• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Official Kirby Matchup Rankings AND GUIDE Thread! :: OMGOMGOMG! We're done!

IC3R

Smash Lord
Asidioh and Gonzo, get on aim now.
OMG and get that match recorded ASAP!!!!

fromundaman said:
Can we please just drop the Kirby v Ganon matchup? Obviously very few people know what they are talking about, and this is causing a flame war on a matchup that will rarely ever occur.
I agree. We really can't prove much without video analysis, which we are seriously lacking. Perhaps we should just move on to say...Pokemon Trainer?

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
Heya Asdioh, it been too long ole chap :laugh:

But geez isn't this a lovely match-up? An old man and a puffball lol.

I play my friend regularly offline who mains Kirby and I get him most of the time. See the thing I do (and possibly other Ganons do) is bait. Will will do something to make you think we meant it. You'll come in and then we'll smash. I like Kirby because it's a challenge but I don't have to worry with my baiting trick for Kirby's don't have a projectile. Still though, Kirby is a tough opponent. So I'll still give the match-up 60-40 Kirby.

Kirby has one absolute thing over Ganondorf. If Kirby copies Ganon he looks amazing as the almighty TurkeyDorf (copy Ganny and you'll see what I mean) :)

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
lolz yeah he three stocked me but as we played i got use to the lag and then he left, and asdioh was dead right lol wifi is a completely different world than offline, asdioh enjoy ur wifi matches i'll stay offline

IC3R

Smash Lord
solhgouiasjfdovnaroiuhvaiougbgbarubhgahr
fvujaruiovhaoriuvhjna
rvho]irhjvnoijf
af
jvijapijr
aerj
pijgipojhripj
paoijrpigjapeirjgpaejr
ZOMG A ALEIN!!!!!

IC3R

Smash Lord
Heya Asdioh, it been too long ole chap :laugh:

But geez isn't this a lovely match-up? An old man and a puffball lol.

I play my friend regularly offline who mains Kirby and I get him most of the time. See the thing I do (and possibly other Ganons do) is bait. Will will do something to make you think we meant it. You'll come in and then we'll smash. I like Kirby because it's a challenge but I don't have to worry with my baiting trick for Kirby's don't have a projectile. Still though, Kirby is a tough opponent. So I'll still give the match-up 60-40 Kirby.
This is more along the lines of what we needed. Ganon has some quick-ish attacks, but he needs to play Bait-and-Punish with Kirby, for the most part.

Kirby has one absolute thing over Ganondorf. If Kirby copies Ganon he looks amazing as the almighty TurkeyDorf (copy Ganny and you'll see what I mean) :)
lolwut?

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Freakin wifi and its fail lag! We need good quality videos. Lag kills and lag combos wont teach us anything. Might as well watch cpu kirbys vs cpu ganons =/

and turkeydorf is because of ganon's hair, which kinda resembles a turkey's tail which is like the back of kirby's body when he copies ganon. I def agree, looks turkey-like.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
its wifi dude,

my dog has a good a chance at beating someone as i do on wifi, hell my brother plays better than me on wifi and he doesnt even play kirby, he plays lucas lol

all i have to say is let me meet any ganon in person and i'll MM all the money in my wallet, which is usually a sizable amount at tourney

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Just 3 stocked Gonzo. Replay to prove it.
Atta boy, Kosk. Atta boy.

Look, this whole gang bang of a match-up discussion is depressing. TL;DR, and too many of the Kirby's here just don't know what they're saying...I mean...even REMOTELY. The person who made an invitation post on the Ganon boards wasn't aware we already finished this discussion on the Ganon boards a week ago. It ended in a discussion about whether it was 60-40 kirby or 50-50...not about whether or not Kirby can 3 stock Ganon as many of you are pompously proclaiming. Where were you a week ago during our discussion?

I'm not trying to enflame this argument, so sorry if that's how it comes across. It's just so insane people still use variations of the "It's Ganon..." argument in discussions. Wifi or not, Kosk just showed some haters, and if you still need more evidence, I'll take on any Kirby on this board.

But for real, this match-up is NOT Ganonrape. I'll give you 60-40 at best, but 50-50 is totally in the realm of possibility IMO. It's actually one of Ganon's better match-ups.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Why is it one of ganon's better match ups? (like seriously asking)

For the most part, all the ganons have been saying "chain choking ***** kirby" "uair ***** kirby's aerials" "dtilt ***** kirby on the ground." Those are all moves and stuff but it doesnt tell us how the match up is played out or anything. It doesnt give any valuable information for how to play against a ganon. The most that can be derived from this is, you want to avoid getting choked, dunno how, but just do it. If you're planning on using an aerial, be sure ganon isnt about to uair (and that thing is pretty fast so i dunno how you gonna do that either) and dont get hit by a dtilt.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Atta boy, Kosk. Atta boy.

Look, this whole gang bang of a match-up discussion is depressing. TL;DR, and too many of the Kirby's here just don't know what they're saying...I mean...even REMOTELY. The person who made an invitation post on the Ganon boards wasn't aware we already finished this discussion on the Ganon boards a week ago. It ended in a discussion about whether it was 60-40 kirby or 50-50...not about whether or not Kirby can 3 stock Ganon as many of you are pompously proclaiming. Where were you a week ago during our discussion?

