• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*** The New General Smashbros.com Thread *** (Read This First)

Snakz

Smash Ace
I think Ganondorf basically confirmed himself. I wasn't a big fan of Sheik either, but I'm glad she's returning...and still rocking the skintight...
Yea she does look awesome.

Ganondorf was pretty obvious, of course, but this made his PC appearance go from 99% to 100% in my mind.

Snakz

Smash Ace
Pikmin & Olimar: Final Smash

<End of Day>

Captain Olimar always makes sure to return to his spaceship before nightfall when he’s out exploring new planets. Why is that?

That’s because nighttime on these planets is absolutely teeming with scaaary wild beasts! To avoid an encounter with those creatures, Olimar takes to the safety of space during the night.

So how could we represent this idea in Brawl...?

First things first. Get that Smash Ball!

There’s Olimar’s ship!

Blast off! The ship soars higher and higher into the stratosphere.

Stars fill the sky above.

Wild beasts everywhere! Aaaah!

Characters left behind on the ground take lots and lots of damage.

But dishing out damage alone won’t score you points. The more people in the brawl, the more damage you can expect this attack to do, but beware—another opponent may steal the KO you’ve worked so hard to set up.

In a one-on-one match, this Final Smash won’t deal as much damage, but hey, there’s no worry that someone else will steal your KO, either.

I guess you could call this balancing the gameplay, huh?

The ship comes crashing back to the battlefield
with a huge explosion! Maybe, if you’re lucky,
you’ll catch someone in the blast?

I guess this update was to be expected since we got a taste of it from the Japanese Brawl commercials, good to get it out of the way, and let us know a little more detail on it.

This is a very well done FS IMO, it's unique, it's funny and deffinetly true to the series, not to mention getting attacked by wild animals sounds like a good way to maul your opponents.

Discuss

Snakz

Smash Ace
Sticker Power-ups

Your battle against the Subspace Emissary will one of epic fury. Naturally you’re going to want to do everything you can to strengthen each character for the fight ahead.

And that’s where stickers come into the picture!

These should do the trick.

Did you think those stickers were just for collecting?

Well, it seems you thought wrong! The truth is startling, huh?

Each sticker houses a special power up. For example, some up your attack power, others bolster the damage from fire-based attacks, and some even keep you from flying as far when you take a hit.

You can find the details of each sticker’s power-up ability here.

On the Map screen, select the Sticker option to move to the sticker-application screen. You can switch between characters with the L and R Buttons.

Here’s a shot of the underside of a trophy base.

Now slap down one of the sticky stickers you’ve collected.

Generally speaking, the bigger the sticker, the more dramatic the power up.

The more stickers you put on a trophy base, the more powerful that character becomes, but you’ll need to consider your placement and sticker choices carefully as space is limited.

Fill in those bare spots with little stickers...

Leave no space unused!

When two stickers offering a similar power up are placed on a trophy base, only the more potent of the two power ups will take effect.

So, for example, if you had [Leg] Attack +4 and [Leg] Attack +6 stickers on the same trophy base, the added [Leg] Attack bonus wouldn’t be +10—it’d simply be treated as if you’d only put down the +6 sticker.

You should always remember to maintain balance in your sticker selections.

Also, some stickers can only be placed on certain characters. Stickers whose range of usage is limited in this fashion are proportionally stronger when placed appropriately. Do your best to find a good place for each sticker.

If you find placing down stickers yourself too much of a bother, just let the game do it for you by selecting Random.

Once you’re ready, apply all the stickers at once!

You can adjust the position of stickers until you choose to apply them, but you can’t place stickers on top of each other, so you’ll occasionally need to remove old stickers to make space for new ones.

Once you peel off a sticker you applied, you lose it for good! So take care when you lay down your stickers.

Stickers applied to a trophy base take on a gray tint.

Also, for some reason, you’re able to readjust the position of an applied sticker on its trophy base.

So while removed stickers are gone forever, you’ll be getting stickers left and right as you play—you’ll probably find that sticker you lost again. And, if you only use stickers you have doubles of, you’ll never lose one from your collection.

Plus, as I’ve said before, the higher you set the difficulty in The Subspace Emissary, the better your chance of running across rare stickers.

