• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Mario Match-Up Index

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I /think/ I might be able to write up Kirby. Also, one should add "Ban Green Greens" to the DDD guide. Seriously, it's a bad choice.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Word. When is Green Greens ever legal, anyway? Oh that's right, at MSC events. Midwest should stop being so jank with stages. >.<

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
MLG has GG's on it and it was the stage list that AZ was holding at Delta Upsilon. Might as well play it and get used to it if you're gonna be attempting MLG. I'm fine with Green Greens.

Anonymous24

Smash Apprentice
Link is underrated and hyped in a negative fashion, but that doesn't stop him from being bad character.

Link's main problem is his weaknesses all chain together to make one big weakness. He has spacing, KO power, and damage dealing capabilities, but he's easily juggled, has no proper GTFO moves outside of jab, and is easily gimped. The majority of characters can easily blitz him by throwing out random moves after another because Link can't do anything about it.

The only great thing about Link is his spacing ability. Everything else is either average or poor.
I agree on that part. Link is a VERY underrated character due to how much there is to master about and that hes hard to master. However I dont find him to be a bad character. If used in the right way and take account of his weaknesses, Link is very formidable especially the variety of techniques at his disposal such as glide toss, jab canceling, DACUS, Dair, his projectiles, D air edgeguarding, Gale-guarding, etc etc. The main advantage is more than just spacing its range. The advantage with Mario is that hes a very well balanced character and doesnt really have an weaknesses to spare which is great character for Pro and Beginner alike with balanced range (and unique variety) of attacks.

SKidd

Smash Master
Link + camping = win
Approaching Link is hard, too many projectiles to worry about D:

Anonymous24

Smash Apprentice
fludd beats everything he throws at us...lol
If his projectiles are used correctly then they have much better advantage then the FLUDD. Plus honestly would you use the FLUDD at every chance you have against a Link main. However Mario has a overall advantage statistically compared to Link.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
If his projectiles are used correctly then they have much better advantage then the FLUDD. Plus honestly would you use the FLUDD at every chance you have against a Link main. However Mario has a overall advantage statistically compared to Link.
i will if he is off the ledge. Once link goes of the ledge, he will meet a fireball>F-air or fireball>FLUDD>Going crazy with the cape and the only two options out of many ^_^

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
A combination of FLUDD, Fireballs, and Powershielding pretty much stops Link's camping ability rather coldly. Z-air is all he got that works nicely.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
i will if he is off the ledge. Once link goes of the ledge, he will meet a fireball>F-air or fireball>FLUDD>Going crazy with the cape and the only two options out of many ^_^
A good Link will almost never put himself (or herself) in a position for that to work, however. Consider the fact that Link mains (good ones) know Links disadvantages as well as anyone and arguably (with the exception of maybe Ganon mains) have to work the hardest and know **** near every matchup to stand even close to a chance.

Gimping (a good) Link isn't as easy as one would think. Still, Bair, Nair, a smart Cape, Fireball and (maybe) FLUDD (admittedly, I'm not that great with FLUDD) gives us a lot of tools.

A good Link will make it really hard to get inside. Which is where we can make the most of our opportunities. Even then, Link has a decent boxing/jab game against us.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
A good Link will almost never put himself (or herself) in a position for that to work, however. Consider the fact that Link mains (good ones) know Links disadvantages as well as anyone and arguably (with the exception of maybe Ganon mains) have to work the hardest and know **** near every matchup to stand even close to a chance.

Gimping (a good) Link isn't as easy as one would think. Still, Bair, Nair, a smart Cape, Fireball and (maybe) FLUDD (admittedly, I'm not that great with FLUDD) gives us a lot of tools.

A good Link will make it really hard to get inside. Which is where we can make the most of our opportunities. Even then, Link has a decent boxing/jab game against us.
very well put but my point is off the ledge is still horrible for link. if a link is knocked far away from the ledge and manages to: out do the FLUDD, dodge the multiple fireballs, staying out of cape distance, find a way around the B-airs/F-air/U-airs, and get passed us when we try to ledge hog, then that link deserves to get back to the stage. That plus the fact that everyone makes mistakes here and there could equal in a stock taken.

every good mario knows to keeps his opponent from knowing his next move. The fireballs and the cape should help you get inside but when your there, you have to make what you do while your inside count. Thats just my opinion though so dont bash me for it

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'd like to say that you shouldn't try to get greedy at all when you're juggling Link (like with U-tilt) otherwise you may take a d-air to the face.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I was battling a Link one time he threw a BoomarangE i Dodged then he charged F smash and the Boomarange sucked me into his smash attack

embarrising

I learned from my mistakes

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
I was battling a Link one time he threw a BoomarangE i Dodged then he charged F smash and the Boomarange sucked me into his smash attack

embarrising

I learned from my mistakes

i was playing a link on wifi and he threw his boomerang and i dodged it. I immediately D-smashed and since i was on the edge of the stage, the boomerang pushed me off the board and i caped his up-B then F-aired him to make it epic for the last stock lol.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
A few weeks ago I got Fair'd by a Mario returning to the stage on YI so I tech'd the hit on the wall, walljumped and Fair'd him. (Recovered, too! I had my double jump!)

That was a **** sexy spike. THIS WAS ALSO WIFI I DON'T KNOW HOW I MANAGED TO PULL OFF THE TECH.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Olimar!!!

When Olimar is Far from the Stage and is trying to recover
Edgegaurd

He will shoot his Pikmin out and hit you but he will still fall to his death....

And you can still recover....

For those Who didn't Know.......

SKidd

Smash Master
bamp

I'll stop bumping if this gains no progress, but i wanna see this complete.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
What the ****!!

50:50 Mario vs Diddy kong!!!....

How long has this been?

I've never....

Guess we Mario figured a way out of his mindgames

Top Bottom