• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Official Mewtwo Thread

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
I'm definatly want Mew2 in, but I think he would need a definite tune-up as far as his attacks go. his over B, his dash, and his down-smash to name a few. I think the only reason I say his don smash is that it would serve better to have a radial attack. Perhaps some kind of "power-up" stance. By that I mean like at the end of Gannondorf's taunt. Also, I'd like to see his side B turned into some kind of knock-back attack similar to mario's fludd. I think that some of Mew2's attacks should be impossible to tell one from another until the effect takes place. He IS psychic after all, he doesn't need to move to attack. And I think if they could incorporate it somehow, it would be a great place to take his move pool.

I think that some of Mew2's attacks should be impossible to tell one from another until the effect takes place. He IS psychic after all, he doesn't need to move to attack. And I think if they could incorporate it somehow, it would be a great place to take his move pool.
My roommate says that Mewtwo's attacks are already hard to predict when I use him, so I think he may already have that going for him.

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
Ya, but I'm sure he mean's the way you play him. What I mean is that many of the animations should be similar if not exactly the same.

:034:

Smash Hero
HOW TO IMPROVE ON MEWTWO

Improving on Mewtwo will be a hard task for Sakurai. How can we help? Well, let's see.. We can't! But I'm typing this out for your and mine enjoyment anyway! Jolly good.

Let's take a look at Mewtwo's Pro's and Con's first.

Pros

* Superbly long and safe recovery
* Throws that can combo and kill
* Powerful projectile
* Long wavedash
* Fast tilts with combo capacity
* Can edge-guard faraway opponents by jumping off the ledge because its long recovery ensures a safe return
* Airdodge turns Mewtwo invisible, making it impossible to tell which direction it is going in
* Can moonwalk
* Has a meteor smash

Cons

* Very big target
* Easily KO'ed due to its light weight and floatiness
* Exceedingly poor approach, due to lack of fast defensive options
* Poor spot dodge
* Forward throw does little damage and has minimal knockback
* Has a very slow dash
* Down smash is the only down smash to only hit on one side

tl;dr version: Good combo tilts, good throws, moonwalking, mindgame-airdodge and up+B, good recovery. Also big, lightweight and floaty, no defense or good range, bad spot dodge, slow speed overall. Not to mention the specials are, well, crap.

How can we fix this?

First of all, add weight, and lots of it. Make him heavyweight if possible (he's slow anyway!). Up his speed overall is a must. Spot dodge should be made better, why not the dissappearing thing there too? Super Armor during various attacks and more range would be a good, and a faster projectile would be nice.

Now, how can we change the specials to accomodate this?

Neutral Special: Shadow Ball

Keep this mostly the same, but faster. Perhaps a wider range of movement and more power. It'd be cool if the backlash from firing could deal damage too. Make it move faster up and down so it's harder to avoid.

Side Special: Confusion

Make it come out virtually instantly and give it at least twice the range. Cut down on the lag, and we might be unto a good approach move? Right now Confusion (or was it Disable) is just too... Crap. But, we can also do..

Side Special: Psycho Cut

A popular choice, it sends out a beam of psychic power, ravisihing the opponent. It'd have to be fast and go far so it could work as an approach move. Powerful isn't really necessary and I don't find charging it necessary either.

Down Special: Disable

Or was THIS confusion? Well, whatever. Make it so that Mewtwo doesn't have to make eye contact and we're good. To balance it out, the opponent can break out easier.. I'm not too fond of this move either, though. Maybe this is better:

Down Special: Trick Room

Trick Room looks like a purple globe around Mewtwo. It lasts for a small while, depends on whether you charge it or not. But what does it do? Well, it changes the speed stat of your opponent. You move faster because you're slower during Trick Room. If a speedy character like Fox gets trapped in the Room, he slows down dramatically. It's your chance to get him. But a slow character like Bowser can take advantage, since he's suddenly fast now. Trick Room can last from 1 to 5-6 seconds. Maybe longer? I dunno, I don't design this game.

So, we improved on the specials.. What about the normal moves?

Neutral A

It's a combo hitter, much like Fox's kicking, only MUCH less effective. I've always noticed how one-shot Neutral A's are far more handier, and why not for Mewtwo? Think of something similiar like Zelda, only dark.

Otherwise, it could work more like a vortex, sucking in the opponent with multiple hits.

Smash Attacks

Here's where Mewtwo is lacking specifically. The forward smash has sucky range and not enough power and speed to make up for it. Either speed it up and give it more power or change it all together. You can also change this to Psycho Cut, using his arms to 'cut' through the air. Or even Safeguard, make a barrier to reflect the opponent. Just some ideas.

