• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Guide To Spray Painting Your Gamecube Controller

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
That's it! I like it because it doesn't give much of a reflection like other grades do, especially the Crystal Clear stuff; it takes in light and holds it instead of reflecting it back into your face.

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
I havent logged in ages, it made me feel good to see my old pics are still up

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I really need to paint one of mine. How do you guys paint the end of the cord? the plugin. Just put tape over the edges? I'm afraid paint is gonna get inside.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Make a nice seal with painter/making/frog tape. Prime, paint, clearcoat. Take off tape :D

If there's any paint where it shouldn't be, just scrape it off :D. Just be careful if it is on the wire.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I painted for controllers recently and I'm about to paint 3 more. I'll have pics up next week.

My friend wants me to make his controller look similar to this one in the opening:

Anyone have any tips on the best way to go about doing this?

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Painter's tape. I did a Lucario themed controller for my friend, and painter's tape is your best friend.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
I can't believe how long this simple thread has gone on.
Blows my mind that you guys can talk about the wonders
of paint for 17 pages.

Though it did help me out. Neon pink controller!
Thanks!

Keitaro

lol yeah I'm at 7 pages too.

I painted about 8 controllers that I haven't even put up pics of yet. I will take and put up pics either tonight or tomorrow.

Keitaro

Pics coming soon but for now I come with this advice I got from someone:

Morgan Tickner Alexander Nhara-Young Kim said:
i can't comment on that 'thread' i was tagged in, but the advice i can give your friend is he needs to lightly sand his controller down, put 3-5 LIGHT coats of primer. then about 5-8 (depending on the color he's after) of base coat. The final step will be a long process of 10 coats of clear coat and a light session of sanding between coats 7 and 8, then after s/he lets it dry and cure i would then... wet-sand the controller for a nice glossy shine and feel.

All paints for this process would be car paints (leather/vinel such as duplicolor.

Another easier method is using krylon plastic spray paint, but it's cheaper and wears off after a decent amount of play time (depending on how rough he handles his controllers).

If your friend needs a written tutorial and a list of parts tell him to feel free to add me as a friend and i can message him what to do, exactly. Step-by-step.

I won't however teach him any mods i've learned to do, ie: LED lights and cord replace

Keitaro

I would, but I know a guy or 2 who are even better than me at painting controllers. One lives in Washington and the other lives in NY. If you become interested in attempting to do something let me know. I can ask them for prices for now.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Sounds good to me. I have ~7 extra controllers I could spare to get painted or use while my main is getting painted. :)

:phone:

Btw I'd put the money along with the gcc. I don't have a paypal. lol

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'm definitely down for commissions as well.

Got 16+ controller shells back at the house lol...

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Your choice. We can all show you what we all bring to the table. In my case:

Those are the only two that I have pictures of. Also, the "Zelda" controller wasn't meant to be Zelda themed; I go by Z and my favorite color is green haha..

Also, I'd like to add that even though the buttons are painted, they do NOT stick or restrict movements.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Sorry about the double post.

Is there anyway this can be fixed up? I have some wiring showing.. lol.

[collapse=wires...]
[/collapse]

And yes, that's what I'm using now haha. A strip of painters tape with "MONK" written on it. :laugh:

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Soldering + shrink tube. Done.

Or we can replace the wiring all together on the pcb, or even the pcb itself. It won't affects your buttons since we'll be using the same rubber + mechanics.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Oh wow, you guys can do that?! :O

This is so amazing. Now I just need to find prices for commissions haha. Also, I need names of people to contact to see who'll do the commission. So far I only know of you and Keitaro.

Keitaro

Random phone pics of the controllers I painted recently:

Oh wow, you guys can do that?! :O

This is so amazing. Now I just need to find prices for commissions haha. Also, I need names of people to contact to see who'll do the commission. So far I only know of you and Keitaro.
I just messaged a guy named Chris Ahearn from NY to see if he can show me some pics of his controllers so I can show you. They are VERY good. Feel free to have myself or anyone else from here do a theme for you if its simple but you might want something more like his own after you see his pics.

