psychology, FTW! HAW HAW. I WIN THE ONLINEZ!!! jk

Anyway... I def hope to see everyone soon at a tournament, but- don't bet the house on it. Haha. I gotta keep up my 'come and go' image, amirite?

Malk

Smash Champion
I know dull razer too!
Haha, actually I dunno you, I just remember your tag
do you play at that one 24-hour game shop in Wilmington?

Malk

Smash Champion
For the record I'm just going to say I think brawl takes more talent (not tech skill)
You have to be constantly thinking unlike melee, you really have to absolutely outplay someone
It's just boring as hell to play

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
Just a quick count, raise your hand if you're coming, or a least attempting to come to my Smashfest? I'm making a list so my parents know how many people to expect. (Yes, I'm still in High School...)

So far I have:
Me
BEHR
BEHR's friend
Rawfuls (?)
Jason!!!!(M3D) (?)
Director
Karn
Knorr
Karn's friend(s)
Malk
l0zR (?)
and 5 friends of mine.
If i dont go 2 the beach 2day... and i can get up with behr and vilt... and if they can give me a ride.. im down... i just need 2 get some money.... b/c a niggfah is BROKE... and i got 2 provide gas...so i might as well eat before i leave here..(if i leave here) so hopefully i can make it... and then 2moro... i'll guess i'll try 2 head 2 rocky mount (without the help of mapquest) and come 2 lozrs tourney (mad skillz)

Dr. Neo... I personally dont know you... but your awesome guys... mad love... (no homo) (unless you intend for it 2 be homo... then it's homo intended(no homo)) lol

DARN IT... Behr... if u read this before you leave... HIT ME UP *****H... i think u got my number...

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I know dull razer too!
Haha, actually I dunno you, I just remember your tag
do you play at that one 24-hour game shop in Wilmington?
Haha. I know Malk, too!
Haha, I actually dunno you, I just remember your tag.
I had no idea that Wilmington had a 24-hour game shop. Where the fux is it? I needz to find it so I can play there some next semester. [-is heading home for the summer-]

Also, I concur with Malk's assessment of talent v techskill btwn the two games. Meh, I guess I just like 'slow/outhinking' things better. I guess that's why I played tennis, and enjoy chess.

But srsly, I reiterate--what's the name of that game-shop?

ThePerfect x1x

Smash Rookie
Ya, the game shop was Time to Game....funny thing is, it kinda came up and died in that 1 year period the last time I saw you RaZer. Use to go there every once in a while but meh....the store owner was some 20 something year old trust fund kid.

Basically he didn't know much about how to run a business and wouldn't take other peoples opinions...so he just ran it into the ground in a years time wasting some odds amount of money. His loss......

Bah...wish I could hit up some melee this weekend with you guys up in Raleigh but I guess I'll eventually see you all again sometime. lol

May be able to set something for today / tomorrow Razer if you want. Gotta see what some of my peeps are up too....I guess we can play that random smash game "brawl"......lol. Just have to stick with the slower knee and not so good ken combo.

edit:
Or I could just play Ike and forward smash / forward air ANYTHING that moves. lol
Oh ya, hows life Malk ?.....been kept entertained ? lol Its Kevin btw...random scrub red marth from the lower region of NC.

dr.neo

Smash Champion
Yea dude I coach tennis for the highschool I played at last year. I'm transferring to App next year and I'ma try to walk on. Dude hit me up sometime, and we'll chill play tennis smash..... GRRR brawl GRRR. Whatever. holla!

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
i agree with malk about skill, brawl actually has yomi and seeable options both (instead of just the former, occasionally), more than one layer of yomi, and you have more than 2 overtly superior options for offense.

in high level play execution (aka "Tech-skill") isent a factor, mistakes in anyform (execution being one of many) get you punished. a good player shouldent mess up excution, but if the game boils down "do this action over and over , the loser messes up first" , we might as well all be sitting in practice mode seeing who has better execution. which is very boring to me.

safe series of moves into a simple 2 option mix up over and over is very.. "DOA"

sleep time is now..