Up Smash... I don't think I've seen an up smash this bad. Either make it so that he can actually hit with all the moves and add some speed, or change it altogether.

Down Smash actually isn't too bad. It's good to catch people trying to sweetspot and it's power is pretty good. It's the only downsmash that doesn't hit both sides, but that's also good.. It's different. I don't think this is a bad move, just improve on it generally.

Aerials

The aerials work very well, actually! Back air, up air, forward air are good friends. I've heard neutral air working pretty good as well. Change the down air, make it more powerful and faster above all. Otherwise, I see no problem.

Final Smash?

There have been a couple ideas for a Final Smash. Most seem to be an aura damaging around him. Check the first post for more ideas. My personal idea is the Psywave. But yeah, it could be anything, really.

Thank you for reading! I think everybody here is hoping Mewtwo will get some extreme buffs in Brawl, because he really deserves them.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Those are good ideas but the only problem is the Psywave. In the manga it's cool but in the games which Sakurai is mostly leaning to(ex:pokemon Trainer being a character), Psywave is a weak move. His FS will most likely be Psychic or one of the shadow moves on the Gamecube Pokemon games.

yay like the ideas but phywave for the fs? i would say that would be his side b. the fs i would say would be phy blast or phykick
The idea is from the manga, where it looks like a really kick-*** move. The picture is found a few pages back, someone might find it for you.

EDIT: Here we go:

I have thought of a possible Final Smash.

In the Pokémon Special manga...

I think you get the idea. Mewtwo would create his vortex seen in the manga to suck up his enemies and do some massive damage. However, this is not a killing move. You have to kill your opponents yourself, so this move should only be used when your opponents are at low percentages.
Can we add that to the first page?

Psychic is my only other preference.

Smash Hero
^ Sure. You can add it. Edit: If you were the topic creator that is. :D;;

The thing is, the Psywave is a bad move in the games yes, but how much does Sakurai care about canonity? For an instance, Rest pretty much always having a OHKO? What's up with that?

Though any form of vortex working like the Psywave from the manga could work. They could even just call it Psychic and nobody would notice.

The thing is, the Psywave is a bad move in the games yes, but how much does Sakurai care about canonity? For an instance, Rest pretty much always having a OHKO? What's up with that?
Come to think of it, is there a move now that Jigglypuff can learn that behaves more like Rest does in Super Smash Bros?

o thats y everyone wants phywave in the fs its an asome comic but my vote for the fs is still phyblast
Real moves please. Whatever you have in mind can just be called Psychic anyway. It's a fairly generic-looking attack.

Iboid

Smash Apprentice
Put me down. The reign of mewtwo shall soon begin!

Incidentally...

I really hope that's not Volt Tackle.

I'd love to see Mewtwo back... he's a great character. Lucario doesn't deserve to replace him... If Lucario wants in, he can be his OWN character, not a replacement. He doesn't have any Physic abilities!

I really hope he makes it back. (also, can I be added?)

sonic smash down

Smash Lord
just check the front page on the sprite move sheet thats what im talkin about. i guess you could call it phykick?? shadow pulse is what i meant though that was my mistake

and yeah all you really have to do is pm the commander. it would make it easier on him instead of havin to look though the whole thread to find a person that wants to get in

XACE-K

Smash Master
I still say his FS should be either Psychic or one of the shadow moves from Pokemon XD:Gale of Darkness (that's the name,right?).

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I really do hope Mewtwo comes back, and I'd be very upset if he got replaced by anyone - Lucario or not.
(I have a mysterious distaste for Lucario which I cannot fathom, of course, that's not valid reason for anything but whatever, not that I'm against his inclusion or anything)
I disagree with him becoming a heavy weight though, since he's always levitating I still imagine him being floaty and there's this annoying expectation that all villains will be heavyweights which is something I'd like to avoid...
I think there should be less weight added as you say (though of course, some more would be nice) and instead buff him up in the speed department.

Smash Hero
(I have a mysterious distaste for Lucario which I cannot fathom, of course, that's not valid reason for anything but whatever, not that I'm against his inclusion or anything).
It's not wrong to hate Lucario.

I disagree with him becoming a heavy weight though, since he's always levitating I still imagine him being floaty and there's this annoying expectation that all villains will be heavyweights which is something I'd like to avoid...
I think there should be less weight added as you say (though of course, some more would be nice) and instead buff him up in the speed department.
The thing is, Mewtwo should just be a bit heavier, at least more than average. He's a heavyweight in the games, after all. But just more weight would be good. Seriously, the way he's light in Melee is just really unforgivable.

EDIT: Also, do I know you? That sig is awfully familiar..