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
I dunno about everyone else, but I do small electronics and dual modding people's arcade sticks and such, so it's not too hard.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Keitaro, are those controllers glowing or is that your phone? lol

This stuff seems really cool. I may think about having a controller painted as well but I'll have to think of a design first.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
What is the best way for me to pack my controller up when I'm done using it to avoid damaging the tube and exposing the wire like I did on my controller?

Keitaro

Aight, I got Chris Adhearn's pics of controllers. His smash name is C4. Take a look:

Anti's controller:

What I do is this:

1st day - apply 3 coats of adhesion promoter for the paint to stick, then apply the first color (3 coats) on the controller and wait 24 hours.

2nd day - apply frisket designs on controller (if desired) on controller before painting next 3 coats of another color.

3rd day - repeating day 2 if necessary, but I'll peal off designs and apply clear coat acrylic paint (3 coats) if no additional colors are needed.

4th day - another 3 coats of acrylic clear coat for extra protection.

After that it's a week of drying before it can be used.
Also here's his thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292943

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I would, but I know a guy or 2 who are even better than me at painting controllers. One lives in Washington and the other lives in NY. If you become interested in attempting to do something let me know. I can ask them for prices for now.
is that washington state? if so, who is it?

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Would I be able to have a controller that's painted the color of the Project M website BG and have the Project M logo where the "Nintendo Gamecube" text is? I would love this so much. Would be so hype. <3
So the darkened teal color and the Project M logo? If we can get a high rez picture of it by itself, we can make a decal of it and apply it.

Yeah, it's very possible :D

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
So the darkened teal color and the Project M logo? If we can get a high rez picture of it by itself, we can make a decal of it and apply it.

Yeah, it's very possible :D
I can absolutely get you a high rez picture of it by itself later today! A decal of it is going to be fantastic! Would you be able to possibly make it fade from teal into a dark teal/black for the controller case? I can't wait for this. Approximately how much do you think this would cost and would it be fine if I just included the payment in the controller shipment?

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
I've never done color fades on a controller, let alone doing spraypaint art either..

I'd imagine for something that small, I'd have to use an airbrush (something I'm not experienced in sadly)

The way I'm thinking though is getting both colors and then spraying the darker color, but might come out "pixelated" or the like.

Keitaro

I can absolutely get you a high rez picture of it by itself later today! A decal of it is going to be fantastic! Would you be able to possibly make it fade from teal into a dark teal/black for the controller case? I can't wait for this. Approximately how much do you think this would cost and would it be fine if I just included the payment in the controller shipment?
If anything if you can get a high res pic and post it back here that would be great. If one of us can't do it we can find someone who can.

Also lol, yeah my phone somehow made the controllers glow :p

@ Monk: If you would like a controller similar to the ones that I made that I posted earlier I can do one for you. Let me know and I can give prices. Most likely $5 for each paint, $5 to $10 for shipping, and $15 for labor so this controller here with the two paints black and green (was originally silver) and the plug painted would be about $10 + $10 + $15 = $35. I'd be willing to start painting within 24 hours of receiving the controller and it would probably take me about a week from when I get the controller to begin shipping it back due to painting, drying, and such.

Same goes for this one since its blue and pink paint on a white controller:

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
@ Keitaro, how were you able to do the colors on the light blue and pink controller? That looks really good :)

Keitaro

@ Keitaro, how were you able to do the colors on the light blue and pink controller? That looks really good :)
Thanks dude. Its pretty simple.

Before I begin painting, I hang my controller on a wire hanger with both parts of the controller together. I then take one of the spray cans and spray one side of the controller. Afterwards I spray the other side of the controller while slightly spraying over some of the other side which causes the fade. I do that about 4 times for 4 coats.

do u guys know anybody who does lights n such? or do you know of any mods other than paint?

I know of a guy who does LEDs and cord replacements from Washington State. I've been meaning to ask how much he charges so I will ask and get back to ya.

Top Bottom