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
For the record I'm just going to say I think brawl takes more talent (not tech skill)
You have to be constantly thinking unlike melee, you really have to absolutely outplay someone
It's just boring as hell to play
<3

I completely agree with this, that's basically my stand on it. I'm glad someone else agrees.

DD: Also <3. I pretty much agree 100%.

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
Dark Hart - I'm pretty sure I'm coming. It's still partly up in the air right now, but you should write my name down just in case. I'd be coming with BEHR and whoever else is riding in that same car.

Rawfuls

Smash Journeyman
o.O?? apparently i missed a lot of drama.... sounds like it was fun though. Anyways brawl = fail as a competative game due to the complete lack of tech skill needed. If you can space correctly and if you have movesets memorized and u have better than god awful mind games you can win at brawl vs. anyone. Where as in melee you needed all of those plus a fair amount of techskill, and all techskill really did was seperate competative players from casual gamers but that seperation is needed to make a game truly worthy of a competative scene and it does not exist in brawl. Also, techskill in melee didnt = wins just look at silent wolf. I mean no offense to the guy he'd jv 5 stock me in a 4 stock match but he cant seem to win a big tourny. Spacing and mindgames won tournies in melee just like they do in brawl.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Shoot I cant make it to Rocky Mount.

Unless I get a ride. o;

D shep if your reading this I need your number *****h.

Rawfuls

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick count, raise your hand if you're coming, or a least attempting to come to my Smashfest? I'm making a list so my parents know how many people to expect. (Yes, I'm still in High School...) I'll add y'all as you tell me

So far I have:
Me
BEHR
BEHR's friend
Rawfuls (?)
d_shep (?)
Jason!!!!(M3D) (?)
Director
Karn
Knorr
Karn's friend(s)
Malk
l0zR (?)
and 5 friends of mine.
i wont make it to your smashfest i have to work sorry

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
o.O?? apparently i missed a lot of drama.... sounds like it was fun though. Anyways brawl = fail as a competative game due to the complete lack of tech skill needed. If you can space correctly and if you have movesets memorized and u have better than god awful mind games you can win at brawl vs. anyone. Where as in melee you needed all of those plus a fair amount of techskill, and all techskill really did was seperate competative players from casual gamers but that seperation is needed to make a game truly worthy of a competative scene and it does not exist in brawl. Also, techskill in melee didnt = wins just look at silent wolf. I mean no offense to the guy he'd jv 5 stock me in a 4 stock match but he cant seem to win a big tourny. Spacing and mindgames won tournies in melee just like they do in brawl.

that would make sense if brawl was single player, and spacing/yomi werent contested actions.

and.. as i just said, execution dosent matter at high level. jack 5 wins tournies in DR, requires little to no execution. hes nothing but mix ups and oki. yet you can win with him, why? because of proper use of other gameplay elements, which are much more important. at high level you should assume everyone SHOULD be able to do everything, so why does it matter?

if all it takes is "spacing and mind games" to win at brawl, you should destroy worse players just as easily right? are you saying worse players have equal/superior spacing and yomi so its harder to beat them because of "no techs"? thats a pardox, and an excuse.

"it dosent matter how many "skill moves" you use, if you get beat by one simple strategy, its still your loss, and you should get better"

if you make no mistakes, you dont lose. weather or not you think thats boring is opinion, which every one is entitled to, but dont act like its a "worse" game just because its "easier to play." the better player should win reguardless.

