• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Guide To Spray Painting Your Gamecube Controller

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Sprayed it all pink, taped up everything except for the "feet" then sprayed them red.

NTMR

Smash Rookie
So I want to do this, but I have a few questions:

- Can the shoulder buttons (L/R primarily) be sanded down to be clear, or are those dyed grey?
- Has anyone tried glow in the dark paint? I feel like a mix of UV LEDs and glow in the dark paint would be pretty cool but I'm not sure whether any kind of glow in the dark paint is going to stick to the plastic
- Do you recommend spraying the inside of the shells?

Jeremy Smith

Smash Apprentice
do you need to sand the buttons and sticks if you're going to paint them?

alright so i royally messed it up ... can i use turpentine to get all the paint off or will it mess up the plastic? If i cant do i need to sand it or is there an easier way, preferably something i can soak it in.

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm going to do this with my controller, I'm gunna spraypaint it like the greek flag, and make everything that's not gray on the buttons black. I'll post with pictures in about a week or so when I visit home depot and get my screwdriver from amazon.

Shök

Smash Champion
So I want to do this, but I have a few questions:

- Can the shoulder buttons (L/R primarily) be sanded down to be clear, or are those dyed grey?
- Has anyone tried glow in the dark paint? I feel like a mix of UV LEDs and glow in the dark paint would be pretty cool but I'm not sure whether any kind of glow in the dark paint is going to stick to the plastic
- Do you recommend spraying the inside of the shells?
The shoulder buttons don't have to be sanded.

Ha ha. One of my friends wanted to try the glow in the dark paint as well. Unfortunately, he never got around doing so.

I wouldn't recommend painting inside the shell. What's the point? :p

do you need to sand the buttons and sticks if you're going to paint them?

alright so i royally messed it up ... can i use turpentine to get all the paint off or will it mess up the plastic? If i cant do i need to sand it or is there an easier way, preferably something i can soak it in.
You don't have to sand the buttons or sticks.

Preferably, just sand the controller again.

This is awesome. Does anyone have any tips on how to spray on patterns and intricacies?
Painter's Tape is one good way to get some nice designs on your controller.

That or just some stencils.

I think I'm going to do this with my controller, I'm gunna spraypaint it like the greek flag, and make everything that's not gray on the buttons black. I'll post with pictures in about a week or so when I visit home depot and get my screwdriver from amazon.
Ha ha. That sounds cool. Be sure to post your pictures. :p

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
I have a question, did everyone here paint the inside of their controllers also? I'm not sure if that will limit space for the circuit board if I do, or how I'll get the sandpaper in every nook and cranny.

Shök

Smash Champion
I have a question, did everyone here paint the inside of their controllers also? I'm not sure if that will limit space for the circuit board if I do, or how I'll get the sandpaper in every nook and cranny.
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of the people here have not painted the inside of the shell.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the paint will not do anything to the circuit board.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
No put my painting? :(

I'm gonna repaint it cuz it chipped (and Coma isn't my gamertag anymore lulz).

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of the people here have not painted the inside of the shell.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the paint will not do anything to the circuit board.
I sprayed it accidentally with like 20 layers of primer, so the paint letterally just peeled off. I might try it again, but I need to be more careful.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Wow! This thread is too cool! Thanks Dikastis Shok! I'm going to try this out!

Seriously.. this is so cool. Gonna do this within the next few weeks. ;D

Shök

Smash Champion
I sprayed it accidentally with like 20 layers of primer, so the paint letterally just peeled off. I might try it again, but I need to be more careful.
Wow. That's a lot of primer.

I'm actually going to try the LED light one. I have a few I've done stuff like this at home so I'll be sure to give some of my own input later on. Thanks for this thread! Nice to have it all in one place.
Sounds good and thanks. :p

Wow! This thread is too cool! Thanks Dikastis Shok! I'm going to try this out!

Seriously.. this is so cool. Gonna do this within the next few weeks. ;D
Lol. No problem. Be sure to tell us how it goes. ;)

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I just got my pair of sticks painted

I got my gamer name MINK on there as well as my crew name on the back
SwampNigas

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Is that paint done with stencil

or permanent marker?
Before i put on the clear coats i waited for the paint to dry, and i used sharpie so i could get the words exactly how i wanted it. I thought that it'd look better that way. I tried using stencil and it just got all messed up.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
I used this guide for my first painting, it turned out OK. Then the paint chipped =( and then I changed my gamertag T_T so I'll be repainting. Sharpie isn't a bad idea, but I'd have to find a gold Sharpie lol. My friends are painting theirs too, so next weekend we're having a big painting project in my garage, 2 Wiichuck and 1 GCN, it's gonna be great.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
I waited 1+ week before using it, it was fine. I dropped it a couple days later and it chipped on a wood floor lol. Not too badly though, just right on the edge.

Shök

Smash Champion
I waited 1+ week before using it, it was fine. I dropped it a couple days later and it chipped on a wood floor lol. Not too badly though, just right on the edge.
Oh. So, I guess, it wasn't the paint job, huh? Lol.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
No, the job was good. I think maybe I didn't put enough clear coat? Or maybe it was just the fall lol.

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
I have a question about Button Painting and Plug Painting. Did you sand your buttons, sticks, and triggers?

Also I'm having a friend do some art work on my controller with paint. Is the best idea to apply paint in this order: primer, spray paint, artwork/designs, then the clearcoat?

I'll be uploading pictures when I finish. It will blow your mine all thanks to my artist friend.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I have a question about Button Painting and Plug Painting. Did you sand your buttons, sticks, and triggers?

Also I'm having a friend do some art work on my controller with paint. Is the best idea to apply paint in this order: primer, spray paint, artwork/designs, then the clearcoat?

I'll be uploading pictures when I finish. It will blow your mine all thanks to my artist friend.
WEll.....
dont do it too thick, the more layers, the more you should let it sit. i advise a MINIMUM of two days. or the paint couls shift. clearcoat last.
and yes for sanding.

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
WEll.....
dont do it too thick, the more layers, the more you should let it sit. i advise a MINIMUM of two days. or the paint couls shift. clearcoat last.
and yes for sanding.
Thanks Mink! Just to make sure I understand, you're saying which shouldn't be too thick?
I'm thinking of doing 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, then let that dry for however long, then have my friend paint on the controller and let that dry for a couple days, and then clear coat it.

Any suggestions?

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for this guide! I've now distinguished my controller so no ******* will swap it with their crappy controller.

Anyways, I did have a question. For painting the rubbers on the c-stick, what kind of spray would you recommend, and how would you recommend I do it?

I actually did spray the rubber, but after drying and such and playing, it just rubbed off, and I had a nice stain on my thumb.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anyone know a place where I can buy Game Cube controllers?

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice

My first attempt at painting my controller. Other than the messed up Z, I think it turned out well.

A note that I want to make to other people: If you're going to use a stencil and print something on the top, might want to make that paper thick. The paper got soaked with all the spray and was hard to peel off, as you can see.

EDIT: My bad on DPing again :/

Shök

Smash Champion

My first attempt at painting my controller. Other than the messed up Z, I think it turned out well.

A note that I want to make to other people: If you're going to use a stencil and print something on the top, might want to make that paper thick. The paper got soaked with all the spray and was hard to peel off, as you can see.

EDIT: My bad on DPing again :/
Well done. I like the colors and stencil design.

Top Bottom