I'm not trying to enflame this argument, so sorry if that's how it comes across. It's just so insane people still use variations of the "It's Ganon..." argument in discussions. Wifi or not, Kosk just showed some haters, and if you still need more evidence, I'll take on any Kirby on this board.

But for real, this match-up is NOT Ganonrape. I'll give you 60-40 at best, but 50-50 is totally in the realm of possibility IMO. It's actually one of Ganon's better match-ups.
You guys finished that match-up? The Match-up thread should be updated then...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Why is it one of ganon's better match ups? (like seriously asking)
Kirby can't exactly camp. Seriously.

I mean his camping doesn't pose any real direct threat, unlike someone like Falco whos lasers can be hard to avoid and will eventually rack on significant damage.

Meaning that Ganon can afford to play extremely lame in this matchup. Nothing is really forcing him to approach.

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
Lol. See there's names for all of Ganny's costumes. (I personally like my invention of SmurfyDorf (Blue Costume)

Well when Kirby copies Ganon he takes ofcourse the form of Ganon. Well, to me, looking at how Kirby looks with Ganon's silly hair style reminds me of a little turkey. That is why I give Kirby the name TurkeyDorf when/if a Kirby ever copies Ganondorf.

I know....I have too much time and creative thinking going for me :laugh:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Since when do kirby's camp?!
Yeah, exactly what I was kinda getting at. And his approach sucks.

Well, I mean if you're trying to go agressive on him, his shieldcamping and B-air camping is really lame, but he can't force Ganon to be agressive most of the time. Or anyone for that matter. =/

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace

Well, I mean if you're trying to go agressive on him, his shieldcamping and B-air camping is really lame, but he can't force Ganon to be agressive most of the time. Or anyone for that matter. =/
That's what I mean. Ganon is an excellent Bait-And-Punish Guy. But, maybe this matchup- we'd need a timer or else both opponents will be sitting at opposite sides lol

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman

Ganon plays best camping then, just punishing his opponents. But i mean ganon has nothing to force kirby to approach either. I guess theres the whole "its ganon" thing that too many people have goin on. I mean seriously if someone is in a tournament, using ganon, they mean seriously bitniz. They know that character well, not saying no nubs can enter using ganon, but im just saying that hopefully when people enter tourneys, they know what they're doing with their chars. But yea like i was saying, ganon has nothing to force kirby to approach, except maybe being more patient.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Most kirby's spend the majority of their time in the air, so this dtilt **** wont really work. And i seriously dont see the Uair ****** kirby in the air. Ganon isnt very maneuverable. Just jump forward and Uair? Or do ganon's just wait in place? How about instead of saying that ___ ***** ___ because of ___ we get some video proof to see it.
This is disturbing. Is this the truth of the Kirby board's understanding of how Ganon plays let alone how he plays against Kirby? I'm honestly just not even sure where to start on explaining how this match-up works if the post above is the least-common-denominator of the Kirby board's knowledge of the Ganon match-up. Please, and this is just the basic rule of thumb in contributing to any discussion, least of all match-up discussions: DON'T contribute if you CAN'T contribute. It complicates everything.

Ganon plays best camping then, just punishing his opponents. But i mean ganon has nothing to force kirby to approach either. I guess theres the whole "its ganon" thing that too many people have goin on. I mean seriously if someone is in a tournament, using ganon, they mean seriously bitniz. They know that character well, not saying no nubs can enter using ganon, but im just saying that hopefully when people enter tourneys, they know what they're doing with their chars. But yea like i was saying, ganon has nothing to force kirby to approach, except maybe being more patient.
Make me approach. Cutter Camping?

I'll gladly approach Kirby and do so knowing that I have UAir and DTilt to out range whatever you come with. It ALL COMES DOWN TO SPACING. A good Ganon's not going to allow you to grab him easily. He's also not going to allow you to DAir gimp him over the ledge. I'm a tournament Ganon main, and I LIVE on the ledge. Those are usually what I'm supposed to fear playing Kirby, am I right? Grab combos and gimps, correct? Like I said...it all comes down to spacing, and I'm sure that played a large roll in why Kosk 3 stocked Gonzo, not because of WiFi johns.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Lol.

*Adds Ganondorf to the list of characters to never do a matchup thread with*

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
its wifi dude,

my dog has as good a chance at beating someone as i do on wifi, hell my brother plays better than me on wifi and he doesnt even play kirby, he plays lucas lol

all i have to say is let me meet any ganon in person and i'll MM all the money in my wallet, which is usually a sizable amount at tourney
EDIT: and win

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Yeah, I read that the first time you posted it.

Do you have something constructive to add, orrrrr......because as far as I can tell, this match-up discussion hasn't even begun yet

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Lol.

*Adds Ganondorf to the list of characters to never do a matchup thread with*
Wow, first Ike and now Ganondorf.

