• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Guide To Spray Painting Your Gamecube Controller

escro

Smash Ace
I watched the videos on his channel, it was quite insightful but it's going to be hard for me to apply it seeing as I have no access to those paints here in Australia.

I'll try to try out a few other brands of paint made specifically for plastic at my local auto shop (my previous ones were generic paints) until i get this right.

oh, and it seems humidity is really bad for paint jobs, at least in my case.
It's been raining every day for about a week now and when i picked up my controller again after a while i noticed it's gotten twice as sticky and some areas (where i assume i had oversprayed) have turned yellowy. some of the gloss seems to have disappeared as well.

what a string of bad events.
D:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Does anyone know what the insides of a Wii "classic controller" are like and whether or not they can be swapped out (leaving sticks and bottons in place) for the inside of a Gamecube controller?

I just found the most amazing golden controler with gold rubber sticks and everything but I don't want to buy it and never have a use for it (I'd rather play my n64 games on my n64).

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
CC sticks are slightly taller, have thinner sticks, and are a bit wider on the top. They're able to be used, but they just kind of slide a bit. At least from what I've seen with using a CC stick.

GameStation aka C4?!

Smash Journeyman
Right, you've taken it apart, so you know what the insides look like. Can I mod it to work as a GC controller?
Well know that goes into "how can I make a controller from today and make it work like a controller made a decade ago". It involves measuring volts that the controller would need, making a completely new circuit board from scratch, and a whole lot of soldering.

It's a hefty project. Can it be done? Sure it could, but you would need the resources and know how like some of those guys who make custom systems by taking it apart and slapping on a portable screen. Kinda how like the macintosh first built their G3 systems, only less complicated. Thinking out side of the box only to think back into a smaller box. lol

and of course, the feel would be completely off, I would think at least. Here's the new thing, take a gamecube controller and put a portable screen on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mZ5O3ifid8

GameStation aka C4?!

Smash Journeyman
So it wouldn't be possible to just place the sticks and stuff onto the regular GC controller circuitry then?
Shame.
Oh no I'm not saying that, certainly not. You can put a GC stick in a CC controller, but I never thought of that. To me I considered what it would have felt like. I would prefer a CCpro over a regular CC for stick replacement.

escro

Smash Ace
erm. if you mean to just pop the circuit board into the classic controller shell, then no it wont work.
firstly the sticks and button placings are all different so even if the board itself managed to fit inside the Classic's case, you wouldn't be able to use it.

if you want to have a gamecube circuit board in a classic controller's shell, you'd probably have to start from scratch and MAKE it yourself.

although, if the whole point of this is so you can get the same feel of the flat-like controller of the classic, then you could probably look into modding the gamecube controller SHELL, such as cutting off the handles on the side, or something.

hope that helped

escro

Smash Ace
im not quite sure why you're trying to do this...
you want to use the CC sticks with the gamecube controller, but want to encase it in the CC case, and you want it to be gold?

you can try paint a gamecube controller gold using the steps in this thread, then swap out the control stick and c stick with CC sticks.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Oh, sure, who can't follow instructions and paint something? It'd only last so long though before the paint went and it started looking horrendous. Trust me, I really overuse my GC controllers. My current one has practically no stick left (the rubber all went long ago). This is why I want it gold by manufacture.
As for why the CC case, the colour is glorious and who doesn't like the PS2 shape?

escro

Smash Ace
true, but if you follow the steps and do it properly (or get someone else who can do it for you) then itll be as good, if not better than a manufacture version.
you could ask anyone in this thread whove painted their controller for a testimonial

btw, have you considered just using a classic controller (or a classic pro)?
as far as I know, apart from the different button and stick placings and the obvious wireless issue, they function the same as a gamecube controller, so there isnt much difference in gameplay.

also i dont quite understand... you said you wanted a gold controller colour but you talk about the "glorious" white colour of the CC controller?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
From what I've been told, the CC will only work for VC games, not gamecube ones, which means it's pretty much Yoshi's Story or nothing for me. I don't really want a controller that I'll never use, no matter how pretty it may be.

