• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new lubbock thread!

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
I talked to my old CA, he's going to help me print and post fliers at Bledsoe and he'll probably be assisting the day of the tourney with behavior and conduct.

So the date I chose is Saturday at 6pm. Any objections?

Edit: I'm not really sure, but since we are going to use an on-campus facility, I'm guessing there are some restrictions on bringing people from outside of campus, maybe just friends that you know personally would be perfectly acceptable. As for posting elsewhere on campus, I think we need permission from those who run bulletins and such but I was also looking at putting fliers at or close to dining halls, also the SUB would be a good place to broadcast.

Edit2: Good to know, alright then so let's get to work (post & train)! :)

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
That is fine with me, I thought you were wanting to avoid Saturday at all costs? Im guessing since the game will be over by then its all ok?

Another thing, are we restricted to where we can put flyers, like maybe a gamestop or something?

felix45

Smash Lord
saturday at 6pm is fine.

I wouldn't worry about where to put the fliers either, I just put them where I thought people would see them. the worst that will happen if you put a flier where it shouldn't be is it will be thrown away, no big deal really.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Oh no worries, I was just worried that worst case scenario there'd be people going wild or getting into the game so much it'd stir up a big fight or a tv would be knocked over or chairs flung across the lounge or the roof would collapse or a fire would start. JK, I'm fine with bringing more players.. :p

My CA was supposed to post fliers today...I've yet to see one, so I'm gonna print some out and do it myself...a good place to put them are the bathrooms too guys, so be creative..

The above is just a joke, I didn't mean it to sound sarcastic... Hey, should we get some practice in tomorrow?

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Hmm soo one of my buddies that is maybe coming might bring a set up as well. That would put us at 4! every little bit helps...

I think we will bring in 25-30 people im hyped

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha never depend on a CA to do anything that doesn't benefit them. I can't tell you the failures we had with them. I think once someone had advertised an iPod or something as a prize for the tournament and the CA was supposed to get it through some kind of funding that he was 'sure' he could get.

But to agree with Felix we never had a problem bringing people from off campus except for them getting in doors without an ID.

I miss my Tech Tournaments.........:(

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
lolz tech tournies

remember when I went all ness

good times

I am actually amazed since Fmatt's departure the little ole Lubbock Smash Community ship has remained afloat somehow.

go you guys :O

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Here is what the hall coordinator said about charging an entry fee:

"After reading what you want to do with the money collected I have to say no to the idea. Because you are collecting money from participants where the winners will make money and the losers will not, that constitutes gambling. Gambling is not allowed within the residence halls, is against Tech policy, and there are numerous laws that take a long time to navigate in order make it legal and acceptable.

I agree that having prizes has the potential to bring out more participants, but I hope that you can see now that it is just something we cannot allow to happen.

Thank you for reposting your flyers with the changes I asked for.

Good luck and I hope you have a good turn out!"

So yeah, that's the bad news. However we can mm other players, that we can do.

felix45

Smash Lord
the way we get around it usually is by no one caring except the people entering in the tournament and it is a non-issue. I have even been able to get away posting entry fee and pot split on tech announce before with extreme ease, and I have done it multiple times, but if you keep telling people who have authority we are going to charge entry then hand it out to the winners they will call it gambling and shut it down.

seems like this time we will just have to go with free entry and next time we will just have it at some other dorm where the CA wont even know we were there. I would say lets just move it to some other dorm but we already advertised via fliers that it will be at Bledsoe so there really isn't any way around it this time.

another solution would be that we can falsley pose as TGL, charge entry as membership dues, then go buy a prize with the money and give it to the winner, getting around this, but considering we will be watched I dont think it is worth it. May as well just make the tournament free.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
What about another dorm close by, We can show up to bledsoe and just tell everyone we are moving it, i dont think people would mind a 5minute walk or whatever to wherever we decide to go. possibly even leave a note in the room saying it was moved, but then i guess you risk someone with authority seeing it. But i honestly don't think people would mind just moving if we can just let them know.

One of the biggest reasons i am so adamant about doing whatever we have to to keep it at least $1 is because of the number of off campus people i know that are coming to play in there very first tournament and are really excited about everything being like a normal tourny, bracket,entry free ect.

I am guessing we can't just ask the people once they get there if they would like to do it that way. ( charging) is the CA going to be on us that hard?

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
Have to say I told you so..... anyway

When I lived in Murray I just reserved the training room in whatever the 'apartment like' dorms are next to it. For the most part they don't bother you. They asked once what I wanted to use it for and I just said a video game tournament, and that was the end of that conversation. I don't remember if we started doing $1 entry or not. I know we did a few times, but yeah a lot of them were free. Are your friends really that eager to lose their money Tyson?

I never saw the tournaments being free as a downside. I mean most people aren't travelling long distance to go to tournaments at Tech, and I highly doubt they ever will. Charging for local tournaments IMO is kinda like taking money from your friends.... but then I'm working now so money just isn't much of an issue for me any more.