Reyairia

Smash Champion
It's not wrong to hate Lucario.
I don't hate him, I just don't get what's so special about him, and as I said I can't exactly put my finger on what it is I don't like.

The thing is, Mewtwo should just be a bit heavier, at least more than average. He's a heavyweight in the games, after all. But just more weight would be good. Seriously, the way he's light in Melee is just really unforgivable.
I'm not against adding some weight to Mewtwo, I encourage it, but I think we need a villain that isn't a heavyweight, and I think Mewtwo was faster than heavier in the games if you ask me, as I don't recall him being heavy. Then again, this is about the time to get the pokedex out and ask becauase I could be wrong.

EDIT: Also, do I know you? That sig is awfully familiar..

It's not as if this is my first post on SWF, after all.

Smash Hero
I'm not against adding some weight to Mewtwo, I encourage it, but I think we need a villain that isn't a heavyweight, and I think Mewtwo was faster than heavier in the games if you ask me, as I don't recall him being heavy. Then again, this is about the time to get the pokedex out and ask becauase I could be wrong.
Mewtwo is exactly 269.0 lbs. (122.0kg). Not exactly a lightweight.

It's not as if this is my first post on SWF, after all.
I just think I saw that signature of yours before on Zelda Universe.. Meh, I could be wrong.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Mewtwo is exactly 269.0 lbs. (122.0kg). Not exactly a lightweight.
Well, okay then. I am hoping for a villain that isn't a heavyweight though. Though Mewtwo shouldn't be anywhere near Bowser.

I just think I saw that signature of yours before on Zelda Universe.. Meh, I could be wrong.
It's very likely, however, it's not me. After all, I found this banner somewhere.

Smash Hero
Well, okay then. I am hoping for a villain that isn't a heavyweight though. Though Mewtwo shouldn't be anywhere near Bowser.
I don't think Mewtwo will be nearly as heavy as Bowser, but definitely above average weight.

A good non heavy villain might be Wolf O'Donnell, but this is not the thread to discuss that.

It's very likely, however, it's not me. After all, I found this banner somewhere.
Ah, alright then.

sonic smash down

Smash Lord
yeah mew2 doesnt need to be all that heavy but he needs to be heavier then luigi. dont get me wrong i love his recovery and i wouldnt want it to change but he does have more weight then that even if it means changin the best thin he had in melee

and yeah i reconize that sig to but whatevs

XACE-K

Smash Master
yeah mew2 doesnt need to be all that heavy but he needs to be heavier then luigi. dont get me wrong i love his recovery and i wouldnt want it to change but he does have more weight then that even if it means changin the best thin he had in melee
I have the same opinion.

Well in the games, weight had nothing to do with speed. Speed was always an integral part of a battle, but weight was just an arbitrary stat until they changed Low Kick's effect. And even then, it is still fairly insignificant and still has no connection to speed.

Mewtwo's head wasn't in the groudon sticker which had Pokemon Trainer, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Lucario. Things aren't looking good for him.

Gigan X3

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo's head wasn't in the groudon sticker which had Pokemon Trainer, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Lucario. Things aren't looking good for him.
But there's Room for him Right? Right? Sakurai deserves to get one nut ripped if he decided to drop Mewtwo. Hmph!

Maybe he's a Super Secret Character or he Wasn't Unlocked in that Video! Things aren't looking good but let's hope for the best.

Dargum

Smash Rookie
AWWWW CRAP MAN.
i was just thinkling that megadio. i also did not see a mew2 face sign.
crap man i really hope thats just an error. cmon there space for 48 freakin charachters for crying out loud and a majority of us would rather have an animal cross rep over veteran mewtwo???????????????????????????????????

CMON??!!!
im hoping for the best

VisetheStompy

Smash Cadet
I think this is the swan song for Mewtwo as much as Im sad to admit it. The dragoon leak, which was already one of the more amazing confirmed rumors, said Lucarios appearance would come at the cost of Mewtwo's demise. With the video catch confirming the first half the predicition, I think Mewtwo has been giving the axe=(

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Given the latest info concerning the video it's safe to say Mewtwo is truly out, and is ultimately replaced by Lucario. It's a **** shame. I've been constantly waiting for news of him in Brawl too, hoping for buffs. Hell I've been hoping for buffs in a sequel since 2004. He wasn't as bad as most people considered him in Melee, but he had some obvious short comings that I would have loved to have seen addressed.

But yeah, hats off to you Mewtwo. Hopefully we'll see you again in the next smash, although by then I will probably be like 30 and that would be weird for me to be playing smash and as a pokemon for that matter...

Man, on top of everything, now I feel old :-(.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Haha, this pretty much deconfirms him. Why would they have all the other pokemon characters and arbitrarily leave out Mewtwo?

Top Bottom