Going back to a previously completed stage and cranking the difficulty up for a second run is a good way to round out your sticker collection.

If you retry a beaten stage, you can adjust the difficulty level.

But if you should die and find yourself at the game-over screen, be prepared to lose half the stickers you collected.

Nooo! What a waste of good stickers!

Finally, remember that stickers are only of use within The Subspace Emissary. Sorry to say, but they’ll be of no use to you in standard brawls.​

I'm sure we were all surprised about this, most of us thought these things served not real purpose except for the fun of collecting, I'm behind this feature all the way.

I'll admit i had a little sneaking suspicion that these things might possibly have some other kind of purpose than what was first presented to us, i mean what would the point of adding just another collectible item be without some purpose?

Just imagine how much more in depth the SSE will be with these, just another feature among the other hundreds in Brawl that i can't wait to try out.

How cool would it have been to have these available in regular Brawl? I'd assume if they were, they either controlled or banned from tournament play, most likely controlled, but well, we can't use in in regular Brawl anyway, just some insight.

Discuss

Stryks

Smash Hero
u gonna power up peach? Lol didnt see that one coming PP777 :p

anyway this is very cool, I mean I doubt the SSE is gonna be too hard, but a little power boost doesnt hurt anyone :p

Mike87

Smash Ace
Do you have to constantly say that you love peach every chance you get?

Anyway this ends a solid week of updates.

Olimar's stage was cool, it might be a pain in the *** when it rains though, but I like challenges.
Shiek's confirmation was expected, its interesting that she was supposed to make an appearance in TP.
End of Days is a unique FS, but I don't think I'd use it much.
and the Sticker-power ups are very cool indeed, it adds strategy to the game.
The Challenges thing is okay, at least we wont have to look all over the internet when it comes to unlocking stuff.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord

Olimar's stage was cool, it might be a pain in the *** when it rains though, but I like challenges.
Shiek's confirmation was expected, its interesting that she was supposed to make an appearance in TP.
The Challenges thing is okay, at least we wont have to look all over the internet when it comes to unlocking stuff.
Nice summary, I thought rapscouter said today there was gonna be a 3rd party PC

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
Do you have to constantly say that you love peach every chance you get?

yeah and it's my sig too

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Wow filipino, way to go at making urself look like an *******, nice job...
Err, perhaps I should rephrase. I meant, if it's the only thing she has to say in a post (for example, "omg i soooo love peach i love her"), then it doesn't really need to be said. (ie, spam)

Del Money

Smash Champion
Nice summary, I thought rapscouter said today there was gonna be a 3rd party PC
Grain of salt, dude...grain of salt...
yeah and it's my sig too
Your sig also says "Real Men Use Peach"...so I'm assuming you're a real man.
Anyway...stickers ftw!
I actually think the concept of powering-up characters is a little absurd. I mean I'm glad that the stickers are actually useful rather than just lame game-filler, but the concept of powering up character stats to do battle seems like Sakurai is trying too hard to throw in RPG aspects into the SSE. I dunno, maybe it's implemented a lot smoother than it initially seems.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I actually think the concept of powering-up characters is a little absurd. I mean I'm glad that the stickers are actually useful rather than just lame game-filler, but the concept of powering up character stats to do battle seems like Sakurai is trying too hard to throw in RPG aspects into the SSE. I dunno, maybe it's implemented a lot smoother than it initially seems.
I find it exciting, actually. I mean from what we've heard, SsE is going to be at least a 14hour game mode. This obviously means that the game will get challenging at some points. I feel an RPG eliment to the game will make it more fun, and definitely give you more replay value trying to find the best character combination.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the stickers will even be necessary for lower level difficulties, but maybe it'll just be something to do for fun.
Well, you're probably right. But I guarantee that somewhere along the line you're going to have to beat a stage really fast to unlock something secret (character, stage, trophy, etc...) and if you have the mode on Very Easy with your super slow/fast character powered up to the fullest, you should have found the one reason to have your trophy stickered.

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
Well that's better, still shes obviously peach addicted, so theres no point in telling her to stop, so let her be I guess...

thank you......:)
Grain of salt, dude...grain of salt...
Your sig also says "Real Men Use Peach"...so I'm assuming you're a real man.
i am not it's ok to put in ....
Unexpected... But Sakurai needed to include this. He probably knew there was no real point in the stickers anyway. I'm putting them all on Samus!!!
yeah i wonder can we just put those stickers in more then one character?