Sorry for rambling.......

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
No, they arnt, but its ONE dollar, when i told them it was 1 in the first place they wanted it to go higher. Every local tournament i have ever heard of always does it for money. I don't see it has taking money from my friends at all. Besides i would have to win in order to do that

felix45

Smash Lord
yeah matt, its all friendly competition and the dollar gives you incentive to try your best to win!

and you didn't tell me anything matt lol, like I said I have been able to get posts on tech announce multiple times with entry fee and pot split in the announcement. so long as you aren't telling people who have to do something about it if they find out you want to gamble, this is a non-issue.

I suppose that we could do that tyson but it just seems like a big hassle to me. I think just going through with it as a free tournament will be fine, I will still make brackets and such.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Thank you felix. The whole reason people would want to pay the one dollar, so people are trying there absolute best. I don't see any hard in asking the people once they get there if they want too pay a dollar. I mean what is the worst than can happen?? they say no?? and i guess WORST case scenario some how the CA finds out. lol we would have been dealing with around 25dollars or so, so redistributing the money back to the people would be super easy and no hassle. All i am saying is it would not hurt to at least still try.

What time are yall getting there?? i figured i would go early and help get everything set up. We will have 4 set ups from what i believe.

Alex-full
Felix-full
I will bring a wii plus there is the lounge TV.
My friend dave was probably going to bring a tv and a wii ( his tv is good sized so i figure il hook my wii up to his and use it for finals and stuff like that.)

felix45

Smash Lord
well actually the worst that could happen now that we have been warned is that someone could be arrested. it is more likely that we just give everyone back the 1 dollar but I dont really have the money to risk arrest right now, it costs too much. if you want to be the one to claim responsibility and hold the money that is fine with me, and you are right chances are nothing will happen. I think the easiest thing though would be to just make it a free tournament.

yeah I'll be bringing my setup and computer for brackets. I will probably leave around 5:30 or later to get there so I will be there a little early. hopefully people living outside of bledsoe wont have any trouble getting in.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
I think it's quite easy getting into Bledsoe, but the entrance that's across Sneed is blocked off right now so you'll have to go through the fresh plate entrance. And there's always people going in and out so I don't see a big problem, but we can also put up a sign for people to call or text us to let them in.

If you're driving on University, it's the dorm right across Raising Cane's or if you're on campus, it's right besides the dorm behind West Hall.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Heck i dont even know where bleadsoe is? and where are we suppose to park?

And i am just going to ask all the people there if they want to have it at a dollar, if that is what they want then i will do it, thats fine. if they want it free then by all means free it is. Give the people what they want. Besides the only person that got warned was Alex. So technically speaking i never knew we couldn't do it. im sure with that alibi i could just return the money

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
GGs to everyone I played, I didn't think I'd do as well in this tourney, but I definitely had fun, well worth it! Results?

Yeah, oh so when do you guys leave for Thanksgiving, maybe we could get in a few games before the break..

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
I was talking about the CA fail Felix... and really I don't have any problem with $1 entries its when they start charging $5 or $10. I mean that's a good ol' trip to One Guy's right there. And yes Tyson, I suppose you would have to win to be taking their money haha.

Also I lol at anyone who needs to have money involved to "play at their best". That is NOT what competition is about.

Hope the tourney turned out good. Sounds like it did.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
We had about 25 people show up and we let them vote whether it'd be a $1 or free tournament, almost half the people wanted it free & the other half $1. We just decided to make it free because we didn't want to lose participants who didn't have cash on them. As for set-ups, we only had 3 but things ran pretty smoothly regardless. Overall we were satisfied with the turnout, for being one of the first brawl tourneys we hosted.

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that's not bad. The problem we always had was we'd get great turnout at the first couple of tournaments and then they would start to figure out who the good people were and not want to come.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Haha, yeah that's what my friend and I use to say when we would go to the melee tournaments, we'd be like "Hey it's those guys...great we lost." but we still loved competing regardless of losing.

Let's see the tournament results!!!

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
I thought you guys started going strong again. Come on, fire up this thread!

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Well whatever we do we need to do it and let YALL continue it. I am leaving in January so i won't have any say or be able to help.

Alex, i lol'd at some of those characters and the people that use them.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Well whatever we do we need to do it and let YALL continue it. I am leaving in January so i won't have any say or be able to help.

Alex, i lol'd at some of those characters and the people that use them.
Leaving? Are you doing an internship, I know Felix is..

Haha, I agree with the Snake mains being hispanic too..

Anyone down to play tonight?

Seriously, what has happened to Felix???

felix45

Smash Lord
sorry guys been busy. when I get time I'll post up results.

anyone want to play smash monday/tuesday/wednesday? those are the last 3 days till after finals I got open for smash. I'll probably post results then. anyways back to work.

Top Bottom