Malk

Smash Champion
Anyway, don't get me wrong double dragon and samurai
I think Melee is an incredible game and I would play it any ****ing day over brawl

now, time for flaming

DD have you ever actually watched a game of high level melee?
If any ****ing player in the world did the same thing over and over against a high level opponent they would get WRECKED. There is absolutely NO move in the game that is completely safe if your opponent knows you are about to do it.

in conclusion STFU
No one in this thread actually values your opinion
I don't mind that you think brawl is a better game, but a random scrub trying to convince players who could beat him at both games is just laughable.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Anyway, don't get me wrong double dragon and samurai
I think Melee is an incredible game and I would play it any ****ing day over brawl

now, time for flaming

DD have you ever actually watched a game of high level melee?
If any ****ing player in the world did the same thing over and over against a high level opponent they would get WRECKED. There is absolutely NO move in the game that is completely safe if your opponent knows you are about to do it.

in conclusion STFU
No one in this thread actually values your opinion
I don't mind that you think brawl is a better game, but a random scrub trying to convince players who could beat him at both games is just laughable.
Malk, for someone that gets on other people for talking **** about people they've never played before, you sure do it a lot.

Also, he's probably the only person in here I've seen make valid, well thought out arguments supported by reason other than "lol brawl takes no tech skill".

As far as his argument on doing the same thing over and over again, no opponent can predict and know for certain what you will do every time, but jumping in with a safe aerial and L canceling it repeatedly and then wave dashing away was like, the most brain dead **** ever. A game becomes shallow when one or two options are completely better than anything else and that's all you have to do.

Basically what he's saying is that if you take away all the tech **** from melee, a lot of players have nothing. Very little fundamental skills, just lots of esoteric knowledge about that one game. That does not equal skill, or "talent" as you put it yourself. Why should the tech skill even matter? It just gets in the way of people getting better where it actually matters and makes the game less accessible.

If people complain about losing to Brawl scrubs when they were wrecking in melee, maybe they should rethink themselves as a player. If you're a good player who actually thinks about the match, you should be able to handle a lesser player. If you do consistently lose to scrubs, you probably were never the amazing player that you thought you were. (not refering to anyone specifically, btw)

Malk

Smash Champion
Most of the **** you say is really obvious, and I agree with a bit of it. Brawl has its place.

The thing that pisses me off is the way you treat melee - in your attempt to convince us that brawl has more potential as a game you downgrade its predecessor relentlessly, when it is truly an amazing game.

Let me reiterate the common melee argument for you to angrily jack off about. The basic thing is, you say that melee had no mindgames, only simple repetition of tech skill (which is funny, that's exactly what melee players think Brawl is, only minus the tech skill... maybe each one should take the time to learn the other game, just a thought), yet you say, in the same paragraph, that no one can read his opponent perfectly. If that was honestly the only, or even 'best' approach, then every single person could read their opponent. If that technical maneuver was not a punishable action, that's the only action anyone would take.

AND IT WASN'T ****ING LIKE THAT
Au contraire, L0zr or Ali or Pac could 4 stock you using only Falcon's stomp, or his knee, or his backair, or his upair. Probably with only his 'gentleman' combo. Since everyone (past a certain level) could do the tech skill flawlessly, the movement and placing and mindgames were THE EXACT SAME as they are in Brawl (why Karn and Bill and All of us dominated you that first smashfest at Karn's place... we used the EXACT SAME movement and placing and mindgames that were in melee - just an aside) they are just a lot faster. You have to think quicker. Your DI needs to be perfect and you need to come up with it quickly to throw your opponent off. Combos last longer but almost all of them are breakable with the right unpredictable DI or tech.

Chew on this (that you seem to have ignored) - all of the best NC melee players are uncontested Brawl players now (if they played Brawl at all, to learn the movesets and such). I agree, if any of them can't make the switch, they are probably rather bad, but... WE DID MAKE THE SWITCH gjgj us

good job Malk nice1

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
im not trying to convince anyone, i could care less what people play. im stating my opinion, which is not meant to convince you of anything, its expression. and plus, this is the internet.

your talking about saying negative things about a game when your insulting someone elses ability simply because you dont know who i am and assumed i was trying to "imbue" my opinion on you? "4 stock you using only one move" "uncontested" etc. dont insult someone over a game, someone disagreeing with you is not an ego threat.

