• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The -NEW- Florida 2011 Brawl Power Rankings! Updated 5/10/11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
lol i was just about to say riddle isnt going

seibrik said he planned on it, but hes not sure

OverLade

Smash Hero
This can effect other characters to, lag isn't mk specific, and some characters rely much more on reaction then MK does.

The lag effects everyone, it's not MK specific and its definitely not m2k specific.
I'm just saying it affects his playstyle moreso than any other MK player. After playing with M2K for a couple hours I realized that his entire playstyle relies on abusing the imperfection of his opponents reaction...however this requires perfect reaction on his part in order to bait using spacing. He'll make a lot of things appear punisheable by spacing just outside of your range range after pressuring you into your shield. You then either grab and miss him (And get punished), or try to shield drop and do a tilt (which is too slow, as he can react to your shield drop and punish you either way). This is why some mathcups are "impossible", not because they're really impossible, but because the MK player is already at a huge frame and reactionary advantage and M2K is close enough to the saturation point at his A game that actually fighting back and punishing a lot of what he does requires frame perfect execution from a lot of characters.

However, just 1 frame of lag throws off a lot of the very subtle baits in his playstyle because it makes the margin of execution error smaller. A lot of MK players will fastfall in front of people and sidestep or fullhop nair directly from it. Is there a window to grab MK when he lands? Hell yeah there is, it's like 4 frames. Can people react that quickly, especially knowing that the same MK player that will do this, will also mix it up by airdodging subtly behind you, jumping and dairing your shield and timing it where your shield grab would roughly come out, or tornadoing you before coming down into your grab range (where you pre-emptively input a grab anticipating his 4 frames of landing lag, as specifically reacting to a window that small is impossible).

Tricking the opponents perception with these kinds of things is a lot of reaction, as MK has to buffer a lot of it, and perfectly work the spacing in order for these things to work. If you fastfall airdodge and input a backwards DI in order to attempt to bait an opponents shieldgrab, you have to land just outside the range of their shieldgrab, or see to it that you land faster than the speed of whatever their fastest out of shield move to punish you with is. These are all very subtle moments in perception. The window that you have to punish and realize these things is absolutely miniscule which is why reaction speed becomes so important.

M2K's bread and butter mix up game is all this stuff. I could write a giant flowchart on all of his mix ups but never execute them consistently because the reaction required to make the mix up "work perfectly" is absurd. Only M2K has it. That's why his MK just looks unnatural when he plays. He's literally not even moving like every other MK...

Anyway you can argue if you want my wall of text stands as is.
Yeah, muscle memory doesn't mean anything tommy.

HOWEVER, Halzy, the people with faster attacks get buffed, and MK has so many fast attacks. If you see him in a situation and you think he is going to do THIS, but you have one less frame to do it, which makes it harder to react/punish to. If you hit somebody's shield as MK with the backside of D-smash, you have one less frame to react, and in that situation 1 frame is important.

Rich Brown too good.
Yeah character choice affects which aspects of MK work and which dont.But MK can basically make up for whatever one character counters with some other aspect of gayness so it's alright. Between planking, dair camping, and all the **** spacing and baiting stuff I mentioned early, he "should" **** most of the cast, and while I won't say that a lot of characters cant beat him, the execution required to beat a perfect MK (M2K isn't perfect but M2K on a lagless TV with a good controller while playing to win is the closet we're likely to come to this) isn't really executable by many players in the USA even at their absolute A game.

Anyway you guys know what I mean, it's a generalization and once again I'm not calling anyone unbeatable, but I'm saying the "stop *****ing about MK" arguement is dumb because at a saturation point a lot of matchups turn into "I can't do ****, I'm always at a disadvantage, why should I even bother?". Even bellow the saturation point this is why most top MKs dont lose inside their state except to players who are just significantly better than them or Diddy and Falco or they're bad at matchups aka being bad because MK ***** everything.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Redhalberd wrote a wall of text to explain to everyone what baiting was.

NICE

--Afro
Thanks I appreciate your support I knew you would come around :awesome::awesome::awesome:

Seriously though, you understand how 1 frame of lag affects baiting and especially how much it impacts M2K's regular playstyle right? Thats all Im really getting at 1 frame of lag changes things I can't even prove it benefits MK more than other characters other than on a case to case basis but I believe it does concerning M2K...

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Thanks I appreciate your support I knew you would come around :awesome::awesome::awesome:

Seriously though, you understand how 1 frame of lag affects baiting and especially how much it impacts M2K's regular playstyle right? Thats all Im really getting at 1 frame of lag changes things I can't even prove it benefits MK more than other characters other than on a case to case basis but I believe it does concerning M2K...
No other character needs to be able to space.

Apprentice GoKeN

Smash Rookie
No one else spaces, or baits. Only MK is effected by lag then on top of that if you are also M2k playing MK you are extremely effected by lag.

Basically for m2k its not 1 frame of lag, its 319 frames of lag.
Thats how intense he is, AND he still wins.

You heard it here first.

--Afro

DFEAR

Smash Hero
No one else spaces, or baits. Only MK is Affected by lag then on top of that if you are also M2k playing MK you are extremely Affected by lag.

Basically for m2k its not 1 frame of lag, its 319 frames of lag.
Thats how intense he is, AND he still wins.

You heard it here first.

--Afro
fixd

and yea man :\ nobody needs to be able to position themselves correctly ever

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Redhalberd, in my hands I have two objects that will choose your destiny. The left hand has a shovel to help you dig yourself deeper into that hole. In my right hand, I hold a ladder to give you to get yourself out before you dig yourself too deep.

The choice is yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom