• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new lubbock thread!

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Hahaha i see you, IF i could make a appearance i call the top 3 being a Ness,Yoshi and Peach. See your still in it. My secret weapon will break top 3. Promise;)

Yeah just whenever you get the date you want let me know.
1.Il look into maybe coming home that weekend.
2.More importantly il make sure i let all the young thunder-cats know whats going on and makes sure they are there. Heck will probably even bring you a set up.:)

3. So you said your going to try to get some sort of prize for this? What did you have in mind?

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
I'm not sure about the prizes but I might just go and buy a couple of gift cards or just secretly charge people and make a $ prize pot..still some planning to do.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
I think your best bet would be to just secretly charge the people and make a pot.

1. It doesn't cost you anything
2. It will make the prize the most appealing.

I guess my only thing i would wonder about would be how you would go about charging. Because last time when you put " Free" on the flyer then nobody brought there wallets or anything like that.

I guess you could just not mention any fee and when people get there announce the amount. Also it might not hurt on your flyer or whatever to put "Bring your own controller" there was at least 5 people last time that kept asking to borrow one"

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Yeah, I won't include any details on $ and just charge at the door perhaps. And I will make sure people bring their controllers, I don't like when they ask you to borrow one. I still need permission to use the lounge so just waiting... :|

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Yeah, or just when you are ready to start registration call the people over to your computer and collect then, after making an announcement it is going to be X amount of dollars.

Yeah i always hated the controller thing myself as well. Like i don't want to be a **** and be like NO! But i also don't want to get jacked or anything of the sort. I'm sure you wont have any problem getting the lounge again, at least i would not see why it would be a problem

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
I'm hoping at least a good 20 people if everything is set up on time. Turn out isn't something I'm really worried about as long as there's flyers put up mainly around Sneed & Bledsoe we should be good.

So we're going to need lots of set-ups, Tyson, can your friends bring set-ups?

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
I can talk to them and see if they can. I would think i can at least get you one or two.

I agree you should put these around more than just those 2 dorms. It wont take that much effort to put them up at other places and could drastically increase your turn really. The more people that see it the better, and only putting it at those places handicaps you greatly.

Have you decided on more of the details and all of that? entry and everything?

ahighfool

Smash Rookie
How about five dollars each

first takes 60%

second takes 30%

third takes 10%

or however you want to divide it up

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Yeah thats standard ( well normal tourneys i go too charge 10 for singles) but thats completely different this is not a main stream tourney and its hard to get a good turn out as it is.

60/30/10 is right as well.

On a side note, when i get back to Lubbock this summer i am going to be holding Tournaments on a regular bases and do everything i can to get the Lubbock scene existant and booming.

I am assuming all of you will be going back home though in the summer?

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
So far I think I have at least 4 full set-ups confirmed, still gonna need at least 2 more to have lots of friendlies as well..
Got some of the other dorms just yesterday Hulen/Clement, Wall/Gates, Coleman, some in Holden Hall & gotta hit up the CS building too, practically a fountain of gamers!
I am still a little hesitant to charge people because I don't want the privilege to hold tournaments taken away. But if I do, it'll be something like $1, students are conditionally poor.
Tyson, that sounds great I'm probably going to spend the summer here too, we should get Lubbock back on its feet!

ahighfool

Smash Rookie
How about asking the participants when they get there if they would like to make it interesting

also I guess I could bring my set up

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
How about asking the participants when they get there if they would like to make it interesting

also I guess I could bring my set up
Awesome, yeah I saw the lounge and I envision like 5 to 6 TV's along the walls there are like 13 outlets so that won't be much of a problem!

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Nope, never heard of that game :confused:

Honestly, I only play if people ask or want to. So outside of roommates, that is a no.
Well, I haven't played it in a long time since Serg hates it, but I still had people I wanted to play... I wished I could've stayed the whole time at that last tournament I went to. =/ ..I never really liked Brawl.

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
No problem, I like when there is money, makes it funner IMO. =D

If Serg and I go it will be our first REAL brawl tournament.. I mean with double elim and everything. Sounds cool.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Yeah, it is a shame i wont be there.

I agree money does make it funner, more on the line. Brings the best out in people. Competition wise at least.

I do know come summer time me and Alex are going to regularly run tournaments so it should be good =D

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
The people on facebook who have confirmed seem like they will be interested in paying, I will charge $1 per player most likely so as to not upset anyone or have people complain, hopefully it all works out.
BOBA: "If" you guys come, yeah just be sure to bring your money and game faces!

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
Tyson, you're not going? =/

Who would you guys say are the top Lubbock brawl players?

BOBA

Smash Journeyman
No, the tournament will only prove that PLAINVIEW is better..

Just kidding... The trash talk begins. :chuckle:

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
!!!IMPORTANT!!! I am going to take a vote on whether people want a free or $1 tournament, one because I did not specify on the flyers, two I am not really allowed to charge under the dorm's rules and three because I would not want to lose people who do not have $..

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Lubbock's finest have been temporarily replaced by an italian plumber, a furry nemesis, a dinosaur with wings and a possibly a pair of wall latchers..

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
It's only because I didn't mention entry on the flyers because I wasn't allowed to put that on them so it was suggested that top 8 can have a money pot and work from there. But initial entry will most likely be free to have as many players as possible..

Ok, if you need help getting to the venue, call me @ 210-842-7984...name's Alejandro

We are starting now..

Edit 3: So our Brawl Tournament turn-out wasn't that bad, 25-ish players, we had both singles and a team event it all took around 6 hours to finish. Here's the top 15 placers from last saturday.

2/27/10 (Brawl)

1: Daniel (ICs)
2: Kyle (MK, DDD)
3: Jameson (Wolf)
4: Phil Wheat (Snake)
5: Matt (Kirby)
5: Andre (Mario)
7: George (ROB)
7: Alex (Ness, Ganon)
9: Alejandro (Yoshi, Marth)
9: Clutch
9: Chris (Ike)
9: Dillon Cunningham (Toon Link)
13: Riley
13: Preston Slaton
13: John

And I have made a facebook group as well, just search "Lubbock Super Smash Bros", I keep up with players there more often since only a handful of people check this thread. There is a low tier tournament planned for this weekend as well, so there's another chance for you guys to attend.

Our 2nd tournament of the semester at Bledsoe was a low tier low turnout, but still wasn't bad considering it was organized the last minute. Andre's Mario is too good!

Low Tier Singles
1: Andre -Mario
2: Soul Cal (Daniel) -Samus, Random
3: Clutch -Zelda, Random
4: Alejandro -Yoshi, Ganon
5: Alex -Ness, Ganon
5: Derick -?
7: Evan -Zelda
7: Riley -Lucas
9: Chris -Ike
9: Britt -Ditto
9: Kyle -Ike
9: Geese(Ryan) -Mario

Low Tier Doubles
1: Whatever (Andre & Derick) -Mario/?
2: Derp Industries (Kyle & Alex) -Ike/Ness
3: Twenty-One (Alejandro & Joe) -Yoshi/Ike
4: Whoop ***!!! (Dan & Clutch) -Samus/Zelda
5: Sexy Pop! (Evan & Ryan) -Zelda/Mario

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Dang, there's like 26 people on the facebook group, I think people here should all slowly migrate to there instead, this thread is one step closer to extinction. ;)

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
This is at least how this thread will be til Felix gets back next semester

Edit 2:
NEWBT!!! (Necessary Easter Weekend Brawl Tourney)
April 3rd @ 6pm @ the Bledsoe TV Lounge on Tech Campus!!!
We have a facebook group!!! Search "Lubbock Super Smash Bros"!!!!

jra64

Smash Journeyman
Wow, just caught up on all the reading I missed out on =D.

Good to know that there's always someone to keep the Lubbock community going for Smash. Has Tyson already left? Wow I was actually planning on playing him eventually, I didn't even know he was leaving...

Anyways, I just caught up on all my SRK reading so I guess I'll copy paste what I wrote there. Basically, if you want to play Starcraft 2 beta, I have four accounts.

Copied and Pasted =):

Holy God been forever... Lol. Anyways, I got your text Andrew, about Starcraft 2 (my sister uses that phone now btw) and I figured I'd post here =D.

Yeah, I've gotten to play the beta a little bit, I made TON of battle.net accounts to ensure that I'd get a key and we just got FOUR keys yesterday and we aren't going to be able to use them all, so if you want a free Starcraft 2 beta, just let me know =). Also, when beta first came out it was selling on an average of $200.00 with max bids of $400.00. Jesus people are all over this game, seriously. Now keys are going for around $100.00 but I'm just letting you guys know how much people care about this game.

Umm, as far as the MLG, I will check it out after this post. Halted playing Tekken 6 immediately after the first tournament. Oh yeah btw Fabian... Jeremy is definitely going to EVO so he might head up there with you =D. I can't believe you are getting into the scene NOW, lol. I'm just saying it would've been better if we were all playing together.

Hey Andrew, why do you have mixed feelings on Starcraft 2? I love how units actually do what you want them to do, control is so much easier, and there is still quite a bit of micro involved. Still tons of APM to be tossed around and of course, tons of strategy. I just started playing my brother a lot and the game is really fun. I can't really even think of anything I dislike about it. The only thing is that I really shouldn't be playing games at all, I should be taking care of business in real life, which I haven't been doing, lol. How did you get to play the beta? Like I mentioned above, I have a total of four beta accounts if you want one to play on. Just leave me a message here, I'll start checking these boards again.

Peace.

-jra64

EDIT: WTF, now MLG picks up Tekken?!

Regular Season Prizes
1st - $2,500
2nd - $1,500
3rd - $1,000
4th - $700
5th - $500
6th - $350
7th - $250
8th - $200

National Championship Prizes
1st - $12,500
2nd - $7,500
3rd - $5,000
4th - $3,500
5th - $2,500
6th - $1,750
7th - $1,250
8th - $1,000

What is regular season and national championship? I can at least make top 3 at a tournament, which is $1,000.

Hmm... Even top 8 isn't bad money at all...

$1,000 for 8th at a national tourney? Wow I remember when people thought MLG was a scam, which is why they dropped Tekken in the first place.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Wow, just caught up on all the reading I missed out on =D.

Good to know that there's always someone to keep the Lubbock community going for Smash. Has Tyson already left? Wow I was actually planning on playing him eventually, I didn't even know he was leaving...

I think he'll be back this summer, do you still live in Lubbock?

Top Bottom