As for the "glorious colour of the CC", I'm specifically talking about the goldeneye limited edition one, which has gold sticks even.

escro

Smash Ace
I see.
Well since you were posting on this thread i naturally assumed you wanted it for brawl.

Good luck finding the controller.

:phone:

escro

Smash Ace
hey guys,

does anyone know where to buy used gamecube controllers (official) for cheap?
I want to mainly use them for practicing painting, and i was thinking that further along the track id be able to sell painted shells to friends.

i bought a few 3rd party china controllers from ebay and ive been slowly working on my painting skills, but for some reason they dont fit on the official controller...

at the moment i dont have enough money to buy brand new controllers off playasia and paint them, although that would be the easiest way of obtainng controllers that i could sell off later.

many sites such as amazon have a few used ones, but they rarely ship to australia.

any ideas?
thanks

escro

Smash Ace
same here, though it's mostly an experimental piece that i did on a china ripoff controller
haven't had much time to work on it since it's been raining for weeks =(

I sort of want that controller too. Does it take the power from the console I assume? Or does it need batteries?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Reccommended paints for painting the buttons?
Preferabley paints that bond to the plastic

Sorry if this has been answered earlier on :s

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
I have yet to find a vinyl dye product that actually works as described. I think the buttons might be made of a plastic that's too hard to absorb it, or the stuff I found wasn't real vinyl dye. I've been meaning to start looking again though.

BrahmenNoodles

Smash Cadet
Howdy folks, I intend on ordering a Tri Wing screwdriver 'n procuring the other supplies to paint a controller in the coming days. Can barely wait to give it a shot, though I have a quick query beforehand;

Is it much of a task to get the paint and what not in/on the walls of the deep screw depressions at the bottom of the wings? I ask so that if it is a bit tricky to get it in there, I can know to avoid coating it too thick on the surrounding area (which is what she said :cool:.)

Also, in general regards to the screw holes themselves, is there any possibility of the paint becoming an issue after getting in the threads, or will the screws just break/chip off whatever bits from inside the threads and screw in fine anyway?

With so many great results out there, I'm sure it must not be much of an issue or is easily avoidable, either way I'd just like to know whats up before I get in to it.

D

Deleted member

I'm planning on painting my controller but I had no idea on what to do. The controllers you guys had on the first post were great, I have a friend with a tri-wing screw driver so it should be good. Question though, if I were to add LED lights, would they at all appear if I didn't have a clear back? And if so, would it be possible to drill some holes somewhere on the controller and have the light come out?

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Getting enough paint into the holes to cover the entire thing isn't really a practical effort. Simply by getting good coverage on the surrounding exterior will result in a sufficient amount covering the shallower parts of the hole well enough. They don't show up under casual inspection, and are really dark even up close, so you won't notice any issues.

Depending on the intensity of the LEDs, they can show through the white controllers. I wouldn't expect much from the darker plastics. While you can drill holes for LEDs, having done it before I wouldn't recommend it. The holes can collect dirt and grime just like the other hard corners of the controller, so if you already have issues with sweaty hands or whatever they'll gunk out pretty quickly if they're anywhere near the handles. I would spring for a clear shell, if you can find one. I don't have experience with the chinese knockoffs as far as compatibility with official Nintendo circuit boards, but at $5 it could be worth checking out.

escro

Smash Ace
i've tried the chinese knockoffs because i wanted to experiment with painting
the plastic is a cheaper build and unfortunately they don't fit the circuitry of the nintendo brand controllers. shame.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
I one of the pictures there's a symbol from the legend of Zelda on top of the controller where the Nintendo symbol use to be. how'd he or she get that on there?

:phone:

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Two questions come in mind right now.

1. Do I need to sand down the buttons?

2. Can I paint in my apartment, or should I paint outside?
Well I mentioned some stuff already in the facebook group but my answers:

1) I really wouldn't recommend painting buttons - it won't last very long. I believe the mycustomxbox guy said that his colored buttons are "bleached". So idk what's involved in that process but I'm not sure it's an at-home thing.

2) Outside is probably better... If you have to do it inside (it's pretty cold in canada :p), try to set up as much ventilation as possible. I can't comment on the exact hazards cause I don't know. Follow the instructions on the paint can?

Top Bottom