I'm won't say that Kirby destorys Ganondorf and make the match up 90-10 Kirby, I'll say at least 60-40 Kirby because Kirby handles big characters very well when he takes an offensive approach, maybe not Donkey Kong very much because his speed and how fast his strong attacks come, but just about every big character besides Donkey Kong which should be 50-50.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
And Gonzo, don't forget that you're not very practiced on wifi :p so don't get too cocky,
Star Fox
Just 3 stocked Gonzo. Replay to prove it.
owned
TurkeyDorf
Quoted for truth

Told you kosk would **** most of u
Not to be arrogant, but I can consistently beat Gonzo on wifi, because he sucks on wifi. In fact, I felt guilty, because I know he's better than that.

And yeah, as someone else said, Gonzo != most of us.

I wish we could get Ron into this discussion...or maybe Dabuz. Two of the best Kirbys I've played on wifi.

*waits for someone to summon them*

Do you have something constructive to add, orrrrr......because as far as I can tell, this match-up discussion hasn't even begun yet
T_T what should we do to start, then? Have you read my posts? I've tried to remain reasonable and unbiased...

I noticed that Ganondorf discussed Kirby a week or so ago, but I can't remember if many Kirbys contributed or not.
I think I'm getting it mixed up with the Diddy matchup discussion, which I just recently looked at...

Kosk, will you be available to play on wifi next weekend? I will have to practice a bit when I get home next Friday, since I've been playing Melee all this time, but I'll gladly play some matches with you.

And upload those matches soon ^_^

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
T_T what should we do to start, then? Have you read my posts? I've tried to remain reasonable and unbiased...

I noticed that Ganondorf discussed Kirby a week or so ago, but I can't remember if many Kirbys contributed or not.
I think I'm getting it mixed up with the Diddy matchup discussion, which I just recently looked at...

Kosk, will you be available to play on wifi next weekend? I will have to practice a bit when I get home next Friday, since I've been playing Melee all this time, but I'll gladly play some matches with you.

And upload those matches soon ^_^
You and I are pretty much the only two I feel, and probably you moreso than I...

Me and MK26 are pretty much the only Kirbies that went in that discussion though.

Since when do kirby's camp?!
Did you even read the post? Why do you keep posting such ******** stuff?

Also, my friend finally looked at the Ganon version of the matchup thread (the one with more info and considerably less flaming) and now our matches suddenly became about even... Stop being so well informed Ganon mains!

Any chance we can see at least one of those matches though? Again, seeing any Kosk match is well worth it.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Wow, first Ike and now Ganondorf.

I'm won't say that Kirby destorys Ganondorf and make the match up 90-10 Kirby, I'll say at least 60-40 Kirby because Kirby handles big characters very well when he takes an offensive approach, maybe not Donkey Kong very much because his speed and how fast his strong attacks come, but just about every big character besides Donkey Kong which should be 50-50.

Peach and Yoshi are on that list too. :colorful:

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ok, well , shall help this matchup thread by saying that i have fought a really good ganon before(zeonstar, hes ridiculous with ganon) and ill say this match up 60-40 kirby, because while kirby does have great grab combos and such on him kirby will really alot on bair and if a ganon plays smart punish/dair spam style your ground game, included your fsmash will be gone so you have to really on air,

because ganons b moves have great priority that wreck kirby completely on ground, but now, so next because you will rely on aerials which while kirby should be able to rack damage on ganon quickly with, kirby won't kill ganon for a while if not gimped/ kirbycided,

but ganons will kill kirby at 100% easily and if they are smart with, timing, spacing, and punishing they will often see air approaches(or ground) very easily and thunderstomp them, which ganon will easily kill kirby with, or upair them(shorthopped and started kinda early of course)

so ganon can't do much to kirby while in air but the thing is as kirby, you have two options, go full pressure and try to barrage them with air assualts till you can sheild poke them or be really defensive and try to punish(which i prefer because that somewhat limits ganons punish style) and you can also spam up-b which is annoying to ganons

but the mains time like i said should be trouble in this match is killing because ganons can kill you at early 60s and most time youll be dead by 100 while you won't kill good ganons untils like ridiculous percents with gooddi and use of fastfalled upairs or timed fairs unless you get early wop, and ganon will just often at that point knowing that info try to counter you making it hard to kill him while if he gets a few good hits your done

so in a short version: kirby can really rack up damage on ganon and he can't do much until you want to kill him which then ganon will be a pain in the butt and most times you will die going for kill if not really smart, so matchup is 60-40 imo in kirbies advantage

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Also, my friend finally looked at the Ganon version of the matchup thread (the one with more info and considerably less flaming) and now our matches suddenly became about even... Stop being so well informed Ganon mains!

Any chance we can see at least one of those matches though? Again, seeing any Kosk match is well worth it.
lol, does that mean I (and now you) am one of the few that went into the Ganon matchup discussion and actually read what they wrote? That's why I know what this whole "chainchoking" business is about.

I've never really played a great Ganon though...everytime I get matched up against him, I just see one big, moving target. And that needs to change :p

edit: good post Dabuz.
After reading all your green, and looking at my own post, the colors are funky @_@

Top Bottom