• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Match-up Chart

D

Deleted member

both characters wreak each other but it is easier for Falcon to hit / not get hit by Yoshi

if Falcon chooses to play like a ***** its even harder for Yoshi

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I would like to argue against 3 of ness's matchups in this chart, specifically against luigi, samus, and link. How is it that ness has an advantage in these three?

At the very LEAST an even matchup for those 3. Link runs in circles around ness and can completely outcamp him with projectiles and bigger attack hitboxes. Not only that, but link's recovery is slightly better than ness's and link can edgeguard ness easier than ness can edgeguard link.

I don't even see how it's possible for ness to have an advantage on samus. Her beastly Dair and Bair alone are good enough to beat the crap out of ness, but her fsmash also negates all DJC approaches close to the ground. The only thing ness can do is do a few DJC'd uairs and then just hope to keep hitting samus enough times to knock her off the edge.

As for ness vs Luigi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqfYRJNxgz0

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I would like to argue against 3 of ness's matchups in this chart, specifically against luigi, samus, and link. How is it that ness has an advantage in these three?

At the very LEAST an even matchup for those 3. Link runs in circles around ness and can completely outcamp him with projectiles and bigger attack hitboxes. Not only that, but link's recovery is slightly better than ness's and link can edgeguard ness easier than ness can edgeguard link.

I don't even see how it's possible for ness to have an advantage on samus. Her beastly Dair and Bair alone are good enough to beat the crap out of ness, but her fsmash also negates all DJC approaches close to the ground. The only thing ness can do is do a few DJC'd uairs and then just hope to keep hitting samus enough times to knock her off the edge.

As for ness vs Luigi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqfYRJNxgz0
Kinda agree with most of your post, although one match doesnt mean anything. Imo those are close matchups where it's all about the player and stage is important too. For example Link > Ness on Hyrule but i think its the opposite on dreamland.

DMoogle

A$
Not only that, but link's recovery is slightly better than ness's and link can edgeguard ness easier than ness can edgeguard link.
I strongly disagree with this. Link is a total cinch for Ness to edgeguard, so much that Ness is probably Link's worst edgeguarding nightmare. PK thunder if Link is recovering high, or just wait and grab/yo-yo/dash-attack when he lands, n-air (for slightly higher percents) or d-air for when Link is recovering at mid/low height.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I would agree that in general, when the entire cast is considered, Link's recovery is better than Ness's, but in terms of this match-up, where only each other are considered, Ness will survive more often than Link.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Some Agreement:

Kirby = Jigglypuff to Kirby > Jigglypuff
Ness > Link to Ness = Link

Debating:

Ness > Luigi to Ness = Luigi
Ness > Samus to Ness = Samus

DMoogle

A$
I don't think Luigi has an advantage on Samus at all. I think I play a very good Luigi, but good Samus players are really really hard to approach with Luigi, and Samus is probably the hardest character to combo for him.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I would say Kirby > Puff. Kirby has too much priority. When side by side, Kirby wins in all situations... whether it is in the air or on the ground. Yes, Kirby is dead easy to combo for puff, but it doesn't even out the matchup.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
lol my impression from the japanese metagame is that one of them just needs to get above the other

Frogles

Smash Ace

yah link can outcamp ness but he isn't a speed demon like fox or falcon. he's gonna get caught and when he does he's ****ed. one hit will turn into big damage or even a ko. ness completely ***** links recovery. all he really needs is pk thunder and grab. I GUESS link has advantage on hyrule if he runs away all day and ness chases him all day. ness takes dreamland easy. even at the very least for NESS.

dair and bair aren't good enough to beat a character by themesleves and fsmash isn't quick enough to spam him out of djcs. samus just sucks and is all defense. ness can actually get something going off of a hit, she cant. she doesn't really have a good way of getting him off the stage whereas ness doesn't have a problem getting her offstage. he pretty much ***** every recovery that isnt pika/kirby/jiggs so it goes without saying that he won't have a problem edgeguarding samus. ness has advantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V69OytR77JY

you might as well have posted something like that because one match doesn't mean ****. i thoght you were gonna 3-5 stock going in lol.

and i wanna bring up kirby vs ness. ness can't do ANYTHING in this match up because of kirbys priority and range. this matchup is just as bad as pika vs ness if not worse. utilt pretty much ***** ness by itself.

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
I would say Kirby > Puff. Kirby has too much priority. When side by side, Kirby wins in all situations... whether it is in the air or on the ground. Yes, Kirby is dead easy to combo for puff, but it doesn't even out the matchup.
ONce again I support this.

~ImNotPro

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Hopefully this turns out better than the last chart. I tried suggesting some low tier matchups, with some even results, and was greeted with flaming and 'noob' remarks. According to most of the melee community, there are only 10 playable characters in melee. Everyone else sucks. (you get my point).

If the chart starts going well, I'll contribute as well, as not many people know the low tier matchups very well, so I can help out in those places. *cough* GaW = Falcon *cough*

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Well I'm not a total jerk, so of course I'll let your opinion be heard. =)

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Thanks.

Anyway, back to this game.

Some Agreement:

Debating:

I would say Kirby > Jigglypuff, and I don't know about Ness'.

D

Deleted member

IIRC links dair and ness utilt have the same priority and both hit each other. Also, Ness down+b is usless against the bomb.
link's dair will never beat ness's uptilt unless the up-tilt is ENDING or if you guys start up the respective moves at the same time then it will trade

link-s dair is pretty good as an approach, but you don't always want to aim directly for your opponent since some people have high priority tilts, smash attacks

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Agreement:

Some Agreement:

Debating:

Hopefully this won't cause a shift in the ranks. After these (and perhaps more), would anyone want to go through the mayhem that is Hyrule and Dreamland specific charts?

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Hopefully this won't cause a shift in the ranks. After these (and perhaps more), would anyone want to go through the mayhem that is Hyrule and Dreamland specific charts?
Why would it be a problem if it causes a shift in the ranks? Also, isn't this already supposed to take into account all stages?

dch111

Smash Journeyman
It does I assume, but it'd still be interesting to do each stage...unless we have more important matters to attend to at the moment.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Why would it be a problem if it causes a shift in the ranks? Also, isn't this already supposed to take into account all stages?
It's only because that the Tier List is almost entirely based on this chart. Also, this chart does take into account of all stages, but not individually. Fox might not be quite as uberly good in a chart based on Dreamland only, etc.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
What exactly is the melee tier list based on? The most I know is it comes from the SBR but what is the system they use, I don't know

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Yeah, it's votes by the backroom, but SSB64 doesn't have one. We attempted to get one, but that didn't work out so well.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
The Melee/Brawl tier system is ridiculous anyway. They base lists off of things that are totally vague and unquantifiable. They say things like "character X has a lot of potential" or "character y has been doing well in tournaments." While this may be true, this should already be reflected in matchup charts, or else your matchup charts are wrong.

A tier list should just be based numerically on a matchup chart like how this one is done. It is simpler and it's how every other fighting game community does tier lists.

D

Deleted member

it doesn't matter as much for 64 since its more balanced, the top tier characters are set in stone, and the non top tiers are all fairly similar in **** levels (except samus)

Top Bottom