"if that technical maneuver was not a punishable action, that's the only action anyone would take."

which is pretty much the gist of it, easily spaced (or even just quick) arials, waveshining etc. its illogical to do any unsafe options, to do an unsafe option IS a mistake unless the reward you would get is worth it.. thats called blatant risk vs reward. there are lots of 0 risk options, because while spacing is contested, the moves that are "hard to space" simply arent used, their unsafeness not warranting it. which is why other games boil down to poking and oki, or proper projectile use etc. etc. when you have such a limited amount of safe options, you have 0 risk running aside from human error. thusly: execution, like i said.

but whatever, i got stuff to do.

edit: i agree with pepper, as i have no time to waste with illwill to anyone, let alone over a forum, opinions are just opinions.

Malk

Smash Champion
</3 everyone else!
a little <3 for PP I guess
Pepper gets like 3 but that's definitely all

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Most of the **** you say is really obvious, and I agree with a bit of it. Brawl has its place.

The thing that pisses me off is the way you treat melee - in your attempt to convince us that brawl has more potential as a game you downgrade its predecessor relentlessly, when it is truly an amazing game.

Let me reiterate the common melee argument for you to angrily jack off about. The basic thing is, you say that melee had no mindgames, only simple repetition of tech skill (which is funny, that's exactly what melee players think Brawl is, only minus the tech skill... maybe each one should take the time to learn the other game, just a thought), yet you say, in the same paragraph, that no one can read his opponent perfectly. If that was honestly the only, or even 'best' approach, then every single person could read their opponent. If that technical maneuver was not a punishable action, that's the only action anyone would take.

AND IT WASN'T ****ING LIKE THAT
Au contraire, L0zr or Ali or Pac could 4 stock you using only Falcon's stomp, or his knee, or his backair, or his upair. Probably with only his 'gentleman' combo. Since everyone (past a certain level) could do the tech skill flawlessly, the movement and placing and mindgames were THE EXACT SAME as they are in Brawl (why Karn and Bill and All of us dominated you that first smashfest at Karn's place... we used the EXACT SAME movement and placing and mindgames that were in melee - just an aside) they are just a lot faster. You have to think quicker. Your DI needs to be perfect and you need to come up with it quickly to throw your opponent off. Combos last longer but almost all of them are breakable with the right unpredictable DI or tech.

Chew on this (that you seem to have ignored) - all of the best NC melee players are uncontested Brawl players now (if they played Brawl at all, to learn the movesets and such). I agree, if any of them can't make the switch, they are probably rather bad, but... WE DID MAKE THE SWITCH gjgj us

good job Malk nice1
Wait when you guys dominated me at the first smashfest? I remember winning a lot of my matches....on top of the fact IT WAS MY FIRST TIME PLAYING BRAWL AND EVER TOUCHING METAKNIGHT. Not to mention it was my first time playing a smash game in years. Come on now. I've come light years from that point.

But yeah, I get what you're saying, and I never said melee had no mind games or whatever, I just think the tech detracted from that is all. Brawl just forces you into taking risks and forcing mind games, which is like I said before, the appeal of it and why I think it's probably a better game. I'm glad good players still won, that's how it should be, and I'm sure fundamentals were still really important, but I also think the fact ****ty players can win because they know tech is dumb. Wouldn't that make Brawl a better game because it doesn't have that factor? The fact Melee was faster and you had to react quicker is a valid argument though, I'll give you that.

I'll leave if Melee was a good game or not out of this since it doesn't really matter, you guys liked it and that's what counts. I, myself, as in me, did not like the game. That's what I've been saying from day 1.

This has seriously gotten way out of hand though, I'm not trying to hate on anyone as a person or whateverz. Just hate on Melee. I think we've pretty much reached a stopping / agreeing point in the argument though.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Nevermine Lozr cant make it sorry I tried.

My father is being a ****.:laugh:

anyways sorry again.

Top Bottom