Sandy

Smash Champion
January 21st Update

Zelda's Final Smash

<Light Arrow>

In the final battles of many of the Legend of Zelda games, you didn’t want to be low on arrows. A lot of times they were Silver Arrows, though...

Zelda’s ace in the hole is the magical Light Arrow, which you can use even as Sheik.

Ready for the Final Smash!

Draw the bow tight...

Fire! A beam of light pierces your enemy.

Your enemy is blown away by a tremendous force!

When you’re using Sheik, some of the characteristics of the attack will change, like the direction your opponent gets knocked in.
It’s good to use the character whose attack is best suited to the cover on each stage, but you probably shouldn’t worry TOO much about that.

After all, once they’re hit, they’re pretty much done for.

If you’re just playing one-on-one though, the Light Arrow might be easy to dodge. Try to create a situation where you have a good shot.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Manaphy would be awesome in tournament play (IMO). Of course, there is virtually a 0% chance of that happening, but that would add a whole layer of depth to Brawl.

Snakz

Smash Ace
Mushroomy Kingdom

Ah, the Mushroom Kingdom. Most Smash players recognize this place from previous games in the series, where the world was represented in a pixel-art style reminiscent of the original Super Mario Bros.

But why the "y" on the end of "Mushroom"? What’s the difference?

Oh, so that’s why!

This time around, we’ve designed a stage that recreates the layout of World 1-1 in Super Mario Bros.—but with rich backgrounds added to the mix.

The stage scrolls forward at a leisurely pace.

Pieces of familiar scenery scroll by.

The kingdom you once knew has turned to ruins over the long years, and it is now your battlefield.

You’ll get to enjoy a wide range of familiar structures. Also, since the stage slowly scrolls sideways, battles here will require you to come up with a very different strategy for winning.

Oh, and when you select this stage it will occasionally load an alternate underground stage.

This is the famous World 1-2. This one’s also quite charming.

Im sorry i havent been keeping up with these lately, school is starting for me again so i cant do this as often as before, but anyways, on to the update.

So yea this an awesome stage concept, i would've preferred that Sakurai did at least 1 other version of the world 1-1 stage, like a forest ruin kind, just cause the sandy one could probably get dull after a while.

But then again we barely seen anything from this stage, there could be some more interesting parts, not to mention the inclusion of that nice world 1-2 part, that's even more awesomeness.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the SSE?

The music is just friggin sweet, i love Latin style music, and adding one to Mario music is just pure gold.

Discuss

Stryks

Smash Hero
Gotta love the stage, sure its banned no doubt, still gotta love the graphics on that stage, freakin beautiful, and I like the idea on how its all ruins and such...

btw when PP777 posts here: this is as close to peachs castle uwill get, count on it :p

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
Gotta love the stage, sure its banned no doubt, still gotta love the graphics on that stage, freakin beautiful, and I like the idea on how its all ruins and such...

btw when PP777 posts here: this is as close to peachs castle uwill get, count on it :p
i really don't know why but i hate this stage soooooo much.....
i'm bored of this kind we had the same in smash bros 64 and melee
and every one keep getting me i just hate it get over it will ya
stupid mushrromy kindom:mad:

Stryks

Smash Hero
What? cmon peach this stage is as nostalgic as it gets, but its now in ruins, thats nostalgic AND badass, like err nostadass... yeah...

u gotta love the graphics...

KraidGuy

Smash Ace
Phaaze. I am a mercenary of the Dark Hunter. Hel
Peach, you hate every good stage. Stop it.

And am I the only one that thinks this stage is sad? I mean, this place used to be so happy and full of plant life and animals... but now everything is dead and barren... used to be so jolly, but now lifeless... Makes me wonder what happenned to it.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Peach, you hate every good stage. Stop it.

And am I the only one that thinks this stage is sad? I mean, this place used to be so happy and full of plant life and animals... but now everything is dead and barren... used to be so jolly, but now lifeless... Makes me wonder what happenned to it.
Subspace Emissary maybe? The background looks kinda familiar....

Top Bottom